Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2012, 16:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Automotive air conditioner servicing & maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop
In case of my car, in bumper to bumper traffic the vibrations aren't felt for initial 15-20 mins. My point is in bumper to bumper traffic, engine is not producing its peak power, but the AC is still on consuming almost as much power. Engine power at idling may not be sufficient to power all devices Lights, AC etc, hence, I believe the AC would start drawing power from battery, and I guess this mechanism works well for 15-20 mins, but as battery comes close to draining, the vibrations start.
In your case, for initial 15-20 mins. the engine might not be reaching normal operating temperature. After 15-20mins. when the engine temp. reaches to normal operating temp., the radiator fan turns ON which is causing vibrations.
I think your Linea has Single Fan Common for AC Condenser as well as Radiator. If I am correct, then the Fan rotates faster when the Radiator gets hotter which causes vibrations. Please observe whether after few seconds (30-60 seconds), the vibrations disappear or not.
Old 11th October 2012, 13:31   #47
BHPian

I wouldn't want to hijack the discussions by bringing to the notice of fellow TBHPians a peculiar problem I'm currently facing with the Air Conditioner of my Santro XING 2006 model that is about to reach 60K on the Odometer.

Since the problem is related to AC, I'm posting my query in the same thread rather than starting a new one.

The problem I've faced is around four in the last six months. On a continuous drive of over 120 KMs or so, the AC fails with just the blower pumping and it gets extremely stuffy inside the car. Also, there is water that leaks from the passenger side of the car, from below the dash board. There is absolutely no cooling what so ever.

The problem occurred both when the car was loaded with five adults and two kids as well as the time when there were only two adults and a kid. The driving speed range on both occasions was 80 - 100 KM/Hr.

After the car cools down over night, from the next morning it works absolutely fine as though there has been no trouble. In city driving of mine is hardly 20 KMs a day and I hardly notice a problem with the AC.

I've got the AC checked on a previous service, as recently as two months ago. However, the problem persists. The attitude of the service guys is that they can fix the problem only if there is a problem that they can notice and experience. Find it strange though, since they don't seem to check the car in detail based on symptoms and driving experiences shared with them.

Please do post by sharing your suggestions and remedies for the problem. Thanks in advance.

Andy
Old 11th October 2012, 15:36   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayadalam View Post
I wouldn't want to hijack the discussions by bringing to the notice of fellow TBHPians a peculiar problem I'm currently facing with the Air Conditioner of my Santro XING 2006 model that is about to reach 60K on the Odometer.

Since the problem is related to AC, I'm posting my query in the same thread rather than starting a new one.

The problem I've faced is around four in the last six months. On a continuous drive of over 120 KMs or so, the AC fails with just the blower pumping and it gets extremely stuffy inside the car. Also, there is water that leaks from the passenger side of the car, from below the dash board. There is absolutely no cooling what so ever.
You may want to check the A/C thermostat, its probably cutting off the A/C after sometime.

If A/c cooling is good otherwise, then probably the reason could be a faulty thermostat.
Old 11th October 2012, 15:59   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayadalam
..there is water that leaks from the passenger side of the car, from below the dash board. There is absolutely no cooling what so ever.
The drain pipe might have got choked up. Hence when the pipe gets filled with water, the excess water starts dripping out from the clip where the pipe is fitted below the dashboard.
Get the pipe checked for choking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayadalam
After the car cools down over night, from the next morning it works absolutely fine as though there has been no trouble. In city driving of mine is hardly 20 KMs a day and I hardly notice a problem with the AC.
The water in the drain pipe gets dried up in overnight time and hence you don't notice this problem in following morning.
Old 18th October 2012, 14:01   #50
BHPian

My friends 2 year Old Altis throws hot air. It has automatic climate control. The AC pipe is ice cold though. Would there be a problem with the thermostat? Once can feel the AC compressor working once it is switched on. It seems like AC is doing the exact opposite, throwing hot instead of cold. Can anyone guide what could be the problem? AC condenser fuse could be the culprit?
Old 20th October 2012, 19:33   #51
Senior - BHPian

@sandeep. mishra.
What Temp. has been set on that Altis? (Sorry Mods for one liner)
Old 5th November 2013, 21:30   #52
BANNED

I have a 2007 Swift Petrol VXI-ABD (running on CNG, no climate control just a plain A/C).
I am having some kind of problem with the AC since a few days. The A/C doesn't start cooling immediately. For the first 5-7 minutes, it's as if the A/C off and just the fan is on. And all of a sudden, it's starts cooling. This doesn't seem to be the case where it's cooling slowly. The cooling doesn't gradually increase - it goes from no cooling to cooling almost properly instantaneously after 5-7 minutes. That was a case for a week or so. Now today it's taking 10+ minutes to go from the no cooling to cooling state.

What can be the problem and any recommendations for good A/C mechanics in Bombay's eastern suburbs (Mulund would be great).

For the last one year, I have also had occasional water dripping from under the passenger side glove compartment.

Last edited by carboy : 5th November 2013 at 21:32.
Old 6th November 2013, 05:04   #53
BHPian

Carboy, you can take your car to Unicool. Other members and I have used his services and vouch for his workmanship. he is listed in the Team BHP Directory under Mumbai.
Bomi
Old 6th November 2013, 10:46   #54
BHPian

I own a swift vxi, 2006 model with manual AC control system. In 2010, i had cooling problem on checking with Maruti Service Masters, Chennai they said that gas is out and there isn't any leakage, so filled the gas which lasted until Nov 2013.

From Jan 2013 I noticed 'tick tick' noise while switching on the AC, which eventually fades if the RPM is over 1000. Checked with ABT service, Guindy (had quit servicing with MSM as they are messing with my car to sell new spares), they said that the compressor life is on the verge, it would last another 5K kms only. I thought of replacing the compressor after its completely kaput.

After 5K km, during the regular service, my AC vents, cooling coil had been cleaned (that is what the service engg told me and charged me - don't remember the amount) the cooling effect was very less while taking the delivery after service, I was told that the compressor is weak, gas level is also low (which is good for next 5K kms) that is why the cooling has come down.

After couple of weeks, my AC was just blowing hot air, suspecting something messed during the AC service, i happened to check with the local AC mechanic who discovered a leak in the hot hose & aluminium clip, told that he could do re-clipping (with new hose) which would seal the leak and fill the gas (His quote is Rs.1300/-) The canister used for re-fill opted me out of this mechanic. Now, I have to take my car this weekend to authorised service center to get my AC unit fixed.

Selecting and Buying any car is one big deal, maintaining it is the next big thing. Even the authorized service center guys are messing the car to sell their spares. This is really annoying and posing a challenge to me.
Old 6th November 2013, 10:58   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raguprasad View Post
I own a swift vxi, 2006 model with manual AC control system.
=========This is really annoying and posing a challenge to me.
For AC i would suggest local AC expert first, try to get the info from others in forum for contacts near you and take it there. Dealership will just point blank replace and refill gas and your bill will be 3-4 times
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 11:48   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
For AC i would suggest local AC expert first, try to get the info from others in forum for contacts near you and take it there. Dealership will just point blank replace and refill gas and your bill will be 3-4 times
Thanks Jaggu for your quick turnaround & valuable suggestions.

Found this thread for Chennai car AC mechanic.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...c-chennai.html

Zeroed to Suresh from Kodambakkam, but the last post regarding his presence is a concern. Shall visit him this weekend and shall update.
Old 11th November 2013, 11:55   #57
BHPian

Took my car to Suresh @ Kodambakkam, identified a leak in hot air hose, replaced with a local made, the hose had the Bridgestone branding similar to the stock, but the finish quality (not shiny as Genuine Accessory) of the aluminium pipes wasn't that good, but the mechanic promised me that this would hold good for another 20K kms.

Based on his reputation from fellow BHP-ians, went for it. Fixed the hose, Pressure tested it for 30 mins, vacuum tested for 15 mins, filled the refrigerant (brand new canister -500gm with the seal - don't remember the name), wow after 2 weeks of hot air, my car & I was greeted with cool breeze. Surprisingly the tick-tick noise from Compressor also vanished, it wasn't audible inside the car. Charged 2500/- for this Sunday Job (usually the workshop is closed on Sunday)

Many Thanks for Jaggu, otherwise I would have end up paying big to a Maruti Authorized Service Center for a pathetic work.
Old 22nd November 2013, 14:52   #58
BHPian

Hey guys, a different kind of problem. In my innova, even though the flap is shut, I end up getting in outside air. What could be the problem. The air circulation flap switch is a little notchy but there was no problems till a few months back. The car is 5 years old and is nearing 100 K kms.
Old 22nd November 2013, 15:05   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
Carboy, you can take your car to Unicool. Other members and I have used his services and vouch for his workmanship. he is listed in the Team BHP Directory under Mumbai.
Bomi
Took it to unicool. One relay had gone bad. Total charges Rs. 200.

Things seem OK now. My car is 6.5 years old. Never serviced the A/C till now. Unicool charges 2200 to do a full servicing including gas refill. They said that gas would not remain post service so it would have to be refilled.

What benefit would be there for servicing the A/C. Car cools well enough now. Will I see a significant difference in fuel consumption by servicing the A/C. I drive the car with A/C on almost 90% of the time.
Old 22nd November 2013, 18:02   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Never serviced the A/C till now. Unicool charges 2200 to do a full servicing including gas refill. They said that gas would not remain post service so it would have to be refilled.
This is strange for the gas escaping. The recovery unit should be able to collect the gas within the system. Only the balance of the refrigerant which is filled into the system should be charged for. By the way what equipment were they using? A semi auto or an auto machine shall recover the gas, check for leak by vacuuming and then refill the gas with top up of the remaining quantity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks