Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2014, 11:27   #5686
BHPian

re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

All,

I have some issues with steering of my 2010-EX.

Since this morning, i can hear a 'TACK-TACk-TACK' kind of noise when steering is turned towards left. I comes after half turn of steering towards left from center position.
Noise is significant. Have have recorded it & will post the AV by today EOD. I initially thought that the under body cover is brushing the left tyre can be the issue, but it is not.

I heard this first thing this morning while taking my car out of parking. Was audible throughout the trip to DLF from wakad. But dissappeared while parking it at DLF :(. Will keep a notice of it on my return trip as well.

I am anyways going to visit Auto-Point or Concord motors pune this weekend, to get it checked.
In the interim any expert advice is most welcome. Do you think this is some major issue!
My Extendedwarranty expires on 12th Sep 14.

Regards,
Saurabh.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 27th August 2014 at 11:34.
Old 28th August 2014, 09:14   #5687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
All,

Since this morning, i can hear a 'TACK-TACk-TACK' kind of noise when steering is turned towards left. I comes after half turn of steering towards left from center position.
Noise is significant.
its from suspension. Probably the ends. And it wont be covered under warranty. Get it done from outside mechanic.
ankur_gupta10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:34   #5688
BHPian

Off Late I have been noticing that the RPM fluctuates a bit in idle, usually it's around 800 but sometimes I can feel it changing in Idle, I have seen this in my Wagon R and had to get the Injectors cleaned. Is there any preventive maintainence that can be done to avoid a bigger issue?
Old 3rd September 2014, 14:38   #5689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
Need experts help. How much is cost for replacing engine mounts for Safari? How much time it takes for replacing mounts.
Hi mandyrana,
I am also looking for engine mount replacements.
Has anyone changed them?, please help cost of replacement & time.

Ananth
Old 4th September 2014, 11:28   #5690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
...RPM fluctuates a bit in idle... Injectors cleaned. Is there any preventive maintainence...
Try a can of System-D (or equivalent) in a full tank diesel and also rev the engine by flooring accelerator once in a while after engine is sufficiently warmed up. Try this as it doesn't cost much.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 11:46   #5691
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Try a can of System-D (or equivalent) in a full tank diesel and also rev the engine by flooring accelerator once in a while after engine is sufficiently warmed up. Try this as it doesn't cost much.

-BJ

Hi BJ96,

Can you please let me know where can I get System D in Pune. If I am unable to find System D what's the next best equivalent I can source?
I live in Baner so if there's any dealer in the vicinity it would be great.

Also I was reading through some of the previous posts that System D should be used from the start. I have driven mine for 61k and have never used any additive, the TASS ripped me off at 30k for the decarb and Bardahal treatment though. So would it be safe to use System D or would it clog the injectors with the mess it cleans up?

Thanks,
Ajit

Last edited by Ajitsingh208 : 4th September 2014 at 12:03.
Old 4th September 2014, 11:50   #5692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananth_shukti View Post
Hi mandyrana,

Ananth
I went to Local auto market. Engine mounts were of 900 bucks(Local made of good quality) and replacement cost was 500 and they told me that they will change them in 1-2 hours . But then they checked my old engine mounts and told me that they are fine and not broken and told me not to replace them. Need to have a second opinion here
Old 4th September 2014, 12:02   #5693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi BJ96,

Can you please let me know where can I get System D in Pune. If I am unable to find System D what's the next best equivalent I can source?
I live in Baner so if there's any dealer in the vicinity it would be great.

Thanks,
Ajit
Check at TASC , I once purchased system D+ ( stronger then regular System D).
TASC stock System D and couple of more cleaners recommended in Safari user manual and even if they don't have it in stock you can place an order and they will get it for you.
amitk26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 12:37   #5694
BHPian

Quote:
Off Late I have been noticing that the RPM fluctuates a bit in idle, usually it's around 800 but sometimes I can feel it changing in Idle, I have seen this in my Wagon R and had to get the Injectors cleaned. Is there any preventive maintainence that can be done to avoid a bigger issue?
In my car I was also facing same problem and found that coupling just behind the battery was little loose. Tied it with tie
mandyrana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 12:42   #5695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananth_shukti View Post
Hi mandyrana,

Ananth
I got one Engine mount and the gearbox mount replaced last week. Both were 1700 together and came in tata packaging. Time taken was about 2 hours.
Deeps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 12:43   #5696
BHPian

Quote:
Hi BJ96,

Can you please let me know where can I get System D in Pune.
Thanks,
Ajit
Auto Point at Wakad, near the HP petrol Pump has it. I took it from them, after they ordered it for me. USed it after 45K on my odometer, with No issues.
Concord Motors workshop at Baner also has it.

I tried Additive from 3M at 33KM on my odometer; my engine went mad, literally . Took longer cranking to start in the morning. Sometime failed to start, sometimes started with a sound as if engine was chocking. Had to shut off & restart.
So won't suggest 3M, unless someone else thinks otherwise.
Agree with BJ96 for higher revs sometimes.

Regards,
Saurabh.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 4th September 2014 at 12:45.
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 15:22   #5697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
I got one Engine mount and the gearbox mount replaced last week. Both were 1700 together and came in tata packaging. Time taken was about 2 hours.
Hi Deeps

Could you share after how many kms you replaced the mounts in your safari.
Is there any specific mileage one has to replace them ?,
My safari TCIC has done about 85K kms, is this the time to replace them ? . While switching off the whole car shakes ones, that is the only symptom I thought I would go for this replacement.

Post replacement, do you see any Improvements (reduced vibration etc)

Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 17:02   #5698
Senior - BHPian

Ananth, 85K would be an apt time. Mine has just completed 90K and has done a fair bit off roading. Engine shake at shut-down is the most prominent symptom. This would definitely reduce after changing them. I would advise you get all mounts changed together. Mine is a 2.2 VTT. The TCIC should have cheaper spares.
Old 5th September 2014, 11:44   #5699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Auto Point at Wakad, near the HP petrol Pump has it. I took it from them, after they ordered it for me. USed it after 45K on my odometer, with No issues.
Concord Motors workshop at Baner also has it.

I tried Additive from 3M at 33KM on my odometer; my engine went mad, literally . Took longer cranking to start in the morning. Sometime failed to start, sometimes started with a sound as if engine was chocking. Had to shut off & restart.
So won't suggest 3M, unless someone else thinks otherwise.
Agree with BJ96 for higher revs sometimes.

Regards,
Saurabh.
What were signs that required engine mount to be replaced. Were they broken.
Old 14th September 2014, 00:08   #5700
BHPian

Hi Guys, I have a peculiar problem with my safari,every time I start from a cold start and drive the car for a couple of minutes until I reach the fourth gear and about 65+ speed, while accelerating there seems to be a sudden dead spot(deceleration feeling) for about 1-2 seconds and the vehicle accelerates normal from there on. The problem is this happens almost every alternate day and I cannot replicate it.

It occurs almost at the same speed of 65-70 in fourth gear and always after a cold start maybe first thing in the morning, or while leaving back to come home in the evening but always on a cool engine. The problem does reoccur in the normal drive after that.I dont feel it is a fuel problem as I have been tanking up at the same bunk as usual.So what can this problem be? My car has gone through three timing belt replacements in less then 50K kms so just a bit paranoid,should I be worried?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks