Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2019, 08:21   #6436
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
Pls also get the Alternator checked, I had a similar problem and the alternator belt was fixated and not moving. Finally, issue was nailed down to alternator breaking down. It was repaired by a FNG and now 6 months on works like a charm
Thanks will ask the ASS to check , however, i dont think there is an issue as the battery seems to be holding good and the tacho is also working fine.
Old 18th January 2019, 11:21   #6437
BHPian

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

I wanted to get a set of Alloy wheels for my ride. But wasn't sure how long the alloys will last in this heavy vehicle. So adopted another member's idea and bought a Chrome Paint can. Spent 2 hours and now I have 5 wheels with Chrome finish.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-safarichromed.jpg  

Old 24th January 2019, 14:22   #6438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Could someone guide me some simple DIY steps to check what could be wrong here. Removing and checking transfer case motor looks a tall order right now as I have a trip coming tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,
-BJ
Most probably its earthing issue, i had same problem in my Safari which was resolved.
Please do not allow anyone to open transfercase, i repeat. Its not at all required. 95% issues are around wiring, sensor etc.
If you need any help in Pune, please IM

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 13:15   #6439
BHPian

Last Sunday while driving from Mysore to Bangalore, post negotiating a series rumbler strips/humps the car started severe vibrations and metal clanging noise from the under body. Called Emergency Helpline and got the car to Urs Kar , Hebbal where it was diagnosed as a damaged TVD.

My car is a Storme Dec 2013 model, 77K driven

Quick question, is anyone aware of any known issues with the TVD ?
On the forum i can see a couple of posts where it was changed under warranty and AMC. I have written to TML and awaiting a reply on this.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ml#post4251864 (Ladakh'ed in a Tata Safari Storme)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post3789659 (2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review)

Also want to document the support received from Mr. Raju D (Branch Manager of Urs Kar, Hebbal). He was extremely helpful considering my situation of being stranded with family and it being a Sunday
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-tvd1.jpg  

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-tvd2.jpg  

kochup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 13:59   #6440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochup View Post
Quick question, is anyone aware of any known issues with the TVD ?
On the forum i can see a couple of posts where it was changed under warranty and AMC. I have written to TML and awaiting a reply on this.
Dont think there is any predictable issue with that part. My Storme got a replacement during a service - was checked & found to be wearing out. This was may be a couple of years ago.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 14:14   #6441
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochup View Post
Thanks, will get it checked. There is no error code or CEL and it revs normally on acceleration.

Thanks, will get it checked.
While the rpm fluctuations happens, the engine noise also changes.
I had the same problem in my Safari when almost new.
It used to happen on cold start, and sometimes even when hot, esp after revving the engine.
We replaced
1. Head
2. Injectors
3. Common rain
4. Fuel return line
5. Fuel pump
6. EGR

Countless other parts. It minimized, and went away almost 100%, unless at high altitude.

Then my ECU went kaput.
Got Brand new ECU, and problem did not happen even at 16000+ feet early morning at Kyun Tso.

No Error codes, no check engine light, NADA, nothing.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 15:27   #6442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetp View Post
In my 2014 Aria service manual, TVD change is suggested at 60K KM. I think Storme should also be having similar service schedule.
Thanks Abhijeet, i just checked the manual and TVD inspection is marked against every service and am not sure if anybody has checked this at all as I am sure that some signs of aging/Wear and Tear should have been visible had it been checked. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I had the same problem in my Safari when almost new.
It used to happen on cold start, and sometimes even when hot, esp after revving the engine.
Countless other parts. It minimized, and went away almost 100%, unless at high altitude.
Not sure what changed but it has disappeared for now (or) almost cannot be noticed with no action from my side. Hoping for now that it remains so else am planning to add some additive and check if it goes away as suggested some posts above.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th March 2019 at 15:33. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 5th March 2019, 23:09   #6443
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod: Technical discussion moved to this thread from the Storme Review thread
Old 26th March 2019, 18:03   #6444
BHPian

All of a sudden Horn stopped working in my storme. After repeatedly pressing the horn pad for some time and doing some random actions on indicator sticks and light switches, it started to work again. But I sense the sound is also not in regular pitch now.

Can it be an issue with horn itself or anything related to fuse has to be checked? Please advise.
Old 26th March 2019, 22:02   #6445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
All of a sudden Horn stopped working in my storme.
Can it be an issue with horn itself or anything related to fuse has to be checked? Please advise.
It might be a wrong analysis from my side, but seems like one of the twin horns has gone kaput (the Dicor had "shrill" and "loud" horns working in tandem, and assuming Storme has it too).
dkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 22:14   #6446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One check you can do - open the grille to access the horns. Check if the connectors are in place. Once this is taken care of, you can look for next steps if problem persists.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 09:51   #6447
BHPian

Quote:
All of a sudden Horn stopped working in my storme. After repeatedly pressing the horn pad for some time and doing some random actions on indicator sticks and light switches, it started to work again. But I sense the sound is also not in regular pitch now.
Please advise.
It is a common problem with horns. When water is splashed into the horns, they develop rust in the electrical contacts. Soon they start giving different sounds when you press the horn button and they die intermittently. Ask a good automobile electrician to 'repair' the horns. They might even change the contacts and all for about Rs.250 per horn. Tata service centers won't repair any electricals - they just replace. Horn repair hardly takes about an hour.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 10:55   #6448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think all it requires is Thorough drying and tuning. Suggest to dry the horn using a hair drier for some time and allow it to dry for few hours in hot sun. Then, there will be a small screw which you can adjust yourself with a small screwdriver.

This will do the trick
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 15:39   #6449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
It might be a wrong analysis from my side, but seems like one of the twin horns has gone kaput (the Dicor had "shrill" and "loud" horns working in tandem, and assuming Storme has it too).
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
One check you can do - open the grille to access the horns. Check if the connectors are in place. Once this is taken care of, you can look for next steps if problem persists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
It is a common problem with horns. When water is splashed into the horns, they develop rust in the electrical contacts. Soon they start giving different sounds when you press the horn button and they die intermittently. Ask a good automobile electrician to 'repair' the horns. They might even change the contacts and all for about Rs.250 per horn. Tata service centers won't repair any electricals - they just replace. Horn repair hardly takes about an hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I think all it requires is Thorough drying and tuning. Suggest to dry the horn using a hair drier for some time and allow it to dry for few hours in hot sun. Then, there will be a small screw which you can adjust yourself with a small screwdriver.

This will do the trick
Thank you so much. I will try all your suggestions and share an update soon.
Old 27th March 2019, 20:47   #6450
BHPian

Came across a simple DIY video on how to repair car horn. Though it may not be so simple when it comes down to doing it yourself, it may help you in getting an idea on how it works. I've seen it done on my car horn by an automobile electrician, & it works. You might want to give it a try if you're a DIY guy, else a competent automobile electrician could set it right for you

Cheers !

Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed