Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2021, 13:08   #6511
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
My Safari Dicor has started leaking oil and the authorized service center in ECR, Chennai diagnosed the problem with a seal in the power steering. They asked me to replace the power steering pump assembly at a cost of Rs.22000/ + labour. The pump is not faulty and it can be serviced with a repair kit. But they won't do in authorized service center. Any Chennai user who knows a good, reliable garage in Adyar area ? I would be grateful for any ideas.

Thanks in advance.
If the repair kit is available officially from TATA and the service center is refusing to do it, you have two options

1. Purchase the repair kit and get it fixed at an FNG
2. Visit other TASS
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 13:24   #6512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If the repair kit is available officially from TATA and the service center is refusing to do it, you have two options

1. Purchase the repair kit and get it fixed at an FNG
2. Visit other TASS
Thanks Sagarpadaki. I checked the boodmo and the repair kit costs around 3k and the pump costs about 7k. But the whole assembly costs Rs.22k. Considering the age (12 years) I am a little confused. I will have to live with this for as long as I can. It has done barely 54k and I am using it for highway trips. The car is excellent and it appears it can outlive me.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 14:23   #6513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sagarpadaki. I checked the boodmo and the repair kit costs around 3k and the pump costs about 7k. But the whole assembly costs Rs.22k. Considering the age (12 years) I am a little confused. I will have to live with this for as long as I can. It has done barely 54k and I am using it for highway trips. The car is excellent and it appears it can outlive me.
The leak can be fixed with the repair kit. That is why it is available as child part right. Why spend 22K when you can solve the problem in 3K plus labor costs?
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 20:31   #6514
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The leak can be fixed with the repair kit. That is why it is available as child part right. Why spend 22K when you can solve the problem in 3K plus labor costs?
If the repair kit will solve the issue, then just go ahead with that. Also would recommend finding a good FNG for all such niggles and issues that will come along - as your car is 12 years old and a Tata product, the maintenance requirements will only increase further. I know you are inclined to hold on to the Safari for a few more years, shifting from TASS to a FNG will help to keep the maintenance costs in check and you might just get a better quality of workmanship. As the parts are easily available on Boodmo or locally, going to TASS is not necessary. It may take a few hits and misses to locate the right FNG, but once you do it will be worth the effort.
robbie_KL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 09:21   #6515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_KL View Post
If the repair kit will solve the issue, then just go ahead with that. Also would recommend finding a good FNG for all such niggles and issues that will come along - as your car is 12 years old and a Tata product, the maintenance requirements will only increase further. I know you are inclined to hold on to the Safari for a few more years, shifting from TASS to a FNG will help to keep the maintenance costs in check and you might just get a better quality of workmanship. As the parts are easily available on Boodmo or locally, going to TASS is not necessary. It may take a few hits and misses to locate the right FNG, but once you do it will be worth the effort.
The main issue is to find the right FNG. I tried a couple of them locally but I didn't go with them. One quoted around 18k and another quoted around 10k. Frankly I would go with the TASS as they would replace the whole assembly. If the repair was not done properly it will affect its reliability. Safari is not cheap to maintain - I realize now.
Old 24th March 2021, 09:55   #6516
BHPian

Quote:
The main issue is to find the right FNG. I tried a couple of them locally but I didn't go with them. One quoted around 18k and another quoted around 10k. Frankly I would go with the TASS as they would replace the whole assembly. If the repair was not done properly it will affect its reliability. Safari is not cheap to maintain - I realize now.
When I was living in Delhi, I used to service my Safari at a multi brand workshop - World of Service. They were pretty good and were also knowledgeable about working on the Safari. They have opened up a workshop in Chennai as well, in Kolapakkam. You can google the exact location and contact numbers. There is also a review of the garage in team bhp.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenn...e-chennai.html (Car repairs & maintenance - World of Service, Chennai)

Would recommend if you are still inclined to give it a try.
robbie_KL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 10:13   #6517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_KL View Post
When I was living in Delhi, I used to service my Safari at a multi brand workshop - World of Service. They were pretty good and were also knowledgeable about working on the Safari. They have opened up a workshop in Chennai as well, in Kolapakkam.

Would recommend if you are still inclined to give it a try.
Thanks again Robbie. Because of the difficulty in finding a good FNG, I had to sell 3 cars in the last 9 years. Most of the garages I went pilfered parts. In the case of TASS, they steal valuables left in the car - which at least makes us guilty of leaving valuables behind.
I tip the SA and some times the lead mechanic working in my car so that they do a good job. It has worked all these years.
Old 13th April 2021, 23:14   #6518

Safari Dicor 4x4 VX 2011- RPM fluctuations
Hi,
I'm new to team-bhp and this is my first thread ever online. I own a Safari Dicor 4x4 2011 model and it has done 142000 kms. I recently changed the rear suspension, Clutch plates, front disk brakes, and all brake pads- all service done from Tata service center, Kochi. The vehicle has no major complaints now except for the sudden rpm fluctuations that I notice with huge sound variations from the engine bay. It tends to vibrate extra when the rpm fluctuates. I have noticed the fluctuations during cold start more, than I see it in other idle conditions when the engine is warm. I have seen this topic discussed in the same thread 10years ago on new machines, but was unable to find a resolution, hence bringing this topic up again, considering this is now on a close to 10 year old vehicle.
When I got all the other parts replaced, I did mention this rpm fluctuation issue on idle to the service technician, but did not get any proper response then. I was also not much concerned as the issue was not very frequent then, but they said it could be the injectors. I Would appreciate if I could get some guidance before I park my vehicle in the service center for a week
Thanks!
Old 13th April 2021, 23:23   #6519
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praj28 View Post
Hi,
I'm new to team-bhp and this is my first thread ever online. I own a Safari Dicor 4x4 2011 model and it has done 142000 kms. I recently changed the rear suspension, Clutch plates, front disk brakes, and all brake pads- all service done from Tata service center, Kochi. The vehicle has no major complaints now except for the sudden rpm fluctuations that I notice with huge sound variations from the engine bay. It tends to vibrate extra when the rpm fluctuates. I have noticed the fluctuations during cold start more, than I see it in other idle conditions when the engine is warm. I have seen this topic discussed in the same thread 10years ago on new machines, but was unable to find a resolution, hence bringing this topic up again, considering this is now on a close to 10 year old vehicle.
When I got all the other parts replaced, I did mention this rpm fluctuation issue on idle to the service technician, but did not get any proper response then. I was also not much concerned as the issue was not very frequent then, but they said it could be the injectors. I Would appreciate if I could get some guidance before I park my vehicle in the service center for a week
Thanks!
I had these on my Safari when it was brand new.
After changing parts like injectors, fuel pump, fuel lines etc., etc., they used to go away and come back after few days.
So I learnt to live with it.

Then the vehicle went out of warranty, and ECU died, and once I paid money for the ECU the problem went away permanently. Since your vehicle is out of warranty, the problem may go away with whatever part you change. The Safari is not a vehicle, its a God and demands monetary sacrifice.

Jokes apart. I have no idea if it was the ECU, and neither does Tata. I would say, live with it for now, or it will be an endless money pit.
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 23:38   #6520

Thanks for the advice tsk1979. I completely agree to your point, this beast demands a lot of monetary sacrifice:-).
I too thought that I will live with it, but was sceptical if it would do any harm to the engine, hence took the topic here. But will take your advice for now.
Also Thanks for the quick revert, and it's my first experience of writing on a forum and getting a quick response made me much happier as well!
Praj28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 09:00   #6521
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
The vehicle has no major complaints now except for the sudden rpm fluctuations that I notice with huge sound variations from the engine bay. It tends to vibrate extra when the rpm fluctuates. I have noticed the fluctuations during cold start more, than I see it in other idle conditions when the engine is warm.
Had the same issue on a Storme which is documented here
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4519770 (The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread)

Visited 3 garages to get opinions on this
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4733671 (The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread)

This solution works temporarily though i have not added them on consecutive tank fulls as i read somewhere (not sure manual or here on TBHP) that additives are not recommended for Storme
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4520303 (The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread)
kochup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 17:58   #6522
BHPian

My Safari shutdown completely while driving

Today While driving my Safari Dicor 2.2 it behaved crazy, the all dials, digital display in the cluster died and engine got shut down.

Two weeks before changed new Battery and leaky brake oil metal hose got replaced as the gear was not engaging.

Two days before rear Air conditioning unit's aluminium pipe which was leaky with holes got identified, changed the ac pipe and charged AC gas.

Today Battery symbol was not going off after cranking. The door open symbol was on. Today I drove total 10kms.

Today After the engine shutoff, The door locks didnot open from inside. While trying to crank engine it didnot start.

After I pulled the driver door lever from inside, driver door opened and I got down but once I closed it, driver door didnot open with the key or through remote key from outside.

Now when I press the remote key car blinker dont respond. My back pack got inside my Safari.

What to do? Any suggestions?

Electrical Wiring issue / EMS problem? I am not happy with the reliability of my Safari 2.2.
Old 14th April 2021, 19:05   #6523
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Safari shutdown completely while driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post

Today Battery symbol was not going off after cranking. The door open symbol was on. Today I drove total 10kms.

Today After the engine shutoff, The door locks didnot open from inside. While trying to crank engine it didnot start.

After I pulled the driver door lever from inside, driver door opened and I got down but once I closed it, driver door didnot open with the key or through remote key from outside.
Alternator - looks like that has packed up and taken a few things with it.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 00:23   #6524

Quote:
Originally Posted by atu2good View Post
I have a Tata Safari 2.2 Dicor. I was unhappy with the night time highway performance of the OEM headlights & after the warranty expired I got the standard lamps replaced with Philips H4 Rally (12V 130/100W) + Minda 130/100W relay.

Still not satisfied with the light throw during highway drives at night. Looking for HID or Projector with DRL.

Kindly suggest options.

(pic attached)
Hi,
I own a Safari Dicor VX 4x4 2011 model. I was also unhappy with the stock lights on the throw of light, and then shifted to Osram all weather 100/90w with a Hitachi relay and I'm quite satisfied now. A pair of bulb cost me 650 rupees and the relay some 1800/- bucks. Its expected to perform well in the rains and Misty conditions too, but I'm yet to test. The colour of the lights are some extra yellowish colour, so hope it does well in the hill station too.
Praj28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 10:14   #6525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Thanks!
IIRC, For One similar issue in another 4x4 it was the sensor in fuel pump, check thread by tsk1979.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks