World of Service, Noida

Total expenses including service was 30k
sheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2020, 20:54   #6467
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochup View Post
Slight RPM fluctuations on idle, it reduces once the engine is hot but does not go away.

Any ideas what needs to be checked.

Thanks

Visited 3 garages today to get an opinion on this and a small engine seepage

Feedback from
FNG -
a) RPM Fluctuations -
Could be some sensor issue
Get an opinion from TASC, repair if it does not cost much
Can be ignored without much issues

Leak / Seepage
Normal for Tata vehicles, ignore

Kropex (Hosa Road)
Was busy in the morning with some camp for Harrier, however couple of guys did check the vehicle and asked to bring it in for further analysis. Told them will come back at a less busy time

Concorde Motors (Kudlu Gate)
a) RPM Fluctuations -
- Caused due to fuel pump/injectors
- Needs to be serviced/changed upto 40K
- Will progressively increase resulting in White smoke, Engine shutdown at signal etc

b) Leak / Seepage
-The bolt can be removed and put back after applying sealant
- Else 2 parts needs to be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-engine-seepage.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 18th January 2020 at 21:53. Reason: Removing video URL.
kochup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2020, 10:20   #6468
BHPian

Quote:
Visited 3 garages today to get an opinion on this and a small engine seepage

Feedback from

a) RPM Fluctuations -
- Will progressively increase resulting in White smoke, Engine shutdown at signal etc
Had the same problem with my Safari a few years ago. I was told it was the Fuel Delivery Valve issue in the Fuel Pump. Luckily since I was in extended warranty, the entire Fuel Pump was replaced under it.

If it is a sensor issue, they it should throw up a error code on the diagnostic system.
Ameya Janvekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 16:00   #6469
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:

a) RPM Fluctuations -
I have this at the same place in my storme. I got it checked more than twice with Concorde kudlu gate, where i usually service. They have removed the screw and bolted it back with some sealant. but it did not stop completely. As per technicians , it is caused due to vapor generation , I was asked not to worry much and drive. Driving with it for more than 10k kms now and no issues so far. I don't see any RPM fluctuation in my case.

Last edited by BulZire : 20th January 2020 at 16:09.
BulZire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 15:54   #6470
BHPian

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

I recently serviced my Safari (2.2 Dicor LX) at a Bosch Service Center nearby. I assumed that they will use 15W40 grade oil as per company recommendation (my bad I did not check with them specifically). But I had to visit them with another car yesterday and found that they are using 5W30 for all diesel cars there. Confirmed that it is the same oil that they used in my car as well. They said they have never used 15W30 ever in their workshop.

Now, do you think I should flush out this oil and use 15W40 ASAP? The temperature here in Kochi is around 35C to 37C and I am also planning a few long drives to Chennai, Blore, Hampi etc. Will it be wise to change it ASAP or is it OK to use this for sometime? Please advice.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 25th February 2020 at 15:56.
Old 9th March 2020, 23:15   #6471
BHPian

I have a Tata Safari 2.2 Dicor. I was unhappy with the night time highway performance of the OEM headlights & after the warranty expired I got the standard lamps replaced with Philips H4 Rally (12V 130/100W) + Minda 130/100W relay.

Still not satisfied with the light throw during highway drives at night. Looking for HID or Projector with DRL.

Kindly suggest options.

(pic attached)
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-img_7572.jpg  

Old 9th March 2020, 23:48   #6472
BHPian

Safari Dicor has a non-round fog lamp, which makes the option of the multi-beam fog lamps a tough task. Few options that could be suggested are -

1. Bi-Led projectors inside the headlight. Bi-Led's are the best like this for example. This may involve opening the lamp and resealing it back. A botched up job may result in water seeping inside.

2. Aux lamps. You can attach a pair of additional auxiliary lamps outside the grill. There are ample halogen/HID/LED options available based on your budget or requirements. These are mostly single beams (spot).

3. DIY - NOTE - This is a personal wishlist! I'll consult an expert before attempting such a modification. Won't recommend you to proceed without consultation.

It would be a DIY aux lamp by using a round halogen sealed beam unit (Preferably from the Bajaj Avenger for the perfect size). Fabricate a nice mount and use 130/100W bulbs with a relay and revert the 65/60W Philips Xtremevision/Osram Nightbreakers in the headlamps. Wire it serially with the headlamps to ensure they sync. Expert opinions are welcome!
Old 10th March 2020, 02:02   #6473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atu2good View Post
I have a Tata Safari 2.2 Dicor.
Still not satisfied with the light throw during highway drives at night. Looking for HID or Projector with DRL. Kindly suggest options.
My suggestion is that you get an bi-xenon projectors (3.0 inches) installed inside the Headlamps. You would get at least 40-50% increase in the illumination. The beam pattern would be great. I have done 5-6 installations (DIY)on dicor and I would say its pretty straight forward.

Cost would be around 12k (approx) for projector kit, installation depends in your city.

Projector kit consists of below

2x projector lens (housing)
2x Hid bulbs
2x Ballasts 55w
1x wiring kit (h4 to hid conversion, plug & play)
Few fastners, adapter etc.
Old 10th March 2020, 09:33   #6474
BHPian

Quote:
I have a Tata Safari 2.2 Dicor. I was unhappy with the night time highway performance of the OEM headlights
Go for Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited for your head lamps. The standard 55 W will not cloud your head light housing. Buy LED lightbar and fix that. I have tried 126 W /18000 Lumen Cree LED lightbar for sometime.
It is really powerful. But the angle has to be adjusted right or else you will blind the oncoming traffic.
My fixture was not strong enough and it slowly drifted up. Until I found a better fixture, I had to remove the lightbar. It baths everything before you in a white light. Even the black tar road looks grey under its light. When you turn it off, your eyes need to adjust to the 'dim' head light.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 11:00   #6475
BHPian

I have a 2012 model Tata Safari Dicor LX Model. It has run 1.2 lakh kilometres to date and so far has been very reliable. The truck has been serviced at a reliable FNG post warranty expiry and has been very well maintained. Services have been timely and I run it exclusively on synthetic oil of the correct grade. I use Liquimoly diesel injecter cleaner once every year. I have driven it from Delhi to Kerala last year and also numerous other highway trips. There have been no major mechanical issues / replacements other than routine wear and tear items.

I am looking for some advise from experienced owners of the Dicor on whether I should continue owning the vehicle or sell it off now as Tata's from this generation have a reputation of not ageing well. The vehicle is unbeatable for what it does and if sold I dont think there is any other vehicle in my price range (<20 lakhs) that can satisfactorily replace it. If you suggest that I hold on to the vehicle, please suggest what major replacements / issues that I should keep an eye out for.

As of now, there is a slight oil leak at the crankshaft which does not drip nor does it cause a reduction in oil level. My mechanic says its common in Tata's and suggested not to worry about it. He said that he will replace the seal along with the clutch replacement work whenever the latter comes due.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 9th July 2020 at 11:04. Reason: Adding spacing between paras.
Old 9th July 2020, 11:27   #6476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_KL View Post
I am looking for some advise from experienced owners of the Dicor .The vehicle is unbeatable for what it does and if sold I dont think there is any other vehicle in my price range (<20 lakhs) that can satisfactorily replace it. If you suggest that I hold on to the vehicle, please suggest what major replacements / issues that I should keep an eye out for.
Check your Safari's body shell for serious corrosion build up. I am used to having cars upto 15 years. Generally Tata cars have better quality of steel sheet and last long. The Dicor engine is equally hardy and last long with normal maintenance schedule.
Replace engine timing belt, pulley and water pump every 4 years. Rubber bushes and suspension require attention every 5 years as it is a heavy weight champion. My friend still runs a TCIC Safari from 1998 with more than three hundred thousand kilometers run engine.
Prowler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 11:38   #6477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Check your Safari's body shell for serious corrosion build up. I am used to having cars upto 15 years. Generally Tata cars have better quality of steel sheet and last long. The Dicor engine is equally hardy and last long with normal maintenance schedule.
Replace engine timing belt, pulley and water pump every 4 years. Rubber bushes and suspension require attention every 5 years as it is a heavy weight champion. My friend still runs a TCIC Safari from 1998 with more than three hundred thousand kilometers run engine.
Yes, the timing and suspension work was done 2 years back. There is no corrosion on the body other than some rusting on the lower edge of the tail gate due to water accumulation. I fixed it myself during the lockdown using a grinder to remove the rust, followed by 2 coats of primer spray, 3 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear coat. As the affected part is under the plastic panel of the tail gate I did not have to worry too much about paint matching
robbie_KL is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 11:14   #6478
BHPian

I had left my 2008 Safari parked for a few days. I had to remove the immobilizer fuse (20A) for some reason and the fuse lead was too hot to touch. Is this normal or should I get the wiring checked for grounding?
Old 16th July 2020, 13:20   #6479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a Tata Safari 2.2 Dicor. I was unhappy with the night time highway performance of the OEM headlights & after the warranty expired I got the standard lamps replaced with Philips H4 Rally (12V 130/100W) + Minda 130/100W relay.

Still not satisfied with the light throw during highway drives at night. Looking for HID or Projector with DRL.

Kindly suggest options.

(pic attached)

Try Osram Nightbreakers. I found them better than the Philips in terms of light temperature therefore visibility. I used the stock wattage though.
smsrini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 00:16   #6480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Try Osram Nightbreakers. I found them better than the Philips in terms of light temperature therefore visibility. I used the stock wattage though.
+1 Can personally vouch for the Nightbreakers of stock wattage.

One a separate note, could anyone recommend a good independent garage experienced with working on all aspects of the Safari in Ernakulam / Kottayam district of Kerala? Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks