Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2021, 11:24   #6526
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Safari shutdown completely while driving

I had same issue appearing and disappointing on its own for many months. Showed it to TASS but no fix finally ot was a small DIY

Take out the negative terminal connector of battery it is press fitted on thick copper cable. Over a period soot mixed with vaseline/grease they apply find way in thr gap between cable and the connector and provides insulation.
Usually they just clean terminal and connector but noone pulls put connector from cable and check the condition of cable surface.

Solution : clan cable till copper cable strands are shiny. Replace the terminal connector with another from battery shop preferably with Nuts to tighten cable and not press fitted.
Also clean the surface where battery is conncted to the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Today While driving my Safari Dicor 2.2 it behaved crazy, the all dials, digital display in the cluster died and engine got shut down.

Two weeks before changed new Battery and leaky brake oil metal hose got replaced as the gear was not engaging.

Two days before rear Air conditioning unit's aluminium pipe which was leaky with holes got identified, changed the ac pipe and charged AC gas.

Today Battery symbol was not going off after cranking.

What to do? Any suggestions?

Electrical Wiring issue / EMS problem? I am not happy with the reliability of my Safari 2.2.
amitk26 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 11:51   #6527
BHPian

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Today morning jump started Safari and it cranked. All displays came live. Took it to near by go-mechanic workshop where I replaced clutch and brake hoses to fix gear shift problem. Now workshop is saying alternator is faulty and to get serviced. To change both bearings, replace diode, cutoff. For this alternator service workshop gave an estimate of 4000/- without labour.

Wiper wash pump and wiper motor were working two days before now after the engine immobilizer start problem and engine scan error flushing done at independent car obd scan person, he said from ECU for ignition relay, and accessories relay ground return signal is not coming hence no symbols on instrument cluster and no cranking happened. Engine obd scan person cut two brown colour ground wires from ingnition relay and accessories relay directly connected to ground on body sheet. Then engine cranking happened, ac working , audio power came. But horn, wiper wash motors are still not working.

Yesterday battery light was on after cranking and engine shutdown.

Now electrical ground return signal issue to be sorted out and alternator to be serviced.

Annoyed with reliability issues and expensive maintenance of my Tata Safari.

My Safari was idle not even used once for 18 months during corona and before.

Now restoring my Safari. Changed new battery, new tyres, fixed AC unit, replaced clutch, brake hoses. Now alternator service and electrical wiring ground return signal fixing.

I Hope my Safari after these maintenance becomes city /highway worthy.
harimakesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 12:28   #6528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
...I Hope my Safari after these maintenance becomes city /highway worthy.
Did you try taking it to TASS and have a check done by them as well?
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 12:43   #6529
BHPian

I have very bitter experience with Concorde as I bought this Safari Dicor in Second hand the SA hidden its service history and after bought it developed white smoke issue and Concorde fleeced me by doing engine work and without approval changed turbo and footed me with a bill of 1.85L no help from Tata motors too.

Hence I am hesitant of going to Tata motors Service for my Safari as Concorde has been sold to Lakshmi Tata.

If Go-Mechanic fixes alternator by servicing it and wiper wash motor, Horn by resolving electrical ground return signal issue I am fine with it.

If this fails then I will have to approach Lakshmi Tata with erstwhile Concorde service personnel
harimakesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 15:00   #6530

Tata Safari VX 4x4 2011- loud fan noise and vibration! (145000km done)
My vehicle started having a new problem for the past one week. After driving for 10kms approx, there is a loud noise from the fan and the Vehicle throws high vibrations as well. If I ignore this and continue to drive, then the noise from the fan and vibration goes off in say 500m drive or so and then I continued to drive for 100 plus kms without any issues.
The issue started next again when I started driving for 10 kms after a cold start. Now I tried to stop the vehicle by the road side when this noise and vibration were observed. Even after the ignition is off, the fan continued to run with a noise for approximately 2-3 minutes and then only shuts off. I haven't taken it to the service center yet due to lockdown. Any suggestions here from the Dicor owners?
Thanks,
Prajeesh
Old 23rd May 2021, 19:59   #6531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praj28 View Post
My vehicle started having a new problem for the past one week. After driving for 10kms approx, there is a loud noise from the fan and the Vehicle throws high vibrations as well. If I ignore this and continue to drive, then the noise from the fan and vibration goes off in say 500m drive or so and then I continued to drive for 100 plus kms without any issues.
Can be a few things from loose battey to erratic alternator to injectors to timing belt that are on their way out. please monitor the fuel level and engine temp at the time of occurrence. Also tighten up the battery terminals and make sure all fluids are taken care of.

I do not own a dicor.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 09:26   #6532
BHPian

Quote:
Even after the ignition is off, the fan continued to run with a noise for approximately 2-3 minutes and then only shuts off.
This is normal, if you have been using the AC. If it doesn't cut off , then its the condenser fan relay that's the culprit. If this occurs even without switching on the AC, it could be something related to the temperature sensor/radiator fan/relays.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 14:30   #6533

Haven't checked this without AC. Will check this. But the surprise element is that once Im done with 10km, I did not notice this issue for the next 100 km until I reached my destination. But it happens again in the first 10km after a cold start. Anyways will check without AC and will update the thread post lockdown and will take it to the service center as well.
Old 25th May 2021, 10:36   #6534
BHPian

Quote:
Even after the ignition is off, the fan continued to run with a noise for approximately 2-3 minutes and then only shuts off. I haven't taken it to the service center yet due to lockdown. Any suggestions here from the Dicor owners?
The AC fan running after the engine shut down is not a problem. If the temperature is high, the fan will continue to run for a couple of minutes on its own. It is normal. But in your case, the fan motor's bush bearing may be worn out which explains the noise. When you run longer distances, the RAM effect may cool the engine sufficiently to mask the slow speed of the fan. Observe the fan speed when idle. It will give a clue to the cause. If the fan is vibrating, it points to the worn bush. You have run 145000 km. Before condemning the fan, check visually that there is nothing which fouls the fan enclosure.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 09:20   #6535

I just noticed yesterday that there were a few drops of engine coolant dripping from the engine guard from the bottom of the vehicle.
Old 26th May 2021, 10:19   #6536
BHPian

Quote:
I just noticed yesterday that there were a few drops of engine coolant dripping from the engine guard from the bottom of the vehicle.
So there is a leak in the radiator/hoses. Attend to it first before the engine starts overheating.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 14:11   #6537
BHPian

Quote:
The issue started next again when I started driving for 10 kms after a cold start. Now I tried to stop the vehicle by the road side when this noise and vibration were observed. Even after the ignition is off, the fan continued to run with a noise for approximately 2-3 minutes and then only shuts off. I haven't taken it to the service center yet due to lockdown. Any suggestions here from the Dicor owners?
Thanks,
Prajeesh
If you know about the status of ball joints and tie rods and they seem fine then it seems to be engine mounting issue. You can also tighten suspension bolts to check. Radiator fan going on for a minute is normal but more than a minute is coolant temperature sensor malfunction or fan relay problem along with radiator mounting bush gone bad which is causing the vibration.
Sran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 20:06   #6538

I just topped up the coolant by a litre, haven't got a chance to take it out or to the service technician yet due to the lockdown in the state. Hopefully next week!
Old 25th June 2021, 20:19   #6539
BHPian

Hi

I brought a safari back in 2011, more of a heart than head business. It does bring regret at times, but there is nothing more me, wife or kids have a special connection, which makes me want to keep it for a while more.

The car was maintained at a TASS from the first service till 2019. More specific with the same dealer after the third service. However, in 2019 on a long trip, I started to feel something not so smooth while accelerating. Knowing that little about all the mechanicals I thought its something minor and thankful to God we were all back home with no issues.

Dropped my car back at a place doing my I.C.E before the trip for him to finish the install, only for him to call up the next day that, when he started the car to move it front and suddenly heard sounds of bell and he has turned off the car.

Took a mechanic to find that the timing belt had given way. In fact, it was the shredding sound that I was hearing on the trip. TASS had been always doing the services ahead of Kilometer as mine was a low mileage car, Which meant if it was 16K they were doing mostly 40 or 45K service and everything in the manual.

I was dumbstruck as to why this happened and my issues with my car started from that day and my regrets started too.

I had a local mechanic do the engine as I didn't have the trust to take it back to the TASS. He said since it wasn't on the move nothing much has happened inside, but the injectors need to be changed and so on. Which meant he had to just open the engine up and not have it off the car.

After 2 years of very sparing usage since the engine minor overhaul and along with having a diseltronic fitted now (Which was lying around before the trip!!), I have now a MAF Sensor error which the technician says will need to be changed, the turning radius has just reduced after the left front shocks had been changed, the center A/C controls are kaput and cant change the mode of airflow, and finally, I have diesel pumping off the leak-off rail injector tubing.

What can be possibly done now to get it back together? Can it be ever like the car that I had taken off the showroom? Why has the leak-off rail started to pump fuel upon bringing the car to rest, is it the dieseltronic or is it a faulty leak-off rail tube as the mechanic says, or is it an injector issue. Why has the suspension change brought about a change in the turning radius?

Last edited by jobinjv : 25th June 2021 at 20:20.
Old 25th June 2021, 21:17   #6540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobinjv View Post

What can be possibly done now to get it back together? Can it be ever like the car that I had taken off the showroom? Why has the leak-off rail started to pump fuel upon bringing the car to rest, is it the dieseltronic or is it a faulty leak-off rail tube as the mechanic says, or is it an injector issue. Why has the suspension change brought about a change in the turning radius?
Assuming the body and Interior is in good shape. Then Yes.

Find a good technician who can be paid good money to test drive your vehicle, note down everything wrong with it and then put it up on the lift and inspect every nut and bolt underneath. Once you receive an estimate, be ready to spare no expense and get it fixed - this is the only way to do it.

As far as I have seen diesel tronic intercepts the signals to the injectors and has no clue what the engine is going, it will do it's bit to kill your engine , but I assume you do not use it as much.

Suspension change would have messed with the geometry, Dicor needs shims installed to correct it, which is the usual practice.

Lastly - Do you have use for a diesel UV ? If yes it would be worth it , else No. Diesels need to run regularly.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks