Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2016, 21:51   #6316
BANNED

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
Hello Tbhpians.

I own a 2007 Dicor 2.2 which has done 93k km.
Start with three things IMO: -

1. Get your EGR and exhaust manifold dismantled and cleaned with petrol and put back.

2. Get your accelerator pedal sensor swapped with another vehicle and check.

3. Get your ECU swapped with another normal vehicle and check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Hey as suggested I will be visiting Bosch Car care tomorrow.
Shall I move back to Synthetic or continue on mineral?
Do they(Bosch) have synthetic oil available with them else I have to carry that along as I used to do with TASS earlier?
Frankly, I do not see a lot of benefit in Synthetic oil but since you have done 135k km, I'd say, keep it synthetic. You also seem to like it.

They usually have oil available with them. If they dont, they ll get it for you. Dont worry about carrying it.

Let me know via PM or an email to n.devdath@gmail.com once you are there, I ll talk to Devender.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2016, 12:01   #6317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Frankly, I do not see a lot of benefit in Synthetic oil but since you have done 135k km, I'd say, keep it synthetic. You also seem to like it.

They usually have oil available with them. If they dont, they ll get it for you. Dont worry about carrying it.

Let me know via PM or an email to n.devdath@gmail.com once you are there, I ll talk to Devender.
Hello I got my car serviced yesterday and experience was good. The owner as you told is really nice guy who is not after looting customers. Thanks for calling and informing him about my visit.

He checked clutch and suspension and told immediate replacement is not required. I felt he is not forcing you to change/replace things unless completely worn out.

Below is the total bill summary:
Coolant - 480
Oil Filter - 310
Air Filter - 690
Engine Oil - 6675
Washing and Labour - 1000

Total -: 9155
But I paid 10225 as I did card payment.
roby_dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 09:01   #6318
Senior - BHPian

At about 49,000 kms, my Safari now needs first brake pad change. The OEM set costs about 3000/- for the front, while Rane and SKF costs about 1600/- at spareshub.com.

What brand is OEM? Is it advisable to stick to OEM or Rane or SKF will be just fine too?

Appreciate any input to help me make a decision.

tia,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 21st December 2016 at 09:14.
Old 21st December 2016, 09:40   #6319
BHPian

My DiCor is sprouting a new issue - steering vibration as if something has come loose at normal speeds occasionally. It has had a routine service a couple of months back where I was told bush near the tie rods are weak. But they told me in Concorde that it doesn't need attention now.
Can a worn bush make such vibration or it is something else ?
My truck has hardly done 40000 km in these 7 years.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 17:45   #6320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Finally today gave Safari for clutch overhaul. Got it back in evening.
What all did this include? Did you get the entire clutch assembly replaced?
Old 6th January 2017, 17:14   #6321

Hi Gurus,

Lately I have completed 5 proud years of Dicor ownership having clocked a meager 70+K on the ODO, without any major issues. Recently during a trip to Dalhousie, a squeaking sound started to come from the front right side of the SUV.
1. The squeaking only comes when I am taking a left turn or driving straight but as soon as tilt the steering left.
2. Goes away when I encounter any pothole or a speed bump, but comes back after 3-4 second having passed through the rough patch.
3. Also, it goes away, when I push the brake pedal.
3.Consulted a neighborhood mechanic, he says the outer lining of brake disk has recessed forward which is now in contact with brake shoe assembly.

Can anybody throw some light on this? He says the disks would be opened and edges would be smoothed.

Please help.

Regards,
Ashish
Old 20th January 2017, 12:48   #6322
BHPian

Hi All,

My Safari is nearing 1 Lakh Kms and I am in the process of doing some Preventive maintenance.
The Timing Belt & associated components have been changed.

Now, I have been told that some work is also required on the suspension part.
The initial analysis at Concorde Pune was that Front Suspension needs work and I was given an estimate of 22k but today when I dropped my Safari I have been told the Rear Suspension needs overhall as well.

The Job Card reads:
Front Suspension - Dismantle & Assemble with new Parts
Rear Axle Shaft - Remove & Install with Parts ( Each Side)
The Estimate for this is 32K.

Can you please let me know if this is all required and what are the signs of a worn out suspension.?

Thanks,
Ajit
Old 20th January 2017, 13:39   #6323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
My DiCor is sprouting a new issue - steering vibration as if something has come loose at normal speeds occasionally. It has had a routine service a couple of months back where I was told bush near the tie rods are weak. But they told me in Concorde that it doesn't need attention now.
Can a worn bush make such vibration or it is something else ?
My truck has hardly done 40000 km in these 7 years.
Yes, There will be a rubber bush in the steering coupling(tech term: Universal joint coupling). The function of this rubber is to buffer the vibrations and avoid shocks the wheel passes to the steering.

There is a chance the rubber has become weak or the coupling itself is worn. It all depends on the road surface the vehicle has run the most.

In my Toyota Qualis, this happened at 75,000 kms. Nandi Toyota - Kanakapura Road, Bangalore, gave a laundry list of spares to change with an estimate of 20,000 INR. But I consulted another Shop(ToyoTech Motors, Bangalore). The mechanic over there identified the issue as just rubber bush change and quoted 1,000 INR if I need replacement as Toyota's Original Bush. I did not want to take risk. So, I replaced the entire Steering Coupling with Original Toyota genuine Part with overall cost (Spare Part + labour cost) at 6,100 INR. All the best !
gkveda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 13:48   #6324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
At about 49,000 kms, my Safari now needs first brake pad change. The OEM set costs about 3000/- for the front, while Rane and SKF costs about 1600/- at spareshub.com.

What brand is OEM? Is it advisable to stick to OEM or Rane or SKF will be just fine too?

Appreciate any input to help me make a decision.

tia,
-BJ
Rane or SKF or Bosch Bread pads do not cost INR 1600. Maximum, it may cost 700 or 800. (This is only for Front disc brakes)
However, Brake shoes (For Back Drum brakes), it costs around INR 1200 in Bangalore.
Please check what exactly needs replacement in your case.

In my Opinion, Most of the manufacturers outsource the brake Pads/shoes to either Bosch, Rane OR TVS, put their logo and sell at premium. Although, I have not verified this for other cars, this is true in case of Toyota (My Cars original Brake shoes were from Bosch)

Hence, I suggest to go with Rane (Since there are opinions that Bosch makes screeching sound)

Regards
Girish
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 12:49   #6325
BHPian

My fight with wheel jam continues. After months of troubleshooting the culprit wheel has finally been identified as the rear left one. This happened after the wheel completely locked on a severely cold winter morning and dragged in the driveway leaving skid marks. However, the reason for the jamming is still elusive. Hand brake cables are new and a kaput ABS sensor on the same wheel was replaced last week. Diff has been replaced along with all bearings. Slave cylinder looks fine. Now we check the master cylinder and brake booster.

I have a question. TML sells a kit of B Booster, TMC and fluid tank. They sell them separately as well. In case we find a problem with the TMC, the mechanic has advised replacing the whole kit instead of just the TMC. He reckons with age the booster would be nearing bust as well, and TML sells the kit as it is advised to change the whole lot. Any advice on this would be highly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
...The Job Card reads:
Front Suspension - Dismantle & Assemble with new Parts
Rear Axle Shaft - Remove & Install with Parts ( Each Side)...
Hi Ajit
This doesn't sound right. They are supposed to tell you which specific suspension and axle parts require replacement and give an estimate accordingly. This seems like they've made an estimate of how much they want to charge and then change parts accordingly. In case TASS is not cooperative call TML CC and make a complaint. Wish you the best!

Last edited by param22k : 24th January 2017 at 12:55. Reason: Added text.
Old 24th January 2017, 14:15   #6326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello I got my car serviced yesterday and experience was good. The owner as you told is really nice guy who is not after looting customers. Thanks for calling and informing him about my visit.

Below is the total bill summary:
Coolant - 480
Oil Filter - 310
Air Filter - 690
Engine Oil - 6675
Washing and Labour - 1000

Total -: 9155
But I paid 10225 as I did card payment.
Engine oil for 6675? You used synthetic oil? Was it planned?

Quote:
Ajitsingh208
that quote looks fine for a TASS. You can always get it checked from another TASS and compare. Also check/clean the sedimentor too.

Last edited by jkdas : 24th January 2017 at 14:18.
Old 24th January 2017, 16:08   #6327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Engine oil for 6675? You used synthetic oil? Was it planned?
Yes Engine oil was Synthetic. Brand name XADO. I am using Synthetic oil from long time and found somewhat better in terms of performance vs mineral.

Some differences between Synthetic and mineral I felt so far:
- better/less engine noise specially the grunting noise is minimum with synthetic.
- car drive is on smoother side like we have generally after servicing.
- the above effect will last longer in synthetic vs mineral.
- 15k oil change window is not fine with mineral oil.

Quote:
that quote looks fine for a TASS. You can always get it checked from another TASS and compare. Also check/clean the sedimentor too.
I assume whenever I will visit TASS for service I have to shell out 10-15k.

Will go for check/clean sedimentor next time.
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 10:43   #6328
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure how many of us would be aware about this hidden feature of Old Safari and DiCOR. I got to know about this feature few days back from a friend.
If you look at rear roof of Safari, it has ribs on roof metal for extra strength. Also there are two handles on each side. Tata designers, designed this so that you carry few bag on top. Side rails at rear were provided to tie down your luggage.
Actually, when Safari launched, there was an article in Auto India which spoke about this particular design feature.

Somehow not able to attach any referential pics :(

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 16:28   #6329
BHPian

Quote:
...that quote looks fine for a TASS.
Hi jkdas! Correct me if I'm wrong. Shouldn't TASS give details of the suspension parts that require replacement, instead of a generic "Front Suspension - Dismantle & Assemble with new Parts / Rear Axle Shaft - Remove & Install with Parts"? How can a comparison be made if details of parts that require replacement are not given?
Cheers!

Quote:
...I am using Synthetic oil from long time and found somewhat better in terms of performance vs mineral...
Hi roby! A suggestion. You could try changing engine oil every 7500, should still be cheaper than synthetic oil every 15000. This works for me.

Last edited by param22k : 25th January 2017 at 16:33. Reason: Added text.
param22k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 23:46   #6330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
Hi roby! A suggestion. You could try changing engine oil every 7500, should still be cheaper than synthetic oil every 15000. This works for me.
Hello, I have tried that last time it didn't worked well. I switched back to synthetic in just 5k. Safari engine lacks refinement so better I should stick to synthetic.
I also add fuel additives occasionally.
Are there any other ways to keep engine and car running smooth?
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks