Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2016, 11:34   #6286
AVR
BHPian

Re: The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread

Hi guys,

My dicor has an issue of changing gears especially in the morning and also after few hours of being parked. If I rev hard in 1st and 2nd for the initial few kms it is all good but otherwise the gears don't slot smoothly. This happens for slotting into 2nd, 3rd and reverse. I recently changed the gear oil to TQ but since then the shifting has gotten worse in the early parts of the day and much better once warmed up.

Plus, the smoothness of the overall vehicle is extremely moody. There are days where it is extremely vibration free and then there are days its not. I am already married so I don't need the mood swings from the car too. Any suggestions. I mean about the Safari

Cheers,
Adi
Old 18th October 2016, 18:35   #6287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Hi guys,

My dicor has an issue of changing gears especially in the morning and also after few hours of being parked. If I rev hard in 1st and 2nd for the initial few kms it is all good but otherwise the gears don't slot smoothly. This happens for slotting into 2nd, 3rd and reverse. I recently changed the gear oil to TQ but since then the shifting has gotten worse in the early parts of the day and much better once warmed up.

Cheers,
Adi
Mine also has the exact issue that too started after the gear oil change. I am thinking of changing the oil once again to confirm, any clue guys?
Old 19th October 2016, 18:27   #6288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Hi guys,

My dicor has an issue of changing gears especially in the morning and also after few hours of being parked. ....
Plus, the smoothness of the overall vehicle is extremely moody. There are days where it is extremely vibration free and then there are days its not. I am already married so I don't need the mood swings from the car too. Any suggestions. I mean about the Safari

Cheers,
Adi
Safari's G76 gearbox has its mood swings - most of the time smooth enough while on occasion gives palpitations. A fresh oil change has helped me. But that doesn't have anything to do with the excessive engine vibration. May be you expect it to be like your byline - 'Aut tace aut loquere meliora silencio' (For those who are challenged by Latin it means Either be silent or say something better than silence).

BTW, it is a nice statement.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 15:12   #6289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Safari's G76 gearbox has its mood swings - most of the time smooth enough while on occasion gives palpitations. A fresh oil change has helped me.
Exactly what my mechanic told, it might be due to thicker gear oil which actually helps in long run by reducing wear. I will anyway try changing the oil during next service and update.
Old 27th October 2016, 10:58   #6290
BHPian

Hey guys.

I sent a feedback email to TML a couple of days ago. I'm sharing it below for the benefit of other TM vehicle owners. Cheers!

Dear TM Team

I'm owner of a Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 VX 4x4 (PB10xxxxxx) vehicle bought from Dada Motors, Ludhiana in Sep 2009. Being a touring enthusiast, I've driven my Safari for more 2 Lac kms across the length and breadth of India. In fact, last year my wife and I undertook a month long 7000 km road-trip across 12 states of India.

Over the years, I've had many noteworthy experiences at TASS and a significant percentage of them have been negative. From being verbally abused at your Leh service center, fixing 4x4 control system on my own after TASS gave up, to being refused car service at Concorde Motors, Bangalore while in the middle of a grueling road-trip; I've seen it all. But I've also come to terms with TASS service standards and must acknowledge that- though slow- there has been steady improvement in standards.

A recent experience has compelled me to write to you as it is an important issue that has repercussions for a number of Tata SUV owners. A few days ago, the oil in rear differential of my vehicle was changed. Being wise from my experiences, I make it a point to have a detailed discussion with the service team regarding the work carried out post servicing. In this case I spoke with a junior service manager to confirm the grade of oil that was used. Please note that the rear differential in my vehicle comes with LSD. While the oil grade used was correct, I asked for confirmation on whether 'friction modifier' was added to the oil. The chap had no idea what I was talking about. When I sent him a photo of the service manual which clearly states the requirement of addition of 'friction modifier' for LSD differentials, his response was that this was optional and not mandatory. On my insistence, he requested for a few minutes to further inquire on this issue. He got back to me after a while and what he had to say was shocking. He told me that no one in the service team had ever heard of a 'friction modifier' and therefore the same has never been added to the differential oil of any LSD differential that they service.

My own research on this issue shows that Dana (Spicer)- the manufacturer of this LSD differential- recommends the addition of 'friction modifier' to differential oil for LSD as it helps in optimal movement of LSD clutch plates which can have a significant impact on their life. The fact that the service personnel at one of TM's premier dealerships have no idea about this and are servicing vehicles incorrectly, in this regard, is indefensible.

I would strongly advise TM to immediately issue a circular to all TASS explaining the importance of 'friction modifier'. Please also work on improving the training of service personnel, as well as your service procedures and checklists. We can't be sure how many TM customers might've suffered because of this particular, and more such, negligence.

Recently, TM has introduced a lot of latest technology in their new vehicles- example, Hexa- which is highly appreciable. However, it also scares me to imagine how these latest cars will be maintained and serviced by TASS considering that they still don't know how to properly service a technology that is decades old.

Sadly, while my heart is still with my Safari and TM, my mind says never to buy a TM vehicle again.

Best Regards
xxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxxx
+91-xxxxxxxxxx

PS: For the benefit of other TM customers, I'll be posting this on Team-BHP forum as well.
param22k is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 11:48   #6291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by param22k View Post
...In this case I spoke with a junior service manager to confirm the grade of oil that was used. Please note that the rear differential in my vehicle comes with LSD. While the oil grade used was correct, I asked for confirmation on whether 'friction modifier' was added to the oil. ....
It is not clear to me whether the friction modifier is an additive or are friction modifiers included in the said correct grade of oil.
It could be that the service team has not heard of this additive because it is not an additive that is separately packaged?

And anyway, don't buy Tata cars any more; they have sacked their Mistry!
Old 28th October 2016, 12:21   #6292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
It is not clear to me whether the friction modifier is an additive or are friction modifiers included in the said correct grade of oil.
Hi Anup, the friction modifier is an additive that has to added to the 85w140 differential oil. This is required for optimal functioning of the clutch plates that operate the LSD. Without the additive, the plates will wear out sooner. For clarity, please find attached screenshot of Dicor 2.2 manual.

param22k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 11:14   #6293
BHPian

Hello Tbhpians.

Facing another problem with a 2007 2.2 Dicor.

1. The vehicle comes to a halt with a shudder sometimes with out any warning light. During this, the vehicle lacks Power above 1500rpm. I can feel the jerks. Again after sometime its back to normal with out any problem.

2. Few days back the vehicle stops with check engine light and vehicle enters limp mode. After stopping the vehicle and then starting it, the vehicle moves ahead in 1st gear for some distance and revving the engine above 1500rpm. This happened for about 40 min. I drove slowly to Concorde service centre in Kochi and then the service advisor took it for a spin and the defect has not occurred. I am surprised that vehicle behaves so dynamically in matter of few min. I tried explaining the problem and he was clueless.
I insisted in connecting the computer and checking for the fault codes. Following temporary codes were observed (as attached in the pics).

Did any one else face a similar problem? How did you go about this? I am presently in Kochi and can any person suggest a good service centre among Concorde motors, RF motors and Focuz motors.
Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-1478669863896.jpg  

Old 21st November 2016, 15:13   #6294
Senior - BHPian

Safari gurus - need help. Over the last few months, whenever I take a very slow AND sharp turn on my Safari, I hear a "kat" sound from somewhere near the front suspension. Note that this sound does NOT come under any other circumstances - bad roads, potholes, speed humps, and even wide turns, none at all. Only when I am taking a very slow turn at full steering - say, while reversing out my Safari from my parking slot at full turn of the steering or while starting for a U turn from standstill - do I get this sound. This too, is not consistent - as in, some maneuvers of this nature have been silent as well. I have been able to replicate this behavior about 2 out of 10 times.

A friend of mine is of the opinion that it might be to do with tie rods. Am taking the car to TASS for its annual service this week and wanted to check with this group for any tips before that, since I am sure the Safari will choose play innocent at the service center and it would be good if I can point them to a probable culprit beforehand.

Thanks in advance...
Old 21st November 2016, 15:26   #6295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Safari gurus - need help. Over the last few months, whenever I take a very slow AND sharp turn on my Safari, I hear a "kat" sound from somewhere near the front suspension.
Could be the tire rubbing the bumper or the wheel arch. Inspect the wheel at full lock also inside the fender for some rub marks. Are you having offset alloys by any chance?
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 15:35   #6296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Safari gurus - need help..
Hi,

Found 1 post related to a similar problem in this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3624682

Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 18:21   #6297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Safari gurus - need help. Over the last few months, whenever I take a very slow AND sharp turn on my Safari, I hear a "kat" sound from somewhere near the front suspension. Note that this sound does NOT come under any other circumstances - bad roads, potholes, speed humps, and even wide turns, none at all. Only when I am taking a very slow turn at full steering - say, while reversing out my Safari from my parking slot at full turn of the steering or while starting for a U turn from standstill - do I get this sound. This too, is not consistent - as in, some maneuvers of this nature have been silent as well. I have been able to replicate this behavior about 2 out of 10 times.

A friend of mine is of the opinion that it might be to do with tie rods. Am taking the car to TASS for its annual service this week and wanted to check with this group for any tips before that, since I am sure the Safari will choose play innocent at the service center and it would be good if I can point them to a probable culprit beforehand.

Thanks in advance...

It has to be either the tie rods or the idler arms. get the front suspension re-torqued, and it should get sorted out. worst case scenario, get the bushings replaced.

cheers!
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 09:41   #6298
BHPian

Quote:
Safari gurus - need help. Over the last few months, whenever I take a very slow AND sharp turn on my Safari, I hear a "kat" sound from somewhere near the front suspension. Note that this sound does NOT come under any other circumstances - bad roads, potholes, speed humps, and even wide turns, none at all.

Thanks in advance...
It could be the centerpin. I had the same issue years ago and Tanveer Singh Sir pointed to this and sure enough it was adjusted by the Concorde and no sound after that.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 15:08   #6299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Safari gurus - need help. Over the last few months, whenever I take a very slow AND sharp turn on my Safari, I hear a "kat" sound from somewhere near the front suspension
Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Are you having offset alloys by any chance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
It has to be either the tie rods or the idler arms. get the front suspension re-torqued, and it should get sorted out. worst case scenario, get the bushings replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
It could be the centerpin. I had the same issue years ago and Tanveer Singh Sir pointed to this and sure enough it was adjusted by the Concorde and no sound after that.
Thanks everyone, for chiming in. It was indeed the idler arm which had gone dry. The SA was quite impressed with me for having "guessed" what the issue was The issue has not re-occurred so far, after the idler arm was nicely greased up. I have been advised by the SA to get this done every 6 months, as opposed to the annual service ritual that I undertake.

Thanks again...
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 08:51   #6300
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, would like to hear your thoughts on this.

My 3.0 Dicor has developed a jerking in 1st gear in traffic while starting off slipping the clutch. The whole truck shivers and judders in the process. Also the truck's reverse gear is terribly weak and I have to switch to 4L in case of any gradient. All logic says that its a worn out clutch but:

- there is no slipping experienced when I slam the pedal
- the truck stalls in standard test for clutch wear (Stalls in 3rd gear with brake engaged)
- had a doubt on the engine mounts. But engine does not seem to move about when the clutch is released with brakes on

Any thoughts appreciated!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks