Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 17:57   #76
BHPian

anand i read in your other thread that u have anti hijack feature in your car default, i mean your doors lock at speeds above 20kmhs & the doors unlock once you remove the key, both of these features are absent in my FL Laura ambient, should i contact sevice center??
thanks..
Old 25th November 2009, 10:55   #77
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandbhat View Post
Prior to 2007 models, had 7.5k, but even those models need service only after 10k now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
Correction:

The first service was due at 10k kms but i thought i should get the engine oil changed. Plus, wanted to get the interiors cleaned too.
Both Skoda and VW manuals recommend service intervals of 15k kms. But AutoBahn recommended my first service at 10k kms.
Guys, just the fact that the earlier service recommendations were at 7,500 kms says a whole lot. I repeat, long service intervals are only a marketing exercise by the European car makers. They want to rid themselves of the "expensive to maintain" reputation.

Indian driving conditions are simply too harsh to run the same engine oil for 15,000 kms. Our average driving speed is low, weather unforgiving, quality of fuel poor and the air dusty.

I would get the engine oil changed anywhere between 7,500 - 10,000 kms (maximum and only if synthetic). 15,000 kms is too long an oil change interval. Get the service done at 15,000, but change the oil at your own additional cost at 7,500. Your car will love you for it
Old 25th November 2009, 11:37   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, just the fact that the earlier service recommendations were at 7,500 kms says a whole lot. I repeat, long service intervals are only a marketing exercise by the European car makers. They want to rid themselves of the "expensive to maintain" reputation.

Indian driving conditions are simply too harsh to run the same engine oil for 15,000 kms. Our average driving speed is low, weather unforgiving, quality of fuel poor and the air dusty.

I would get the engine oil changed anywhere between 7,500 - 10,000 kms (maximum and only if synthetic). 15,000 kms is too long an oil change interval. Get the service done at 15,000, but change the oil at your own additional cost at 7,500. Your car will love you for it
I agree, maybe 15K is too long for hot dusty conditions. I would recommend more frequent changes if the car is run mostly in the city. Highway and expressway dwellers may change at 15K. No, the extended service interval is not a marketing exercise, the new gen synthetics can hold out much longer added to that the newer fitlration materials and filter designs for Diesel and petrol ensure longer service intervals.

What is more important than an oil change is to clean the air filter every 5K km.

Cheers,
Old 25th November 2009, 16:22   #79
BHPian

Wats about the first oil change? when to change the oil for the first time in a new laura?
Old 25th November 2009, 18:49   #80
BHPian

I changed it at around 8000kms, though folks at *** suggested after 10000km.

Since I had other problem with EGR valve, I didn't notice any difference until that got fixed.
Old 25th November 2009, 19:21   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
anand i read in your other thread that u have anti hijack feature in your car default, i mean your doors lock at speeds above 20kmhs & the doors unlock once you remove the key, both of these features are absent in my FL Laura ambient, should i contact sevice center??
thanks..
The mentioned feature is available in my Laura (Ambient) as well. So I reckon that to be a standard option. So get it checked.
Old 26th November 2009, 11:33   #82

Hi friends,
I have Skoda Laura AT and want to clear doubt about the temp reading on the MFD. Which temp does it show, outside temp or the road temp?
Temp in Mumbai is 31 Deg C today, where as MFD was showing 38 Deg. C.
Thanks
Old 26th November 2009, 12:07   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshirekar View Post
Hi friends,
I have Skoda Laura AT and want to clear doubt about the temp reading on the MFD. Which temp does it show, outside temp or the road temp?
Thanks
The MFD shows the temperature outside the car. Reduce about 2 to 3 degrees for the heat generated by the engine. The manual has a paragraph on this.

The temerature published in the papers etc. is the temperature at either the Airport or the Met office and will be lower than the acutal temp. on any street in the city thanks to the greenery and open spaces.

Cheers,
Old 27th November 2009, 15:57   #84
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Guys, i got the first service carried out on my FL Laura Elegance A/T on 23rd Nov 09.
Since it was a free service as per the understanding with the dealer, i cannot be certain if the service was carried out faithfully. Plus, i got my car serviced earlier than what was recommended. The odo had clocked about 7.65k when i got it serviced whereas recommended are: manual - 15k, dealer - 10k.

The particulars of the service are:
1) Engine oil change (did NOT open a new can but refilled an old can from a barrel of engine oil kept in one corner of the workshop. However the barrel read: synthetic oil. Total oil put - 3.5L approx.)
2) Oil filter replaced
3) Air Filter and pollen filter cleaned
4) VAS diagnosis
5) Windscreen washer fluid filled
6) Brake fluid topped up (just opened the container and put some fluid from a can which was NOT new)

My main concern is, when i asked him to replace the fuel filter (diesel), he said it was not required in the first service. I cannot be certain about this as they may just be saving money as the service was entirely on them.

However, the overall service experience was very good

Cheers!
Old 27th November 2009, 15:58   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshirekar View Post
Hi friends,
Thanks
Hey
Which one is it? Face-lifted? If yes, which variant?
Old 27th November 2009, 16:17   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
My main concern is, when i asked him to replace the fuel filter (diesel), he said it was not required in the first service. I cannot be certain about this as they may just be saving money as the service was entirely on them.
The diesel filters are normally changes at 20K service interval (unless otherwise specified by Skoda). Please ensure that they use oil from a sealed can the next time.
Old 24th February 2010, 12:25   #87
Senior - BHPian

Anand, You have done more of research in Laura.
Can Auto wipers/headlights be enabled?
See if you can enable cruise control by sourcing the stalks online etc.

I might sound stupid, Laura definitely needs when 11L Scorpio has.
Old 24th February 2010, 14:13   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Can Auto wipers/headlights be enabled?
See if you can enable cruise control by sourcing the stalks online etc.
Auto wipers:
Do you mean rain sensor wiper? Yes it is standard on all Laura variants.

Auto headlights:
I think this should be possible, but some wiring might need to be altered.
Cruise control retrofitting, this can be done it seems, but needs some specific coding of car's controller system.

There are many DIY's on the net. Check on such link here: Octavia-vrs.com - Technical Index

Next project I'm planning may be within this year is to retrofit steering wheel with audio control and MFDII (touch screen infotainment). Have not started working on this, but it is on the cards.
Old 16th March 2010, 00:06   #89

Looking forward to the multifunction steering wheel and the Columbus system (touchscreen with nav and SD card slot). BTW, the MFD is the display next to the speedometer (the display standard on L&K).
I am also collecting info on this DIY, since i bought the car, and plan to do it after a year (closer to my warranty deadline).
Old 28th August 2010, 02:47   #90

So, i did some work on my car. Details here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ay-i-want.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks