Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2016, 03:54   #7171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
If the guy gives min 6 months warranty on his work and is cheap the go ahead else best is to get a new original hose. At Honda the hose itself will cost 12 to14k. Also was this not inspected before buying the car.

You will haveto takea light and see if the pump area is smeared by oil. If the mechanic is competent then you can be sure its the hose. Both above cases are leaks where the pump is the source.

Hi Sumeet,

Yes, the pump area has the oil on it and the rack is completely dry. The car was not inspected by Honda before buying. I took the car to Honda twice for the inspection but first fime it was 5 in the evening and they denied inspection and asked to come back in morning the next day. And on second occasion it was 24th of December and they asked me to get the car on monday for the inspection which was after 4 days. On both the occasions the owner did not deny to take it for the inspection. I checked the service history with Honda and the car was regularly serviced at Honda and the car had got serviced from Honda just 1000 kms back and the bill was 16k rupees. Even the tyres on the car were changed at Honda just 4k kms back. This was the only genuine car which I could find in last 3 months I was searching for the car. The engine is in great condition hence I decided to take the risk as the owner was not ready to wait for another 4 days for inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Essentially the mechanic thinks the crimp has failed, and if so then a fresh crimp will solve the problem. Looks like a reasonable approach to me.
I am trusting his words. I showed him the leak and he said it is the hose for power steering which is the culprit. I insisted him to check it properly. He then took the car to nearby wheel alignment shop. There we parked the car on ramp and checked the car. There was oil on the hose as well as pump. There doesn't seem to be any oil on top of the pump. After the inspection he confirmed that it's the hose and can be fixed at a press shop and I need not worry. He is in the business for some 30 years now. He has been servicing our cars family cars since 90s. He had rebuilt then engine of my Esteem last year and did a fabulous job. So I am trusting him. And I don't want to go to Honda for this job as they will charge me fortune for this.
Old 8th January 2016, 09:13   #7172
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Has anyone replaced the bulb under those backlit switches on the dashboard? One of those switches used to change brightness settings on the instrument console is no more lighting up. Any idea what kind of bulb it takes and how to replace it?
Old 15th January 2016, 19:44   #7173
BHPian

Seems the bulbs are, 14v 60MA .84w. Part #: 35156-SNA-A01

Source
WasavaTyres is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 21:14   #7174
BHPian

So I am facing a niggling issue for last one month or so. The engine, when in idle, judders pretty noticeably whenever the AC kicks in. I know this used to happen earlier as well, but not like this. This is really painful and annoying. Also happens when in bumper 2 bumper traffic under the speed of 10kmph.
The weather isn't helping either. Its like 3 or 4 times the AC kicks in within 2 minutes may be because it brings in the ambient temperature to the level at which it is set. I normally set it at 26.

Anyone has a clue how this can be tackled?
Old 16th January 2016, 01:51   #7175
BHPian

Seems like an IAC valve issue. Don't know what's the Honda term for it most cars have this to regulate engine RPM for compensating the extra load of the Ac. It helps to eliminate the judder by sending more fuel to the engine and/or regulating the vacuum systems. Situated on the MPFI system somewheres. It also can be because of a current issue in the area or vacuum pipes related. Throttle body and/or ignition coil to May play a role. Among other possibilities....
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 21:11   #7176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi guys,

My biggest nightmare has come true. The power steering in my car has a leak. It's been driven only 43k kms. So much of Japanese reliability. I had gone for wheel alignment and when the alignment guy raised the car to check for the suspension I saw there was a leak. Confused I started checking oil levels everywhere and the PS oil was low. I took the car to my local mechanic who diagnosed it to a leaking hose. As per him the rack is fine and there is no trace of oil on the rack. The pump seems to be okay but the hose where it connects to the pump is leaking. My mechanic says he can get it repaired by a hydraulic press shop. He will open the car at my place so that it's not lying unsafe in a garage or outside. He will take the pipe with him and give it to the press shop guy and fit it back in my car the next day. I enquired at a local shop and the part is unavailable and gave me a quote of 8k plus if I order. I am not sure what should I do. How do I determine it's the PS hose and not pump or something else before I go ahead and get the car opened. I have topped up the PS oil for now with a Castrol ATF oil and it took 200 ml approx. I have driven close to 1000 kms in last 10 days.

Edit :- checked with local Honda dealer at my place and they also don't have PS hose in stock and it will take some time to arrange for the part.
This is a common issue. The problem is not the hose. It's the O ring at the high pressure side of the power steering pump. I had a power steering oil leak as well and Peninsular Honda here quoted 1.2L for the repair saying that "it is difficult to find the leaks in this system. Might as well change the pump and rack for safety sake sir."

Soon enough I got a whining power steering pump noise indicating that there's air in the system. A little bit of research told me that this is a common issue with last generation Hondas with hydraulic power steering. There's a Honda TSB for Accords out there asking the dealerships to change the power steering pump inlet O ring to be replaced with a different variant to solve the air leak. I got the new part from the US shipped over here. When the FNG dude opened up the system, he found that a locking bolt fastening the high pressure hose was missing and the O ring was cooked there as well, which was causing the PS fluid leak.

I also had him diagnose a persistent suspension noise (for which Honda quoted 80K to fix - replace all dampers sir!) to a blown tie rod end.

Everything changed out and fixed for 3K INR, what could've cost 2L at the Honda dealership.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 18th January 2016 at 21:13.
ImmortalZ is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 22:08   #7177
Senior - BHPian

Hey Immortalz, welcome back buddy. Where did you go away

That's pretty much a good insight to the PS issue. Do you have any pics when your FNG dude worked on it?
Old 18th January 2016, 22:59   #7178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Hey Immortalz, welcome back buddy. Where did you go away
Thank you Lalu. To answer your question, I don't really have the free time I used to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
That's pretty much a good insight to the PS issue. Do you have any pics when your FNG dude worked on it?
No, no pics unfortunately.

I was dealing with a really bad situation at work, so I couldn't be away for even a minute more than absolutely necessary.

To add a little more to the PS issue, I spent quite a bit of money getting the O ring here - USD 0.5 for the part, USD 100 for shipping - since I absolutely had to have the car fixed ASAP. Turns out that you can have any sort of quality O rings stamped to specification here itself. So, if your FNG can get that O ring locally, it is not a bad idea to go that route. IF they are competent to get the proper specced ones. Power steering O rings, for example, need to be high temperature. The stock one wasn't, which is why it got cooked. The revised part from Honda is.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 18th January 2016 at 23:01.
ImmortalZ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 23:14   #7179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post

To add a little more to the PS issue, I spent quite a bit of money getting the O ring here - USD 0.5 for the part, USD 100 for shipping - since I absolutely had to have the car fixed ASAP.
Thanks for the Info, you should be having the part number for this ! , could you please share the part number

Hondas are not expensive, untill you know what to replace and where .
Old 18th January 2016, 23:22   #7180
BHPian

Hi ImmortalZ,

would you know where to source this O ring in India or I will also have to get it shipped from US. The problem is my mechanic will open it at my place and once open then only things will be clear. However if it is indeed the O ring and I don't find it here the car will be lying Idle at my place and I will have to drive my old car which I don't want as the tyres on the car have worn out and I am selling the car. Also my car does not have any whinning sound at this moment and the PS fluid level also seems almost steady, I have driven 600 KMs approx after checking and topping up the fluid. Now I am even more confused :(
Old 18th January 2016, 23:41   #7181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Thanks for the Info, you should be having the part number for this ! , could you please share the part number

Hondas are not expensive, untill you know what to replace and where .
91345-RDA-A01

This is the O ring involved in the Honda TSB. Inlet side. This is on the PS pump where the hose from the PS fluid reservoir meets.

The part number for the outlet O ring, I think, is 91347-PAA-A01. I got the inlet from this site. In my case, the outlet O ring was sourced by my guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi ImmortalZ,

would you know where to source this O ring in India or I will also have to get it shipped from US. The problem is my mechanic will open it at my place and once open then only things will be clear. However if it is indeed the O ring and I don't find it here the car will be lying Idle at my place and I will have to drive my old car which I don't want as the tyres on the car have worn out and I am selling the car. Also my car does not have any whinning sound at this moment and the PS fluid level also seems almost steady, I have driven 600 KMs approx after checking and topping up the fluid. Now I am even more confused :(
The leak could be from anywhere. You will only know once they open it up. But rest assured, even if it is from the rack, it can be refinished in a lathe. My guy charges about 6K for rebuilding the complete rack. That's 1/10th the cost of a new one. He sort of specializes in hydraulic power steering. He used to be the workshop manager for a Hyundai dealership in Trivandrum. I will give him a call tomorrow and see where he sources his O rings. My dad told me that there's a company in Cochin who make hydraulic parts for marine engines, even the 15K BHP monsters powering bulk carriers. I will try to get that lead as well.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 18th January 2016 at 23:45.
ImmortalZ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 19:21   #7182
BHPian

Bhpian's,

Just a query:

There was an update in the suspension tune of the Honda Civic in the 2010 face lift.

How significant was the update? And,

Can the updated suspension setup be installed in pre-facelift civics?

Last edited by petroguzzler : 19th January 2016 at 19:22.
Old 20th January 2016, 08:41   #7183
BANNED

The update (end 2009) essentially modified the rear mount anchor points, and is supposed to have improved the bottoming a lot. In any case the cars still need some support, as I have put in rubber stiffeners in mine.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 22:38   #7184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
After the service my car's brakes are now giving out a noise something which goes like kadd kadd . I was told pads would be needing change in the next service. The noise does not come all the time but only when coming to a slow stop or when i brake hard just when the car is about to stop.
I have been having this issue for nearly two year. Initially, HASS cleaned the pads and noise crept back after 2 months. Changed Rotor and Pads and noise went away for only 9 months. Again having this problem. Scratching my head as it happens only with front brakes. Any one has any clue? Or any good mechanic in Chennai to show?
Old 27th January 2016, 10:23   #7185

I recently picked up a 2007 civic smt with 36k on the odo.

The owner had kept the car in pretty good nick, and showed me the service records up to 31k. I might have paid a little more, but I'm happy I found a good, low mileage car after months of searching.

I may post a review or start a thread if I feel I have something interesting to add.

I am using an OBD scanner with torque pro/ dash command, and my throttle position shows 17% even when not pressed. Is this normal?

Meanwhile, here's a pic of the car:

Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-img_20160127_093558.jpg
ajslave is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks