Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 04:11   #886
BHPian

Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I agree to some extent. However, I guess i am one of the few lucky ones. Touch Wood!

I have never visited Tata A.S.S. except for 4 free services. Car is running like a gem and has served me so damn well. Infact, my friends who got Polo and Swift around the same time, have faced multiple niggling issues. It may sound weird, but its true.

Besides, I know 5 Vista owners who have had extremely satisfactory experience. So you see, the Tata world is not as dark as you think.

Its just not about what car you buy, its also about how much you take care of it. I am not saying Tata vehicle owners dont take care, but in general this rule applies to all.

+1 to your post.

I have never visited the TASC other than the regular service intervals. Even after 30+ K kms the car does not rattle, nothing fell off etc.

It has never let me down (touch wood).
Meanwhile a friend who owns a Polo 1.2, just 8 months old with 1800 kms has the engine check light on, a window which does not work!
Old 9th December 2011, 12:20   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
+1 to your post.

I have never visited the TASC other than the regular service intervals. Even after 30+ K kms the car does not rattle, nothing fell off etc.

It has never let me down (touch wood).
Meanwhile a friend who owns a Polo 1.2, just 8 months old with 1800 kms has the engine check light on, a window which does not work!

Add me to the list too, I've done some 38K km in 1 and half years and never visited the TASS other than for a scheduled service.

But I also believe it depends on your car maintenace habbits, your driving style, add to that your understanding of the car's pros and cons. Are you a person who pushes the car the moment your in the drivers seat or your the other extreme? Your ability to get the best out of the car is the trick to have a loving relation and this can hold good for any car.

Vista's have had production issues more than design issues, that I feel is an on going process for any organization. For a 12 odd year old car company its been a pretty quick learning curve though a lot still needs to be achieved.
Old 9th December 2011, 12:24   #888

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
dont know why but have seen very few tata owners (no offences meant) fully satisfied and happy. Even my personal opinion about Tata is not so great. Know few indica/indigo/vista owners. All of them are facing some or other niggling issue. Even the delaers are most of time fending off complaints from customers. The mechanics and service advisors somehow seem not very interested in solving the problems. Most probably, this is typical of most Indian brands including Bajaj & TVS.
I think the issue is we compare our Tata vehicles at par with hyundai, Honda, VW or Ford... Simply what you pay is what you get..

Vista QJD is certainly a value buy when compared to Swift diesel, I20 diesel or Figo Titanium or Polo.

On the service part, I guess, the culprit is Indica's and Sumo's. Every time when I visit ECR Concorde, there is a huge beeline of these Cabs waiting for service.. Its sheer number and service target levels making these folks look tired and psychologically tuned to handle Vista's or Manza like another cab.

Post free service, better to find a reliable service provider to get piece of satisfaction..
Old 9th December 2011, 13:29   #889
Senior - BHPian

kartikk, Been there , done that. Just wait for another 2 years and see. Of course, if you plan to switch within that time, then its someone else's problem, but the resale will still hit you on your way out
Old 9th December 2011, 17:41   #890
BHPian

greenhorn you work in the insurance industry ? cos you scare me well jokes apart but I see it like this, I dont drive a car with a million mile warranty like in the US, the roads in India are pretty pathetic and the cars here take a beating, so far even after the free service checks my bills have been pretty low, I think they charged me Rs.1050 bucks for the service and miscellaneous expenses except that after I moved to full synthetic oil at 10K thats been the costly item on the serivce list.

Also when I got the car in March of 2010 diesel was 40 bucks and now its 46 where as the petrol heads have paid dearly so overall running costs have been well within budget, my point being my needs were that of a workhorse which does the job, Job done I'm happy ! As far as being there and doing that is concerned all I can say is, well be there and do that, but this time do it right
Old 9th December 2011, 18:05   #891
BHPian

I have driven the Vista QJD for 2 years now. Completed 50300kms and gave it for service today. The only complaint I have is that the gear lever has developed more play than it should have. And yes, a headlight low beam bulb has to be changed. No rattles, no squeeks, nothing.
Old 9th December 2011, 18:13   #892
Senior - BHPian

for the first two years, even my indica (first gen) ownership was fairly painless, then it started becoming majorly expensive. even i refused to belive it when older indica owners told me, but of late I've been beginning to feel the pinch.
Old 9th December 2011, 21:15   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
Add me to the list too, I've done some 38K km in 1 and half years and never visited the TASS other than for a scheduled service.

But I also believe it depends on your car maintenace habbits, your driving style, add to that your understanding of the car's pros and cons. Are you a person who pushes the car the moment your in the drivers seat or your the other extreme? Your ability to get the best out of the car is the trick to have a loving relation and this can hold good for any car.

Vista's have had production issues more than design issues, that I feel is an on going process for any organization. For a 12 odd year old car company its been a pretty quick learning curve though a lot still needs to be achieved.
Driving habits! Well, I am a spirited driver (as much as a 65Bhp engine can afford), typically I shift just short of 3000 rpm and redline the engine at least a couple of times a day. To get that burst off the start line, i sometimes even rev it in first (40Kmph 1st, 80 Kmph second!).

Still the beauty manages to give me 14kmpl with AC in city conditions. On a recent trip to Shirdi I got almost 17.2Kmpl with AC!

Even after all this punishment it does not let me down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
for the first two years, even my indica (first gen) ownership was fairly painless, then it started becoming majorly expensive. even i refused to belive it when older indica owners told me, but of late I've been beginning to feel the pinch.
Isnt that expected? Some people who own Tata vehicles use it more often than other cars. E.g: A office colleague has put only 10 K in the past 2 years on his i20, whereas his Indigo has done 45K in the same period!

That apart, most spares of Tata vehicles are cheaper and you dont spend a bomb on replacing any thing. Also, the new gen Vista is leaps and bounds ahead of the 1st gen Indica.

Moreover, which car will not give you issues after two years?

But the issue is your Indica will give you issues after 2 years, but a Polo, i20 etc will give you issues after 3 months!
Old 10th December 2011, 11:38   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Driving habits! Well, I am a spirited driver (as much as a 65Bhp engine can afford),
well yeah, probably thats what greenhorn is trying to point out to saying that initially it was all gung-ho and after the honeymoon she is throwing tantrums

when you get a desi thats what to expect but the videshi is no better
Old 23rd December 2011, 14:59   #895

My vista has clocked 4100 kms in 2 months and has a issue which is unsolved in the first service.

Steering wheel vibration above the speed of 100 only.. below it no issues....During first service wheel balancing & alignment was done post which a highway trip to Erode tested the same, but the problem still persist. Got wheel balancing from Vijay alignments Bangalore post which tested again still the problem persist.

What could be the issue???

Apart from this car is a dream to drive...Overall mileage with in city 16kmpl without a/c..
Old 29th December 2011, 22:44   #896
BHPian

Am trying to replace the headlamp bulb for my Vista, but am finding it a bit challenging. Has anyone tried it before. I thought it was a simple DIY, but when i tried, I was not able to get the wiring clip off. Am thinking of going to a service center to get this done now.
Meanwhile if anyone has done it and can give me some tips and pointers to do it at home, would be very helpful. The one i am trying to replace is the driver side - low beam light.
Old 30th December 2011, 11:15   #897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vista_qjd View Post
Am trying to replace the headlamp bulb for my Vista, but am finding it a bit challenging. Has anyone tried it before. I thought it was a simple DIY, but when i tried, I was not able to get the wiring clip off. Am thinking of going to a service center to get this done now.
Meanwhile if anyone has done it and can give me some tips and pointers to do it at home, would be very helpful. The one i am trying to replace is the driver side - low beam light.
I too have lost the low beam, the manual mentions that you can access the head lamp by just opening the bonnet, apparently that's complete nonsense, you need to partly open the bumper from the side, 2 screws under the wheel cavity for which one needs to turn the steering completely to one side, in front there is one more nut just above the radiator, pull out the bumper half way and then finally you pull out the press-fit head-lamps to access the bulbs.

Though it is DIY but if you dont have the right screw-drivers/wrench its best left to be done at the TASS. The manual is for Indica and they apparently havent updated it for Vista, hope that helps.
Old 30th December 2011, 11:25   #898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
could you get a pic of the clip?
Its usually a slide parallel to the lamp, and then outward motion.
Old 30th December 2011, 16:09   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dragon View Post
My vista has clocked 4100 kms in 2 months and has a issue which is unsolved in the first service.

Steering wheel vibration above the speed of 100 only.. below it no issues....During first service wheel balancing & alignment was done post which a highway trip to Erode tested the same, but the problem still persist. Got wheel balancing from Vijay alignments Bangalore post which tested again still the problem persist.

What could be the issue???

Apart from this car is a dream to drive...Overall mileage with in city 16kmpl without a/c..
Twin dragon,Are you talking about steering vibration or steering wobble??,I have had the steering wobble issue and TASC hasnt solved it till now.They insisted that Goodyear tires are the problem and have replaced my front pair with brand new Goodyears again .The issue still persists.My vista has clocked 11k kms.

Before jumping to conclusions i would recommend you to get the wheels balanced and aligned from a reputed outlet as most of the time, TASC's eqpt are faulty.Be strict with them and try to get it solved once and for all.If not TASC will try to wash their hands off it.
All the best
Old 30th December 2011, 16:13   #900
BHPian

Quote:
Vista qdj - Are you just replacing the headlamps or upgrading it??If upgrading,what brand/wattage?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks