Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2013, 13:18   #1141
BHPian

Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Recently when i was driving at about 60-70 kmph, there was an undulation in a state highway which was quite big. When crossing it the whole car was bouncing all over the place and it was uncontrollable to say the least.
Old 29th April 2013, 23:36   #1142
BHPian

This is the fifth year and now struggling with a 2008 make 1.3 Quadra jet engine whose, Head Gate seal blown off and filled the outer area with litres of oil resulted in damaged EGR. But I am sure this doesn't happen quickly.
Last week one minibus tested the rigidity of the rear bumper of my Vista, as I was patiently waiting at signal light for the Green to glow. I heard screeching sound of brakes and a large thud sound at the rear end of my car. Dickey door got a new shape and bumper torn out.
I gave the car to TASS the very next day for denting works. Also asked them to check why the 75 bhp peppy engine is not responsive to throttle. The car was driven and maintained properly and filled with Synthetic oil after 20K. I don't even remember an occasion where I revved the car past 2.5-3K rpm.
I had already posted certain things in this thread regarding the low pulling and heavy dark smoke approximately a year back. That time car was under extended warranty. I asked TASS to check the issue 3 or 4 times. Every time they came with an answer of blocked intercooler inlet, clutch tightness, etcetera.
Now after the warranty period TASS investigated the problem is with Head gate Seal and the oil spilled out make the EGR sensors or whatever the things they says not functioning. I went there and they presented me the oil filled components. Promise that things look ugly with lot of oil/ sludge accumulated as layers. This made me guessing that this is not a recently raised problem.
They quoted me 50K for the complete work other than denting. 35K for head gate seal replacement and the rest for clutch assembly replacement as well as suspension problems (a real head ache from the very beginning).
I have some concerns and seek your valuable opinions.
1. Does it worth doing the head works and keeping the car?
2. What can be reason of blown out seal at 60k? As I experience this issue from last year, I think it as 48K kms.
3. Does this work will affect/ make any further problems to engine?
4. Cost? Is it genuine? 35k?
Old 30th April 2013, 06:51   #1143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anz1979 View Post
This is the fifth year and now struggling with a 2008 make 1.3 Quadra jet engine whose, Head Gate seal blown off and filled the outer area with litres of oil resulted in damaged EGR. But I am sure this doesn't happen quickly.
Last week one minibus tested the rigidity of the rear bumper of my Vista, as I was patiently waiting at signal light for the Green to glow. I heard screeching sound of brakes and a large thud sound at the rear end of my car. Dickey door got a new shape and bumper torn out.
I gave the car to TASS the very next day for denting works. Also asked them to check why the 75 bhp peppy engine is not responsive to throttle. The car was driven and maintained properly and filled with Synthetic oil after 20K. I don't even remember an occasion where I revved the car past 2.5-3K rpm.
I had already posted certain things in this thread regarding the low pulling and heavy dark smoke approximately a year back. That time car was under extended warranty. I asked TASS to check the issue 3 or 4 times. Every time they came with an answer of blocked intercooler inlet, clutch tightness, etcetera.
Now after the warranty period TASS investigated the problem is with Head gate Seal and the oil spilled out make the EGR sensors or whatever the things they says not functioning. I went there and they presented me the oil filled components. Promise that things look ugly with lot of oil/ sludge accumulated as layers. This made me guessing that this is not a recently raised problem.
They quoted me 50K for the complete work other than denting. 35K for head gate seal replacement and the rest for clutch assembly replacement as well as suspension problems (a real head ache from the very beginning).
2. What can be reason of blown out seal at 60k? As I experience this issue from last year, I think it as 48K kms.
Which TASS do you approach ?

1. kulathungal
2. focuz
3. Mohandas
4. any other

Did you took a second option in any of the workshops around ? eg:- Highway garage Kazhakoottam (They say that they are authorised Tata service)

From when onwards you changed to Synthetic oil with change interval of 20,000 kilometers ?
Old 30th April 2013, 09:42   #1144
BHPian

@ foby

Yes foby, I went to Kulathunkal in bypass.

Focuz and Mohandas, I won't prefer them as I am not satisfied with their explanation about problems and expertise with the engine.

2 months ago I discussed the low pulling issue with a genuine mech who runs a shop near my office. He works on Linea, Corolla, Innova etc. When talked to him , it sounds me that he know things very well. After driving the car for 20 mins in heavy traffic, he stated that the clutch assembly needs replacement and you can consider cleaning of injectors, only if you are not satisifed about the performance after clutch replacement.

I switched to Synthetic oil (Mobil) from 20K kilometers onwards. Change interval is 10K. That means on every service I changed the oil.

See the image..
Attached Images

Old 30th April 2013, 09:59   #1145
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you faced any issue of power loss around 2000 RPM. I too have 2008 vista Aura. i was facing the issue of power loss from 10K onwards around 2K rpm. Finally towards the end of extended warranty period TASS (Concorde) changed Cylinder head gasket and two/three valves .
They charged Rs 500/ for labour and covered it in warranty.
Valves and gasket are replaced under extended warranty.

Last edited by rkg : 30th April 2013 at 10:00.
Old 30th April 2013, 10:43   #1146
BHPian

@rkg

Yes I think we are having the same issue...
Old 30th April 2013, 10:56   #1147
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@rkg

Yes I think we are having the same issue...
Ask them to give compression test, that will show clearly if it is an issue with head gasket.

In my case turbo and other parts were not touched at all. only gasket was changed along with 2 or 3 valves.

My car has run 62k by that time. Now it is 70.5K. i did not face the issue after the replacement of gasket
Old 24th May 2013, 14:02   #1148
Senior - BHPian

Guys
i often notice that on highway drives ( basically long distance travel ), within 100kms of drive, the gear shift because extremely hard. Not that the Vista's shift quality is butter smooth in the City but with long distance drives, the shift requires a lot of effort. Has this anything to do with the transmission oil being old ?

My car is touching 30K - kms and all scheduled services have been done. I bought the car at 23K kms and did a comprehensive service at 27K. But i dont think transmission oil has been changed in the recent past. what could be the issue ?
Old 24th May 2013, 22:49   #1149
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
i often notice that on highway drives ( basically long distance travel ), within 100kms of drive, the gear shift because extremely hard. Has this anything to do with the transmission oil being old ?

My car is touching 30K - kms and all scheduled services have been done. I bought the car at 23K kms and did a comprehensive service at 27K. But i dont think transmission oil has been changed in the recent past. what could be the issue ?
My car has done 71K. AFAIK i have not changed transmission oil till now. Clutch and gear are ok and fine as per TASS and also independent mechanic ( he advised me not to sell but continue with it). i was changing only engine oil, oil filter, air filter as per manual and topping up brake fluid as and when needed.
iam thinking of transmission oil checked now.

TASS changed power steering oil at 62K without asking me. as per manual it is at 1 lakh km interval
Old 27th May 2013, 15:08   #1150
BHPian

I just completed 60K service and moved to Michelin XM2's. My Honda City has XM1+ as stock tyres and I'm completed sold on the XM series.
Indica Vista - list of Known problems-vista3294team.jpg

Superb comfort, very low noise and the car behaves very well. The earlier stock from Tata was Goodyear's so maybe the XM2's are a God sent, I got a rate of 4850 and Jan '13 make here in Bangalore
Indica Vista - list of Known problems-vista3292team.jpg

but I'm posting here for things I just found from the TASS. First its a great time to get your car serviced due to the overall slowdown the industry is facing, the SA will devote complete time for all of your silly query's . They have a new rear viper which looks like the Punto viper to me, its completely enclosed and gives better look unlike the exposed one earlier and its Bosch, previous one was "Syndicate".
Indica Vista - list of Known problems-vista3298team.jpg

costs reasonable too

Indica Vista - list of Known problems-vista3309small.jpg

Second is for Quadrjet engine, there is a new air filter cover which is more tight, has a better fit and according to the SA the earlier one has a small leak causing decrease in FE.
Indica Vista - list of Known problems-vista3299small.jpg

this one is tad smaller than the previous version, though visually you wont see any changes but if you place both of them together you'll see the new version has a better fit.
Indica Vista - list of Known problems-vista3304team.jpg

I think one can claim it under extended warranty, just use your good relations with the TASS
Indica Vista - list of Known problems-vista3310small.jpg

There is also a new clamp or screw, forgetting the exact name the SA used, but this is for the steering noise/rubbing when you rotate the steering completely to the left or right. I didnt have this problem in my car but read a couple of posts back some folks had this issue. I got this FOC its not there in the bill but its surely there for all 2012 cars as part of warranty claims.

There is a sure sense of getting things done more correctly the first time than repeated visits and if its pressure from top, its working. The good thing is that Tata has the habit of improving their products with each iteration (latest being D90 variant) and as customers we need to keep a lookout and get a good deal during their regular service visits. My car is Mar 2010 so I might have older versions of many tidbits but you should check for small details that would have got updated and probably you missed during service visits.

All in all works very well for customers.
kartikk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2013, 13:42   #1151

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
I just completed 60K service and moved to Michelin XM2's. My Honda City has XM1+ as stock tyres and I'm completed sold on the XM series. .............
Thank you Kartikk for your detailed update. Could you please share the TASS detail where you got your car serviced.

Last time I got my car serviced at EMM EMM motors. First time I am satisfied with any TASS work!
however after one month same problem returned. Whenever I quickly slow down my car and press the clutch engine shuts off itself. And it is difficult to show to service adviser because it is not every time reproducible.

2nd issue I faced during my recent visit to Ooty. I took 36 hairpin-band route and after crossing ~32 bands I realized that engine is not able to pull the car on first gear from the idle state.

To make the car move I have to cross the 2500 PM (to get the turbo kick in).

I never faced this before on any uphill road. is it normal?
Old 2nd June 2013, 17:51   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_01 View Post
...Whenever I quickly slow down my car and press the clutch engine shuts off itself. And it is difficult to show to service adviser because it is not every time reproducible.
Hi Vijay,

I'm bad at diagnosing problems but I can help you with the service centers where I went, Prerana Motors Kudlu Gate (9845500033), the SA was Shankar dont have his number with me, but there is this customer service manager who looks after post service complaints, he has helped me on previous occasions, (9945518218). There is also another service center right next to silk board if thats closer to you. Sundar(9901295255) is key person there.

Hope this helps
kartikk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 15:19   #1153
Senior - BHPian

Bridgestone select shops have an offer going on right now. The combo of 4 185/60 14 Inches Yokohama A drive tyres along with 4 alloys is being offered at 33,000/-. There is also a scope for negotiation.
Old 4th June 2013, 15:43   #1154
rkg
Senior - BHPian

My Vista is due for 72K service. last service is @ 62K

Front left suspension is gone and making lot of sounds. My FNG mechanic is suggesting reconditioning to changing them. He has done the same to back struts around 8-9 months back. He has taken me to the reconditioning guy on Kammanahalli main road. This guy does only reconditioning of shocks. The shop name is India Shock recondition or some thing like that. He is removing the top bolt and putting some more oil and resealing them.

Is it advisable to go for it or change to new Coil springs with struts ( front is a combo, no separate strut is available at OEM spare. Rear strut comes separate)
Old 4th June 2013, 18:42   #1155
BHPian

[quote="vijay_01;3138134"

however after one month same problem returned. Whenever I quickly slow down my car and press the clutch engine shuts off itself

2nd issue I faced during my recent visit to Ooty. I took 36 hairpin-band route and after crossing ~32 bands I realized that engine is not able to pull the car on first gear from the idle state.

To make the car move I have to cross the 2500 PM (to get the turbo kick in).

I never faced this before on any uphill road. is it normal?[/QUOTE]

1.what is the state of coolant reservoir and radiator grill?
2.do you drive in hot and dusty conditions?

3.is the air filter okay? Small hole may let dirt in the engine.

4.any increase in engine clatter?

Your problem points to:
1.overheating
2.one or more cylinders failing due to loss of compression or clogged injector
3.contamination /decreased pressure of fuel or inadequate /contaminated air

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks