Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2014, 12:04   #1291
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indica Vista - list of Known problems

Guys as I had reported earlier the clutch in my 2009 Dec Vista QJD run about 40K is reaaly hard. Its been this way for the past 15k Kms. With ac usage the hardness increases even more and the gear shift also becomes very hard. While a trusted mechanic and TASS have said clutch needs to be changed, will this completely solve the problem and for how long ? Are there any fundamental design flaws in the clutch of these early Vistas that they harden very very early ? I want to check this before I invest in a clutch overhaul. Thanks
Old 17th May 2014, 14:40   #1292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys as I had reported earlier the clutch in my 2009 Dec Vista QJD run about 40K is reaaly hard. Its been this way for the past 15k Kms. With ac usage the hardness increases even more and the gear shift also becomes very hard. While a trusted mechanic and TASS have said clutch needs to be changed, will this completely solve the problem and for how long ? Are there any fundamental design flaws in the clutch of these early Vistas that they harden very very early ? I want to check this before I invest in a clutch overhaul. Thanks
Hi Narayan, there are no design flaws with the clutch mechanism. If this were the case then there would be cars lined up at the TASS just for a clutch change.
Anyway, why did you use the vehicle for so long with a problematic clutch? I had a similar problem with my clutch. I used to find it hard. However, I got this replaced under warranty, when I had done about 10k kilometres. The replacement will cost you about 7k but will be worth it as you will get peace of mind.
Clutches last depending on how you drive and traffic condition. So constant stop and go traffic will have an impact on the longetivity of the clutch as well as placing your foot on the clutch while driving.
So 40k IMHO is not bad for a clutch change. My friends wife's VW Polo had a paid clutch replacement at 5k kms which was almost 12k.
Old 17th May 2014, 15:03   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Hi Narayan, there are no design flaws with the clutch mechanism.
Hi Bigben
I specifically was told by the SA at Tass as well that early model Vistas till mid 2010 I think had a different clutch design which resulted in this premature hardening. Apparently this was corrected in subsequent upgrades starting from the "drivetech 4" variants but apparently that clutch can't be fitted in earlier Vistas
Old 17th May 2014, 15:14   #1294
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Bigben
I specifically was told by the SA at Tass as well that early model Vistas till mid 2010 I think had a different clutch design which resulted in this premature hardening. Apparently this was corrected in subsequent upgrades starting from the "drivetech 4" variants but apparently that clutch can't be fitted in earlier Vistas
The Drivetech4 model was the BS4 version which had a new gearbox and a few minor tweaks here and there. Every new variant has tweaks and they must have changed the design of the clutch to make shifts easier but that does not mean that the old ones have a flaw.
Mine has completed 65k and the clutch is still going strong.
Old 17th May 2014, 16:49   #1295
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Bigben
My Vista is October 2008 registered. One of the first batch. I never faced the clutch problem at all. My clutch lasted 82K and 5.5 years. I drive daily in one of busiest stop go roads of bangalore. Even at 82 K i changed it voluntarily as i had to change CRB due to noise. Mechanic told clutch plate still has 5-10K life
Infact i feel first Vista have better mechanical than later ones. None of the electrical, mechanical things failed in my Vista . Now at 91K
Most of the time TASS guys tell customer some junk to just ward them off.
I wanted Concorde to check the alternator in my Vista In March 2014. He told me no need to check mine as it belongs to initial lot , which has Valeos alternators made in Germany. Later batches too have same alternator but made in India. I do not know how far this is true.
However i made him to check battery charging, which was found to be fine
Old 17th May 2014, 17:33   #1296
Senior - BHPian

Bigben and rkg - thanks for your replies. No doubt I need to go for a clutch change due the hardness in the clutch pedal AND hardness while gearshift. I hope the replacement gives a decent life like rkg has got ! Lot of the plastic panels have also started feeling lose and the front power windows require regular attention. I'm thinking of putting in 10k into the "donkey" and let her work for another 3 yrs atleast. No offense on the donkey reference - after all she's a great workhorse
Old 17th May 2014, 17:41   #1297
BHPian

Quote:
Bigben and rkg - thanks for your replies. No doubt I need to go for a clutch change due the hardness in the clutch pedal AND hardness while gearshift. I hope the replacement gives a decent life like rkg has got ! Lot of the plastic panels have also started feeling lose and the front power windows require regular attention. I'm thinking of putting in 10k into the "donkey" and let her work for another 3 yrs atleast. No offense on the donkey reference - after all she's a great workhorse
Now that's a good decision. Yup I think 10k spent on your donkey will definitely be worth it!
She is a good car. Treat her well and she will treat you well! That's my principle at least.
All the best. Keep the post updated on and after the change.
Drive safe.
Old 17th May 2014, 18:03   #1298

My Indica Vista VX has OEM Good Year 175/65/R14 tyres done 23k kms on the odo in two years. To my knowledge I get the air pressure checked regularly. However, I am being told by my friendly puncturewala that 2 out of 4 tyres are worn out, a little before it had done 19K kms itself.

Also, I hear a good deal of rumbling noise when going at speeds above 60 kmph. The tyres aren't bald yet; is it normal to have such wearing out at just 23k kms?

Are the OEM tyres made of sub standard quality & they are due for replacement or have I not taken care of them properly? I am confused.

Please throw some light on this topic!
Old 17th May 2014, 19:11   #1299
Senior - BHPian

I changed the clutch plates at 52k Kms for around 6.5k/-. Believe me it makes a world of difference. The daily commute has become so smooth now. I am lovin it!
I agree that there was no design flaw or anything with the earlier Vistas. Otherwise I would've had to replace clutch much earlier (mine is July 2009 manf).
Old 17th May 2014, 23:55   #1300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushibeta View Post
My Indica Vista VX has OEM Good Year 175/65/R14 tyres done 23k kms on the odo in two years. To my knowledge I get the air pressure checked regularly. However, I am being told by my friendly puncturewala thehat 2 out of 4 tyres are worn out, a little before it had done 19K kms itself.

Also, I hear a good deal of rumbling noise when going at speeds above 60 kmph. The tyres aren't bald yet; is it normal to have such wearing out at just 23k kms?

Are the OEM tyres made of sub standard quality & they are due for replacement or have I not taken care of them properly? I am confused.

Please throw some light on this topic!
I am not sure if you noticed but I think post 2010 or 2011 the OEM tyres offered on the Vista were Bridgestone. The good year tyres that our cars were shod with were nothing great and had to be changed after 30 to 40k kilometers. Besides if you check most of these online websites that sell tyres you will see that the goodyears are the cheapest tyres that money can buy. So I guess margins come into the picture here.
I changed mine after 36k kilometres.
It is strange if yours have worn out so soon. Is the wear even or uneven? How often did you get the alignment done since you mentioned rumbling?
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2014, 06:08   #1301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if you noticed but I think post 2010 or 2011 the OEM tyres offered on the Vista were Bridgestone.
I was a lucky customer to get Bridgestones on my 2009 Vista. Even today at 52k Kms, they are going very strong and as per multiple tyre dealers' opinion, these Bridgestones can go for another 15-20k kms easily. There have been 3 punctures in 5 years and that too minor ones.

Very happy with Bridgestone. Most likely I will stick to the same brand on my next change of tyres.
Old 18th May 2014, 08:34   #1302

Quote:

I am not sure if you noticed but I think post 2010 or 2011 the OEM tyres offered on the Vista were Bridgestone. The good year tyres that our cars were shod with were nothing great and had to be changed after 30 to 40k kilometers. Besides if you check most of these online websites that sell tyres you will see that the goodyears are the cheapest tyres that money can buy. So I guess margins come into the picture here.
It is strange if yours have worn out so soon. Is the wear even or uneven? How often did you get the alignment done since you mentioned rumbling?
Mine is a 2012 Vista and I had Good Year tyres. I had experienced the ride quality
Old 18th May 2014, 09:06   #1303

Quote:
Mine is a 2012 Vista and it still came with Good Year tyres! I have experienced the goodness of Bridgestone in my Hyundai Accent and when I compare that to Good Year on the Vista, it is indeed not all that great quality.

I have got the alignment done thrice so far (once in 6 months and balancing last year when the car completed 12k kms). I'm planning to get alignment and balancing done next month.

The wearing out seems to be even, however, it was more on the front left tyre. I have got the tyres rotated when they clocked 12k on the Odo.

Regarding the rumbling, I initially thought it was due to the mud on the road that the noise was coming through, as in even the slightest of tilt in the steering wheel would cause this kind of a rumbling noise. Later on, this happened even on a rubberised road. I asked one of the friendly drivers for this too and he was of the opinion that the tyre(s)'s worn out. Of late, experiencing a little ratting / wobbling of the steering wheel, which I am hoping will get resolved after wheel alignment and balancing is done.

Dear Mods, I tried to post a little earlier on this topic, but I clicked on the Send button on my mobile accidentally, requesting you to kindly delete the earlier post and retain this post. Thank you!
Old 18th May 2014, 21:15   #1304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I was a lucky customer to get Bridgestones on my 2009 Vista. Even today at 52k Kms, they are going very strong and as per multiple tyre dealers' opinion, these Bridgestones can go for another 15-20k kms easily. There have been 3 punctures in 5 years and that too minor ones.

Very happy with Bridgestone. Most likely I will stick to the same brand on my next change of tyres.
I was advised to get the my Bridgestone tires changed once it crosses 4 years from the date of manufacture by a friend who happens to be the District Manager at Bridgestone and a few people at the regular tyre alignment center. Am I missing something here?
Old 19th May 2014, 10:30   #1305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
I was advised to get the my Bridgestone tires changed once it crosses 4 years from the date of manufacture by a friend who happens to be the District Manager at Bridgestone and a few people at the regular tyre alignment center. Am I missing something here?
4 Years is a bit too early for tyre change esp. if they have good amount of treads on it. The change interval in terms of time would ideally be 5-6 years, if there are not major cracks on rubber.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks