Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2009, 21:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford 1.4 TDCi Tuning Options

Amongst the CRDI Diesel engines the Ford 1.4TDCi is one of the very leastr discussed Diesel Engines in Team-BHP when compared to the 1.3Fiat Diesel and the Hyundai Uber Diesels. This 1.4 engine is pretty lame in it's stock configuration pumping out only 68horses. With a Petes box the power can be upped to 82BHP, but that is still not enough for a car of the size this engine powers in our market. The engine has no intercooler, which is a letdown and the boost is controlled by a mechanically set wastegate, unlike the electronic controled type in the Elantra.

For the 1.4TDCi engines what options exist for pumping the power to atleast 100horses? This engine is also known as the 1.4HDI motor when it's used in Peugeot/Citroen vehicles. Google threw up some results while searching for options for this engine, with claimed horsepower ranging from 80 to 95. Does Petes allow for a setting which can be increased from the normal 82 to higher?

Ford Diesel Chip Tuning and Tuningbox Performance
Performance Chips for Ford - SanCo Tuning Centre
Diesel tuning chip for Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi (68hp / 50kW, CR) :: Chiptuning Dire
Ford Fusion 1.4 TDCi 68 PS | Ford | Cars | Diesel Tuning
Diesel Tuning Box for Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi 68 PS-BHP / 160 Nm by CHIP Express™

What can be done on this engine to extract atleast a 100 horses from this engine; Intercooler, more boost, RD ECU, Petes Box? Or a combination of all these?

Ford 1.4 TDCi Tuning Options-43c05889a11d49de8a6a2da8bf03c21f.jpg

Last edited by Sankar : 12th May 2009 at 21:42.
Old 12th May 2009, 21:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

the 80 bhp versions are probably the DOHC 16V versions of the same engine.
Old 12th May 2009, 21:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nope, the 80 to 95 horses i mentioned was all bumped up horsepower figures of the same 68BHP 1.4TDCi motor.
Old 12th May 2009, 22:31   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The discussion should be centered around the Fiesta 1.4TDCi, instead of a Ford. The 1.4 TDCi mill's woefully inadequate for the Fiesta, and the Fiesta can definitely do with some boost there, to make what can be a much better car considering the overall comforts it already has.

The Ikon is practically ruled out, with the kind of space left in there after they dropped the engine into the car.
Old 13th May 2009, 00:11   #5
BHPian

Great topic to've a discussion on. Will be keeping a watch on this thread.
Old 13th May 2009, 00:17   #6
BHPian

As per the information on Petes website ( Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited ), the PSI tuning box bumps up the power of the ford 1.4 TDCi to 83 bhp and there is an additional setting which further increases it by 7 bhp (though I'm not sure if you need to go in for any other mod for that), so 90 bhp is possible from that engine. Your best bet is to call up Petes and check with him.
Old 13th May 2009, 00:20   #7
Team-BHP Support

The price for the Pete's kit for the 1.4TDCi is woefully restrictive, as one of the members on the forum found out. He dumped the option knowing the price.
Old 13th May 2009, 00:26   #8
BHPian

Yes, you can get a psi tuning box for a merc 200/220 for 19,000 bucks but for ford, it's 44,000 Rs. It's better to get someone to bring it from abroad.

here's a cheaper option (for 10,000 Rs.) if you can order it from ebay- Power Box CR Diesel Tuning Chip FORD Fiesta 1.4 TDCI:eBay Motors (item 330304453684 end time May-30-09 13:56:31 PDT)

Last edited by Astleviz : 13th May 2009 at 00:33.
Old 13th May 2009, 06:55   #9
rippergeo

The mechanical wastegates are easy to adjust usually. They are usually screw type devices, that can be increased or decreased.
But its not a wise thing to do. Upping the boost by adjusting wastegate settings simply strains the turbo.

also,the increased boost will not translate into more power because
1. the charge air temp will go up.
2.more importantly, fuelling stays stock

Addding an intercooler(I dont know if its possible,space and plumbing issues) might help, albeit at the cost of slightly more lag.

removing the catcon will also help in the turbo spooling up faster.
Not sure if its really needed in this car, because lag was never an issue in this model.

The tuning box will definitely help. Yes its expensive, but no other method(except other tuning boxes) gives so much of an increase with so little effort and risk. From experience, the amount of backup you get from Pete's is very satisfactory.

Remaps for the fiesta- should be available soon. custom remapping will ensure that you squeeze out the max from all the other mods that have been done.

@sankar- You're modding diesels now? Whats happening? New ride?
  (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2009, 06:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The discussion should be centered around the Fiesta 1.4TDCi, instead of a Ford. The 1.4 TDCi mill's woefully inadequate for the Fiesta, and the Fiesta can definitely do with some boost there, to make what can be a much better car considering the overall comforts it already has.

The Ikon is practically ruled out, with the kind of space left in there after they dropped the engine into the car.
Fiesta is the heaviest of the three Fords which are powered by the 1.4tdci; Fiesta = 1150kg, Fusion=1140kg and Ikon=1006kg. Fiesta a bit more powerful engine considering it's girth, but it was the Ikon which i had in my mind when i put this up. Reason is if we are able to extract a 100horses from this engine then in the Ikon it would give a power to weight ratio of 100BHP per ton which will make it into a economical and fun to drive car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
As per the information on Petes website ( Pete's Automotive Products Pvt Limited ), the PSI tuning box bumps up the power of the ford 1.4 TDCi to 83 bhp and there is an additional setting which further increases it by 7 bhp (though I'm not sure if you need to go in for any other mod for that), so 90 bhp is possible from that engine. Your best bet is to call up Petes and check with him.
Okay so 90bhp is possible with the Pete's box. I think with the second+7bhp setting the induction part has to be taken care of otherwise it may just be a case of over fuelling. I am not sure about it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The price for the Pete's kit for the 1.4TDCi is woefully restrictive, as one of the members on the forum found out. He dumped the option knowing the price.
There are couple of other options which i posted the links for in my first post, these are in the 29k and 34k range and promises to bump up the horses to 92 to 102bhp. If the latter is possible without any induction modification then the target has been achieved.
Posting it again here:
Diesel Tuning Box for Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi 68 PS-BHP / 160 Nm by CHIP Express™
http://www.dte-diesel-tuning.com/vmc...dci-68-ps.html

Since the Ford doesn't have an intercooler how much boost can it safely take, anyone have an idea? How difficult would it be to mount an intercooler in an Ikon with 1.4tdci? I guess without taking care of the airsupply additional gains may not be had with just increasing fueling by the boxes.
Old 13th May 2009, 07:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi ripper replies and questions are in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
The mechanical wastegates are easy to adjust usually. They are usually screw type devices, that can be increased or decreased.
But its not a wise thing to do. Upping the boost by adjusting wastegate settings simply strains the turbo.

also,the increased boost will not translate into more power because
1. the charge air temp will go up.
2.more importantly, fuelling stays stock

>> Yep it's done by adjusting the nut. Pics attached below. But as you said the fueling and the intake temps has to be taken care of for it to be effective and reliable.

Addding an intercooler(I dont know if its possible,space and plumbing issues) might help, albeit at the cost of slightly more lag.

>> Condor metioned that underhood space is at a premium inside the Ikon engine bay. So big Intercoolers might be impossible. I had the Indica/go's intercooler in mind it's slim and compact, since it's small it may not develop too much lag either. Btw does Swift have an intercooler?

removing the catcon will also help in the turbo spooling up faster.
Not sure if its really needed in this car, because lag was never an issue in this model.

The tuning box will definitely help. Yes its expensive, but no other method(except other tuning boxes) gives so much of an increase with so little effort and risk. From experience, the amount of backup you get from Pete's is very satisfactory.

>> Does Pete's recommend any additional changes in the engine when the box is cranked to produce 90 horses?

Remaps for the fiesta- should be available soon. custom remapping will ensure that you squeeze out the max from all the other mods that have been done.

>> From Petes? Cool. Any idea when and the amount of increse in power figures?

@sankar- You're modding diesels now? Whats happening? New ride?

>> Just looking at the options and the potential they have.
Fiesta 1.4tdci turbo and waste gate nut.
Ford 1.4 TDCi Tuning Options-dsc00313cs.jpg
Ford 1.4 TDCi Tuning Options-dsc00311cs.jpg
Old 13th May 2009, 11:03   #12
BHPian

There is no intercooler in a ford 1.4 tdci? this is news to me.
If you are planning to increase power from 68-100bhp then intercooler is recommended, as there is no much of space you can try a smaller one.
Old 13th May 2009, 14:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Yep Rajiv unfortunately no intercooler for the 1.4 tdci.

Googled and found some interesting random info regarding this engine:
1) Designed by Peugeot
2) There was a 16v dohc head available for this engine and it had an intercooler. That motor wouldn't meet the Euro4 std even with a particulate filter so it was discontinued by 2006. 8V engine becomes Euro4 compliant with the addition of a soot trap so it wasn't discontinued.
3) Bosch and Siemens both are ECu vendors for this engine. Wonder which one the Ford here has tied up with.
4) It has a Borg Warner KP35 turbo which is said to have a safe boost limit upto 1.5bar without straining it's nuts off.
5) Some guys in the UK are running with 1.3bar boost on their tdci's don't know if it's with or without IC. Normal boost is around 16psi/1.1bar.
6) The black thingy which has the "Ford TDCi" marked and which the turbo feeds to and which in turn feeds the manifold is said to be a noise suppressor.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2009, 19:47   #14
rippergeo

The swift has an intercooler. its pretty tiny,and it might do well for the ikon tdci.I'm sure I'll benefit from a bigger one, but its position currently doesnt let us put in a larger one, there is just no space.

The tuning boxes are all set for working with an upgraded air filter. no further mods are required.
Ofcourse, if the exhaust is made less restrictive, we'd get more out of the tuning box. but it is not a must.

using the higher settings on the tuning box is putting the law of diminishing returns into action. usually, +1 or +2 is the best for most cars.

Nothing concrete about the remaps yet. I know he's working on it. Having custom remaps done here in india itself is a huge advantage. so waiting eagerly for that good news. but remaps usually do slightly better than tuning boxes in power output on stock engines, the difference goes up substantially with other engine mods in place.

the boxes(pete's or others) will give you definite gains,even without the intercooler, but there's more to be had if an intercooler can be squeezed in along with a remap.

Old 14th August 2009, 19:23   #15
oss
BHPian

@Sankar: Did you finally go for the Pete's box? How is the performance now?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks