Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2014, 10:33   #151
BHPian

Re: Ford 1.4 TDCi Tuning Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
really ? does a remap change the engine characteristics so much that, idling rpm entirely shifts to a new ball park ? that too, by ~1000 rpm ?
Oh, sorry for that, it is 900 rpm. I do not know if we can change the idling rpm through a remap, but in my case it has not changed. The idling is still at 900 rpm and sometime between 900 to 1000 rpm.
Old 12th March 2014, 22:02   #152
BHPian

Oh man, I have a 1.4TDCi and I was planning to get a set of alloys in the near future. After going through this thread I have now half a mind of getting a remap done now.
Old 12th March 2014, 23:47   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishotmydog View Post
Oh man, I have a 1.4TDCi and I was planning to get a set of alloys in the near future. After going through this thread I have now half a mind of getting a remap done now.
A remapped 1.4 TDCi would be more fun than driving it with alloy wheels. Having driven both stock & remapped 1.4 TDCi, you would feel a whole lot of difference in engine post remap.

Go for a remap and you wont regret it.
Old 13th March 2014, 12:08   #154
Senior - BHPian

Came across this article.. was looking at a Kiirus remap.
The acceleration data though, shows a very small improvement from 0-100 of half a second. Thats practically nothing..
http://www.petes.in/images/swift_autocar.pdf

Can one really get a feel of a remap while driving..does it not feel like a stock car?
Old 13th March 2014, 13:36   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Came across this article.. was looking at a Kiirus remap.

Can one really get a feel of a remap while driving..does it not feel like a stock car?
I have got my 1.4 TDCi Ford Classic remapped from Kiirus. When you drive a stock & remapped 1.4 TDCi you would get to know the difference. Engine is more eager and belts out more power. Just simply check in your car how much does 2nd gear does. Mine stands at 70 Kmph and that too shy of red line.

If you get a chance drive stock & remapped car and you would know the difference. Remap definitely adds a lot more juice to age old 1.4 TDCi mill.
Old 19th April 2014, 19:20   #156
Senior - BHPian

The ford Classic(fiesta old) and the Figo uses the same powertrain, the 1.4 tdci in BS4 stage norm.

But why is the service interval of the former 6 months(or 10k km), while Figo still maintains 1 year(or 10k km). From this forum, i gather that the ECU tuning is different for both the models, resulting in slight power output differences.

They use the same specification engine oil(5W30).

More details:

model power ps(kw) torque nm(kg-m)

classic 68(50.7)@4000rpm 160(16.3) / 2000

Figo 69 (50.7)@4000rpm 160(16.3) @ 2000

Last edited by ramzsys : 19th April 2014 at 19:21.
Old 1st May 2014, 22:22   #157
Senior - BHPian

If one goes for a re-map or a tuning box, is it also advisable to change to synthetic oil? What happens if one does not? I'm asking because I've just got my Figo's engine oil changed in its 20K kms service. I did not go for synthetic this time.

I'm getting tempted for more power, but not sure whether to go for a re-map or a tuning box. One thing I've noticed is that in either case, more smoke belches out under hard acceleration. I am saying this after observing a few cars in Hyderabad.
Old 1st May 2014, 22:35   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
If one goes for a re-map or a tuning box, is it also advisable to change to synthetic oil? What happens if one does not?
It is not mandatory to shift to synthetic oil whether you go for a remap or tuning box. But if you do change to synthetic oil (a good one at that) then you will notice that the engine revvs freer & smoother compared to when on mineral oil. Its totally up to you to change to synthetic at a later date after your remap/tuning box upgrade.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 23:54   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I'm getting tempted for more power, but not sure whether to go for a re-map or a tuning box.
My advice go in for remap only.
  • First & foremost, remap controls multiple values in an ECU whereas a tuning box simply put injects more diesel by fooling ECU.
  • Ford 1.4 TDCi is quite old mill, Ford engineers never update ECU or even check up whether there is anything different under hood.
  • Its been 21,000 Kms since remap, no issues whatsoever.
  • All service done at Ford, no problem whatsoever.
  • Under warranty parts are changed, remap in no way voids it.
  • Using mineral oil. Works out cheaper.
  • No dangling piggy box under hood

Lastly, even if you still have doubts whether remap or tuning box. Just Google up and you would get reviews where remap any day beats a tuning box. Even the person selling tuning box wouldn't disagree.

Good tuners in India.
1. Kiirus
2. Tune-O-Tronics.

I won't count Petes as they charge a bomb for 1.4 TDCi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
The ford Classic(fiesta old) and the Figo uses the same powertrain, the 1.4 tdci in BS4 stage norm.

But why is the service interval of the former 6 months(or 10k km), while Figo still maintains 1 year(or 10k km). From this forum, i gather that the ECU tuning is different for both the models, resulting in slight power output differences.
Can any expert help decipher why difference in interval when both Figo & Classic use same 1.4 TDCi.
Old 2nd May 2014, 00:49   #160
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Lastly, even if you still have doubts whether remap or tuning box. Just Google up and you would get reviews where remap any day beats a tuning box. Even the person selling tuning box wouldn't disagree.
Hi there, we strongly disagree

Each system (Remap / tuning box ) has its own set of advantages and disadvantages and choosing between them becomes an extremely subjective decision depending up the application/end user.

The following factors, if viewed in a spider-matrix would give you a complete idea of where each product shines:

Performance
Efficiency
Real-world drivability and feel
Reliability
NVH
Emissions
Ease of installation/Ability to transfer to another vehicle
Price
After-sales support

The debate can go on forever, we're just chipping in with our two Cents.

Regards,

RD

Last edited by Racedynamics : 2nd May 2014 at 00:55.
Racedynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 11:46   #161
BHPian

Hi could you please list out the pros and cons of each RaceDynamics? It would help us in choosing the right one!
Old 2nd May 2014, 13:03   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racedynamics View Post
The following factors, if viewed in a spider-matrix would give you a complete idea of where each product shines:

Performance
-Snip-
After-sales support

The debate can go on forever, we're just chipping in with our two Cents.
Well you know better, a custom tuned remap would any day trump over a tuning box, which a person of your esteem shouldn't disagree upon. All the above factors listed are also there in remap and even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Hi could you please list out the pros and cons of each RaceDynamics? It would help us in choosing the right one!
Remap, if you wish to extract maximum potential of your car's engine. Tuning box if you just want to go fast by injecting more fuel.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 16:28   #163
BANNED

Quote:
Well you know better, a custom tuned remap would any day trump over a tuning box, which a person of your esteem shouldn't disagree upon. All the above factors listed are also there in remap and even better.
A quick look at some of the threads in the modifications section will dispel this notion that a remap performs better. This post is a great example - The tuning box made more torque than the remap. The remapped car did go on to post a slightly higher figure after further tuning. Now keep in mind that a tuning box can be tuned as well and we do not push our boxes to the limit. The box in question was actually road-tuned for real-world drivability and this was the first time it was being measured on the dyno.

Quote:
Remap, if you wish to extract maximum potential of your car's engine. Tuning box if you just want to go fast by injecting more fuel.
This is an extremely biased and rather misleading post. Both achieve an increase in power by injecting more fuel, it is the means they follow to get this done that differentiates one from the other.

As we mentioned earlier, both have their benefits and one may be more suited to a particular individuals requirements than the other.

Great discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Being manufacturers, it wouldn't be fair to comment. Ultimately the VFM proposition is important and it really does depend on the end user!

Besides, if we wanted to prove a point, it would be on the racetrack - which we've already done

Last edited by Racedynamics : 2nd May 2014 at 16:39.
Old 2nd May 2014, 17:42   #164
Senior - BHPian

If someone says I got warranty replacements after an engine mod,be warned its an exception rather than the norm.

The manufacturers can and will find out about any mods you may have done to your engine. They made that engine and know it better than any tuner out there. They have the means and will dig deep if they have to. The only saving grace may be your rep with SA,but I doubt if they can help if some big-ticket item fails.

I won't get into which is better,but the bottomline is,you're in for warranty related issues.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 2nd May 2014 at 17:44.
Old 2nd May 2014, 18:27   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A quick look at some of the threads in the modifications section will dispel this notion that a remap performs better. This post is a great example - The tuning box made more torque than the remap. The remapped car did go on to post a slightly higher figure after further tuning. Now keep in mind that a tuning box can be tuned as well and we do not push our boxes to the limit. The box in question was actually road-tuned for real-world drivability and this was the first time it was being measured on the dyno.
Well, how did it make more torque is the question.

Firstly, you can fix a dual channel box only in vehicles which have VGT's. So only parameters which can be changed here is the fuel rail pressure and the VGT vane angle or boost in case of vehicles equipped with an electronic boost controller.

On your website you say the Dieseltronic will increase the peak power by 30% in P2 mode which translates to around 98 bhp in case of the Swift D, but how is that achieved with a single channel tuning box which connects to the fuel rail ? Just by increasing the fuel pressure inside the fuel rail by fooling the ECU into making it believe that there is less pressure in the fuel rail than the actual real pressure by decreasing the voltage readings from the fuel rail pressure sensor which are on its way to the ECU.

An analogue tuning box does in a crude way, a digital tuning box can be programmed to come into picture at certain rpms, cut off at a certain rpm, not come into play at idle bla bla, but all you are doing is increasing the fuel pressure so that the injectors pump in more fuel. The other parameters are not working in conjunction with the increased fueling.

In a remap you can control every parameter possible and make sure everything works in conjunction with each other, so obviously its way way way more better than a tuning box which can control only a VGT vane and fuel pressure in case of vehicles with VGT, fuel rail pressure or fuel pulse width in case of vehicles with FGT.

Quote:
This is an extremely biased and rather misleading post. Both achieve an increase in power by injecting more fuel, it is the means they follow to get this done that differentiates one from the other.
I don't know why you find el lobo 6061 post biased when all he has stated is the absolute truth.

Of course in a tuning box you can remove it and go to a service station and claim warranty for whatever is conked, where is in a remap, you would have to go to a tuner and reflash the ECU so that if the service station ran extensive scans, they would not find out and I agree, that could be a minus point for a remap but performance wise, a tuning box does not even come close to a remap.

Common, I know you sell both these items and would not want to upmarket one over the other, but at least give the readers a clear picture.

And I do not mean any offence to anyone here !

Last edited by humyum : 2nd May 2014 at 18:34.
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks