Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2011, 21:20   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Ford 1.4 TDCi Tuning Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
P2- POWER GAIN BY 40%
I doubt one can gain 40% by just a remap. Did you dyno your car?
Old 27th September 2011, 17:58   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird View Post
Guys, review coming in few day.
Yes...I got thr RD Dieseltronics for Fiesta.
Price - 20k

The performance figures in percentage gain

S - STOCK
E - LEAN THAN STOCK...however no lugging happening - FE INCREASES. I use this in bumper to bumper traffic.
P1 - POWER GAIN BY 15 TO 20 % - this is an awesome mode. No down shifting in city. Can be used in city. No adverse impact on FE and should increase. This is fun. The fiesta comes alive. I like this mode very much.

P2- POWER GAIN BY 40%
simple words to describe
HELL BREAKS DOWN. I did check with RD if clutch takea hit. The answer was no. The P2 mode is just below peak so no worries.

Tried P2 mode at night on western express highway and on sea link. FIESTA becomes a different animal. I did not try this in city.

Few points
1. The power gain numbers quoted here with refernce to a small talk with Pawan from Race Dynamics.
2. I did not experience wheel spin. I am already on G3.
3. The modes can be changed while in motion. Yes and with a remote. So cool.
4. Service level of Race Dynamics is AAA +.

I will post a detailed review with all issues faced and how they were resolved. Yes with pics.

Highly recommended for TDCi
Congrats on getting the install done Hope you enjoy your ride!

Some quick questions -

1.How much time and effort did it take for installation? Meaning can it be DIY?
2. Please share RPM readings at 120 kmph and 150 kmph at 5th Gear.
3. Is it easily detachable? I would like to unplug it for servicing etc.
4. Who did you speak to @ RD?

Waiting for the pics and issue list..
Old 27th September 2011, 19:46   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I doubt one can gain 40% by just a remap. Did you dyno your car?
Well even if I consider numbers to be optimistic, I am happy with the performance gain achieved. Dyno would be a good option. These are just remaps, nothing has changed mechanically.

The numbers quoted would never translate to wheel due to mechanical losses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theodore_ftw View Post
Congrats on getting the install done Hope you enjoy your ride!

Some quick questions -

1.How much time and effort did it take for installation? Meaning can it be DIY? - 1 hr to locate the coupler to which the connection is done. There is a very little space to move hand or fingers. The battery box has to be removed. This is little tricky. I would not suggest DIY.

2. Please share RPM readings at 120 kmph and 150 kmph at 5th Gear. - I will do that next time when I go to Pune

3. Is it easily detachable? I would like to unplug it for servicing etc. - No need. Just put it to Stock mode and the box is bypassed, virtually Untraceable. The box is physically hard to locate as the engine bay is cramped. The only cable visible is power cable from battery which goes to box.

4. Who did you speak to @ RD? - I spoke to Chetan @ B'lore. Also Pawan was in Mumbai last week, got chance to speak with him

Waiting for the pics and issue list..
Pics will follow. Issues I hope not, however will update
Old 1st December 2011, 03:40   #64
BHPian

Fiesta Diesel - Fitting a large turbo?

Guys wanted to know if anyone here has installed a bigger turbo in Fiesta D. If so what are the gains in terms of performance .. and how much did the overall procedure cost.

Also wanted to know which are the other diesel cars which are available in india today would be better for a Turbo build which can be used as a daily drive and long highway cruising as well.

If am sounding naive sorry kinda new to this ..turbo thing.
Old 1st December 2011, 10:35   #65
BHPian

Re: Fiesta Diesel - Turbo Queries

AFAIK not many have tried to turbo fiesta diesel in india.

Turboing a diesel in india might cost you 1.5-2lks again depends on how much power gains you are expecting.

My advice is if you want to turbo a diesel car go for atleast 2000CC and above engines like magnum, cruze, bmw 320d etc.

I am told by a tuner that Magnum/Cruze can be made a 12sec(1/4mile) car and again the cost will be more.
Old 1st December 2011, 11:04   #66
BHPian

I do not think anybody would have tried changing the turbo on the Fiesta diesel. The reason could be cost, non availability of expertise and the mod market is not so developed in India as it is in the west.

I suggest you try one or the other tuning chips (red rooster, race dynamics or petes or race chip ) which would improve power output by 20-30 percent and would not cost more than 50K.

If you are going to put a bigger turbo be prepared for the heavier turbo lag. I am also not sure about the ability of the 1.4TDCi to drive a heavier turbo. A VGT should be a better idea.

Just my thoughts.
Old 1st December 2011, 13:04   #67
BHPian

I would definitely suggest a tuning box. You will get the same gains in power as you would if you buy a turbo. 20-30% increase at the very least. The Spider Diesel tuning box is what I have on my Endeavour 3.0 and it is an absolute beast of a car now Check out my thread in this same forum on the spider diesel tuning box vs petes. Wrote a review there too.
Old 1st December 2011, 14:12   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzy Boy View Post
Guys wanted to know if anyone here has installed a bigger turbo in Fiesta D.
Bigger Turbo = Bigger Turbo Lag = Bad Driveability.

I'd advise against going in for a major mod like this. Just because it doesn't make sense, considering the money spent and reliability compromised for the gains obtained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzy Boy View Post
Also wanted to know which are the other diesel cars which are available in india today would be better for a Turbo build which can be used as a daily drive and long highway cruising as well.
No need to build one. If Daily drive and cruising is the only aim, then buy a Magnum!. Its pure 'turbo' fun, this side of 10L.
Old 1st December 2011, 14:23   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
I suggest you try one or the other tuning chips (red rooster, race dynamics or petes or race chip ) which would improve power output by 20-30 percent and would not cost more than 50K.
I would agree here. As for the cost involved, a Race Dynamics unit costs a fraction less than 20K these days. Definitely a viable option.

Cheers
Old 1st December 2011, 17:19   #70
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiesta Diesel - Fitting a large turbo?

Don't waste your time adding a bigger turbo to that 1.4L diesel. It's built for driveability & fuel economy. If you want to play, get a car with a stock XL size turbo. A Magnum or Cruze come to mind. Alternatively, get a Vento + power box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavour333 View Post
You will get the same gains in power as you would if you buy a turbo. 20-30% increase at the very least.
A turbo can give you gains that are out of scope for tuning boxes, so I disagree with this statement of yours. Nevertheless, I do highly recommend tuning boxes from the reputable brands. I think they're a great plug-and-play way of getting more power.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 19:52   #71
BHPian

Re: Fiesta Diesel - Fitting a large turbo?

Thanks a lot guys for your suggestions.

Guys as i have heard having these tuning boxes esp for Diesel create lot of black smoke from the exhaust. Is that true ?
Old 2nd December 2011, 08:08   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO

A turbo can give you gains that are out of scope for tuning boxes, so I disagree with this statement of yours. Nevertheless, I do highly recommend tuning boxes from the reputable brands. I think they're a great plug-and-play way of getting more power.
I said that only because the gains from adding a bigger turbo to a car that already has one won't be as much as turbo'ing a non turbo car. Maybe I'm still wrong though.
Old 6th December 2011, 21:09   #73
LDJ
BHPian

Re: Ford 1.4 TDCi Tuning Options

Firebird waiting for your detailed review with pics!!

Anyone here tried the Chips available in the UK for 7k on your 1.4TDCI? Or anyone with experience with EngineCal?

I'm just trying to understand how different are these companies from RD and who's better (if that can be deduced) before plonking the money in!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th January 2012 at 07:27.
Old 7th December 2011, 00:44   #74
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford 1.4 TDCi Tuning Options

Has anyone tried the spider chip? the website claims some amazing features. But what is the cost?
Also without an inter-cooler, will there be any long term engine damage in using a piggy back chip?
Old 7th December 2011, 07:59   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530
Has anyone tried the spider chip?
I have it my Endeavour and love it. Check out my thread and review: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ck-pg-2-a.html

The spider and the RD box are supposed to be the best in India right now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks