Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:04   #121
BHPian

Re: Ford 1.4 TDCi Tuning Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
When you have Pete's, Red Rooster and RaceDynamics there is no need to look at getting a box from the US. The Indian boxes are expensive but are designed keeping in mind our traffic conditions, dusty conditions and they have been tested on the cars in India which means in the Indian state of tune.

I would not suggest importing a box.
Thanks for the feedback. But I am just concerned about the huge price difference! 7-8k vs 30k + !!! Anyways I have noted your point that Indian boxes are tuned for indian conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
Sam,

I recently read up about Kryptonite's remapped Skoda Rapid. He seems to have tried two tuning boxes and finally settled for remapping the ECU than use a separate tuning box.

You should probably check it out before you decide.
Some one else as well recommended a remap. But since I would be changing car may be in a couple of years, I would always prefer a box. If I go for a remap, can I revert to original map easily?

As far as I know Ford, those guys say that if you even change the alloy to something other than wha Ford provides, we loose warranty on suspension! And hence I dont even want to take a risk of adding a remap or a box which I cant remove myself ahead of a regular service/repair. DIY is a must for me and I am ready to grease my hands - After all we all are t-bhp automobile freaks!
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:58   #122
Senior - BHPian

A remap is always better than a box for the simple logic that no box available in india can control the air intake along with the fuel intake. The way it is connected itself shows that all it does is fool the ecu with a wrong fuel pressure.

And about the A.S.S guys identifying that your car has been remapped. Well with all due respect, if they were that intelligent they would not be working there in the first place. No A.S.S. in india is competent enough to identify the changed values in the torque, fuel, air, etc. maps of the ECU.
gemithomas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 00:08   #123
Senior - BHPian

A friend wanted more power from his 1.4 Figo
Went ahead with Dieseltronics!

Installation time - 1/2 an hour! Easy easy works as a piggy back on the main ECU.
End result- Amazing power! Car is super-fun to drive now in P2 mode.
Engine diesel clatter has come down significantly!
(this could also be due to the 0W 40 engine oil we changed to after the tuning box.
After the tuning box changed the engine oil to full synthetic.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford 1.4 TDCi Tuning Options-di.jpg  

Ford 1.4 TDCi Tuning Options-di2.jpg  

Ford 1.4 TDCi Tuning Options-di3.jpg  

Ford 1.4 TDCi Tuning Options-di4.jpg  

Ford 1.4 TDCi Tuning Options-di5.jpg  

Old 25th March 2013, 08:16   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
A friend wanted more power from his 1.4 Figo
Went ahead with Dieseltronics!

Installation time - 1/2 an hour! Easy easy works as a piggy back on the main ECU.
End result- Amazing power! Car is super-fun to drive now in P2 mode.
Engine diesel clatter has come down significantly!
(this could also be due to the 0W 40 engine oil we changed to after the tuning box.
After the tuning box changed the engine oil to full synthetic.
Thanks for sharing.
If would be great if you can answer the following :-

1) Cost involved.

2) How easy is it to remove and fix on your own? Ford's response on warranty? Was the vehicle inside warranty?

3) And a million dollar question - Can the setting be switched in realtime ? For example, when a Swift Diesel passes by How safe is it for the engine components?

4) In E-mode what incr in mileage was achieved?

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 25th March 2013 at 08:21.
Old 25th March 2013, 09:08   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Thanks for sharing.
If would be great if you can answer the following :-

1) Cost involved.

2) How easy is it to remove and fix on your own? Ford's response on warranty? Was the vehicle inside warranty?

3) And a million dollar question - Can the setting be switched in realtime ? For example, when a Swift Diesel passes by How safe is it for the engine components?

Hi Sam, just wanted to let you know that if you are looking to mod your car for performance by either a tuning box or remap, first off get the worry about warranty off your head. Believe me the dealer A.S.S can only diagnose the fault codes generated by the ECU and read through the OBD 2 port. All these remaps & tuning boxes (provided you remove it before service) does not generate any fault codes in the diagnostic software, hence, not detectable.

I had a RaceDynamics and now on a remap and both the times there were no fault codes generated by the car ECU. Unless the ECU itself is sent to the company to be read through a master device they cannot find out anything.

My suggestion will be to go with RaceDynamics because currently they are the cheapest AFAIK 17500 for the single channel and plus they are Bangalore based.

To answer your question, yes you can change the settings on the fly, does not impact any engine component until unless you are abusing the car by revving to red line in each gear (no use in Diesels). E-mode will be mainly for expressway cruising to get more mileage as in city mode the car will become very sluggish.

All the best with your plans

Last edited by motomaverick : 25th March 2013 at 09:09.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 11:27   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post

1) Cost involved.

1. 18,000 Including installation

2. Its not that easy for a DIY, but its better to remove the box and then take it for a service. We were told its very easy to remove and refit incase we have a major service coming up.
Yes Vehicle is under a year old done only 14,000KM
when we went to ford @SS to put synthetic oil they mentioned in the invoice that customer bought the oil, ford will not be responsible for any engine related warranty.
they didnt seem to bother much about the Chip.
But the chip can be easily seen when you pop the hood open. Sits next to the battery.

3. Yes it can be shifted on the fly, This is done by pressing the mode you want 2 times.
From what we were told running it on P1 mode 100% of the time is very safe. But they told us not to use P2 mode all the time.

4. We haven't tried running much on E mode. The car becomes way to sluggish and slow. Worse than a petrol figo
But on the highway running on E mode theoretically should give you great F.E
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 10:49   #127
Senior - BHPian

Racing chip website.. legit?

Came across this site http://www.asmpl.com/ when I was looking for a chip for my Fiesta 1.4 TDCi. Looked ok, they mentioned the chips are from Germany in email correspondence.

But when surfing came across an ex employee of theirs claiming they bought only Chinese quentionable parts etc.

Anyone bought from them before?
Old 26th March 2013, 11:58   #128
BHPian

Re: Racing chip website.. legit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Came across this site http://www.asmpl.com/ when I was looking for a chip for my Fiesta 1.4 TDCi. Looked ok, they mentioned the chips are from Germany in email correspondence.

But when surfing came across an ex employee of theirs claiming they bought only Chinese quentionable parts etc.

Anyone bought from them before?
Hatari,

I have bought the same chip directly from the Race chip website. Not sure of the above mentioned website. Why dont you just buy it from http://www.racechip.de
Old 26th March 2013, 12:44   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svdath View Post
Hatari,

I have bought the same chip directly from the Race chip website. Not sure of the above mentioned website. Why dont you just buy it from http://www.racechip.de
Hi svdath,

i have been pondering on the idea of getting something like this for my laura TSI. I have thought of a remap also but the problem is that with a remap i won't have the flexibility of disabling it.

with something like this i can put it on or take it out whenever i want. Am I right?

can you expand a little on your experience with this chip (in terms of performance improvement, buying experience etc) and also which car you applied it to?

thanks
varun
Old 26th March 2013, 14:55   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsonu View Post
Hi svdath,

i have been pondering on the idea of getting something like this for my laura TSI. I have thought of a remap also but the problem is that with a remap i won't have the flexibility of disabling it.

with something like this i can put it on or take it out whenever i want. Am I right?

can you expand a little on your experience with this chip (in terms of performance improvement, buying experience etc) and also which car you applied it to?

thanks
varun
The chip is really good. You get the feel of the free flow revving engine. I bought the one where you can tune the settings and mostly i tune it for low end drivability. The lag has reduced considerably and mileage has improved by around 15% in city limits. I used to drive the car mainly within city and hence do not have much highway exposure with chip in place.

The buying experience was good. No hassles. Had to pay customs duty of around 2500Rs when it came to India.I had main shipped through DHL.

Other options you have is to go with RD's collection. I have had real good experience working with them as well.
Old 26th March 2013, 16:49   #131
BHPian

Quote:
The chip is really good. You get the feel of the free flow revving engine. I bought the one where you can tune the settings and mostly i tune it for low end drivability. The lag has reduced considerably and mileage has improved by around 15% in city limits. I used to drive the car mainly within city and hence do not have much highway exposure with chip in place.

The buying experience was good. No hassles. Had to pay customs duty of around 2500Rs when it came to India.I had main shipped through DHL.

Other options you have is to go with RD's collection. I have had real good experience working with them as well.
I see 3 options for the Figo 1.4 TDCi engine, RaceChip, RaceChip Pro2 & RaceChip CR Ultimate.

RaceChip Figo 1.4TDCi

Though the performance figures are not too different, the cost is very different.
By any chance you know the reason for such a different price.
1. How did you get your RaceChip installed? Is it DIY friendly?
2. Is the duties common for all models or a percentage of cost of the item being purchased?
Old 27th March 2013, 09:49   #132
BHPian

When i purchased , there were only 2 options, RaceChip and RaceChip Pro. I had bought the RaceChip Pro as it gives you ability to adjust the parameters based on your driving style.
The chip is very DIY friendly. its a plug-n-play kind of thingy. I am guessing the duties might not bee too different for each of these but will vary since the price for each one is different and the duty is a percentage of price.
Old 27th March 2013, 15:34   #133

I also picked up the RaceCHip when I was in Amsterdam Totally worth it Brings the car to life and definitely feels more powerful Its not a DIY as the connector is very challenging to plugin I used a mechanic who managed it after a fair degree of struggle.

The FASS has not picked the dummy when i have switched the chip despite going to them around 6-7 times.
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:09   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more option for Ford tuning boxes is EngineCal. I have watched them work on Figo's and also have personal experience of getting my Spark Performance tuned by them. They mainly specialize in Diesel tuning while they also performance tune petrol cars. Their box (MECU) is highly customizable and EngineCal guys customize it for you based on your driving style. So you can get the most out of the box in the RPM band in which you drive the most. And since these guys are ex-OEM employees they know how much to push the safety envelope without hurting the internals of the engine and other components. Reliability with more power! Ford TDCi guys can try them out as an alternative to the plethora of online/other tuners!
Old 20th April 2013, 16:04   #135
BHPian

Hi People,

I have newly joined teambhp and I have been following this thread for a long time now, looking for updates and the best tuning option for our Fiesta 1.4 tdci. I live in Bangalore and my search for the best tuners took me to the Tune-O-Tronics. Initially I had decided to go for a Race Dynamics Dieseltronic box but then I found that a good remap is always a better option for a car. The complete process of remap took an hour and a half including test drives on the O.R.R. Now the car feels a lot better and I can rev it easily till 3500 rpm. What I have discovered in my last 600 kms after remap is that I can either drive it around 2000 to 2300 rpm to get maximum mileage or push it above 2200rpm to get the power boost when in mood for some action

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks