Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:20   #106
BHPian

Re: Ford 1.4 TDCi Tuning Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster View Post
I had been trying for months for someone to post some details of a tuning box installation on their fiesta tdci. but to no avail. I even spoke to reps from Petes, RD and another company in Chennai and the rates quoted by them for the tuning boxes were insane.

In the meantime, I had been eyeing the tuning boxes that were listed in the ebay UK website and spoke to 2 of the sellers. Was convinced about one of them and even though this was more expensive at GBP89 compared to the other one at GBP64, I ordered for it.

Will add more details in a few days about the drive and also the FE.
Hi Speedmunster,
Glad you got the tuning box. I am thinking on the same line as our Fiesta crossed ~12k on odometer and would be nice to have some more juice for highway driving.

Care to share the driving characteristics, FE and especially top end performance ? having had it for more than a month now. thanks in advance
Old 23rd February 2013, 16:42   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
Hi Speedmunster,
Glad you got the tuning box. I am thinking on the same line as our Fiesta crossed ~12k on odometer and would be nice to have some more juice for highway driving.

Care to share the driving characteristics, FE and especially top end performance ? having had it for more than a month now. thanks in advance
Sorry for not updating the thread earlier.
There are 2 things that have improved
1) The engine runs very smooth now. After the engine reaches its optimum temperature you would be hard pressed to say its a diesel.
2) There was a lack of grunt in second gear in the lover RPMs which seems to have gotten better with the tuning box.

One thing that I need to mention is that I am yet to run the tuning box at its maximum setting and at that setting, the equation might be totally different. For anyone looking for a cheap and good quality tuning box, I would highly recommend the Bluespark box.

More updates to come.
Old 23rd February 2013, 18:51   #108
BHPian

Quote:
One thing that I need to mention is that I am yet to run the tuning box at its maximum setting and at that setting, the equation might be totally different. For anyone looking for a cheap and good quality tuning box, I would highly recommend the Bluespark box.

More updates to come.
Good to hear that the noise is reduced. Thanks for the update.

So, how many settings in total?

Would be more interested on the top speed though.

Awaiting further updates

Last edited by ganesc : 23rd February 2013 at 18:52.
Old 23rd February 2013, 19:46   #109
Senior - BHPian

Review : Remapped Ford Fiesta Classic 1.4 TDCi

Tuner : Kiirus
Remapped Values : Power 88 Bhp Torque 200 Nm
Price of remap : Rs. 22000

Car : Ford Fiesta Classic 1.4 TDCi with 2000+ Kms clocked after remap. ODO at 21K+.

The reason to pick this car was sheer VFM it had but only disappointment was the sluggish 68 Bhp engine. My other car being VW Vento 1.6 TDi always left a big grin after driving her on E-Ways but Fiesta Classic was nothing though her handling was very good given it had HPS.

Then heard of auto tuning which remaps the ECU and helps in increasing the power & torque figures. That triggered the search for tuners who were good at their work. Search on Google always had Kiirus as top runner and heard very good views about them.

Contacted Kiirus and they had a remap for 1.4 TDCi and price charged was very economical compared to what other tuners charge.

So after clocking 2000+ Kms on the car, I can surely say remapping has made a world of a difference. The clatter is reduced comparatively. Car pulls all the way till redline without running out of breadth. She now does nearly ~65+ kmph in second gear, so you all can think what other gears belt out.

Earlier car had a rubber band effect when you took your foot of the accelerator and again floored it, which now is all gone. Car has enough torque to pull from at any rpm and easily redlines.

Top speed is always one thing everyone has in mind, so did I. Well on an empty E-Way road, was able to hit in excess of 165+, but still had enough grunt to push ahead 170+ but better sense prevailed.

Positives:
  • Reduced Clatter.
  • No more rubber band effect.
  • Torque spread out all thoughout the rpm.
  • No more problems during overtaking due to increased power & torque.
  • Got car serviced at 20,000 Kms and no issues reported by Ford Workshop. No warranty issues.
  • Lastly FE has increased by 1.5 Kmpl in Mumbai city running. Wow, more power & more mileage.

Negatives:
  • None.

Currently the car is under tyred & need to upsize the tires to 195 60 R14 to make the driving dynamics even better with increased tire patch to complement the power.

Thanks a lot to Abhishek from Kiirus for the wonderful tuning that he has done and I certainly cannot drive a stock 1.4 TDCi any longer after the remap.

I would advice all the 1.4 TDCi owners to get their car remapped and it would make a world of a difference in cars dynamics and you will all again fall in love with the car.

Now Fiesta Classic TDCi feels better than Vento TDi. Need to get Vento TDi remapped by Kiirus sometime later.

Let me know if you all have any question. Till then. Cheers.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 19:58   #110
Senior - BHPian

@el lobo 6061---thanks for the detailed feedback. Does Kiirus have an outlet in Hyderabad? I googled for it and it seems to be located in Navi Mumbai only.
Old 23rd February 2013, 23:30   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Review : Remapped Ford Fiesta Classic 1.4 TDCi

Now Fiesta Classic TDCi feels better than Vento TDi.
This one sentence caught my eye mate. I have always loved the Vento TDI and currently drive a Classic TDCI. Clear and crisp review of the remap there. Looks like i know where i'm going to be spending next.

What is the current profile of your tires?

Last edited by ishotmydog : 23rd February 2013 at 23:32.
Old 23rd February 2013, 23:53   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Does Kiirus have an outlet in Hyderabad? I googled for it and it seems to be located in Navi Mumbai only.
Yes, Kiirus are based in Navi Mumbai but they do keep touring to other cities all over India for car tuning. Get in touch with Abhishek and he will guide you through. His number is 9594060920.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishotmydog View Post
This one sentence caught my eye mate. I have always loved the Vento TDI and currently drive a Classic TDCI. Clear and crisp review of the remap there. Looks like i know where i'm going to be spending next.

What is the current profile of your tires?
Classic TDCi is a well worth car and after remap she surely gives Vento TDi run for its money, but once Vento gets remapped that would transform it with power figures rated at 128 Bhp & 320 Nm torque.

Current tyres are stock at 175 65 R14 MRF. Should be changing them once I reach 40K on odo to Michelin XM2 195 60 R14 or even better 195 55 R15.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2013, 00:05   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Classic TDCi is a well worth car and after remap she surely gives Vento TDi run for its money, but once Vento gets remapped that would transform it with power figures rated at 128 Bhp & 320 Nm torque.

Current tyres are stock at 175 65 R14 MRF. Should be changing them once I reach 40K on odo to Michelin XM2 195 60 R14 or even better 195 55 R15.
Can't even imagine how he vento would feel like after the remap, pure bliss i'm sure. But i cant wait to get a remap on my Fiesta

How do you find the ride on your stock tires?
Old 24th February 2013, 00:31   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishotmydog View Post
How do you find the ride on your stock tires?
Nothing much to complain. The ride is plush & comfortable compared to Vento as it has slightly harder suspension setup. But on highways Vento suspension is far far better than Fiesta Classic.

Its only during hard acceleration, I find torque steer in Fiesta Classic given the increase in torque after remap and 175 patch is quite under tyred. Once upsized to 195, that should take care of torque steer.
Old 24th February 2013, 13:58   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing much to complain. The ride is plush & comfortable compared to Vento as it has slightly harder suspension setup. But on highways Vento suspension is far far better than Fiesta Classic.

Its only during hard acceleration, I find torque steer in Fiesta Classic given the increase in torque after remap and 175 patch is quite under tyred. Once upsized to 195, that should take care of torque steer.
I'm more of a petrolhead, so terms like 'torque steer' are not clear to me. Can you please elaborate?

And when you say the suspension on the Vento is better on the highways, do you mean it handles better, or is the ride more compliant? I'm curious because I recently sat in my cousin's new Vento, and found the ride very hard in city driving, leading me to believe he'd over-inflated the tyres, though he hadn't.

As regards tyres upsize, may I suggest XM2s with 185/65/14 profile? I've gone for this on the new Figo and found it to be very good---better than my Fiesta that runs on stock MRFs. Even the GC has increased a wee bit.

If you go for 195 profiles, I'm afraid you might scrape the wheel walls during U turns.
Old 24th February 2013, 15:57   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm more of a petrolhead, so terms like 'torque steer' are not clear to me. Can you please elaborate?
The car moves sideways while accelerating hard because of HUGE torque.

Quote:
Torque steering is the influence of engine torque on the steering, especially in front-wheel drive vehicles. For example, during heavy acceleration the steering may pull to one side, which may be disturbing to the driver. The effect is manifested either as a tugging sensation in the steering wheel, or a veering of the vehicle from the intended path.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_steering

Adding demo videos.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th February 2013 at 16:00.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 23:36   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And when you say the suspension on the Vento is better on the highways, do you mean it handles better, or is the ride more compliant? I'm curious because I recently sat in my cousin's new Vento, and found the ride very hard in city driving, leading me to believe he'd over-inflated the tyres, though he hadn't.
Vento's ride is surely on the harder side in comparison to Fiesta Classic. But it's on highways Vento shows its true color, since the harder suspension aids in handling and cornering faster. Due to which there is lesser body roll.

Fiesta Classic may feel better after remap but it certainly cannot match the plushness of Vento's suspension on highways.

Quote:
As regards tyres upsize, may I suggest XM2s with 185/65/14 profile? I've gone for this on the new Figo and found it to be very good---better than my Fiesta that runs on stock MRFs. Even the GC has increased a wee bit.

If you go for 195 profiles, I'm afraid you might scrape the wheel walls during U turns.
But the Fiesta S came shod with 195 55 R15 which complete the car's look & handling. If whenever I did upgrade will ask the tyre guy to put up 185 65 R14 & 195 60 R14 tyres on two different rims on car and compare them, to see if 195 really be bulging out. If yes will then go with 185 65 R14 as suggested by you.
Old 21st March 2013, 17:55   #118
BHPian

Guys, now its my turn to turn to remap/tuning box. I own a Fiesta Classsic 1.4 TDCi and clocked 25000kms. Coming over from a Swift diesel, the power and torque has always been an issue for me. I felt lesser refinement, much much lower power feel, regular downshift and LESSER MILEAGE as well.

I am in Bangalore. So I would appreciate if you help me with some dealers. I am in talks with Petes and RedRooster.

PS: I am travelling to US next week and have come across this Powerbox Amazon product - Please advice if I should buy this for 8k INR.
Old 21st March 2013, 18:03   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Guys, now its my turn to turn to remap/tuning box. I own a Fiesta Classsic 1.4 TDCi and clocked 25000kms. Coming over from a Swift diesel, the power and torque has always been an issue for me. I felt lesser refinement, much much lower power feel, regular downshift and LESSER MILEAGE as well.

I am in Bangalore. So I would appreciate if you help me with some dealers. I am in talks with Petes and RedRooster.
When you have Pete's, Red Rooster and RaceDynamics there is no need to look at getting a box from the US. The Indian boxes are expensive but are designed keeping in mind our traffic conditions, dusty conditions and they have been tested on the cars in India which means in the Indian state of tune.

I would not suggest importing a box.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 18:34   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post

PS: I am travelling to US next week and have come across this Powerbox Amazon product - Please advice if I should buy this for 8k INR.
Sam,

I recently read up about Kryptonite's remapped Skoda Rapid. He seems to have tried two tuning boxes and finally settled for remapping the ECU than use a separate tuning box.

You should probably check it out before you decide.
naut is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks