Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2010, 12:18   #61
BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
I think Polo was the one which got praise for fit and finish and plastics
I had earlier posted in a thread which is now deleted, about the quality of Polo plastics being only slightly better than Figo's.In the hatchback segment it's only i10 & i20 that offer top notch plastics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Here is how it is on my Figo. The color Changed from black to this whitish texture within 2 months.
Most of the Figos i see in Chennai have this problem. Even the dash board changes colour if driven around with open windows.
A polish will bring back the original colour i guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Lighting conditions may be different.
If you have some spare time, for the benfit of future Polo buyers can you please post a pic of the black panels taken in direct sunlight rather under a shaded area like covered car park?

Another reason why Greenday's Polo plastics looks more white is because his car colour is black. If it had been white or Red Polo it would have been less apparent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDay View Post
My dad' old car-Maruti Alto 2004 model never had issue with bangy water. The bumper plastics, door handles and plastics near wiper was jet black even when we sold it last month.
Even the Honda Activa which is top notch in terms in quality goofed up on the black plastics. Most of the activas have whitened plastic parts wheras local brands like Tvs and Hero Honda have no such problem.

Last edited by Daewood : 16th December 2010 at 12:37.
Old 16th December 2010, 12:24   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I am not convinced. The car is either badly maintained or has some specific quality issues. To me it looks more like a damage from a harsh chemical or detergent. My Polo is 6.5 months old and plastics are shining as new.So please don't jump in to conclusions and blame the manufacturer.
The wiper issue has been discussed umpteen times on the forum and has mechanism to move it to service position
I think I am going to agree with Poloman here. Possibly the cloth being used is also used with some other cleaning agents to clean other things? I have a suggestion and this is how my cars are cleaned: Put a roll of Chamois into the car and have your cleaner ONLY use that and nothing else. Wash the cloth yourself every week with mild soap. However I will definitely say that I was shocked to see the state of the rubber beading. How old is your car? Where is it normaly parked?
Old 16th December 2010, 13:20   #63
Senior - BHPian

Now we know how they are able to price the car so low. It's really sad to see that manufacturers compromising on parts which cost the least in manufacturing. Compromising on quality plastics and rubber is not going to do any good especially when such parts are most visible.
Few days back I saw an autorickshaw bumped into a white Polo hitting the front bumper while it scraped the paint but I was to see the bumper falling off the ground as though it was stuck with some adhesive. The polo guy probably assumed nothing happened but it was the falling of bumper that caught everyones attention and that's when he realised something majorly has gone wrong. Never seen anything like that before in anyother car where the bumper has fallen with minor scratch.
I have a fabia 2008 model. I remember a year and half back I was crossing the junction when a biker came from the right lane and hit my front bumper with the speed of atleast 60, the bike stuck right there below the front bumper, It had a cut in the bumper right below the foglamp but the bumper din't go loose even a wee bit. Sitting inside the car I thought my foglamp, lower gril and bumper must lying on the ground, with the condenser and radiator blown away, but it wasn't.

I expected better quality off the VW compared to the Skoda. But seeing the pictures I doubt the rest of the rubber and plastic parts are going to last forever.

Last edited by Invinsible : 16th December 2010 at 13:27.
Old 16th December 2010, 13:23   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
If you have some spare time, for the benfit of future Polo buyers can you please post a pic of the black panels taken in direct sunlight rather under a shaded area like covered car park?
Here you go. The picture is cropped a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Few days back I saw an autorickshaw bumped into a white Polo hitting the front bumper while it scraped the paint but I was to see the bumper falling off the ground as though it was stuck with some adhesive. The polo guy probably assumed nothing happened but it was the falling of bumper that caught everyones attention and that's when he realised something majorly has gone wrong. Never seen anything like that before in anyother car where the bumper has fallen with minor scratch
Nothing surprising here. All modern cars come with high level pedestrian protection standards.Please don't turn the thread to a Polo bashing one with out adequate information.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!-polo123.jpg  

Last edited by poloman : 16th December 2010 at 13:33.
Old 16th December 2010, 14:25   #65
BHPian

@GreenDay: Try some good polish available in the market. Even if you are washing the with Amway or 3M products, the water quality is a deciding factor. Regarding your car's door beading, you can raise it as a complaint. You said there were swirls on body, as per my observation swirls will arise only if you wash your car with soiled cloths or materials. Don't get dejected that you made a decision to buy POLO, in the long run you will realize that you have taken a good decision.
Old 16th December 2010, 15:12   #66
BHPian

Through my friend who owns a Jetta, I got the number of Service Advisor. I spoke to him and told him about the minor issues. He noted the issues and said he will call back.

After an hour he calls back. His reply for white plastics is "Saar, don't wash car daily, instead do 'dry clean' daily and wash with water only once a week". I had no words for the reply.. For the rubber beading tear issue, he says, "Saar, close the door slowly just like the 'refrigerator door'. Then beadings will last for long". I was like..

Anyways, such issues cannot be solved over phone. I will visit the A.S.S and see what happens.
Old 16th December 2010, 16:15   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
Greenday please make sure is that really a Car from VW? or modified TATA car?
Tata owners may take offence. TATAs of today are not bad.
Old 16th December 2010, 16:20   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
And what is wrong with TATA? Come on mate!!
+1 to that. There is nothing wrong with TATA. We indians have an age old tendency to praise things that is foreign made and abuse indian stuff.

I checked with my friends Polo which is some 5 months old and saw no such issues. This car is parked outside all the time and is hardly washed
Old 16th December 2010, 16:30   #69
Senior - BHPian

This thread is going way off topic. Instead of finding solutions, why are we criticizing the manufacturers? Be it Tata, Maruti, VW or even BMW, no one would put plastics that turn white so early! I hope VW workshop acknowledges the problem and provides the replacement whatever be the cause.

P.S: I have shared the link of this thread to the VW India facebook page. They'll hopefully look into the matter.

Last edited by theragingbull : 16th December 2010 at 16:32.
Old 16th December 2010, 16:32   #70
BHPian

My 2 cents

First and foremost, like somebody said on this forum, this is a German technology manufactured in our Des, in Chakan! I am not criticizing this fact, but infact happy that we are privileged, to get all these manufacturers come to India and sell their cars.

It definitely is the washing of the car, I am not going into the detergent / 3M / Water salt levels etc etc, but the point I want to make here is, that the car washing guy must not be drying the entire water from the plastic areas of the car after washing, as a result of that if it is allowed to dry on its own on those areas, then the water would evaporate leaving behind the impurities / salts in the water, which every place has, be it Bangalore, Delhi or Hyderabad!

So the main issue here might not be the detergent or water used for washing, but maybe the way it is being washed. Why your Alto never experienced this, maybe because the Alto plastics are a lot shiny, that gives less ground for water and impurities to stick around and stay there for long.

I also experienced the same issue with my Swift, and when I changed the car wash guy and gave him a little training it eventually went off.....
Old 16th December 2010, 16:33   #71
Senior - BHPian

@Greenday, I am shocked to see this in a VW Polo! I always thought they tried to maintain a standard with the quality of parts they had used in their cars. Looks like they have taken the cost cutting route like the others, nothing German here!

I hope you have forwarded the pictures to VW Customer care. Please let the company follow up on this with the dealer for you.

Remember the 84,000/- loss per Polo manufactured by VW crap published by VW ACI . I think they are working towards recovering the losses!
Old 16th December 2010, 16:34   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
and is hardly washed
Black plastic losing the shine is because of hardwater in Bangalore. Most of the apartments here in blr get water supplied by water tankers, which are originally pumped up from 800+++ feet borewells.
Use vinegar and wipe clean the black parts well. wash thoroughly and wipe. Apply plastic/dashboard polish. It helped my Santro's bumper etc.

I found, those polish sprays they sell in petrolbunks work better!. forgot the name, yellow or blue colored bottle, sold by agents showing demo to all customers, keeping the stock in a small temp counter in petrolbunks (Rs520/- per kit). Hope you are able to understand me on this.

Rubber beading snaps by OP is a different issue I guess and needs more investigation to prevent such damage again after the replacement.

Last edited by shyamhegde : 16th December 2010 at 16:36. Reason: typo...
Old 16th December 2010, 16:38   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
Black plastic losing the shine is because of hardwater in Bangalore. Most of the apartments here in blr get water supplied by water tankers, which are originally pumped up from 800+++ feet borewells.
Use vinegar and wipe clean the black parts well. wash thoroughly and wipe. Apply plastic/dashboard polish. It helped my Santro's bumper etc.

I found, those polish sprays they sell in petrolbunks work better!. forgot the name, yellow or blue colored bottle, sold by agents showing demo to all customers, keeping the stock in a small temp counter in petrolbunks (Rs520/- per kit). Hope you are able to understand me on this.

Rubber beading snaps by OP is a different issue I guess and needs more investigation to prevent such damage again after the replacement.
I agree with you on this Shyam. This is purely a water issue on the plastic, and different localities might have different level of hardness in water, so if I am not getting this problem in Bangalore, then it might be wrong to generalize it to the entire city and vice versa
Old 16th December 2010, 16:43   #74
Senior - BHPian

^^ Some issue with Bangalore water that I have failed to see in the past 6 years of my car ownership while I was in Bangalore? Wierd!
Old 16th December 2010, 17:04   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
@Greenday, I am shocked to see this in a VW Polo! I always thought they tried to maintain a standard with the quality of parts they had used in their cars. Looks like they have taken the cost cutting route like the others, nothing German here!
Every carmaker who enters India tries to pitch their small car against Maruti and to do that, the only way is cutting costs on components they think is not that important to Indians.
Nowhere in the world VW sells a Polo for $9000.
Only Hyundai has tried a different route and has succeeded to a large extent.

Most Viewed