Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2010, 18:18   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Well lets not compare it to other cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
... The reason i mention swift is because i own one, and i have had rusting issues on all four doors from 3rd year and yesterday i noticed some parts within the engine bay gathering rust.

But do i talk about it? Hell no. ...
Wish you would. I have trouble with rust on a 3-yr-old Swift. All of us with these problems can help each other out by sharing experience.

Hmmm... Team BHP is just as much about the imperfections as the good bits. I don't think anyone should ever be discouraged from posting them. How VW is reacting to customer problems and complaints now is a vital thing for all potential buyers to hear about.
Old 18th December 2010, 19:22   #122
BHPian

Re: Update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDay View Post
UPDATE:

After a wait of over four hours at A.S.S, I was finally attended.

Problem 1: Rubber Beading tear issue.
They accepted the issue and termed it as 'Rare case'. They have assured for replacement under warranty. Part has been ordered.
Good to know that you`ll get replacement.

Quote:
UPDATE:
Problem 2: White Plastics.
They offered for a body wash(Borewell water I assume ) and then complete body polish and polish of all plastic parts.
Even I could get this done for 1000bucks but I wanted to know the reason for 'whitening'. They felt the issue is 'common' among many VW cars and were very casual about it.
I had no patience to wait for few more hours for them to wash and polish my car. So left the place.
A "common" issue cannot be a "non-issue", instead customer need faster resolution - Please note VW

Better to buy some good product from market (there are lots of good threads already available in Team-BHP) and apply it regularly, plastics will be shining as good as new car.

Quote:
UPDATE:
Potential VW buyer: NO CAR IS PERFECT. Like a car? Your heart loves it? THEN GO BUY IT! All cars have NIGGLES. So chill.
+1, enjoy the car whichever make/model it may be and do not compare with other cars
Old 20th December 2010, 02:11   #123
BHPian

Re: Well lets not compare it to other cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Wish you would. I have trouble with rust on a 3-yr-old Swift. All of us with these problems can help each other out by sharing experience.

Hmmm... Team BHP is just as much about the imperfections as the good bits. I don't think anyone should ever be discouraged from posting them. How VW is reacting to customer problems and complaints now is a vital thing for all potential buyers to hear about.
I totally agree.

My point was to highlight the fact that most of the cars have imperfections, for some of us our cars tend to be so close to our heart that we don't disclose. Hence it is unfair to compare the cars / brands. But how the certain brand respond to their complaints sets them apart.

As far as the rust is concerned, I've made numerous phone calls and tried talking to various people. I intend to make a formal complaint through to the HQ at Gurgaon, will keep the site posted on the progress i make.
Old 20th December 2010, 11:53   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: VW Polo - Bad plastics and rubber quality - German just by name??!

I think we can expect a new car to be perfect, but, on those occasions when it is not, then yes, it is how the situation is handled that matters.

Hoping to see your future posts about your Swift.
Old 20th December 2010, 12:14   #125
BHPian

It is good that this did not happen on a Vista or an Aria, or we would all have been blaming TATA for the poor quality and issues.

On a more serious note, this has happened with a friend who got his Polo 2 months ago. He wrote to VW India and they have taken care of it for him. Try that route.
Old 20th December 2010, 13:39   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quite dissapointing to see this. I thought it could be a one of case with your dads car, but seeing that few others have also observed it, it is very dissapointing

After paying a premium, the least one would expect is to have good quality.

Infact i thought it did, atleast the interiors are supposed to be of very good quality, as many magazines have raved about.
Old 20th December 2010, 15:31   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I am not convinced. The car is either badly maintained or has some specific quality issues. To me it looks more like a damage from a harsh chemical or detergent. My Polo is 6.5 months old and plastics are shining as new.So please don't jump in to conclusions and blame the manufacturer.
The wiper issue has been discussed umpteen times on the forum and has mechanism to move it to service position
This is 100% the detergent used by your person to wash the car! Seems like VIM bar's or powder detergent is being used on this lovely Polo. Your car paint is like skin treat it right! Its not our Bangi water or the hard water. You can still restore the plastic shine by using any good Vinyl polish available even at your nearest shell gas station. VW will not sell anything that is cheap or low quality! I have a VW golf 1985 Tdi and even the steering wheel rubber is in usable condition, so are the plastics and the rubber beeding on the doosr! Now that's German my friend! I can go on raving about them German cars cause those are all I have/Own or will ever own! golf, merc, Fabia, and now and Audi q7 all built to last longer than one can EVER imagine
Old 20th December 2010, 16:25   #128
BHPian

Bhpbreather Greenday has mentioned in post no 18 that he is using only amway carwash or 3 M.
Most probably QC issues due to sheer volumes. Such promlems are now common across all high volume segments and manufacturers.
Old 20th December 2010, 17:07   #129
BHPian

Not sure if this is wash or plastic issue, as I have seen similar issue in two cars parked in our office parking. Both are base models. Not sure if they changed something on higher end.
Old 20th December 2010, 18:31   #130
BHPian

Hi Greenday,
My 2 cents here. Looking at plastics it appears that something called as bleaching happened here. That is reaction of chlorine with plastic. Now how come chlorine come into picture here -- Simple. Check the ground water and see if it has got high contents of Chlorine by a lab.Take a sip and its taste shall let you know how it is. The ground water keeps moving inside and is many times polluted by industries that throw their sludge underground for well known reasons. Also the plastics of European cars are bit delicate as compared to Indian ones,made just to give them a dark feel.
So your car's soft plastics are affected by 2 things- high chlorine in water and UV rays that acted as catalyst in making them white. Not sure if 3M can that you are using might have accelerated the matter. To check the same use the same car wash chemical on any black plastic you have inside the house that is similar to plastic of the car and wash it the way your car is washed for few days,you might get the answer.

Use drinking water for a final wipe on the car once it is washed- that would help prevent further damage
If chlorine content in water is ok and other plastic part does not get faded then you know whom you have to blast.

Last edited by Anandg : 20th December 2010 at 18:49.
Old 20th December 2010, 20:41   #131
Senior - BHPian

While travelling last month I bumped into a couple of VW guys on a flight. Of course I only realised that after speaking for a bit about cars. According to them, as the average Indian car buyer is not willing to pay a higher price for German quality products, they expect to localise more parts of the Polo and the Vento. I have posted this on another thread (maybe the official review). Considering the quality of parts now, this may actually be a good thing. though VW definitely has to get some decent QA in place along with a redressal forum if they want to keep up their premium branding!
Old 21st December 2010, 06:09   #132

Sorry dude your car looks in a bad shape. My polo is now 5 months old and plastic is just fine. More over if you read the manual it would tell you how work your car wipers while cleaning. You have to place them in the service position first before you pull them. However get your car to the service station it requires make over is certain areas.
Old 21st December 2010, 17:30   #133
BHPian

I really think it is a manufacturing defect with a few POLOs...VW has good build quality..better than most cars in the segment...I own a polo my self, and iv had no problems with my car, in terms of whiting of plastics etc. and I hope VW will lend a listening ear to the customers and help resolve the problem...fingers crossed!

Its alarming how these problems are getting common day by day with manufactures be it VW, Honda, Toyota, Maruti etc. cost cutting is taking its toll on these guys I guess...

Last edited by TORQUED : 21st December 2010 at 17:33.
Old 21st December 2010, 17:37   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

I think no car is the so called perfect build to satisfy the customer.

I guess in this case it is interesting to know how VW responds to the issue, since this is the cutting edge that differentiates between manufacturers.

Cheers,
Old 21st December 2010, 18:47   #135
Senior - BHPian

VW did have serious quality issues with suppliers that was the main reason for the long delivery period. I think you may have ended up with a car that managed to slip the quality checks and found it's way to you.

This should be taken up with the company management and made clear that this kind of quality is unacceptable to you. And then you need to go forward from there based on their response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
But it is quite unusual for a car of any make to end up in such a situation with in one month of delivery unless some thing drastically goes wrong.Today, half day I was at VW body shop and the place was teaming with Polos. I could not remember seeing any car (including accident cars having got dusted for long) in such bad condition.
Well there is a reason why manufacturers offer warranty at the start of the ownership period. It is because there is a greater possibility of a car having quality issues during the start of it's life and the end. So there is actually a greater possibility of a car failing during the initial period of ownership. On that has given no troubles for a couple of years will generally be reliable as long as the same maintenance standards are followed.

Drive on,
Shibu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks