Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 18:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Zappo, great review, thanks for the attention to detail. I know that looks are a relative matter but I just cannot digest the close resemblance the front bears to the i10! Overall, we were eagerly waiting for this TD & I must confess that I'm a tad disappointed. I had been hoping (against hope) that they had sorted out the handling to a fair extent but it looks like the Achilles heel remains. While its nice to know the safety features in the car, below are some of the stuff that is likely to strike this off the list for me at least -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
• Under-thigh support of the low rear seat not as good as that of competition
Quote:
The climate control system has a range of over 12 degrees of temperature adjustments. However, in the sweltering summer heat of Tamil Nadu, it just about managed to keep us comfortable. At high speeds, the blower can create quite a racket too!

Quote:
The engine has noticeable turbo lag upto 1,800 rpm, after which you see progress. But it's over 2,000 rpm that the motor really comes onto its own.

Dynamically, the Verna is just like most other C segment sedans upto 130 kph. Over that limit, you get the feeling that you are floating. One does not feel very confident to go beyond, as even a small undulation on the road surface causes the new Verna to pitch and roll. Every time I reached 120 - 140, it rocked like a boat at the smallest of unevenness on the road. The twitchy behaviour at high speed is not confidence inspiring & the ride doesn't stay flat either. At this point, the diesel engine wants to go further, but the handling remains a limitation.

However, it is on the twisties that the Verna gets nervous; brake real hard and the tail shows a tendency to step out of line.
So it looks like the Vento TDI is still the segment King as far as driveability is concerned & I hope the New Fiesta will be as good or better!

Last edited by suman : 28th April 2011 at 18:04.
Old 28th April 2011, 18:06   #32
Team-BHP Support

Re: Safety features, Engine, Performance and Braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Is this correct? The 1.4 CRDi in the i20 produces the same BHP / Torque values listed here, and is a VGT unit...
That's as per Hyundai's data during the press launch. No 1.4 car was available for the TD. Come to think of it that will be a major differentiator between the two engines. Remember, both will come with 6 gears.

Last edited by Zappo : 28th April 2011 at 18:12.
Old 28th April 2011, 18:09   #33
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review Zappo (clicked "paanch sitaara option).

If your pricing estimate is correct, this sedan will cause quite a stir in th C segment. The soft suspension, (not so great) performance high speed et'al seems to be built into the Hyundai DNA now. No comments on the steering (or did I miss it)? I am sure it is an EPS which does not provide too much feedback. Could you confirm please?

Also, how about the spare parts? Where does the pricing stand vis a vis competition?

Somehow, all Hyundais that have been launched recently remind me of some other vehichle. Sonata - too much Accord at the rear (first gen I do not think even warrants a comment), i 20 - front 3/4 view has an uncanny resmblance to the Merc A class. And this one? Again, front 3/4 reminds me of the new Ford Fiesta while the rear is Oh So Merc C class.

That said, I love the interiors. Even the faux wood looks nice.

Overall, IMO, it lacks character but that will not deter the masses to flow into the showrooms with the downpayment cheque in their hands, as long as it is priced competitively.

If I was in the market scoping out my next C segmenter, I would definitely wait for the new Fiesta.
Old 28th April 2011, 18:10   #34
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review, Zappo! We were eagerly waiting for it.

Where was the TD done---Chennai? And where did you hit the twisties or ghat roads?

Though the car looks vastly improved in terms of looks, I am a tad disappointed that Hyundai did not address the handling aspect on this new beast.

Turbo lag also spoils city driveability, like in the current Verna and i-20. It could be a spoilsport on ghat roads too, as Overdrive had rated i-20 to be the worst hatchback on the Leh drive only on this account.

We'd also like to know more about steering feel, turning radius, headlight performance, etc.

Regarding steering wheel rattle, I guess the person who posted it was referring to the numerous complaints on the 1-20's steering.
Old 28th April 2011, 18:15   #35
BHPian

Simply amazing pictures. Great attention to small details. Breathtaking photography. The New Verna looks smashing in these pictures. This review will put all car magazines to shame. So the only thing unkown is the price. I am sure Hyundai will price it right. The top end 6 airbags one will be costly but the lower variants will be priced right. A winner for Hyundai it seems - Good looks, good engine, nice interiors, great safety features.

@Zappo - What was the difference in acceleration with AC on and off? Did you feel any major difference? Also you said that you drove this for about 100 kms. Did you happen to calculate the FE
Old 28th April 2011, 18:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Superb review dude. As usual a very detailed review. You have mentioned "not outright performance" for Linea (both the engines). AFAIK Linea T-jet is a decent performer or am i missing something here?

For me this looks little bit like sedan version of Figo, when watched from front. anyone else feels same
Old 28th April 2011, 18:19   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

Where was the TD done---Chennai? And where did you hit the twisties or ghat roads?

We'd also like to know more about steering feel, turning radius, headlight performance, etc.

Regarding steering wheel rattle, I guess the person who posted it was referring to the numerous complaints on the 1-20's steering.
It was a press drive event and the run was from Coimbatore to Kodaikanal and back. The entire Palani ghat stretch is all about twisties.

Steering feels par for the course. I did not find it vague or disconnected at any point in time. At high speeds, more than the steering it was the lurching that bothered me. The headlights though in my opinion could do with some bolstering.

Even if the steering rattle issues have to show up I am sure that will not happen in new cars. No one will plonk a million bucks to buy such a car. The two cars that I drove were brand new with very few 100 kms on the ODO so there were no rattlings coming out of anywhere.

Last edited by Zappo : 28th April 2011 at 18:21.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 18:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was a press drive event and the run was from Coimbatore to Kodaikanal and back. The entire Palani ghat stretch is all about twisties.

Steering feels par for the course. I did not find it vague or disconnected at any point in time. At high speeds, more than the steering it was the lurching that bothered me. The headlights though in my opinion could do with some bolstering.

Even if the steering rattle issues have to show up I am sure that will not happen in new cars. No one will plonk a million bucks to buy such a car. The two cars that I drove were brand new with very few 100 kms on the ODO so there were no rattlings coming out of anywhere.
Thanks for the immediate response and the superb review. Rated 5 stars!
Old 28th April 2011, 18:29   #39
BHPian

Zappo, did you get to drive the 1.4 diesel version? Any idea about the safety features in the 1.4 diesel ???

Last edited by powertrain : 28th April 2011 at 18:32.
Old 28th April 2011, 18:57   #40
BHPian

Thanks! Crisp review. No rear AC vent/ducts? Is it comfortable to drive with the left hand on the armrest and change gears with it? Also, the dash appears curved. Will it be a problem for six footers?
I have an intuition that the petrol SX (o) might be 9-9.25 OTR. This car surely is a Jack of all trades and looks nice too!
PS- When can we expect the Fiesta review?
Old 28th April 2011, 19:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

Any review / pics of the cheaper 1.4s? I really want to see how the base variants are like.
Old 28th April 2011, 19:16   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review Zappo! Is this your first?

As a former Accent owner I was hoping against hope Hyundai had taken care of the boatiness at high speeds. That was a major grouse against that car, along with the too-soft supension and low GC. Sad that most of these issues still plague the new Verna.

But on the plus side, they seem to have got everything else right. The 1.6 6-speed diesel must be a kicker to drive. Pity about the diesel AT being only 4-speed: that is a totally untapped market right now with the only options being the Skoda Laura and Chevy Cruze both at 15 lac+.

Still it would be great to watch this baby battle VW and Honda for top spot in the C+ segment. Can't wait for Ford to join the party!
Old 28th April 2011, 19:22   #43
BHPian

Great Review. I don't care much about the handling part as I don't drive it over 120 kmph and its giving what I wanted - great ride below 100 kmph.

However, I'm disappointed with the rear leg room and low seating. This may be a deal breaker for me as most of my long drives involve 4-5 people. I have to check it out in real to get a feel for that. Otherwise, its well packaged car and can not resist to buy one if its priced right.

On the looks, I feel that it has striking resemblance to all new Ford Fiesta from the side. Anyone else think so too?
Old 28th April 2011, 19:37   #44
Team-BHP Support

The seating position, the seat height or the rear leg space may not necessarily be a deal breaker for all. I suggest you check it on your own. I think with an average person in the front seat (say 5'10") and the rear seat also holding a person of almost the same height the leg space may not always be a problem. If you look at the pic closely, the front seat has been pushed back to the extreme to check how much space it leaves for the back row. That kind of a setting for the front row may not happen in 9 out of 10 cases, IMO.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 19:44   #45
BHPian

Probably the most awaited review in recent times, and an excellent one to match the expectation. Thanks Zappo !

I thought that a soft suspension is a design constraint linked to torsional rigidity of the chassis. Considering nowadays that with each new generation of cars, the rigidity is increasing due to the usage of high strength steel, I do not understand why Hyundai can't add stiffer springs, atleast for India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks