Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2011, 09:17   #121
BHPian

re: Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I wouldn't spend anything above 6.5L on a Suzuki small car for sure (Diesel,CNG,water or whatever). If I have to spend 7.7 L and still buy a small car I would first look at the Punto 90BHP or maybe even spend more and buy the I20 crdi .At 8 Lakhs ,my choice would anytime be a Jazz from now onwards if its a new car that I have to buy .
You can get a Maruti Suzuki Swift DZire for under a lakh more. The DZire eCS would reduce that gap further making it an attractive option if the price seems unjustified for a hatch.
Old 28th September 2011, 09:32   #122
Senior - BHPian

Great review as always, GTO. And appreciate the effort taken to bring this review out. Maybe, reviewing the ZDi would have given more brownie points to the new Swift. But the biggest seller is the VDi and so it was very appropriate to review that variant.

I love the fact that Maruti hasn't fiddled too much with the interior or exterior. I feel the interior theme is just brilliant for a sporty hatch. Also, special mention for the superb instrument cluster and the OE music system.

However, Maruti shouldn't have left out the option of having ABS/ EBD and Brake Booster by default for all the variants. There was a warranty replacement of brake booster for the initial batch of the old Swift Diesels. And considering the fact that, most Swift Diesels cruise at 100KMPH or more on our highways all day long, this is a glaring omission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Superb, superb suspension, tight chassis and w-i-d-e footprint. Drive it to believe it.
+1
When I drove the new Swift on the broken ORR, Bangalore, I was amazed at how well the new one rides over it. Our old LDi would have crashed into each and every pothole. Suzuki has set the suspension just right. But the Indian car sits too tall. That ground clearance of 170mm and 14"/ 15" wheels makes it a bit awkward when viewed from the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
However, as things stand today, the Swift diesel is the most fun-to-drive diesel hatchback there is on sale in India.
I believe ZDi should have been priced about 25K lower for the equipment it has. But that said, both the Z variants still remains brilliant package overall. Highly practical it may not be, but still ticks the right boxes for an enthusiast.

Edit: GTO, any idea why the Euro spec DDiS (rated at 190Nm @ 1750 rpm) was not launched in India? It would been a better trade then compared to the good old hard hitting DDiS. IIRC, that Euro DDiS is made in India. Why didn't MSIL do it?

Last edited by .anshuman : 28th September 2011 at 10:46. Reason: Please limit smiley usage to max 2 per post. Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 09:44   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Chief Competitors of the Maruti Swift

[center]Hyundai i10

[center]Ford Figo

[center]Volkswagen Polo

[center]Toyota Liva

[center]Chevrolet Beat

[center]Nissan Micra

[center]Honda Brio

[center]Fiat Grande Punto
Where is the Skoda Fabia ? It's a pretty competent performer as well and sales have been steady if not spectacular !
Old 28th September 2011, 10:35   #124
Senior - BHPian

As far as I see it, the petrol has been left with no USP at all.
The least Maruti could have done is given it some "poweerrrrrrrrrrrr" feeling , and left the economisery to the diesel.
The 1.2 is a great engine, when viewed in isolation. Ticks the right boxes too. Its just that some of the feeling of the G13 Swift on the move is lost. I get that feeling every time I put my foot down in my car.
I expected the addition of VVT and minor tweaks to resolve this minor lack of "feel good" for the enthusiast. And I am monumentally disappointed that it hasnt and is perhaps half a step backwards instead.
Old 28th September 2011, 10:40   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent Review and it is Very Comprehensive! Thanks to GTO and team!

One of the main disadvantage is the boot space. I think someone who is interested for ZDI but not happy with the boot space should wait for Dzire CS. It might be only 40-50K more than the New Swift because the difference between the New Swift ZDI and Current Dzire ZDI is only 85K(Bangalore on road price).

Also, good to see that JK tyres are dropped.
Old 28th September 2011, 11:18   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Excellent Review and it is Very Comprehensive! Thanks to GTO and team!

One of the main disadvantage is the boot space. I think someone who is interested for ZDI but not happy with the boot space should wait for Dzire CS. It might be only 40-50K more than the New Swift because the difference between the New Swift ZDI and Current Dzire ZDI is only 85K(Bangalore on road price).

Also, good to see that JK tyres are dropped.
IMO most of the ZDI buyers have already stretched their budget to the maximum possible extent. I doubt if people would be ready to shell out another 40-50k for slightly bigger boot. At approximately 8 lacs OTR for a Swift notchback, I don't think it would be a sensible buy. At this price point i20 CRDI( sports variant and higher) would be a better buy as the face-lifted version is due for launch next year and its expected that they would fix the AC and steering issues.
Old 28th September 2011, 11:22   #127
BHPian

Thanks GTO, at last the most awaited review has been published . Nicely constructed and however a Zdi review would have been an added advantage.

Quote:
1.3L Diesel:

To summarize the engine notes, the Swift still has the best application of the Fiat 1.3L diesel engine. On the other hand, I'm going to have to move the 1.2L petrol a position down, due to the timid tuning at the bottom end. I would rank the Hyundai 1.2 Kappa2 as the best petrol engine from the segment, followed by the Swift & the Brio (an equal No.2). The 1.2s from the Beat, Micra, Figo and Punto aren't even close to this trio.
I think MSIL engineers have done a stupendous job with VVT engine. They have followed their advertisement tagline "Kitna Deti Hai?". As everyone in India is more concerned about the FE part, the changes that have been done with petrol / diesel have resulted in better FE and a comfy ride. Kappa2 is an excellent engine but FE is terrible and lacks quality at higher RPMs as compared to VVT.

Quote:

Nifty feature for India : The doors auto-lock once you get moving. And unlock when you remove the key from the ignition. Also, the doors will auto-unlock in case of a major shunt.
Guess this feature was also in the Outgoing swift and Ritz too.

Quote:
Good news : MRF ZVTS tyres are now standard on the Swift. The lousy JK Vectras are a thing of the past.
This is gr8 news, highway driving would not be a problem now.

Quote:
•Even though it’s now a generation older, the Ritz makes a compelling case for itself if someone is looking for practicality. The Ritz has the same engine range, airier interiors, a bigger boot, easier ingress / egress and is cheaper too! But no, it's not as much fun to drive.
I found Ritz driving at par with Old Swift or rather better, also the driver position is little higher and the Ritz gear box was better. For the new version MSIL has increased the driving position but still is lower than Ritz. However, the seating is now much more comfortable and tremendous improvement in Swift gear box.

Quote:
The ZXi / ZDi don’t get a boot open lever on the inside. Instead, the boot lock / unlock function is linked to the central locking system. Good luck with showing mall security chaps the small release button on the boot.
Electromegnatic boot would be a problem at malls, while checking the security guard would not be aware of that button and it might take some more time to make them understand. In some cases we might also have to get of the vehicle to show them demonstration.

Quote:
Even though the fuel tank is 42 liters in size, thanks to the diesel's fuel efficiency, you can realistically expect a tank range of 600+ kms (city) and 750+ kms (highway).
At least 50 - 55 liters tank would have sufficed.

Quote:

Window glass of the super-thin variety; traffic noise is prominent inside the cabin. One of the reasons why the new Swift is lighter:
I felt the cabin to be quieter than the outgoing model, may be due to negligible engine sound.

Quote:
Bet most (if not all) 2011 Swifts you’ve seen so far have been white. Reason? That’s the way production has been planned. We even have a picture to prove it!! Thanks to BHPian Devil_KLM for this one:
Guess the above picture had been released more than 6-7 months back. Can't be sure of the current situation. However, in India white cars are favorite.

Quote:
Flippy key would have been preferred. Key buttons are made of economy grade material:
Flippy key is sorely missed. A Skoda or Fiat type key would have been gr8. However, there are shops to get these keys converted to flippy ones. I guess they charge 1500/key for non remote key and 2500 for remote key. Enthusiasts may get them done.

Quote:
Tiny rear window + black interiors make the rear environment similar to that of a cargo train:
Personally I have never liked beige interiors in smaller cars. Its good that MSIL have not changed the black interiors. However for Beige fans an option could have been provided.
ankurvirmani19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 11:41   #128
BHPian

I had visited the showroom yesterday where we had booked the Swift for the first time to inquire about the status of my booking. To my surprise they could not give me an exact time frame of when my car will arrive. Also, the salesman was still interested in pitching me the Wagon R Clearly he is not aware of GTO's cross shopping analysis

Anyhow, is there any way to get a reply out of some reliable source regarding the estimated time of delivery if I get hold of the booking number? I so don't want the white color, please Maruti.
Old 28th September 2011, 11:53   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Radio antenna now placed at the rear part of the roof (older Swift wore it at the front):
GTO thanks for the 5 Star Update,

Well about that sport antennae which isn't flexible to bend how can the cover put on it....
I didnt get an answer for that from the showroom, if its the usual design the antennae will break like a Bamboo stick .

please share if any information you have on it.

Cheers

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th September 2011 at 12:20. Reason: Please do not quote the entire post when replying.
Old 28th September 2011, 11:53   #130
BHPian

Finally the most awaited test drive is out and is in its classic GTO style.

I had booked Zdi couple of months back, even before the launch. But now with the discounts and exchange bonus, Punto 90 looks very lucrative which now costs just couple of thousands costlier than Zdi and also has more features.

Has anyone from our forum test drove both the vehicles back to back?

The pros for Swift is well known and well discussed but the cons which I felt was the relatively bad ride quality, totally impractical boot and the lack of road presence.

The factors for considering Punto is the Awesome design, built quality, ride quality and road behavior along with safety. But am worried about fit and finish, performance and service. First and last factors more worried as I own a Safari and its quality is absurd!

@ GTO, wonder which diesel hatch you would buy if you want to take it for some highway drives along with city drives. Also, what was the reason for MSIL not providing a test mule for team-bhp? Couple of members had asked the same question already. Thanks a tonne to the fella, who gave his new possession for testing.
Old 28th September 2011, 12:08   #131
Team-BHP Support

I am sorry, but with no time frame allotted despite booking a Car, I would look elsewhere. There are as good options.
Old 28th September 2011, 12:18   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Great review giving credit where due and calling a spade a spade!!

And to exclude a brake booster at the L and V levels!! Frankly you are taking the customer for a ride. An aftermarket brake booster and a set of Tarox brake discs are what I would recommend as a upgrade before a tuning box. Pardon the excessive posturing but frankly this is unacceptable!!
Agree with you that the braking is weak. But, I guess it does have a brake booster. It's not missed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post

5. No USB. On a car that's 6.5L on road. Are you kidding me????
Swift ZDI does have a USB, and aux in. I guess it's fitted in the lower part of the center console.
Old 28th September 2011, 12:20   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of all the new hatchbacks launched this year, my money would be on a "Red, MJD, Emotion Pack". This hatch pulls the strings to your heart like no other.
GTO, this is what you had said after reviewing the Punto at the time of launch back in 2009. If you've to pick a diesel hatch today,having driven all the new launches post 2009 which one would it be ?

Superb review as always! The new swift is a fantastic car, either an enthusiast or the ordinary joe cant go wrong with this. The only request to Maruti is to please do something about the waiting period, i mean 1 year is simply ridiculous wait for a mass car!! Its no exotic, mind you!!

Also, i feel the ZDI at 7.77l OTR is overpriced for a Maruti hatchback.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 28th September 2011 at 12:22.
Old 28th September 2011, 12:28   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelv View Post
Finally the most awaited test drive is out and is in its classic GTO style.

I had booked Zdi couple of months back, even before the launch. But now with the discounts and exchange bonus, Punto 90 looks very lucrative which now costs just couple of thousands costlier than Zdi and also has more features.

Has anyone from our forum test drove both the vehicles back to back?

The pros for Swift is well known and well discussed but the cons which I felt was the relatively bad ride quality, totally impractical boot and the lack of road presence.

The factors for considering Punto is the Awesome design, built quality, ride quality and road behavior along with safety. But am worried about fit and finish, performance and service. First and last factors more worried as I own a Safari and its quality is absurd!

@ GTO, wonder which diesel hatch you would buy if you want to take it for some highway drives along with city drives. Also, what was the reason for MSIL not providing a test mule for team-bhp? Couple of members had asked the same question already. Thanks a tonne to the fella, who gave his new possession for testing.
The only thing that might tilt the scales in the favour of the Zdi instead of the Punto 90bhp is MULs *** and hence the resale value .How else would one explain a cramped MUL car with a Fiat engine selling way better than a Fiat car with the same Fiat engine !! No wonder the Zen sold better than the Uno !!

But if I were to spend 8 L on a small car ,it would be the i20 Crdi in Diesel or the Jazz in petrol .(Even though I love the Punto 90BHP more than anything ,I just dont trust Tata )
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2011, 12:37   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
.How else would one explain a cramped MUL car with a Fiat engine selling way better than a Fiat car with the same Fiat engine !! No wonder the Zen sold better than the Uno !!
Not in the same state of tune though

With Swift getting a 90HP VGT heart, things would tilt in favor of Swift or a Figo with the new Fiesta's engine. (assumptions )

I am afraid, but pricing, coupled with L-O-N-G waiting periods is a downer, the later more than the former.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks