Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2012, 11:14   #181
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Thanks. Yes, intend to make sure before taking the plunge.

The factor of ride comfort (for at least 6) is more prominent for my long drives which will be a sure mix of very good to practically non-existent roads. So far have been able to manage without a 4x4 on these trips. Innova was so far the contender, based on a few of these trips on one. A final call, as and when I take a test ride of Ertiga...
Can someone clarify whether having the fuel tank at the bottom be a problem in taking the Ertiga to difficult terrains like Leh/Ladakh? Or is it the same with other MUVs like Innova?
Old 30th April 2012, 11:55   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SachinVD View Post
Can someone clarify whether having the fuel tank at the bottom be a problem in taking the Ertiga to difficult terrains like Leh/Ladakh? Or is it the same with other MUVs like Innova?
I have tried to see that in Xylo. The risk is samilar as the Tank is as exposed as in case of Ertiga. I don't know how tough the tanks are.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:36   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
Any idea about launch of Ecosport?
Expected launch of Ecosport is around Jan 2013, you can follow Ecosport thread for more information on that http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...g-33-a-49.html
Old 30th April 2012, 14:04   #184
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
how would it be if there was a seating configuration like the Omni-E. Two 3-seater benches facing each other
Add this option to my list of seating option suggestions - a 5-seater (2 rows), 6 seater (bucket seats in second row), 7-seater (current one), 9-seater (side-facing seats in third row), and this 7-seater (Omni-like). The last one will work for 'tourists' with bottles...
Old 30th April 2012, 14:51   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Sales of Sx4 Diesel could drop like a stone. For the same price one gets a possible 7 seater vs a 5 seater.
I beg to differ - There is a good set of population who prefers the "executive" look of a sedan(SX4) compared to the "van" Look of an Ertiga.

A Manager willing to spend 10 lacs would prefer an SX4 compared to en Ertiga. Even if he needs to trasport 7 on select occassions, he would hire an MUV.
Old 30th April 2012, 14:57   #186
BHPian

Thanks for such an excellent and very detailed review. It has analyzed Ertiga thoroughly and touched almost every aspect. Very helpful for potential buyers. Just amazing!
Old 30th April 2012, 17:21   #187
BHPian

Great review VID66369. Maruti sure looks to have a winner in their hands. If someone can come up with such a bold idea to launch a car at an entirely new segment, it has to be Maruti. It is sure to eat away a part of the sedan sales figure. But just surprised about the huge price difference between the petrol and diesel base variants.
Old 30th April 2012, 22:48   #188
BHPian

Great Review Indeed!

Saw today a live example that Maruti Ertiga is already creating quite a buzz. How? Well i also got to saw one in flesh parked in Dwarka sector 6 Market & i could see more than 10 people hovering around it, all glued up to get a glimpse of this new product from Maruti

Last edited by saurabhdadhichi : 30th April 2012 at 22:50. Reason: Mistake in typing New Product from Maruti & not Ertiga
Old 30th April 2012, 23:01   #189
Senior - BHPian

my neighbour in Bangalore got Ertiga ZXI next day of launch. When i went back to Bangalore, saw little oversized Ritz parked outside house. I for once was totally confused which car is this?? till i saw Ertiga written at back. It doest look as big as i thought. For the price and brand name, MSIL is offerning superb product. And the person who bought is "35 year old married with one child, parents staying with him" like we discussed in Ertiga thread about target buyers.

I described about Ertiga to another friend of mine who was also looking for sedan like Dzire or Etios. Description of 5 plus 2 seats for child made him think about Ertiga.

Well positioned and well designed product according to me. But for me, i will buy a Honda Jazz over petrol Ertiga.
recshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 11:52   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
And the person who bought is "35 year old married with one child, parents staying with him" like we discussed in Ertiga thread about target buyers.

I described about Ertiga to another friend of mine who was also looking for sedan like Dzire or Etios. Description of 5 plus 2 seats for child made him think about Ertiga.
Exactly, Maruti LUV is hard to ignore. Saw a silver coloured Ertiga couple of days back & believe me it attracts because of its practicality rather than other attributes to a family man. I am falling in (second) LUV .
Old 1st May 2012, 16:10   #191
BHPian

Ertiga April Sales > 5000. Surely this is a great start for a new segment defining vehicle. However, looks like Innova hasn't been affected as it continues its >6K sales. Looks like the impact has been on SX4
Old 1st May 2012, 20:06   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76
Ertiga April Sales > 5000. Surely this is a great start for a new segment defining vehicle. However, looks like Innova hasn't been affected as it continues its >6K sales. Looks like the impact has been on SX4
I have been saying from day 1 that Ertiga will impact more to Hatchbacks and Sedans than Innova/Xylo. As we can see on this thread itself, people who were considering mid size sedans are looking forward for Ertiga. Let's wait for coming months sales charts and see who is impacted most.
Old 1st May 2012, 23:52   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power

I have been saying from day 1 that Ertiga will impact more to Hatchbacks and Sedans than Innova/Xylo. As we can see on this thread itself, people who were considering mid size sedans are looking forward for Ertiga. Let's wait for coming months sales charts and see who is impacted most.
There are a few competitors joining the band wagon in the coming few months..coz the MPV segment is quite lucrative, good for the end user and the choices are REAL good , force one, evalia from nissan, to name a few
Old 2nd May 2012, 02:58   #194
BHPian

Hi

I took 3 different test drives in Ertiga totalling about 30 kms in different climate types (afternoon at 37 degrees, rainy evening and normal dry sunny morning), different roads (wide 6 lane expressway, stop go traffic and a village kutcha road with 4-5 feet craters filled with water and general slush) and with a full load (6 people), half load (4 people and sitting in two variations-front and middle, front and last only-I was simulating baggage load) and just 2 people. I was looking for only diesel version so all the test drives were in a diesel version...and the only one available at the dealerships was a ZDI.

Here are my impressions on the 3-4 items that have generated maximum discussion on this MUV-

Driveability – Start the diesel engine and it settles into a comfortable and easy groove. No heavy vibrations, no clatter nothing out of the ordinary. In fact the engine is so silent you will be hard pressed to know that it is a diesel engine. The vehicle holds surprisingly well at 120-130 kmph speeds, no excessive body roll, manoeuvring was easy, turning at speeds around 55-60 kept the MUV planted on the road. Plaint is the word that comes closest to describing the ride quality. It runs along peacefully. No fuss. The turbo lag is somewhat evident below rpms 1750-1800. This is something I really wanted to check. So a drive in stop go traffic was essential. With 4 people on board it did not strain. It ambled along peacefully. When that little spurt was needed press the accelerator and the turbo comes in and you are ready for a sprint. Moving away from good roads it was time to test in a kucha road (no gravel/tar at all) full of craters which due to rains were filled and ready with slush. After a couple of minutes trying to learn the approach to such places I was able to easily take the vehicle through rather extensive slush. On this drive there were 4 and at another time 2 people along. The total length of this road was about 400 yards. I wish there was traction control and a 4x4 but well...can’t have everything at this price! A word about the suspension. It feels very smooth. Just the right balance. No wallowy ride, potholes are dispatched easily and thanks to the ground clearance no scrapping off the speed bumps. A regular ramp of basement parking was covered in second gear and of course the AC was not needed to be turned off. Too short one would say, the only other place I could get were two flyover. Overall inclines (only the flyover variety) did not bother with 6 people on board. The vehicle did not lose breath. Yes I did downshift from 4 to 3. At 45 kmph speed I would have normally done so in most other cars. When I went over the same flyover with just 2 people the vehicle did not need a down shifting. The acceleration is very good and the braking is even better. Its sure footed and does not nose dive. Thanks to the ABS available on all models. In short it can take GQ runs peacefully and if there is slush/bad road the vehicle does take that in its stride.

Cabin Comfort – Much has been written about the versatility of the seating. I am 6.2 and I took extensive time using all the permutations/combinations for checking the seating space. Here are my observations. All 7 people of my height is a tall order. At best 5 people of 6 feet can sit and the last row be folded down for baggage or with slight adjustment and some fun 7 people all of 6 feet height can travel a short distance. The front and middle rows do offer very good space and no one really will feel cramped. Once that happens the last row is good for kids. With some adjustment a family of 2 elders, 2 adults and 2 kids can all be accommodated and yes they can do a 10-12 hr journey together without any complaints. Yes their baggage would then need to be on a roof top carrier/thule box. I spent a good half an hour trying to get to the ‘optimum’ space for everyone. The best I was able to work with is bringing the middle row somewhere in the middle of the rails. The front row at a comfortable level and the middle row not reclining to more than 120-130 degrees allows for good enough space for kids in the last row. The folding option for the last row is actually creates a wonderful boot space and if there are only 2 people, folding middle and last row creates a flat bed. I was able to lay flat, closed the hatch (and some other folks wanted a picture of mine like that!). In short if you are looking of a genuine 7 seater and will almost all the time need to carry 7 people perhaps you should look elsewhere. This is a good 5 seater and their baggage vehicle. Remove the headrests of the last row totally and fold them down. You gain an extra 2 inches. And if it is a family of 2 elders, 2 adults and 2 kids well that should not be a problem as far as they have a roof top solution. I tried to play music through USB and ipod. Both were possible. The sound is just above average. The ZDI version has 6 speakers.

Air Con- There has been some discussion on its capability to cool the greenhouse. If the MUV has been standing in the sun (outside temp being 36C) for a couple of hours with its window panes rolled up, naturally the inside temperature would have been high. So, to check the air conditioner capability, I went one afternoon. The vehicle inside was hot and using my G shock I was able to get an inside temperature of 48 deg C. I then went for a somewhat longer test drive and took the following configuration of the AC – first rolled the window panes down, set the AC on fresh air and full blower front and middle. After 5-6 minutes rolled up the window panes and turned the AC to interior circulation, reduced the front blower to speed 3, kept the rear AC to full 3. In about 15-16 minutes of driving I was able to get the cabin to a comfortable 25/24 measured by G shock. Outside temp at this time was 35 deg C. For the next 15 minutes of so also the cabin remained at 24/23 but did not go below 23. Needless to say there is a separate condenser and cooling coil as our reviewers have also brought clearly mentioned. I personally felt a climate control would have made a huge difference but is certainly not a deal breaker.

Materials used – Most of us would have had a bumper replaced, headlight/tail light damaged, on some occasions with no fault of ours as well, I was curious to see how it fares in these areas. The metal sheet used is a normal Maruti sheet. I wish it was slightly thicker. The bumper being fiber is able to take some amount of impact ie a nudge at 5 kmph. Beyond that I am sure it will get damaged...of course I did not even try it! The intercooler is rather close to the bumper. I wish there was at least 2-3 inches more between them. In due course I am sure chrome covers for lights will come. The sales rep could not get me the price of a light. Any Swift owners would know that. There is just too much of beige inside. I wish they did not have it on the door trims and the AC controls at least. It is really prone to getting dirty. Much as you try it is bound to have stains. Sitting on the seats I felt they were just a shade softer. Maybe just me, but I would prefer slightly harder seats. There was not much of thigh support. The chrome on the door makes it look classy and sturdy. In the rain the wipers did a really nice job. The scuff plates perhaps need to have additional screw. I felt the 3 MUVs I drove had them ready to get ripped off. At night the lights had a good throw and lit up a dark road well. There i a beam adjuster. The fog lamps could have been better.

My wish list - I spent time under the vehicle. It has 2 plastic engine protection plates (sort of). These are towards the wheels and in the middle the engine is somewhat exposed for about 1 feet across. To my mind an engine protection plate is always a good idea. I would love the vehicle to have a climate control and if possible even 16 inch tyres. I would also have a preferred the rear AC to be more meshed with the ceiling like Innova (maybe there was a reason they did not). I would have also wanted the engine to be 1.6 or 2 L engine developing 250 NM but I was certainly happy to feel the performance. It is an eager and revv happy engine. I wish the fuel tank was a larger one. Say 55 liters. Although given the average in diesel this MUV is likely to have a range of 675-700 kms. The excessive beige should be curtailed and hopefully there will be no niggles when it starts hitting the road unlike a recent launch of a much awaited vehicle from our Indian major.

In short, the vehicle does cover all bases well – versatility, good responsive engine, good seating, spacing combo, ABS, air bags, and above all Maruti’s reliability/service network/cost of ownership. There are really no serious faults or points a miss that would be deal breakers. The vehicle is good value for money.
Regards
Rajain is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:13   #195
Senior - BHPian

I have already shortlisted Safari as my next vehicle, but looking at Ertiga i am actually having second mind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks