Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2012, 12:35   #811
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Won't the bull bar have any effect on the airbag deployment in case of an accident?
Yes, I was advised by my friends about it, but I chose to go ahead! I'm believing those airbags remain unused for the life of the vehicle.
Old 21st December 2012, 13:21   #812
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post

Yes, I was advised by my friends about it, but I chose to go ahead! I'm believing those airbags remain unused for the life of the vehicle.
That is very optimisric and I would wish you the same. But i would advise you to find out the effect on the Airbags. These can save lives, but with these bull bars, they probably can't.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 14:51   #813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I have some queries for the petrol Ertiga owners.
1. How does the car pull with 5-6 people onboard with the holiday luggage?
2. Are the overhead AC vents effective & does the cool air flow reach the last row of seats?
I have a ZXI for the past five months now. Have driven all over the mountains, plains, roads, no roads and even a flooded lake shore (never again !!). Believe me the car is a great performer with 5-6 people and luggage. The AC seems to just manage at +40 degrees, but its comfortable upto the last row or my kids would be howling. The heater was hot enough at -3 a few days ago.
As for the bonnet view, I got used to that very soon.

My ZXI is giving me a fuel effeciency of +16 kmpl, on mostly highway driving (tank top up basis)... which is quite a pleasant surprise consideraing that Maruti too claims the same. A couple of sceptics couldn't believe me and checked it out themselves!
rajesh2812 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 15:56   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've recently given a comprehensive review in this post which you can check from this link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post2994902
Went through your feedback in the above thread. "But I can tell you that I've driven my Ertiga with 7 people and 2 kids on board to Ooty with luggage and the engine did it without a sweat!" This statement says it all . I have been to Ooty (though not in the recent past) & I am aware of the twisty, winding roads of the Nilgiris.

Quote:
The second row AC is good enough for the 3rd row. I know for a fact because my mom prefers the third row while we travel!
Wonderful, I can now rest assured that the rear benchers would be as comfortable as the front ones (if not more) in the scorching summers.

Quote:
During long highway drives, surprisingly the 1.3 is very relaxed with enough reserve to handle an overtake if needed. Would I love a 1.6? Definitely! Having said that, I still enjoy my 1.3 for its cruising nature, reliability and mileage.
I acknowledge your thoughts. Having driven an utterly underpowered car all this while, I want to make sure that my next one must have enough grunt to haul 6 people with their luggage, without any fuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
I felt the below difference driving with 6-7 people:
- The engine feels week at lower RPM's. The turbo lag is evident, so you need to rev little higher to reach the running speed. Once the RPM crosses 1800, you can feel the high response from the engine and acceleration. In normal conditions (3-4 on board) you don't feel it much.

But I never felt it underpowered either in city traffic or in highway. A 1.6L might be the best for this vehicle, but I am very happy with the current performance/mileage 1.3L offering
Thanks for that feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh2812 View Post
I have a ZXI for the past five months now. Have driven all over the mountains, plains, roads, no roads and even a flooded lake shore (never again !!). Believe me the car is a great performer with 5-6 people and luggage. The AC seems to just manage at +40 degrees, but its comfortable upto the last row or my kids would be howling. The heater was hot enough at -3 a few days ago.
As for the bonnet view, I got used to that very soon.

My ZXI is giving me a fuel effeciency of +16 kmpl, on mostly highway driving (tank top up basis)... which is quite a pleasant surprise consideraing that Maruti too claims the same. A couple of sceptics couldn't believe me and checked it out themselves!
Thanks Rajesh for sharing your experience. Even I loved the ZXi. Good to know that you are getting wonderful FE even with 5-6 people with their luggage on board & you didn't face any issues in the hilly terrain of J&K
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2012, 15:09   #815

Folks, can anyone confirm what's the recommended tyre pressure on Ertiga? My car manual says - look at the sticker in the door and there are no stickers on any of the doors.
Old 25th December 2012, 20:44   #816
Senior - BHPian

Happened to check out the ERTIGA today and was pleasantly surprised

MARUTI have quietly tweaked the rear-most seats, they now dont have head rests and what this has done is, the middle row can now be slid completely back with the last row folded down

The car is also very old-people friendly, easy to get in and get out with a low sill and high enough seat

The cardboard contraption in the boot covering up the place left by the rear-most seat and the door is also gone, the boot itself is quite big and can accomodate bags of soft luggage easily

Best thing is LXi costs 7.6 Onroad Bangalore with power-steering and AC as standard, the power windows can be fitted after market for 5,000.

Overall, a very nice car and a great eye-opener for me for sure
TheARUN is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 20:52   #817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post

MARUTI have quietly tweaked the rear-most seats, they now dont have head rests and what this has done is, the middle row can now be slid completely back with the last row folded down

The car is also very old-people friendly, easy to get in and get out with a low sill and high enough seat

The cardboard contraption in the boot covering up the place left by the rear-most seat and the door is also gone, the boot itself is quite big and can accomodate bags of soft luggage easily

Best thing is LXi costs 7.6 Onroad Bangalore with power-steering and AC as standard, the power windows can be fitted after market for 5,000.

Overall, a very nice car and a great eye-opener for me for sure
What do you mean by rear seats don't have head rests?

Those head rests can be removed on existing versions as well. But it should be optional and if maruti removes them its really cheap on their part to cut costs
Old 25th December 2012, 21:04   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly,the seat head-rests are necessary for long distance travel and I don't think any car nowadays comes without them,especially at this price point.Also Maruti would not remove something so easily on such a high selling model,all of a sudden.
Maybe so that your dealer/showroom had removed them to impress would-be customers !!

Quote:

Probably the 'cardboard contraption' you talk about is NOT there on the LXi/LDi versions. Which version did you check up ?
Old 25th December 2012, 21:30   #819
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Won't the bull bar have any effect on the airbag deployment in case of an accident?
Quote:
That is very optimisric and I would wish you the same. But i would advise you to find out the effect on the Airbags. These can save lives, but with these bull bars, they probably can't.
Not just that. Having a hit with a bull-bar fitted can impair a vehicle's chassis & structural strength severely rendering it irreparable.

Why? A bull bar more often than not is fitted/bolted on the chassis. In case of an impact (severe) it will damage the chassis, the engine & its components as it will be forced inside. A bull-bar can't take an impact. It isn't designed so.

And also it will put a question mark on airbag's sensor activation. I don't want to say as to how good or bad it looks.

The max I would advise is a nudge-guard to save the Car from nicks etc.

Thanks
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 09:13   #820
BHPian

Quote:

The cardboard contraption in the boot covering up the place left by the rear-most seat and the door is also gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
What do you mean by rear seats don't have head rests?

Those head rests can be removed on existing versions as well. But it should be optional and if maruti removes them its really cheap on their part to cut costs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Probably the 'cardboard contraption' you talk about is NOT there on the LXi/LDi versions. Which version did you check up ?
Head Rest are not provided in LXi/LDi from Day One. Same goes for Cardboard contraption.

P.S: This is why I insist & encourage inclusion of all variant images in TBHP reviews.

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd January 2013 at 06:12. Reason: Spell Check
zalaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 16:43   #821

Hi ! Swift Diesel ,

This is Sriram Rajann . I posted long time back on my Ertiga - Which I got delivered on 21 st April .
I saw your latest post , with the picture of your Ertiga with the front bumper crash guard .
I wanted to know if your crash guard touches / scratches the humps/speed breakers , when you go over them . The clamp that fastens the crash guard to the chasis extends downwards to about 2.5-3 inches below the chasis .

I was in Bangalore last week and one of the accessories guys in Jayanagar told me that many of the Ertiga owners were concerned about the Bumper crash guard touching and scratching the speed breakers and humps .

Do you experience this problem with your crash guard .

I wanted to know that before I get it fitted to my Ertiga . Also how much did you pay for that front crash guard and where did you buy it from - GP Road ???.. Can you give me the shop name and Price .
My Ertiga has done close to 20000 kms and is due for the 20000 service in a couple of days .

It moves like a song on the highway and turns in 18.5-19 kms /litre when driven at 90-95 .The city mileage is 17.5 now. Engine is quite free now and Dusters /Innovas and XUV"S feel the heat in the highways with ERTIGA. What a winning number Maruti has turned out for us hungry and appreciative Automobile buffs. :-)

We"ll see , if we can meet up in chennai in the near future .

Awaiting your post and latest status. Please clarify on that crash guard issue Cheers

Quote:
I've recently given a comprehensive review in this post which you can check from this link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post2994902

The second row AC is good enough for the 3rd row. I know for a fact because my mom prefers the third row while we travel!

You don't get to see the bonnet in the Ertiga, irrespective of the seat height. I've installed a corner marker on my bull bar as seen in this pic:

During long highway drives, surprisingly the 1.3 is very relaxed with enough reserve to handle an overtake if needed. Would I love a 1.6? Definitely! Having said that, I still enjoy my 1.3 for its cruising nature, reliability and mileage.
Old 26th December 2012, 16:49   #822
Senior - BHPian

Any owners of Petrol Ertiga from the congested metro cities ? One of my relative is interested in this but his usage is pretty low (400-500km per month max) so he is interested in petrol variant.

So it would be great if any owners from Bangalore or similar cities can drop a note on its performance, handling in city as well as weekend highway runs and most importantly Kitna deti hai ?

Swift with K series engine gives 12-13 kmpl in bangalore city and 15-16 kmpl on highways. Would ertiga be similar or will it be lesser due to extra power and weight ?

I went across the detailed thread of Ajay, but then you are blessed and lucky to be breathing fresh air and not face the frustrating city traffic. which is why i am specifically asking for Bangalore(like city) users with petrol ertiga

Last edited by rajshenoy : 26th December 2012 at 16:50.
Old 26th December 2012, 17:06   #823
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Swift with K series engine gives 12-13 kmpl in bangalore city and 15-16 kmpl on highways. Would ertiga be similar or will it be lesser due to extra power and weight ?

I think it should be a bit lower than Swift. Its 1.2 vs 1.4 K-Series. That alone I think should place the FE a bit lower.
Old 26th December 2012, 17:09   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think it should be a bit lower than Swift. Its 1.2 vs 1.4 K-Series. That alone I think should place the FE a bit lower.
my old 1.3L Swift petrol still gives me 12 in city and 14-15 on highways(even 17 if i drive sedate) K series should be more advanced isnt it
Old 26th December 2012, 17:30   #825
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
my old 1.3L Swift petrol still gives me 12 in city and 14-15 on highways(even 17 if i drive sedate) K series should be more advanced isnt it
Very true! My dad's Ritz gives me more than 15 in the city and crosses 20 on the highways.

What I meant to mention, was Ertiga K-Series most probably should give lower FE than Swift K-series.

Most Viewed