BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodv001 View Post
Congrats on your new acquisition.
Thanks a lot vinodv001

Quote:
1) Seats are not Uncomfortable on long drives, but I also feel the need for a better ( adjustable) lumbar support .
Exactly.Seats ain't uncomfortable but the lumbar support could have been better maintaining the normal lumbar curvature, and the head-rest should have been a wee bit backward, instead of being forward. The head rest of XUV 500 is way to uncomfortable as it pushes ones head forward. Here in this case, it is not that pronounced but could have been a little backward, just a little bit , IMO.

Quote:
2) We have also noticed that MID always displays 1.5 to 2 kmpl above the actual (tank full to full method). and the tank capacity is only 36L ...
Could you please explain what you meant by 1.5 to 2 kmpl above the actual ? Is it that what the MID shows on the dash, the actual avg should be less than that or more ? You said above, so does it mean actual avg mileage is less or more ? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
The tank capacity is 45. MID takes into account only 35L, when the reserve starts to kick in.
The official tank capacity is undeniably 45 liters, but how can MSIL miss out the fact that the MID then shows tank capacity as 35-37-39 liters, considering the fact that most say the reserve is 10 liters,denver here says reserve is about 37 liters and he himself filled up 39.5 !! So effectively MSIL has made it complicated for us owners/drivers as to when to go for a refill. They might say that even after showing 0, you can cruise for so-and-so distance, but then with your family and small kids, out on a long highway trip, driving on a desolate stretch, one might land up in trouble due to such unwanted complications. It should have shown the actual Range one can travel on total amount of fuel rather than, reserve is an ambiguous amount,tankfull is somewhere between 35 and 45 liters !!!
I specifically asked when I was taking delivery at the dealership and they all said that , reserve so as to say is whatever in the pipe and that is about 2-3 liters and the rest are in the tank. I wasn't very convinced with their answer though !

That is why I want to specifically ask members like swiftdiesel and nurni ( and also others with diesel units ) , who frequently do long haul travels, and enjoy themselves so much without any complains, that what is your opinion/observations regarding the actual tank capacity of diesel Ertiga, the avg mileage they get and mis-information available on MID vis-a-vis Range ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver85 View Post
The actual tank capacity is 45 liters. The low fuel indication will be shown once diesel quantity is below 8 liters (Approximately 37 liters consumed). I have driven mine up to 650 kms with one tankful, and the MID was showing 0 for last 20-30 kms. Refueling consumed 39.5 liters. (The figures might be different for Petrol Ertiga)
Thanks denver85 for your info
So in that case 37 liters of diesel carried you for 650 kms, if I have got it right or is it 650 kms on full 45 liters ?? So you got a mileage of around 17.57 kmpl (650/37) or just about 14+ kmpl ( 650/45), and your MID showed 0 range for last 20-30 kms. So you ran a risk for that distance without exactly knowing how much you can go further, isn't it ? This is what I want to point out that as owners/drivers we are remaining in the dark as to how much more we can go when it is showing a big 0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Hi great that you are enjoying the ride. Seems like you are making frequent long runs. Waiting to see your travelogue as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Just back from a 1200 kms whirlwind trip from Chennai to Rameswaram. Here is a pic of my Ertiga after the long haul resting in the beaches of Danushkodi (land's end). The drive was fantabulous! Due to Pongal, the highways were free from lorry traffic, so managed to do a consistent 120-130 km/h all the way and still managed a respectable 17 to 18 kmpl. Travelogue will follow soon.
Hope both of you who are proud owners for quite sometime now, give us a detailed view/opinion as regards to this full tank/reserve capacity/MID figure issue. Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 14:38   #857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Hope both of you who are proud owners for quite sometime now, give us a detailed view/opinion as regards to this full tank/reserve capacity/MID figure issue. Thanks
Congrats on your new Ertiga, ultimatechamp! Regarding the MID figures, I'm sorry to say I have no idea about it. I always fill up when the tank reaches the half mark, so haven't experienced reserve mode. Sorry mate.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 16:28   #858
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please explain what you meant by 1.5 to 2 kmpl above the actual ? Is it that what the MID shows on the dash, the actual avg should be less than that or more ? You said above, so does it mean actual avg mileage is less or more ? Thanks
All the numbers you see in MID are indicative. They are not accurate. the range, the instant fe, average fe all are approx figures. And they end up over estimating the FE. For example on highway runs, the average between 2 fuel stops, the MID shows 20+. Whereas the cut-off to cut-off measurement comes to 18 or so.

Quote:
The official tank capacity is undeniably 45 liters, but how can MSIL miss out the fact that the MID then shows tank capacity as 35-37-39 liters, considering the fact that most say the reserve is 10 liters,denver here says reserve is about 37 liters and he himself filled up 39.5 !!
I feel the reserve activates close to 35 than of 39. It is probably denver is filling up to the brim. I stop at the cut off.

Quote:
That is why I want to specifically ask members like swiftdiesel and nurni ( and also others with diesel units ) , who frequently do long haul travels, and enjoy themselves so much without any complains, that what is your opinion/observations regarding the actual tank capacity of diesel Ertiga, the avg mileage they get and mis-information available on MID vis-a-vis Range ?
during the year ending week, I did close to 2500kms. majority of them are on highways. the fe I got was "18.10". the car has completed 7.5k kms.
the car has a 620-630kms range, before which the MID range goes to "0".
gkrishn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 16:31   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Hi in my experience the reserve is 10Ltrs. On one occasion, as soon as the reserve light started glowing, I filled up the tank and added 35Ltrs to make it full tank (Auto cut off). I am not sure why this confusion on 37 and 39 though, probably due to filling up to the brim.

Last edited by nurni76 : 17th January 2013 at 16:40.
Old 17th January 2013, 17:13   #860
BANNED

Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2013/01/s...ndonesia-60674

The Indonesian Suzuki Ertiga has received a minor upgrade for 2013.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-ertiga.jpg  

romeomidhun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 00:11   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Hi in my experience the reserve is 10Ltrs. On one occasion, as soon as the reserve light started glowing, I filled up the tank and added 35Ltrs to make it full tank (Auto cut off). I am not sure why this confusion on 37 and 39 though, probably due to filling up to the brim.
Thanks a lot nurni76
The Auto cut off you are talking about is surely the thing which happens at the petrol pump when the dispenser goes 'clickk' , when the tank is fairly full , isn't it ?

Quote:
All the numbers you see in MID are indicative. They are not accurate. the range, the instant fe, average fe all are approx figures. And they end up over estimating the FE. For example on highway runs, the average between 2 fuel stops, the MID shows 20+. Whereas the cut-off to cut-off measurement comes to 18 or so.
Thanks a lot gkrishn. So MID is not very reliable , isn't it , in your opinion.

Quote:
I feel the reserve activates close to 35 than of 39. It is probably denver is filling up to the brim. I stop at the cut off.

during the year ending week, I did close to 2500kms. majority of them are on highways. the fe I got was "18.10". the car has completed 7.5k kms.
the car has a 620-630kms range, before which the MID range goes to "0".
That means that the car traveled 620-630 kms on 35 liters diesel, and then still had the ability (read diesel) to travel 150+ kms more . Is that what you are implying ? If yes, then I guess that is pretty impressive as it would be nearly ( 620 kms + 180 kms on 10 liter reserve ) = 800 kms range then from tank full to another tankfull. Correct me if I got you wrong.
Also my car , since it is showing 570 kms as range on a full tank, willl travel another 150-180 Kms easily , is it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Congrats on your new Ertiga, ultimatechamp! Regarding the MID figures, I'm sorry to say I have no idea about it. I always fill up when the tank reaches the half mark, so haven't experienced reserve mode. Sorry mate.
Thanks a lot swiftdiesel. Your threads/posts here had firmed up my conviction to go for Ertiga.

This is for everybody :

Have anybody tried toggling on the Tuner Push Button switch to get the 'Preset Equalizer' - the Jazz,Pop,etc thingie ? I am not getting that . Instead of getting what is there on the book, I am getting the 'Bass,Treble,etc..' setting by depressing the switch number of times, as mentioned in the book.
ultimatechamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 16:13   #862
BANNED

Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2013/01/m...ndonesia-60881

"the car will be re-branded as Mazda for Indonesia and sold alongside the Suzuki version of it. Mazda calls its rebadged Ertiga as the VX-1 and is most likely to be assembled by Suzuki at its Indonesian plant. Yes, the CKD kits for the Indonesian built Ertiga are being shipped by Maruti."
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 12:55   #863
BHPian

Got the 3rd free service (at 10K kms) done-
No major issues, rattling etc. I had asked for the Avg/Instant FE/DTE to be checked. The Avg FE used to be stuck at 16.2 KMPL, irrespective
of city/highway drives.

Post service, just returned from a 880 km return trip from BLR-Pondy via Kanchipuram. Avg KMPL on this trip was 19.2/18.2 (Blr-Pondy /
Pondy-Blr) as per MID. Actual that i got from tankful-tankful was approx 18.5KMPL up. (Down yet to check)- Did not exceed beyond 110-120
kmph speed, steady driving, AC on throughout.

Last edited by xotiq : 21st January 2013 at 12:58.
xotiq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 16:31   #864
BHPian

Just came back from a 1700KM trip. Got the following FEs (VDI model):
1. During onward trip, got an average of 20.98 kmpl on the highway with A/C on (both front and rear A/Cs) all the time at minimum position, with driving speeds ranging between 80 to 100 kmph, with 2 adults and 2 kids.
2. During return trip, got an average of 16.59 kmpl on the highway with A/C on (both front and rear A/Cs) all the time at minimum position, with driving speeds ranging between 100 to 120 kmph, with 3 adults and 2 kids.
(both journeys during day time only)

Overall, the drive was comfortable. Some observations:
1. Middlerow right side seat (2 seater) started squeaking. Audible only while hard-braking or while passing over speed-breakers
2. Got knee pains for the last 2 hours of city driving (from Ramoji film city to Kukatpally)
3. Was able to pull 10 or 11 people (7 adults + 3 or 4 kids) for short distances (5 to 10 KMs with in city) without much strain on the engine.
4. Ipod function was quite handy
5. Highway cruise was quite comfortable

Someone asked whether this is a new model of Innova ;-)
nistala is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 12:15   #865
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nistala View Post
3. Was able to pull 10 or 11 people (7 adults + 3 or 4 kids) for short distances (5 to 10 KMs with in city) without much strain on the engine.
But how did you squeeze all of them inside? Please give the seating tip like 3+5+3...

Last edited by romeomidhun : 22nd January 2013 at 12:16.
Old 22nd January 2013, 13:32   #866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
But how did you squeeze all of them inside? Please give the seating tip like 3+5+3...
He did not mention 'inside'..
7 adults + 4 kids sitting on lap maybe..?

For long drives we prefer 2+2+1, leaving the 7th seat for luggage rather than 2+3.
xotiq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 14:00   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
7 adults + 4 kids sitting on lap
nistala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 13:29   #868

Greetings to all Team BHPians.
I would like to share a few humble points about the maruti Ertiga ZDi, after 8500kms.
1. The MUV (or 'LUV' as Maruti Suzuki pleases) is quite good to drive, i do not feel the need to floor the pedal as driveability at 1500 rpm in 4th gear is quite good. One can literally drive it like an automatic in 3rd and 4th gear.
2. Multi information display shows an average between 19.5 and 20.0 kmpl of diesel, even after 4-5 resets. Once I have got an average of 20.6 kmpl (see pic). I am not sure about it, but i shall calculate the same by the tank full to tank empty method and post my finding soon.
3. Overtaking is a breeze. Just need to floor the pedal and the jobs done, even in 5th gear.
4. One thing, i feel which is really commendable, is the braking. It’s far better than other maruti cars (again it’s a personal opinion, no offence to all fellow BHPians). I have panic-braked two times, and the ABS works excellent.
5. I mostly use it as a comfortable 5 seater, but i have used it as a six and seven seater also. The vehicle does become tail heavy when loaded fully, but it’s within acceptable limits for me, if i do not do enthusiastic driving.
I will be posting further review soon.
Thanks to all.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-picture12.jpg  

Dr.PK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 09:35   #869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.PK View Post
Greetings to all Team BHPians.
I would like to share a few humble points about the maruti Ertiga ZDi, after 8500kms.

I will be posting further review soon.
Thanks to all.
Good to see an honest feedback from an owner. Thanks for sharing & keep it coming. Since you have already crossed 8.5K kms, I think it is the right time to start your separate ownership thread. Do start it in the earnest & post the link over here for the benefit of all existing & potential Ertiga owners. Thanks.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 12:32   #870

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Good to see an honest feedback from an owner. Thanks for sharing & keep it coming. Since you have already crossed 8.5K kms, I think it is the right time to start your separate ownership thread. Do start it in the earnest & post the link over here for the benefit of all existing & potential Ertiga owners. Thanks.
@AutoIndian-Thank you for your interest. I have decided to write a detailed review, after 10,000kms i.e. 3rd service. I will try to add my decision making, buying and ownership details about the car. I shall also post my fuel tank full to empty mileage as soon as i calculate it. Thank you once again.
Dr.PK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks