Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:22   #991
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Just back from an awesome 1500 kms round trip from Chennai-Virudhunagar-Madurai-Theni-Chennai. With the dismal response my previous travelogues received, I've decided not to post one this time and wear you guys out. Instead, I'm giving a brief review on how my Ertiga performed during the trip and a P.S note at the bottom to tell you what happened to me towards the end of the trip.

My current odo stands at 23500 kms and the highlight of this trip is the mileage. No, I'm not talking the DTE mileage, but tankful-tankful method. At a consistent speed of 90-100 kmph, the mileage is an awesome 20 kmpl with 4 on board and loaded to the gills with luggage. At 120, the mileage drops considerably to 16, which is understandable. Since I'm familiar with this engine from my Swift days, I really don't bother about mileage.

I know this engine's a mile muncher, so no surprises there. But what blew me away was the performance! I cannot begin to explain how this engine performs on the highway and I'm not exaggerating! It's as if the engine reads your mind and delivers exactly what you want! For lack of a better word, this engine is intuitive! Quick overtakes, cruising, drivability (60-110 kmph) in 5th gear, this engine delivers. Forgive me for saying this again, but the engine just gets better and better with more miles. When I upshift from 4th to 5th on the highway, the engine gives out a satisfied "ooooooo" sound, telling me it's getting prepared for the long haul. To me, that sounds orgasmic! (pun intended).

I had to visit a site in the foothills of Kodaikanal, and trust me, I was venturing into Jeep Wrangler territory! In fact, I managed to scrape my underbody in a mud rut but all was well. There was no road, but a small clearing in a forest for a vehicle as small as an Alto to go through. I'll be forgiving if the Ertiga didn't make it because it's not a Jeep Wrangler. But the Ertiga took whatever I threw it, in its stride, without complain. No rattles by the way, given the abuse the vehicle was put under, other than an occasional squeak from the overhead AC unit. By occasional, I mean one or two squeaks on extremely bad roads taken at speed. Had some heart breaking moments when I was at speed and a hug rut turned up. The vehicle aced it and carried on as if nothing happened, although I gulp in guilt for not slowing down!

With all these positives, I know our forum members won't be happy without a mention of 1 or 2 negatives. Ok, there's one, no, two. Would've loved one more cabin lamp, and a charging point for the rear passengers.

P.S: Something else happened to me in this trip as myself and my Ertiga had our lone time together on the highway. I say this with a sheepish grin on my face - I'm now a self-confessed Ertiga fan, a.k.a, Ertigan.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 23rd March 2013 at 12:23.
swiftdiesel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:57   #992
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Just back from an awesome 1500 kms round trip from Chennai-Virudhunagar-Madurai-Theni-Chennai. With the dismal response my previous travelogues received, I've decided not to post one this time and wear you guys out.

When I upshift from 4th to 5th on the highway, the engine gives out a satisfied "ooooooo" sound, telling me it's getting prepared for the long haul. To me, that sounds orgasmic! (pun intended).

P.S: Something else happened to me in this trip as myself and my Ertiga had our lone time together on the highway. I say this with a sheepish grin on my face - I'm now a self-confessed Ertiga fan, a.k.a, Ertigan.
Glad to know that you've found your second love, enjoying it and experiencing the Big O.

Just one question. How was the driving comfort? I mean how did your leg take it? In Ritz forum people have found that the car is giving pain to the legs on long drives. People taking Wagon R on long drives are also experiencing something similar. Perhaps the reason is their high seating. Now Ertiga also has similar seating arrangement. What has been your experience?

And don't worry about your TLs. People are reading/looking at them... may be they are not just responding to it or asking questions. Looking forward to your TL.
anandjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 16:27   #993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
Glad to know that you've found your second love, enjoying it and experiencing the Big O.

Just one question. How was the driving comfort? I mean how did your leg take it? In Ritz forum people have found that the car is giving pain to the legs on long drives. People taking Wagon R on long drives are also experiencing something similar. Perhaps the reason is their high seating. Now Ertiga also has similar seating arrangement. What has been your experience?

And don't worry about your TLs. People are reading/looking at them... may be they are not just responding to it or asking questions. Looking forward to your TL.
Since there is steering tilt adjust and driver seat height adjust, there are various permutations and combinations you can try. As for me, I don't feel any pain in my leg on long journeys except general tiredness. Thanks for the encouragement, will post a TL soon!
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2013, 23:42   #994
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...With the dismal response my previous travelogues received, I've decided not to post one this time and wear you guys out. ...
Record it for yourselves; am sure when you want to remember about the trip 2 years down the line, this will help you smile & cherish those moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandjha View Post
...How was the driving comfort? I mean how did your leg take it? ...People taking Wagon R on long drives are also experiencing something similar...
In Wagon R, I never experienced problems in my leg; rather the part below your arms take a hit. Not sure what is that part called (Abs?), but your body sides will start paining. I never had that issue in my Swift though. I am kinda surprised to know Ritz don't provide similar levels of comfort as a Swift; infact I expect it to be better owing to the higher driving position.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 07:55   #995
BHPian

Took the car for its scheduled second service .

The kat kat sound from the over head blower , still exisits , to look at the exact issue they would have to remove the entire roof lining, which I dont want them to do .

The passenger side door doesnt close in one go (with a gentle push ) forgot to mention that to the SA , will have to go again to get the door aligned .

The AC was stinking , was told that ertiga doesnt come with a AC filter , so got it fixed for 1400 Rs .

Wheel alighnment , rotation and balancing ( day light robbery ) all for 1000 bucks .

Service done at Sai Service (Phugewadi , Pune )

Washing and cleaning was superb .

Car delivered as per promised time .
gautamkhadse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 13:28   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on your purchase of this workhorse! I love your DRLs! Do you have an extra switch to turn them on? I'm also interested in your HID fog lamp setup. Can you share some info in this regard? I'm looking to do both these upgrades on mine.
I had the idea of having a separate switch for the DRl's but u have to cut through the wiring socket to send the wire to the dashboard. did not want to spoil it so went ahead with connection to the parking lights. HID is very easy to install, did not take more than 20 minutes. i am using philips HID kit with one year warranty. cheers- Huwaeiguy
huwaeiguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 13:49   #997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huwaeiguy View Post
I had the idea of having a separate switch for the DRl's but u have to cut through the wiring socket to send the wire to the dashboard. did not want to spoil it so went ahead with connection to the parking lights. HID is very easy to install, did not take more than 20 minutes. i am using philips HID kit with one year warranty. cheers- Huwaeiguy
The Philips HID kit you mention is for your fog lamps right? Can you mention the lamp specs and the cost please? Also, a night shot of your HIDs on the Ertiga would be great, if I'm not bothering you too much. Did they remove the bumper to install it? Thanks mate.
Old 26th March 2013, 13:44   #998
BHPian

Quote:
Just back from an awesome 1500 kms round trip from Chennai-Virudhunagar-Madurai-Theni-Chennai. With the dismal response my previous travelogues received, I've decided not to post one this time and wear you guys out. Instead, I'm giving a brief review on how my Ertiga performed during the trip and a P.S note at the bottom to tell you what happened to me towards the end of the trip.

My current odo stands at 23500 kms and the highlight of this trip is the mileage. No, I'm not talking the DTE mileage, but tankful-tankful method. At a consistent speed of 90-100 kmph, the mileage is an awesome 20 kmpl with 4 on board and loaded to the gills with luggage. At 120, the mileage drops considerably to 16, which is understandable. Since I'm familiar with this engine from my Swift days, I really don't bother about mileage.
Hey Swiftdiesel, I always look forward to your posts. You are one of the few Ertiga owners who have clocked 20k+ km already. Forgive me for not replying. I am generally lazy posting anything except when I have queries, so you say I am selfish!

I got my 10k service done about 2 weeks ago and went for the first long trip after the service. The trip was Bangalore-Mysore-Ooty and back. I am not happy with the F.E. this time. I had reset the MID before starting from my home in Bangalore and when I reached mysore it was showing only 16.4. I am back in Bangalore now and it shows 16.8. This means the actual F.E. must be around 15.5. My previous long trip was to Yelagiri in January before the 10K service and the MID was showing 18.4 in that trip. In both trips the car was (almost) equally loaded with 6 or 7 people. I always drive in the speed range of 80-100kmph. The differences which could have contributed to less F.E. which I can think of are:
- Had a overhead roof carrier with bags on it this time which could have caused more air drag
- Much hotter weather. Had to keep running both ACs with blowers in 2nd position
- Bangalore - Mysore route passes through many towns and throughout the stretch there are road humps and also heavy weekend traffic

So I am not sure if there is a real issue with the F.E. with my car or its just the above conditions. The city F.E. is not bad in my opinion. The MID shows 15.0-15.1 and actual FE is just about 14 which I had measured after the 10K service. I always keep AC on (only front AC) and rarely switch off at the 17 signals that I have to pass through each way.

Other than this I definitely notice the engine has become much smoother after the service (I opted for fully synthetic oil).

Another observation is that clutch seems to get slightly harder after driving for sometime, compared to when cold start at morning.
mohan41 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 18:15   #999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
- Had a overhead roof carrier with bags on it this time which could have caused more air drag
- Much hotter weather. Had to keep running both ACs with blowers in 2nd position
- Bangalore - Mysore route passes through many towns and throughout the stretch there are road humps and also heavy weekend traffic

Other than this I definitely notice the engine has become much smoother after the service (I opted for fully synthetic oil).

Another observation is that clutch seems to get slightly harder after driving for sometime, compared to when cold start at morning.
Hi mohan41, thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed my posts.

Regarding your mileage, I think it's good enough given the conditions you've mentioned. Also, constant stop-go traffic and ghat sections tell upon the mileage. Why not buy Thule box instead of your overhead rack? Thule is a Swedish product designed keeping aerodynamics in mind. It's pear shape offers the least drag when driven at speed, translating into lesser strain on the engine and improved mileage. Our fellow Ertigan, Rajain has a Thule box on his baby and he's just back from an interstate north south corridor trip.

Post 20k kms, the engine has suddenly turned extremely smooth and every time I drive I try finding out why! Partly, it could be the synthetic oil but I still cannot attribute all that smoothness to just the oil. It's not just smoothness, but the engine's extremely drivable. During the first 10k kms I vividly remember the kind of turbo-lag I experienced at low city speeds but now I hardly experience any. Unfortunately, I have no technical explanation to back up my facts, so I've decided to enjoy it.

The rear AC is one feature my family keeps praising about on all of our long trips. After experiencing the comfort of 3 rows and a rear AC, I've decided all my future cars will be 7 seater or 8 seater MPVs. Why not a 7 seater SUV, you may ask. Here's why. SUVs tend to have a long bonnet, to give you the feel of ruggedness. But that long bonnet is designed at the cost of cramped interiors. This is where cars like the Innova and Ertiga trump, thanks to their MPV DNA. Short stubby bonnets with a sloping design to aid aerodynamics. Man maximum, machine minimum (sorry Honda!).

The reclinable and movable middle row is another nifty feature. The permutations and combinations possible through their adjustments is unimaginable. For instance, if you check Rajain's travelogue, he's made a full sized bed for his dad, with a pillow, blanket and the works! Now that's getting into Indian Railways territory. The Ertiga is capable of becoming a travel motorhome if need be.

If you notice the centre console that goes all the way down to the gear lever, you'll see the passenger side has a deeper curve than the driver's side. In essence both ends are asymmetric to carve out more passenger space.

Man I love this! You know I do most of my outstation trips through the night. What I love about the cabin is the faint orange glow that's cast on the doors and sidewalls from the instrument panel. Very much like lounge lighting but without the electricals and their complexities. I know the Honda Civic has a faint blue light for the night. The Ertiga's instrument cluster does that job. Especially from my seat, while I drive through the dark night, I often glance at this faint orange glow on my door and enjoy it. Even the steering mounted controls are backlit which I thought is cool.

Have you seen the overhead grab handle on each corner? They have a soft spring action that lets it rest back in its position when not used. Ahem, premium, ahem! The only other car this feature was also highlighted by the sales person is a Merc C Class.

It's surprising to find the amount of baggage the little storage space can take in with all 3 rows up. On my last trip I had 3 full sized travel bags, a food bag, 2 big jackfruits, a mosquito bat and a couple of other little bags stowed into that space. If looks can be deceiving, here is one. I never like to pull down the last row so I cram as much as possible into all the space that's available. And the Ertiga has me surprised in this department.

Boy does the car love a full load! In fact, I've enjoyed my car more with a full load than with 2 or 3 on board. With 4 or more people, this is a different beast altogether. The closest analogy I could think of is a Scania Metrolink multi-axle. The MPV just hugs the road and rides like an Arabian chariot. I followed a fully loaded Ertiga on the highway just to check its road manners and I liked what I saw. From the rear, this vehicle on a full load sits on the road like Usain Bolt crouching before a take-off. The vehicle is so planted that it can earn the title "Ertiga on rails".

Here is a point which many won't agree but I don't care because I've been there and done that. Yes, I'm talking about the comfort of the last row. It's bench seating at its best with an airline like window to see the outside world. The arm-rest is so ergonomically perfect and it also serves as your bottle holder. In fact, in my family there's always a scramble for the last row. My folks just couldn't have enough of that business class like seating experience. They want more and they push, pull or do whatever to get there before anyone does. The only complain I get sometimes is when I take a bump at speed. That's when it gets a little uncomfortable but with care and caution, it can well be avoided.

The rear fog lamp is a nifty addition that turns very useful in rainy and foggy conditions. Unlike fog lamps that are integrated in the tail lamp cluster, MSIL put them way down on the bumper. Two good reasons why this is the best place:

1. When the lamp is in your tail lamp cluster, its at eye level for the rear driver and he's going to be blinded by your super bright red lamps. You can imagine the expletives he'll be mouthing at you as he passes by. Totally uncalled for! It's just that your fog lamps are in the wrong place.

2. When the fog lamp is down there, like the Ertiga, its below the eye level of the rear driver, hence won't blind him. Moreover, fog and mist usually stay way above the ground hampering visibility. The ingenious boys at MSIL know this since they eat, sleep and drive in Gurgaon, a foggy place. In foggy conditions, the rear fogs on the Ertiga will be noticed quicker than any other fog lamps because of its position. And since its at the bottom centre, it's easier to be cognizant of the car's dimensions for the following driver. In other cars, where one side of the tail lamp is a rear fog, it's easier to miss the dimensions of the car on a dark foggy night.

Regarding the clutch getting hard, I haven't experienced it in my Ertiga. But I remember in my old Swift, the clutch becomes slightly hard at very hot driving conditions. Using your rear AC will NOT hamper your mileage as it's just a cooling coil and fan there. There is one compressor which runs if you turn on the front AC and whether you turn on the rear AC or not doesn't matter with regards to mileage.
swiftdiesel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 10:10   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding your mileage, I think it's good enough given the conditions you've mentioned.
It probably is good enough in those conditions. I calculated actual F.E after doing tankful and it is almost 16. I had higher expectations (~17kmpl) because city F.E is 14ish.

Quote:
Why not buy Thule box instead of your overhead rack? Thule is a Swedish product designed keeping aerodynamics in mind. It's pear shape offers the least drag when driven at speed, translating into lesser strain on the engine and improved mileage. Our fellow Ertigan, Rajain has a Thule box on his baby and he's just back from an interstate north south corridor trip.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will check about the Thule box.

Quote:
Post 20k kms, the engine has suddenly turned extremely smooth and every time I drive I try finding out why! Partly, it could be the synthetic oil but I still cannot attribute all that smoothness to just the oil. It's not just smoothness, but the engine's extremely drivable.
Thats good to know! I still experience a bit of turbo lag (with AC ON) but it will be great if that reduces in future.

Quote:
Using your rear AC will NOT hamper your mileage as it's just a cooling coil and fan there. There is one compressor which runs if you turn on the front AC and whether you turn on the rear AC or not doesn't matter with regards to mileage.
But doesn't the cooling coil need some power to do its job? Agreed it needs less power than a full AC compressor.
Old 28th March 2013, 10:15   #1001
BHPian

I have been drooling on duster and ecosport for a long time now. But after reading the posts in this thread, the thought of Ertiga being a more practical car is growing on me. I am planning to upgrade from my Alto by this year end or early next year.
Just wondering if there is any Ertiga facelift coming up or any competitor to Ertiga from Honda/Hyundai by this year end. Also, what is the waiting period for Ertiga?
Old 28th March 2013, 13:26   #1002
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti to launch Ertiga CNG.

Quote:
The company will announce and even start rolling out a greener variant of the Ertiga within 2-3 months.
India’s largest carmaker is aiming to sell nearly 1,000-1,500 units of the Ertiga CNG every month.

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/338...rtiga-cng.aspx
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 17:13   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post

But doesn't the cooling coil need some power to do its job? Agreed it needs less power than a full AC compressor.
Compressor is driven by the engine while the cooling coil works on current. The power needed by your coil is like the electric power needed for your wipers or headlamp. Does not tax the engine like a second compressor. Innova has 2 compressors for front and rear AC.
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 11:47   #1004
BHPian

Quote:
Compressor is driven by the engine while the cooling coil works on current. The power needed by your coil is like the electric power needed for your wipers or headlamp. Does not tax the engine like a second compressor. Innova has 2 compressors for front and rear AC.
Ok. Then I guess the cooling coil loads the battery. Anyway I find the AC combination (main compressor plus this coil) does a good job in the summer heat.
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2013, 13:12   #1005
BHPian

Hi

I came back to this thread after a long time.

In the meanwhile I was looking at ownership threads and writing a TL of a long journey.

Roof Rack/Box - Swiftdiesel is right on Thule. If there is an option of Thule vs open roof rack - well go for Thule. Simple - aerodynamics, locakable, waterproof and dustproof place. After a long journey you don't even have to offload all of it at a highway hotel. Its total weight is 11 kgs and has zero wind drag. The only thing I have to remain conscious of is the height at some basement parkings.

Flexi seating - I have certainly used the flexi seating to a good advantage. Flattened out the 40:60 middle row. Had 3 seats and one long flat bed. on full stretch it is 6 feet 5 inches. That I must say helps hugely on a long journey, say a couple of thousand kms where a short nap for the driver or a siesta post lunch or family lounge plus music, rear AC and comfort is totally taken care of. In fact, late at night if no hotel is available, one can park at some fuel bunk and sleep off for some time. The flat bed combination has worked well for me. Swiftdiesel is right. That is what I had done in a recent long trip - blanket, matteress, pillow-the works.

The AC - Given that these days even Bangalore is getting 35 and Chennai is 37-38; the AC is effective. No problem at all. Here is what I do - put 4 of those sun shades, 2 on each of the middle window, run external air first, and circulate the inside air out first. Then number 2 speed of both front and middle row vents is just fine. In fact, before buying buying this was one feature I did spend some time testing. Check that post on the 13th page of this thread.

The Engine - Its a refined, rev happy oil burner. The real sweet spot is 1800 rpm onwards. It has wonderful highway behaviour with a noticable 'surge' even at 100 kmph. You will be hard pressed to make out that this is a diesel engine given the peppiness. There is hardly any noise and no noticable turbo lag upto 3-4 people. If there are 7-8 people downshifting is needed. But once the turbo spools up then its a lovely vehicle to drive.

Driving comfort - As most of you know I have done a close to 4000 kms trip in my Ertiga with a couple of days of 900 + kms of run in 1 day - I can vouch that this is a vehicle that really does not tire the driver, or for that matter the occupants. After 12-13 hours behind the wheel I was fresh. Day after day for a week I drove the vehicle during that trip with no issues at all. The ergonomics, the cabin comfort, the suspension, the noise insulation - all make up for a good and refreashing driving experience. This is at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...uv-ertiga.html

Overall Ownership Experience - Maruti gets full marks. The service standards are high. The RMs really look at issues (if any) make every effort to sort them, parts are cheap and available, the service centres are all over, hundreds and hundreds of them. The products, materials and equipment used is high quality and built to last. To me, I have a standard of rating any manufacturer - no more than 2 days at the workshop per year. The product should be so good to last me a few years. I have a Opel Sail of 2003 make. Only 4 parts changed and lasted me all these years with 192K on the odo.

Lights - I just read the discussion on lights both cluster lighting and headlamps. First on headlamps - I will say OE headlamps are pathetic. One single 55/65 is just not adequate on a dark night. So I upgraded to 90/100 Osram with a Philips relay. They fused up in a recent journey and then I moved to Philips. I have done one 5 hour night journey in Philips and they have been very good. I had done some reading on lights and posted in the auto lighting section (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3045761) Additionally, as most of you know, I also have got LightForce. I keep them covered in the city, but highway (only 4 or 6 lane ones) I certainly use them. I agree with Swiftdiesel. The cluster lighting is lovely. Just the right color and illumination. In a dark night it gives just the right effect.

Mileage - 'kitna deti hai' - I have got 560-570 kms (within city) before the low fuel warning comes in. That is roughly 16.5 to 16.75 in city with AC on all the time. In winters I was getting higher with less AC use. On the highway the low fuel warning comes around 625-640 kms if I stay at 90 kmph but I drive at 110-110 kmph and the low fuel warning comes in at 575-600 kms and so I regularly get 18.25 kmpl thereabouts. At a speed upto 90 kmph I have got 20 kmpl but that is not my standard speed. Post the low fuel warning there is still roughly 9-10 ltrs of fuel remaining considering the tank capacity is 45 by the manual. Though I will say post delivery, I was able to fill up 47 ltrs and yes I was not towed to the fuel bunk. You can say it was running on fumes!

Happy to give any inputs from my experience.

Cheers
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed