Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2013, 22:57   #916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

The 75 bhp variants use a Fixed Geometry turbo while 90 PS use a Variable Geometry Turbo (this is what I referred to as different tech). There could be more components which are different to achieve the better state of tune in 90PS variants - I don't know details of it.
Well, as far as i know, the turbocharger, ECU, injectors and few more internal components are different.
Old 5th February 2013, 23:06   #917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
But just recently noticed a very specific lining on the skirting, the rear quarter panel that runs below the doors. It is extraordinarily smooth thick coating with granulated pattern. Observe and feel it and it seems to be made for a purpose to give that extra protection from muck remaining stuck there and avoid damage due to scraping.
It is also known as anti-drumming coat. Its a dual purpose coat. Protects from underbody rust, and due to its thickness paint scraping is avoided. It also absorbs body panel vibrations to some extent.

Quote:

Do you mean to say both Punto & Vista 90 PS uses the same engine components & FGT from 75 PS version?
The 75 ps version use same block but with FGT. This engine is now only used in some Vista variants. Punto had this engine but now she uses the 90ps block which we are talking. And now Vista D90 also has this same engine.

Now only swift is remaining to get a 90ps mark
sujay bhandare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 23:18   #918
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Muck deterrent and scraping resistant lining: Don't know if anybody posted upon this already. I must have missed if somebody did highlight this. But just recently noticed a very specific lining on the skirting, the rear quarter panel that runs below the doors. It is extraordinarily smooth thick coating with granulated pattern. Observe and feel it and it seems to be made for a purpose to give that extra protection from muck remaining stuck there and avoid damage due to scraping. Quite a thing and atleast I don't remember having seen such a thing on any car. Seems like a well thought out thing.

Attachment 1047618
That is present on most cars! They say it's to prevent scratches from mud, rocks etc.
Old 5th February 2013, 23:18   #919
BHPian

Quote:

I change gears in city < 1500 rpm even, if I am alone in my swift & I can drive the car without knocking the engine. It may not work when the car is loaded.

I believe we were talking about an Ertiga which is loaded, which requires frequent gear shifts in city - am I missing something?
Thats what I wanted to say. With a loaded Ertiga, you have to go above our normal practice rpm compared to similarly loaded other vehicles.

I think even same trouble is with the Nissan Evalia. I have not tested it but there are these rumours floating in market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Friend, I would not be surprised if you came back to thsi thread complaining about a faulty turbo sometime later in the same thread.
I am sorry, but I have to say that upshifting at such a low RPM might result in improper combustion of the diesel as the turbo is not yet fully spooled up. Happen to come across this problem with my neighbours verna. He was used to a petrol car and used to upshift very early. That led to severe soot formation and clogging up of the turbo. One fistfull of soot was removed from the turbo later.
Actually its on our driving abilities. If there are turbo lags then pre-mature shifting leads to these turbo failures. But if you are saying soot was removed, then please again verify this. According to me soot is formed from oil (if the turbo is oil cooled). It is formed if the turbo is not properly cooled down. And I think verna has a internal oil cooled facility for turbo. Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 5th February 2013, 23:23   #920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujay bhandare View Post
Off topic.
And also for normal driving going till 1500 is more than sufficient. 2500 is really very large in citys.
Friend, I would not be surprised if you came back to thsi thread complaining about a faulty turbo sometime later in the same thread.
I am sorry, but I have to say that upshifting at such a low RPM might result in improper combustion of the diesel as the turbo is not yet fully spooled up. Happen to come across this problem with my neighbours verna. He was used to a petrol car and used to upshift very early. That led to severe soot formation and clogging up of the turbo. One fistfull of soot was removed from the turbo later.

Quote:
. But just recently noticed a very specific lining on the skirting, the rear quarter panel that runs below the doors. It is extraordinarily smooth thick coating with granulated pattern.

Attachment 1047618
Its there in my SX4 too. When we did the PDI of the car, I raised a cry over that. Then came to know it was done purposely to protect the panel from chipping etc.
Old 6th February 2013, 10:15   #921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujay bhandare View Post
It is also known as anti-drumming coat. Its a dual purpose coat. Protects from underbody rust, and due to its thickness paint scraping is avoided. It also absorbs body panel vibrations to some extent.
I see that this is the protective coat for the quarter panel skirting below the doors and does not extend to underbody. I think it does give that extra protection from rusting to the quarter panel skirting if in watery/wet situation.

Quote:
That is present on most cars! They say it's to prevent scratches from mud, rocks etc.
Oh, I may not have noticed on most cars. But I only observed this coat to be present in new DZire and Ertiga and not other car so far and as pointed out above on SX4. I am not sure about new Swift but I think it did not have this atleast when launched. I am sure about premium cars if they have such a coat.
Old 6th February 2013, 10:38   #922
BHPian

Quote:

I see that this is the protective coat for the quarter panel skirting below the doors and does not extend to underbody. I think it does give that extra protection from rusting to the quarter panel skirting if in watery/wet situation.
Its not just for skirting panel. All the exposed underbody panels have this coat.
The coat for underbody is mainly dedicated to the legroom area.
Old 6th February 2013, 12:05   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Noticed an interesting feature in the OEM audio on the ZDi. When I press "mute" on the steering control, it mutes the sound if some FM radio station is playing which is pretty obvious. When I press "mute" while a CD or USB track is being played, it actually pauses the track so that you don't miss your favourite song when you "un-mute" it. I always thought it just muted the sound and the track continued playing but that's not the case. I thought that was cool!
This feature was present in the OEM system on my Dzire too(and now Ertiga too)..surprised your Swift didnt have this???
Old 6th February 2013, 12:43   #924
Senior - BHPian

^^@parassoni: I had the previous gen Swift Vdi that didn't have OEM. I had installed my own player.

Just back from a whirlwind trip to Pollachi, Ooty, Masinagudi and Gudalur from Chennai and as usual the Ertiga impressed. This trip was special because I had the opportunity to drive an Innova and my Ertiga back to back and found some interesting facts.

Those who've been on the Ooty-Gudalur road to Mysore know of the treacherous Kallatty ghats. They are so steep and straight that there are warning boards along the ghats to take the stretch only in 2nd gear. Comparing Innova and Ertiga is comparing apples to oranges because Innova is great in its own right, with oodles of torque on tap although the engine isn't as free revving. Ertiga is free revving compared to Innova but low-end torque of Innova gives it a slight edge. Having said that, the perceptible difference is so minimal with 3 on board on both MPVs.

To be frank, I loved both the Innova and Ertiga and I wasn't able to put one over the other! As I said, they are great in their own right and I got to enjoy for what each had to offer. In the Kallatty ghats both the Innova and Ertiga had to be taken in 2nd gear. I drove both cars back to back on this stretch as we had some work in these places. I have a video of the drive but I have to convert it to some lower format as it's in HD.

This is the conclusion I came to - Ertiga and Innova are great in their own right and it's down to personal choice really! I'm still unable to say which is better, if you know what I mean!

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 6th February 2013 at 12:50.
swiftdiesel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 12:52   #925
BHPian

Echo with what you are saying as far as the ghat climb from Masinagudi to Ooty is concerned. It is perhaps the steepest gradient climb I have seen on a public road. I have driven quite a bit around in various mountains/hills. None of the inter city roads in Kashmir or Himachal or Uttarnchal have such a gradient. Some remote villages or monestries do have steep climb but the Masinagudi to Ooty is quite a steep climb.

I had taken Corsa Sail (4 years ago) and lately Ertiga ZDI on the same road. The Ertiga was pretty responsive and able to climb very well. Once the turbo would spool up then it really gets rewarding. I have no had the opportunity to drive an Innova up though I have driven it in the plains I felt the 400 kgs less weight of the Ertiga (over Innova) may have a slight advantage when climbing up. I am not sure if it is noticeable. Perhaps not because the low end torque of the Innova. I saw the same advantage in a Santro over Corsa sail. Both are petrol engines but Santro climbs mountain roads easily.

Having just completed a long 3800 kms drive through KA, MH, GJ and RJ, having gone through a variety of ghats I can certainly say Ertiga is a solid mountain goat.

Cheers

Last edited by Rajain : 7th February 2013 at 12:53.
Rajain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 15:24   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Folks was browsing this thread and couldn't find the info. Do we have the EURONCAP rating for the Ertiga?

Thanks
Folks - would appreciate if any of you can throw some light on my query.

Thanks.
Old 7th February 2013, 17:27   #927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post

Having just completed a long 3800 kms drive through KA, MH, GJ and RJ, having gone through a variety of ghats I can certainly say Ertiga is a solid mountain goat.

Cheers
Very eagerly looking forward to your travelogue! I think you've done the longest interstate trip in an Ertiga. A detailed travelogue would make my day! Looking forward to it, Rajain!

Quote:
Folks - would appreciate if any of you can throw some light on my query.

Thanks.
Ertiga doesn't have Euro NCAP rating because it's not targeted at the European market. Hope this answers your query.
Old 7th February 2013, 18:20   #928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Ertiga doesn't have Euro NCAP rating because it's not targeted at the European market. Hope this answers your query.
Well fine, but then do we have any information on the crash worthiness of this vehicle? Or is it safe to assume that since the new gen swift has a good EURONCAP rating, the Ertiga will be likewise?
Old 7th February 2013, 21:55   #929
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well fine, but then do we have any information on the crash worthiness of this vehicle? Or is it safe to assume that since the new gen swift has a good EURONCAP rating, the Ertiga will be likewise?
We can NOT generalise it that way. The ratings of the Swift in Europe would be much different from what is offered in India since there are lots of changes in terms of features & may be even the materials used for construction.

I believe the highest rated Swift gets 6 air-bags to start with. In India, the max offered is 2 air bags. Similarly there could be many other feature differences (all disc brakes, ESP etc).

To give you a better idea, Aria when launched was claimed to meet ALL Euro safety standards. But when they launched the 4x2 version, the ratings were not even applicable because of the changes made to the car.

Details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2454138

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th February 2013 at 22:00. Reason: Corrections done in the Aria part.
Old 8th February 2013, 11:39   #930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious

We can NOT generalise it that way. The ratings of the Swift in Europe would be much different from what is offered in India since there are lots of changes in terms of features & may be even the materials used for construction.

I believe the highest rated Swift gets 6 air-bags to start with. In India, the max offered is 2 air bags. Similarly there could be many other feature differences (all disc brakes, ESP etc).

To give you a better idea, Aria when launched was claimed to meet ALL Euro safety standards. But when they launched the 4x2 version, the ratings were not even applicable because of the changes made to the car.

Details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2454138
Well basically are we saying that we do not have any concrete information on the crash worthiness of ertiga based on any standards despite it having airbags and other security features etc?

Most Viewed