Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2012, 00:22   #826
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Same goes for Cardboard contraception.

Sorry everybody including mods, but I could not stop myself !!
Old 27th December 2012, 01:02   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Sorry everybody including mods, but I could not stop myself !!

: That was used deliberately as adjective.

Back to topic: Lxi at 6.xx Lacs ex showroom makes a strong case. With Ldi offering ABS, Maruti wants to take margins higher for Diesels.

Last edited by zalaps : 27th December 2012 at 01:05.
Old 27th December 2012, 20:12   #828
BHPian

Guys, Got my car 2 weeks back and overall the experience is good till now. Driven totally 200kms. I noticed the following

1. The car is nearly dead till 2k rpm, if i want to take the vehicle out of apartment / office basement parking ramp its a pain literally.
2. The sound system is good, plays USB flash drives, ipod with ease, however when i play music even in low volumes the rear left door panel vibrates. Could this be an issue or normal ?
3. The stock headlight bulb is not suitable even for city drives, barely lits the road, upgraded to Osram nightbreaker that i bought an year back.
4. I hear a small clunk when i stop accelarating at 5 gear from front corner, is this normal too ?
Old 28th December 2012, 22:56   #829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravigop View Post
Guys, Got my car 2 weeks back and overall the experience is good till now. Driven totally 200kms. I noticed the following

1. The car is nearly dead till 2k rpm, if i want to take the vehicle out of apartment / office basement parking ramp its a pain literally.
2. The sound system is good, plays USB flash drives, ipod with ease, however when i play music even in low volumes the rear left door panel vibrates. Could this be an issue or normal ?
3. The stock headlight bulb is not suitable even for city drives, barely lits the road, upgraded to Osram nightbreaker that i bought an year back.
4. I hear a small clunk when i stop accelarating at 5 gear from front corner, is this normal too ?
Congrats on your Ertiga..
1. True to some extent, but i never felt this as severe a problem as described by you.
2. Left door (in fact even the right rear) vibrates. You can damp the doors, should help control the rattle.
3. Upgraded the relay/wiring setup, then tried Hella bulbs, later changed to Philips 100/90w, made a big difference during night drives.
4. Have never heard this sound as you mentioned. Please get this checked.
Old 29th December 2012, 10:36   #830
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1. The car is nearly dead till 2k rpm, if i want to take the vehicle out of apartment / office basement parking ramp its a pain literally...
Do you drive at the mentioned places in 2nd gear? If so its bound to be felt like what you said. Shift to 1st gear on low speed + inclines.

Believe this is your first diesel turbo car? You will get used to the characteristics as you drive more. Outright power should be the least of the expectations from this engine.

Congrats on the car & wish you miles of happy & safe motoring.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2012, 17:12   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am hearing more and more about this. Thanks to small engine capacity, without turbo its bound to feel that way. Suggest you to stick to right rpm on a diesel. For good performance as well as fuel economy.

Off topic- this is where i love my petrol swift. 800-1000 rpm. Two to three people and still it climbs my office MLCP In third gear all the way

Sadly i might soon miss all that once i shift to diesel
Old 29th December 2012, 17:40   #832
AWD
BHPian

During the TD's I had of Ertiga, Turbo lag was very much encountered, so was the need for frequent gear changing & the engine roaring/booming insanely at high revvs. True to its UV nature, this is not an enthusiasts vehicle.
Old 30th December 2012, 12:23   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sriram Rajann View Post
Hi ! Swift Diesel ,

This is Sriram Rajann . I posted long time back on my Ertiga - Which I got delivered on 21 st April .
I saw your latest post , with the picture of your Ertiga with the front bumper crash guard .
I wanted to know if your crash guard touches / scratches the humps/speed breakers , when you go over them . The clamp that fastens the crash guard to the chasis extends downwards to about 2.5-3 inches below the chasis .

I was in Bangalore last week and one of the accessories guys in Jayanagar told me that many of the Ertiga owners were concerned about the Bumper crash guard touching and scratching the speed breakers and humps .

Do you experience this problem with your crash guard .

I wanted to know that before I get it fitted to my Ertiga . Also how much did you pay for that front crash guard and where did you buy it from - GP Road ???.. Can you give me the shop name and Price .
My Ertiga has done close to 20000 kms and is due for the 20000 service in a couple of days .

It moves like a song on the highway and turns in 18.5-19 kms /litre when driven at 90-95 .The city mileage is 17.5 now. Engine is quite free now and Dusters /Innovas and XUV"S feel the heat in the highways with ERTIGA. What a winning number Maruti has turned out for us hungry and appreciative Automobile buffs. :-)

We"ll see , if we can meet up in chennai in the near future .

Awaiting your post and latest status. Please clarify on that crash guard issue Cheers
I'm just back from a Ertiga holiday to Kodaikanal. To be honest, the vehicle exceeded my expectations! I did the same trip in my Swift last year and I'm familiar with some of the tricky inclines that the Swift struggled to go past 1st gear. In the Ertiga I tried those same inclines with 4 on board and boy it amazed me! I was able to take those same inclines comfortably in 2nd gear and I was able to change from 1st to 2nd in the midst of that tricky incline and the engine picked up. In the Swift, when I change from 1st to 2nd, it hits a flat spot and the engine never responds which I reckon is due to the FGT. The Ertiga's VGT outshines its Swift cousin in this regard.

Of course, as you mentioned, the highway performance gets better and better! I managed to smoke a few popular Japanese MPVs and a French SUV last night! Since the NVH is so good (comparing my old Swift), it's hard to realise the speed I'm doing and thanks Maruti Suzuki for that TALL 4th and 5th gear. Due to the tall 5th gear, the engine cruises singing a lullaby. Trust me, MSIL have done wonders with the gear ratios of the Ertiga. Hill and highway taken with ease.

The crash guard does not hit speed bumps or potholes. In fact in this trip I encountered a couple of challenging craters (roads are awful in Kodaikanal BTW!) and never did the crash guard scrape the ground. It had scraped a couple of times in parking lots that have an steeply inclined approach. I would say 95% the time you won't have trouble. It cost me Rs.4000 and I will PM you the details. Nice to hear you enjoying your ride! Let's catch up sometime!

P.S.: A pic from my Kodaikanal sojourn
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-dscn3190.jpg  

swiftdiesel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2012, 09:45   #834

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 13th April 2013 at 17:46.
Sriram Rajann is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st January 2013, 22:34   #835
Senior - BHPian

I've uploaded my Kodaikanal travelogue in my Ertiga in this link below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...y-express.html
Old 3rd January 2013, 23:23   #836
BHPian

Anyone aware of fuel pump issues in Ertiga. I got to know from my friend in Pune who bought Ertiga in April that his fuel pump failed prematurely and it appears MSIL had told that its am known issue with Ertigas that came in initial lot. Anyone aware of this issue.
Old 5th January 2013, 10:23   #837
Team-BHP Support

I know few of you are eying the bull-bar for your Ertiga's and few have already fitted one. Here is an interesting discussion on Team BHP itself. Please click on the link here and do read it.

Thanks
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2013, 20:55   #838
BHPian

Does anyone know when the updated Ertiga coming to market?
Also from the owners of Ertiga, how is the comfort in 2nd row especially on long journey! I drive a Altis now and have booked an Ertiga.
Old 6th January 2013, 22:31   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Does anyone know when the updated Ertiga coming to market?
Also from the owners of Ertiga, how is the comfort in 2nd row especially on long journey! I drive a Altis now and have booked an Ertiga.
With all 3 rows up it's extremely comfortable with the sliding feature and recline set up on long journeys. My family has done all day and all night journeys in it and felt relaxed through the journey. With the last row down, leg room is slightly compromised, nevertheless still comfortable.

No news regarding an update. Going by MSIL and the waiting list, not anytime soon!
Old 7th January 2013, 00:27   #840
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I've installed a corner marker on my bull bar as seen in this pic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Yes, I was advised by my friends about it, but I chose to go ahead! I'm believing those airbags remain unused for the life of the vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Not just that. Having a hit with a bull-bar fitted can impair a vehicle's chassis & structural strength severely rendering it irreparable.

Why? A bull bar more often than not is fitted/bolted on the chassis. In case of an impact (severe) it will damage the chassis, the engine & its components as it will be forced inside. A bull-bar can't take an impact. It isn't designed so.

And also it will put a question mark on airbag's sensor activation. I don't want to say as to how good or bad it looks.

The max I would advise is a nudge-guard to save the Car from nicks etc.

Thanks
I am going to reiterate what others are saying. The bull bar is actually a safety hazard and your are undoing the advantage of buying a ZDi model with airbags.

Basically any impact at the front will be channeled down via the crash guard to the chasis where it is attached resulting in airbags not deploying and no use of crumple zone. The whole monocoque is designed to crumple in the event of an accident. The effect of the crumple zone is so that you don't break your neck off and the impact is absorbed by the car not your body. Now with the bull bar, all impact will be channeled away from the front crumple zone to the bottom of the car where the bull bar is mounted and will not absorb the impact the way it is meant to. Instead huge shock may be incurred on passengers.

Any small impact in town which would usually damage your bumper will now transfer significant shock to your chasis and may cause structural damage. This may be a light scrape which will result in broken bumper only but thanks to bull bar you will be looking at structural damage to the chasis.

The last point which many people feel irrelevant and don't care about. Modern cars are designed not just for passenger safety but for pedestrian safety. By putting the bull bar your basically saying, if I hit a pedestrian atleast my bumper wont get damaged, it's ok if he dies.

Other than that point I'm also going to say what Sheel wasn't able to. That particular bull bar looks absolutely hideous on the Ertiga. A classy MUV now looks downright ugly with that monstrocity.

Sorry for the harsh words but that's a real eye sore and a major safety hazard on a car equipped with airbags. Hope you take this in the right way and get rid of it ASAP.

You can get bumper protectors and you can get that corner marker fitted with the bull bar. Infact Toyota sells corner marker for Fortuner and Innova as an official accessory.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 7th January 2013 at 00:30.
Vid6639 is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks