Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2012, 17:11   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Less is More - VW Jetta Highline MT

Congrats Ajmat. The car looks extremely pretty in that brown color. I dont recall seeing any other car in that color including even a Jetta on road till date

Interiors looks super plush and love the Audi style tail lights.

What was the OTR price and freebies, if any? Also, FE that your getting in and out of city?
Old 29th May 2012, 21:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Ajmat. The car looks super. I'm also in a dilemma between the Yeti Elegance 4x4 and the Jetta Diesel Comfortline. Planning to bid a sad farewell to my favorite Civic as its reaching 6 years age. What would you recommend between the two?
I have test driven the Yeti but not the Jetta. Was interested in knowing about the rear passenger legroom and comfort in the Jetta. Also, the GC on paper seems low. Did you have any issues with scraping the belly on load?
Old 29th May 2012, 23:00   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Also, the GC on paper seems low. Did you have any issues with scraping the belly on load?
I have had no issues except on the rare very unscientific speed breakers
Old 29th May 2012, 23:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Jetta. I have always wondered as to why would any person spend ~1.2 lakhs over the Comfortline variant for the Highline manual. Now you mentioned that you were not a fan of the alloy wheel pattern in the HL. Then what made you choose the HL. All that you get additional is 2 airbags, the 6-cd touch-screen audio system with the optical display, and the electronic seats. IMO the CL is a better package VFM wise.

I only wish to know your view point/ reasoning on this and please don't take it in any other way.
Old 30th May 2012, 11:07   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Congrats on the Jetta. I have always wondered as to why would any person spend ~1.2 lakhs over the Comfortline variant for the Highline manual. Now you mentioned that you were not a fan of the alloy wheel pattern in the HL. Then what made you choose the HL. All that you get additional is 2 airbags, the 6-cd touch-screen audio system with the optical display, and the electronic seats. IMO the CL is a better package VFM wise.

I only wish to know your view point/ reasoning on this and please don't take it in any other way.
I agree, please see my reasoning in the quote below. I was not a fan of the HL wheels in the lighter colours but it looks hot on a darker coloured car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I had the card of a salesmen in VW Downtown called Zafar whom I had met when looking at the Jetta. I called him up. He was not sure on what was available but promised a call back which he did. He rang back to say thay had a manual toffee brown Highline but no Comfortlines which are due only in May. He then told me that with expected budget trends. the Comfortline would cost almost the same as the Highline when it comes and consider stretching my budget. I groaned while stretching so got a corporate discount and floormats. All in all I paid about Rs 50000 more than if I bought a Comfortline today.

Last edited by ajmat : 30th May 2012 at 12:08.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 12:45   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My favourite diesel MT sedan

Congrats Ajit! The electronics aren't too excessive and hopefully, the long term reliability will be good. It should be better than your Octavia vRS for sure. The Jetta is one serious all-rounder and makes cars like the C Class, 3 Series & A4 look irrelevant.

My brother was sold on the Laura vRS. Told him that diesels are nearly as fast and a lot more practical. One drive and he switched. Though, his car doesn't have the awesome alloys that your Highline does. On the day we brought her home:

Less is More - VW Jetta Highline MT-20120304-16.13.24-custom.jpg
Old 30th May 2012, 19:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
how's the gearbox? the ratios? None of the showrooms offer a manual for a test drive.
Is it faster/slower/same as the vrs in terms of acceleration.
What is the manual gearbox like? How are the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears? The 4-5-6 are tall as you've mentioned.
Vrs vs Jetta - Acceleration?

And how can you not like the wheels , i can just barely manage to control my self from buying the highline over the comfortline because of the wheels, I wouldnt mind paying a bit extra for 2 air bags but 1.5 lac is a bit too much.
Old 30th May 2012, 21:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Spot the difference, same engine, one crappy box and one person 10 lakhs poorer
Congratulations on your new ride Ajmat, hope you're enjoying the beauty. Personally I love the Jetta HL Alloy's, they look too cool and the car's new design is much better that the previous version they sold IMO.

Quick one, in the above statement do you mean Audi is a cheaper / Stupid buy against a Jetta? Not sure why that would be?

Equipmentwise / Badge Value / Quality / Fit / Finish / Size ?

appreciate your views.

Cheers!
Old 30th May 2012, 21:42   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat

What I like:

1: Depth of engineering - few but well thought out features

4: Discreet, timeless looks

5: Capable, unruffled handling

6: Solid build quality

What I don't like

3: Bit too clever - electronics interfere with want you want to do occassionally

4: Dim witted stereo selection, no bluetooth

Woof! so you finally went for it eh? Well done! Wish you many excellent enjoyable miles. One of the good things in this big VW is that you can probably fit 2 or even 3 golf bags at a time laterally in its cavernous boot! Wink. Wink. Hint. Hint.
Enjoy!
Old 30th May 2012, 21:47   #25
BHPian

Congratulations, Ajmat. Lovely to see another toffee brown Jetta with those wheels. Fell in love with it the first time I saw it. You should seriously consider the bluetooth installation. It gave me a (maybe false) sense of completeness.

I've noticed quite a few Jettas in Mumbai recently, and a majority of them seem to be highline - surprising, given how they priced it.

I've also been noticing that brown seems to be a trending colour on quite a few models from small to large. The Ritzes are the most noticeable.
Old 31st May 2012, 01:20   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan1981 View Post
Quick one, in the above statement do you mean Audi is a cheaper / Stupid buy against a Jetta? Not sure why that would be?

Equipmentwise / Badge Value / Quality / Fit / Finish / Size ?

appreciate your views.

Cheers!
The Jetta has the same 140BHP engine as that of the A4 2.0 TDI. The advantage with the Jetta is that you either get a slick shifting manual box or a very smooth and quick DSG box. The A4 has a very boring and slow CVT multitronic box that kills the fun factor.

The Jetta has way more rear legroom than the A4 as well.

For 15L lesser than the A4, you get a mechanically better car that is more fun to drive.

The Audi has more features, better quality interiors but not 15L worth extra than a Jetta. The Jetta now even resembles the A4 from the rear angle especially!

The A4 is not bad but the Jetta does everything the A4 does and is more fun for 15L lesser.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 02:19   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
For 15L lesser than the A4, you get a mechanically better car that is more fun to drive.

The A4 is not bad but the Jetta does everything the A4 does and is more fun for 15L lesser.
Got it Vid6639, so we're just talking about the 2.0 TDI here and not Audi A4 overall. It Goes without saying that the 15 Lac extra on the price tag does include the badge value which IMO VW doesn't really have in comparison.

Nevertheless, i want to thank you for the clarification. The information is certainly helpful for people wanting to make a buying decision and need a product similar to an Audi A4 2.0 TDI minus the brand value and features!

My question was only because i understand pricing differences in products is based off of Badge value, features and of course the engine and it's state of tune. So basically it's a combination of all three and not just exclusively the engine / gear box in isolation.

Example the Passat which has a 170 BHP engine, DSG gear box, but still runs like a Big Boat compared to the CVT in Audi. This was the main reason of me asking the question as i've driven both the Passat and Audi and didn't really find it that thrilling in comparison even with a more powerful engine. (May be the manual transmission in Jetta?)
Old 31st May 2012, 08:44   #28
Team-BHP Support

Wow, this review came in so silently, so much like the new Jetta – discreet, understated, and elegant. Congratulations.

And good choice of colour. Silver Leaf and Toffee Brown are my favourite colour choices for the new Jetta. That said, this shade is not so photogenic IMO. Looks better in real.

Quote:
1: Not at plush as previous Jetta
When I compared with the Golf here, it looked a bit less plush, but it did look very durable.
Since you have done a TD of the Fluence, can you please help with a short comparison of the interior quality and space?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan1981 View Post
My question was only because i understand pricing differences in products is based off of Badge value, features and of course the engine and it's state of tune. So basically it's a combination of all three and not just exclusively the engine / gear box in isolation.
I guess only Audi (of the 3 German biggies) have this problem of in house comparison. But you are right Karan. As a customer you have the option to align your priorities – whether it is brand value, luxury or engine/gearbox combination. The A4 2.0 TDI with its current spec may look unreasonable when compared with a Jetta, but it’s fairly well placed when compared with its direct competition like the base Merc C-Class CDI. Cross comparison across segments can get very confusing
Old 31st May 2012, 13:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

A long overdue post from you Ajmat! Congrats! I loved the color and the acceleration that you are referring to!

sorry to hear about the bike meets car story! Has the dislodged sensor caused any issues with the parking system?
Old 31st May 2012, 21:18   #30
BHPian

Congrats Ajmat. The car looks damn good in that color. Infact, there are a couple of them near my house in the same color. I am still waiting for my comfortline, promised delivery in August. I was told by Downtown that they do have a CL in the same color as yours readily available but I am more inclined towards white. Overall, how was your experience with Downtown? I am dealing with one salesguy Karthik. Seems to be a decent chap. I just hope the govt doesnt increase the tax on diesel cars by the time of my delivery. Good luck with the car and hope you have a trouble-free experience.

Most Viewed