Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2016, 21:19   #2596

re: Review: 1st-gen Honda Amaze (2013)

Hello fellow owners,
I'd like to know if any of you are facing a peculiar overheating issue of the front wheel. I have an Amaze diesel E and ever since I have it I've seen that the front wheels heats up after even fairly long drives. Do any of you guys have the same problem?
Though it hasn't really caused any major problems till date, I am a little worried because it heats up so much that water evaporates when its sprayed on the hot wheels.
I'd really appreciate it if any of you have a solution.
Old 24th September 2016, 22:18   #2597
Senior - BHPian

Tight brake caliper that is frictioning against the rim and causing heat - get brakes adjusted / brake pads changed.

Or your wheel bearings are gone, in which case you will also hear an unpleasant noise when you drive.

Get the car checked ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshjairaj View Post
Hello fellow owners,
I'd like to know if any of you are facing a peculiar overheating issue of the front wheel. I have an Amaze diesel E and ever since I have it I've seen that the front wheels heats up after even fairly long drives. Do any of you guys have the same problem?
Though it hasn't really caused any major problems till date, I am a little worried because it heats up so much that water evaporates when its sprayed on the hot wheels.
I'd really appreciate it if any of you have a solution.
Old 24th September 2016, 22:59   #2598

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Tight brake caliper that is frictioning against the rim and causing heat - get brakes adjusted / brake pads changed.

Or your wheel bearings are gone, in which case you will also hear an unpleasant noise when you drive.

Get the car checked ASAP.
This problem was there ever since i got the car delivered in 2014. I spoke to the dealer and after much hue and cry, he got a service engineer from Honda and he came all the way to show me that this is there in other Amaze cars and its supposedly normal. And yes, i dd get the calipers changed recently. But I dont think this problem is because of that because a brand new Polo GT in the family also has the exact same problem. I believe it is because of the discs heating up due to friction. I'm just worried about the excessive heat produced which may lead to some other serious issue while on the highway.
Old 25th September 2016, 03:44   #2599

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this incident and I request the mods to move it to the appropriate thread.

What was planned to be a peaceful movie outing along the coast of ECR in prarthana drive-in theatre turned out to be a nightmare.I own a Honda amaze diesel variant that has clocked 74k kms.The car had its first visit to a car accessory shop in all of the three years of ownership as I had a practise of servicing only in the authorised dealership.I am the only one to drive the car as both my parents don't drive.New headlamps were fitted along with an ceiling mounted monitor that had its output"aux"ed to the stock audio system since I didn't want the local guys meddling with the steering controls.

The same day,I planned a 10.30p.m show in prarthana drive-In theatre with my family.All went well,till exactly at 12.00 a.m in the interval to the movie,that I discovered that the car wasn't cranking.Immediate memory of installing the powerful headlamps,coupled with the 74k kms run stock battery flickered my thought process.Cranking repeatedly provided no success.The car was coughing and troubling to get started.I was stranded at the middle of a night,with my family in a place on the outskirts of the city.I was just happy that we were atleast guarded inside the theatre premises.

My next course of action was to call Honda customer care and to my surprise,what happened in the next 90 minutes was crucial and a testimony to Honda customer support.The customer care guy asked info about my registration number,chassis number,my location and then promised to call back in 10 minutes.He later promptly called and informed that a team has been dispatched to reach my location within an hours time and asked me to sit tight.In the course of the next 1 hour,as the second part of the movie was being screened,I was called thrice by Honda customer care updating me regarding the service team's wherewittals.I was now feeling a bit relieved,yet skeptical.

The movie got completed by 1.15a.m and the security watchman in the theatre premise asked me to move my vehicle out of the theatre,whilst I told him of my ordeal,he brought an young chap and got him to try and start my car even after explaining that the battery is dead.When it was clear that the car wasn't starting,he called for his other companions and suggested them that the car be ousted from the premises as they had to follow a strict time schedule to close the theatre at the required time.This all happened,when i was stranded with my sister and my arthritis mother who cant walk for more than 100 meter without taking a break.Meanwhile thankfully I got the call from Honda roadside assistance that they were on the gates of the theatre.

Two guys in a scooty came rushing to our spot and frantically got to work.They initially thought that since our car was parked on an incline,on the ramp of the drive in theatre,there would have been an airlock due to the inclined position and low fuel,even though I reminded them that I had nearly a quarter of the fuel tank filled up.They turned over the backseat and stirred to try and release the airlock,while I was trying to start the car,but to no avail,the car was still coughing.

Then they brought out a battery and jump started the car,and voila it came back to life,and we were soo relieved.All this while,a group of 4 watchmen of the theatre kept pestering the Honda guys to speed up the repair process or tow the vehicle outside the theatre.The Honda guys gave a mouthful and explained that it is unbecoming of them to be so self centered so as to try and throw the customers out as soon as the movie is finished without any regard to their well being.

We thanked the two Honda guys,and carefully drove back home,ensuring that the vehicle doesnt stall whatsoever.I got a call at 2.45a.m from the Honda guy who helped us JumpStart the vehicle and enquired if we reached home safe.

This experience was in stark contrast to the tata customer care that I experienced 5 months back on our trip to coorg.MY uncles tata aria had its engine malfunction and abs malfunction led burning on the dashboard just in the border area of Karnataka,in chamrajnagar.We were travelling from coimbatore to coorg,via dhimbam ghats.The nearest major town was mysure,which is nearly 80kms from our location.I called the tata customer care and they asked me first whether I experienced powerloss, observed any different coloured smoke and then advised me to not drive the vehicle,while they contact the nearest tata dealer to get in touch with me and call me back.When I received no calls for 30 mins,I called them back with the provided complaint number,they informed me that since it was Sunday,the dealership at mysuru is closed and that we have no choice but to find an alternate source of transport.When I started questioning their hefty service ads,they offered to contact the tata dealership in mysuru to receive my car,and look into the problem while we had to find an alternate transport to coorg.This time too,I was with my uncles family,and we didn't take any chance with the tata dealership guys.We drove the truck along with the malfunction light all the way up to coorg,and surprisingly the light disappeared the next day,and didn't reappear for the entire trip.

This ordeal left a scary impression of customer care service of Indian car companies, and so I even contemplated the plan to send my family in an uber back home,whilst I stay with the car to repair it the next morning,due to the constant pestering of the theatre watchmen.Thankfully Honda's service saved me from a lot of difficulties.

Im not trying to glorify a particular manufacturere here,but to report my experience with both.It sure could have been the other way round for many folks.Our last car was an tata indigo that we used for five years before letting it go and I personally loved the vehicle to bits.I was upset when tata zest was launched just two months after we purchased the amaze,and constantly complained to my family every time I see an zest on road that,I should waited for two more months.I was and am a ardent fan of zest,but now I have found peace with my decision to buy the Honda after the latest ordeal and I thank the gods above for it.
PompousKnight is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 13:26   #2600
BHPian

Quote:
Shell is even better.

No appreciable difference between the sarkari companies in quality, but more than one sarkari pump might adulterate fuel so that there as well
+1, It is Shell for me too, I have been filling up Shell petrol for my Amaze AT and Shell Diesel for Mahindra Quanto for the past two and four years respectively. I am getting an FE of 13 to 15 for my Amaze AT and 18 to 20 for my quanto. Tried BP and IOC in between and FE went for a complete toss with 10 to 13 for my amaze and 12 to 16 for Quanto.
Old 30th September 2016, 14:41   #2601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshjairaj View Post
This problem was there ever since i got the car delivered in 2014. I spoke to the dealer and after much hue and cry, he got a service engineer from Honda and he came all the way to show me that this is there in other Amaze cars and its supposedly normal. And yes, i dd get the calipers changed recently.
If you drive with a heavy foot or on rough roads it heats up more. But generally it cools down within a minute or so of your stopping the car. If that is not the case then check deeper.
Old 1st October 2016, 23:47   #2602
BHPian

+ PompousKnight

I also have a similar experience with Honda roadside assistance.

I was on the way from Pune to Bangalore, was climbing the Khandala ghat (not the one on Mumbai-Pune stretch) I experienced sudden loss of power but the car regained power within a second or two & no malfunction light came up on instrument cluster. Post climbing up the ghat I stopped and examined the engine bay but didn't observe anything abnormal. I continued my journey albeit with caution and keen eye on instrument cluster. Just before Kolhapur I again experienced the same problem and this time the malfunction light came on. I called the Honda helpline and they directed to Kolhapur dealer who was also informed. My car was assigned a service bay on priority & immediately the team ran the scan to identify the cause. It came out that the exhaust oxygen sensor has failed and hence the fuel flow rate to engine was not steady. They also informed that they don't have the O2 sensor in stock as it very rarely fails. I was advised that I can proceed to Bangalore but will experience low efficiency and sudden acceleration or deceleration.

Since my family (daughter & wife) was with me, I planned to return back to Pune. The journey was uneventful. The next day I took the car to one of the ASS and requested them to help me out in the unexpected. And the team there went all out to do the needful.

And the saving grace was the "extended warranty" as I was informed that the part would cost me around 18K.
Touch wood till date apart from this issue I never have faced any other problem. And I appreciate Honda's customer care !

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2016 at 12:59. Reason: Language
distiller is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 5th October 2016, 20:39   #2603
BHPian

Update on Rogerab: after almost 1k kms driving with Rogerab on almost all kinds of roads I will ever take the car out on, I have the following observations.
1. Suspension definitely feels stiffer
2. On broken roads going faster than normal results in better ride quality
3. Improved ground clearance is the biggest gain I have felt. No scraping those huge Bengaluru speed breakers.
Overall I will say it's a compromise on ride quality for peace of mind and I can live with that :thumbup:
Mashblue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 19:02   #2604
BHPian

Can any one please post detailed pictures of the Honda amaze (1st generation) accelerator pedal connector?
Old 16th October 2016, 19:31   #2605
Senior - BHPian

Was reading through the Jazz review on tbhp and saw this. Do the jazz driver / passenger seats fit onto the Amaze floor rails + are they the same height / general dimensions?

One major pain point with the Amaze is the truly horrendous amount of neck and back pain I get even with a neck pillow, bead curtain and lumbar support pillow, on long drives.

If I'm able to get ergonomic seats fitted on this car it will be a keeper for years.

Quote:
I found the driver and passenger seats to be wide and fairly supportive. The seat squab is now angled correctly, unlike the old car's squab that was parallel to the floor. This helps a great deal with under-thigh and lumbar support. While the old car's seats feel more like chairs, the new Jazz gets proper seats into which you sink nicely. Vid6639 commented that the beige front seats in the 'V' weren't as comfortable as the black seats of the 'VX'. It's also worth noting that Honda bucks the trend when it comes to seat thickness. Most hatchbacks these days come with thin seats, but not the Jazz! These are thicker than the norm.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 20:05   #2606
BHPian

Quote:
One major pain point with the Amaze is the truly horrendous amount of neck and back pain I get even with a neck pillow, bead curtain and lumbar support pillow, on long drives.
On a lighter note there is a much cheaper and more beneficial option. Head to a gym and get fitter and you will not experience any discomfort even if you sit on a bench and drive for 500 kms.
Old 19th October 2016, 05:43   #2607
Senior - BHPian

Good idea! Except I do have nerve root compression from an old whiplash incident that, gym or not, posture or not, makes it horrendous to sit for more than three or four hours on a seat with poor lumbar support.

So - do the jazz seats fit an Amaze?
Old 26th October 2016, 18:40   #2608
Senior - BHPian

[deleted - accidentally posted a reply to a very old post, sorry]

Last edited by hserus : 26th October 2016 at 18:42.
Old 15th November 2016, 19:49   #2609
BHPian

I have bought Honda Amaze VX MT petrol in May 2015 and I have covered 10000 KMs till now without any fuss. Majority of my usage comes from highways. Hence I bought on road assistance, which is valid for four years. Please suggest whether it will be a good idea to go ahead with extended warranty for two more years (May 2017 - May 2019).

Last edited by Hickstead : 15th November 2016 at 20:10. Reason: Correction
Old 16th November 2016, 07:06   #2610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
I have bought Honda Amaze VX MT petrol in May 2015 and I have covered 10000 KMs till now without any fuss. Majority of my usage comes from highways. Hence I bought on road assistance, which is valid for four years. Please suggest whether it will be a good idea to go ahead with extended warranty for two more years (May 2017 - May 2019).
If you keep the car for long having upto a 4 year extended warranty is just fine.

It gives you roadside assistance as an added perk, highly useful if you get stranded on a highway somewhere due to a dead battery or for whatever reason.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks