Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2019, 18:59   #3721
BHPian

Re: New Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumesh_Jazz View Post
Hi All,
I am planning to upgrade from my Honda Jazz and the most likely option is the Octavia TDI Style Manual Variant.

I am in the same boat, although its the 1.4 TSI Style Variant in our short list.

In need of a capable touring machine and other vehicles on our short list are the Hexa, Harrier (subject to all niggles being ironed out, which I doubt), and the Seltos.

Currently the heart says Octavia, but the reliability of Skoda plays into mind and cannot trust the roads in new locations, and hence the SUV/MUV come into picture.

Would really like Octavia owners to give an insight and help us in our decision!
TROOPER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 23:10   #3722
BHPian

Re: New Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
I am in the same boat, although its the 1.4 TSI Style Variant in our short list.
Octavia is a car which is really hard to resist and owning one will definitely give you great excitement and satisfaction.

However my apprehension is regarding whether this car is a strict soft-roader or it can actually handle some tough/ rough roads which one can expect in atleast 20% distance of a road trip.

Another apprehension is regarding the length of the car. Though the turning radius is low at 5.2 m, would like know from users how the length of the car is affecting the ease of parking.

Thanks and regards,
Sumesh

Last edited by Vid6639 : 12th October 2019 at 00:24. Reason: fixing the quote tags
Old 12th October 2019, 08:13   #3723
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Does this mean that the Ambition/Corporate variant is no longer available?
Old 12th October 2019, 08:58   #3724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Currently the heart says Octavia, but the reliability of Skoda plays into mind and cannot trust the roads in new locations, and hence the SUV/MUV come into picture.

Would really like Octavia owners to give an insight and help us in our decision!

Well I have been using Skoda since 2010 (Laura for 5.5 years and now the Octavia) and touring on either cars was never an issue. Plenty of road trips between both the cars in northern parts of India including hill stations. And mind you my Laura was lowered to just 115mm ground clearance. The 1.4 tsi is a beautiful motor and has a very very reliable gearbox. Buy the car with the 6 year warranty and most of your concerns should be taken care of.

Quote:
Octavia is a car which is really hard to resist and owning one will definitely give you great excitement and satisfaction.

However my apprehension is regarding whether this car is a strict soft-roader or it can actually handle some tough/ rough roads which one can expect in atleast 20% distance of a road trip.

Another apprehension is regarding the length of the car. Though the turning radius is low at 5.2 m, would like know from users how the length of the car is affecting the ease of parking.

Thanks and regards,
Sumesh

The car can handle most bad patches but don't expect a sedan to handle terrains that are meant mostly for big SUVs. People have taken both the Laura and Octavia to Leh and beyond so it is a capable vehicle all right. Additionally all Skoda cars in India come with a rough road package so the entire underbody is well protected.

The turning radius is not an issue either. It's very very easy to maneuver the car and parking is also a breeze with the aids on offer.

Hope this helps.

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 10:37   #3725
BHPian

Hi,
Could anyone share their experiences on the Octavia Diesel Manual version? Searched this thread but didn't see too many articles about the manual trim.

I'm reluctant to go in for the DSG Versions and don't mind using the manual, have driven manuals all my life.
How does the TDI drive? Is it more reliable than the DSG versions?
Old 12th October 2019, 10:44   #3726
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to check in my TD - does the Octavia 1.8 TSI come with paddle shifters?
Old 12th October 2019, 11:54   #3727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almetal View Post
Hi,
Could anyone share their experiences on the Octavia Diesel Manual version? Searched this thread but didn't see too many articles about the manual trim.

I'm reluctant to go in for the DSG Versions and don't mind using the manual, have driven manuals all my life.
How does the TDI drive? Is it more reliable than the DSG versions?
The MT variant is one of the most reliable gearbox in VW kitty, unlike the DSG ones. And with 6 speed, it is fun to drive and lot of torque at low end. If you are concerned about the DSG reliability and have no qualms to driving manual, go for it, very less chance of going wrong. I have the same gearbox/engine in my Yeti and with stage 1 remap, it is a rocket!
iTNerd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 12:35   #3728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
The car can handle most bad patches but don't expect a sedan to handle terrains that are meant mostly for big SUVs.
Thank you Rohan for the reply. Your explanations have aptly addressed the concerns I had in mind.

I will be finalizing on the TDI MT shortly.

Thanks and regards

Sumesh

Last edited by Eddy : 12th October 2019 at 12:59. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 12th October 2019, 13:11   #3729
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Rohan for the reply. Your explanations have aptly addressed the concerns I had in mind.

Thanks and regards

Sumesh
6 speed DSG that comes with TDI is reliable one and I have been using this since four and half years. Believe me, apart from big 3 Germens, no other manufacturers has better option than this. I would suggest you to take a test drive of this variant and then decide.
rutvij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 13:22   #3730
Senior - BHPian

I'd like to butt in with my experience with the first gen Skoda Octavia 2005 - 2010. Was running it with stage 1 remap from 2007-2010, it was a hoot to drive. It was the 1.9 TDi running on 17" alloys. One of THE best MT cars I have driven.

Brilliant in all aspects !! The current generation with the 6 year extended warranty should be a great car.

I personally had to switch to SUV's because of my back issues, low cars don't work for me anymore. I have driven it thru water over the bumper (unavoidable), never a single issue.

Hope this helps

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ia-1-9tdi.html (Remapped Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi)

Here is the link to my ownership of the Skoda Octavia, hope it's helpful

Cheers

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th October 2019 at 13:38. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Ricky_63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 13:53   #3731
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The 2.0TDi comes with the DQ250 which is the 6 speed wet clutch DSG. This is a very reliable gearbox and seldom fails. The problematic one is the DQ200 in the 1.8TSi. So, if you are planning to go for the 2.0 TDi, I would suggest to go with the DSG version. The 2.0TDi + 6 speed DSG is a killer combination. Take a test drive and decide.
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 15:08   #3732
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The 2.0TDi comes with the DQ250 which is the 6 speed wet clutch DSG. This is a very reliable gearbox and seldom fails. The problematic one is the DQ200 in the 1.8TSi. So, if you are planning to go for the 2.0 TDi, I would suggest to go with the DSG version. The 2.0TDi + 6 speed DSG is a killer combination. Take a test drive and decide.
Only fly in the ointment is the torsion beam rear suspension which is not as agile as the independent multi link in the petrol TSI.

Having said that it's very livable unless you're an aggressive driver on mostly curvy roads. For 95% situations, it's more than capable and satisfying on Indian roads.

Go for it with eyes closed!

Last edited by itwasntme : 12th October 2019 at 15:09.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 15:11   #3733
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Only fly in the ointment is the torsion beam rear suspension which is not as agile as the independent multi link in the petrol TSI.

Having said that it's very livable unless you're an aggressive driver on mostly curvy roads. For 95% situations, it's more than capable and satisfying on Indian roads.

Go for it with eyes closed!
OT, The Jetta used to solve that shortfall, and then VW stopped production
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 16:01   #3734
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
OT, The Jetta used to solve that shortfall, and then VW stopped production
Which is why you had only tyre wear concerns and not handling-related ones
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2019, 18:17   #3735
Senior - BHPian

Guys, asking one more time as I did not get any response
"I forgot to check in my TD - does the Octavia 1.8 TSI come with paddle shifters?"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks