Manual 88 36.21%
Paddle Shifting 99 40.74%
I wont buy the Civic 56 23.05%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2006, 17:16   #61
Senior - BHPian

Hey All

So glad to read the review (in a sadistic kinda way) .. I am scheduled to buy a car next year and was feeling bad that I'd have to wait another year to acquire this beauty ..

guess my Accord AT still rules

he he ha ha ha
Old 6th July 2006, 21:29   #62
Senior - BHPian

Whenever a car is said to have a drawback, doesnt mean its not even worth a buy.

Each and every car manuactured everywhere has its pros and cons.

An exhaust doesnt fall of each and every car everytime.

So shouting from the roof about Honda's build quality would not be justice.

But the fact remains that the Car Busa drove had quality issues.

Now I am still gaga over the whole paddle shifters.(Read my sig on the cars I like in India)

So those who want to buy civic can certainly do so. Just be a bit extra careful when inspecting your car.

Do remember that civic is the largest selling model in N.America.
Old 6th July 2006, 22:05   #63
Senior - BHPian

Well....here's my two cents.

The Civic right now can be compared to only the Octavia 1.8T which is similarly priced. And its not just the power ratings, but how it delivers it in everyday conditions. And its also about build quality and comfort and safety. Now the Octy may not be all that techy compared to the Civic, but it certainly has all the stuff u would normally need, and is one damn good car. And right now, i still think that the 1.8liter 150bhp turbocharged engine will be better than the Civic's 140bhp one. And not to forget the superb handling and stability even at very high speeds.

I still haven't seen or driven a Civic here, maybe if i ever will, it could change my mind.

PS - I would have loved to see the Civic coupe' sometime, it somewhat feels much better!
Old 6th July 2006, 22:59   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
And right now, i still think that the 1.8liter 150bhp turbocharged engine will be better than the Civic's 140bhp one. And not to forget the superb handling and stability even at very high speeds.

I still haven't seen or driven a Civic here, maybe if i ever will, it could change my mind.

PS - I would have loved to see the Civic coupe' sometime, it somewhat feels much better!
1. it is not only the bhp but the HP and Torque curves as well as ride, handling, etc. that contribute to the "drivability" of a car. Even the "underpowred" 1.9TDi seem to work ok in city traffic.

2. I would also include that one must look at one's use. For example I am more comfortable in my 1996 Astra than me 2004 Octy vRS when chauffered. Why becuase no matter what i do my chauffer has not learnt to accelerate and deccelerate gently. With the Astra he is limited!

3. Please guys lets not fry it before we drive it.
Old 6th July 2006, 23:05   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Just a word of caution.

Please read any review with a teaspoon of salt. .

Unfortunately, there is too much of pepper being sprinkled and a lot of snot tossed around!
Old 6th July 2006, 23:06   #66
Senior - BHPian

Yea i agree, i shouldn't be commenting unless i drive it.

But most people buy the Octavia vRS for its brilliant performance. While the Civic is more sort of a family car i suppose. And if one buys it for that driving pleasure, why would he car about that back seat at all. Just other than the rear seat, what all flaws does it have??!!

And the Octavia 1.9TDi despite having only 90bhp can still whip a few petrol cars with almost the same figures. So its like an overall setup that determines a car..

Last edited by karthik247 : 6th July 2006 at 23:07.
Old 6th July 2006, 23:09   #67
Senior - BHPian

Civic - my take on the wipers

Busa,
That was a pretty good review and i did not feel any bias. You just compared it with a car you are familiar with and thats fine. It's upto us who read it to look out for these good and bad aspects and decide whether we would like to live with them. So good review mate!!

Now onto those wipers. I was looking at the picture of the pattern cleaned by the wipers and i'm not too sure i like it very much over the conventional layout
- the upper triangle problem is there in the conventional system as well. Cmon what do you need that part of the windshield for?..looking out for crows ****ting on your screen?..or perhaps planes overtaking you?..uh
- in the picture there is a quarter circle not covered on the bottom left and right corners which is cleaned in the conventional layout. I think that part is crucial in that you always get an idea of the clearance of your fender while overtaking or on narrow, crowded lanes. In the usual system this quarter circle is present only on the drivers side of the car.
- on both sides of the windshield is a rectangular area that is not cleaned ..which again limits visibility.

So i think my vote is with the conventional layout until you guys gimme some review to support Hondas brain wave.

Drive on!!
Shibu.
Old 6th July 2006, 23:36   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp
Busa,
That was a pretty good review and i did not feel any bias. You just compared it with a car you are familiar with and thats fine. It's upto us who read it to look out for these good and bad aspects and decide whether we would like to live with them. .
All I am saying is "Drive it before you Fry it". BUSA did drive it and he posted his opinion. My nephew tested the Civic too and was impressed (he drives a Vtec and sometimes his father's Accord V6) enough to call me and ask me to consider it for my mom (she is looking for an peppy auto).
Old 7th July 2006, 01:45   #69
Senior - BHPian

Lets call a spade a spade. The exhaust falling off shows suspect build quality. Would members be as forgiving if a brand new Optra, Octavia or God forbid, a Fiesta's exhaust fell off? No we wouldn't, we would have taken these companies to the cleaners and shouted that they are taking Indians for a ride and written full page comments on poor quality of the cars. Having said that, I am sure this was a one off incident. Maybe it was a friday evening car. Also, we can disagree with Busa's comments but calling him biased only because he didn't feel the Civic drove as well as it's competitors shows immaturity. Why force everyone to accept that the Civic is a fantastic driver's car? Come on folks, it's just a bloody Civic not a Ferrari!
Old 7th July 2006, 08:29   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Maybe it was a friday evening car.

Hehehehehe that was a good surmise man!!!
Old 7th July 2006, 10:15   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Lets call a spade a spade. The exhaust falling off shows suspect build quality. ...Also, we can disagree with Busa's comments but calling him biased only because he didn't feel the Civic drove as well as it's competitors shows immaturity. Why force everyone to accept that the Civic is a fantastic driver's car? Come on folks, it's just a bloody Civic not a Ferrari!
Sure BUSA expereince does showcase poor build quality or a a lemon or maybe just a car that was mishandled before he drove it. My family (brothers and sisters) own 6 Hondas (1 Vtec, 3 CVTs, and 1 Accord 2.4 and 1 V6) and they have all been happy with their cars. I wonder why BUSA had such a bad experience.

You have to choose based on your needs. Just like choosing between the Vtec and CVT.
Old 7th July 2006, 10:29   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would members be as forgiving if a brand new Optra, Octavia or God forbid, a Fiesta's exhaust fell off? No we wouldn't, we would have taken these companies to the cleaners and shouted that they are taking Indians for a ride and written full page comments on poor quality of the cars.
You are dead right about that though ........yes, I can just imagine the comments if that had happened LOL!!!!
Old 7th July 2006, 10:37   #73
Senior - BHPian

Well after another short test drive and second look, I am quite beginning to like it. Boot space is less as compared to NHC-2 and is bit more than my OHC. Again spec-wise, little more than corolla - 438 l vs 430. Rear tends to be bit skittish over bumps at speed, but no more or less than other cars - actually that stretch is extremely punishing and none of the rear pax complained. They actually liked the ride and seating comfort, 3 were at the back. Music system is quite decent (better be because you cannot fit anything else) and AC a freezer. Everything just feels right. Illumination of dash can be adjusted.

Engine is really buttery smooth, feels like it can keep revving past 7k, even on new car. And I thought my OHC was smooth, but this is another class altogether. Felt slight slippage in AT, but not sure whether this is true of all ATs, since I am used to manual.

But I guess the guys preferring the octys and optys will continue to prefer them and the guys preferring corolla/cedia will definitely be tempted by civic.
Old 7th July 2006, 11:01   #74
RJK
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure that from now on every Civic's exhaust is going to fall off within a day or two. Its quality is sooo bad, i can't even imagine! Really, Honda's quality has gone southwards. Take BUSA's review as a gospel and forget about this car.
Old 7th July 2006, 11:28   #75
Senior - BHPian

Hey BUSA

You are famous. you just knew how to get Half the team-bhp here and chant your name.

safely call Honda a Lemon with a Disclaimer.

Now why are things supposed to be so extreme?
A car or two turn out to be a lemon.... from each and every manufacturer. So lets stop discussin the exhaust and get our gazes on the rest of the beautiful car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks