View Poll Results: Which Version would you prefer
Manual 88 36.21%
Paddle Shifting 99 40.74%
I wont buy the Civic 56 23.05%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2006, 10:33   #106
Senior - BHPian

I earlier posted that Civic horn is pathetic. Just now while reading the broucher I saw - Dual Horn as feature... Has any one checked this?

Also I saw Green Tint as a feature, what does this mean?
Old 11th July 2006, 11:36   #107

@ST - Good review.

I have been browsing t-bhp for some time now and quite happy with the gyan being dished out here.

I test drove the civic (MT) here in Bangalore last week and have to agree with most points you have noted. Wasn't a long drive but was impressed with the car's handling, much better than the corolla's. One thing I did notice on getting in the car was that the dash is way too huge, needs getting used to. Someone has mentioned this ealier also.
As far as head room in the front is concerned, I felt its quite adequate since I'm 6' and even with the seat raised was not uncomfy.. though I prefer low seating.
Another thing I felt was that on sudden throttle in 2nd gear, response was a bit delayed ..maybe half a second or so but the delay is perceptible. Could be becoz the car was new ..dunno.
Braking as everyone mentions can defi be improved... though didn't have the opportunity to drive above 70 Kmph.
Loved the typical Honda engine whine between 3500 rpm to about 6500 rpm ..gives the impression of subdued power ...

Am still deciding about whether or not to go for the civic as the price is a little daunting for me .. but thats a separate topic. On the whole .. liked the car...exteriors are definitely good .. interiors can be better .. wasn't impressed much with the plasticky door and roof cloth ...
Old 11th July 2006, 11:49   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
Yes, I do believe dealers are claiming long waiting list now. But again hype or reality?
Well today's ET does mention 1500 bookings already. Game on !
The rest of the pack are wooing customers like mad .. Deals on Corolla, Optras 1.6 Elite being advertised for 7.24 L ex showroom , Cedia Select version launched at 9.09 L, ..
Old 11th July 2006, 11:59   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackoid
Another thing I felt was that on sudden throttle in 2nd gear, response was a bit delayed ..maybe half a second or so but the delay is perceptible. Could be becoz the car was new ..dunno.
Was this in the MT ? Maybe the AT would be smoother in power delivery in this case.
No offence to the Civic, but my Indica petrol had the same problem in 2nd gear .. and it can get really frustrating in city traffic ..
Old 11th July 2006, 12:15   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
The rest of the pack are wooing customers like mad .. Deals on Corolla, Optras 1.6 Elite being advertised for 7.24 L ex showroom , Cedia Select version launched at 9.09 L, ..
Yeah, noticed the flurry of deals offered by the competition - a classic case of setting the cat among the pigeons. Not that these tactics will have any serious effect.
BTW, @shuvc, you are spot on with the Cedia and the Corrola. But the Optra 1.6 does not deserve to be "part of the pack" - it belongs with the NHCs, Balenos, Fiesta1.6, Aveo 1.6 etc. The Optra1.8 can stake a claim, though.
Old 11th July 2006, 12:17   #111

Yup, was on the MT. I deliberately wanted to check this as it can get quite irritating when you want to pass someone and you feel the delay. I used to get this in my zen but got it fixed post some engine tuning. That's why I feel that it could just be a case of new car and might disappear after 1st service. One more thing I forgot to mention was that I simply love the speedo in the line of vision ... does not obstruct road view at all and overall looks cool
Old 11th July 2006, 12:24   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Was this in the MT ? Maybe the AT would be smoother in power delivery in this case.
No offence to the Civic, but my Indica petrol had the same problem in 2nd gear .. and it can get really frustrating in city traffic ..
Yes, the lag is there in the MT. This is because of the fly by wire technology - I wonder if this happens on planes too... electronic throttle.

What happens in the AT is the usual AT lag so you do not feel the difference between electronic throttle lag and AT lag as you do in the MT. Several reviewers actually liked the AT / paddle shift as a package more than the manual and actually got better FE in the AT! Though with our conditions, it is quite doubtful, unless one whips the MT while doodling around in the AT.

I checked the front seat/roof distance - it is actually very very adequate. With the seat height up all the way, I presume a 6' driver may just feel odd, but then he would be looking at the sun visor. A tall driver would have to lower the seat. Being used to ohc (sort of sitting on top of the car as it were) I initially pushed the seat all the way up, but found the middle setting most suitable. There is a good amount of leeway for adjustment.

I agree with supremebaleno - doubt any of these offers are going to have any dampener.

I read somewhere that their annual target is only 2,500 cars. If so, 1,500 bookings in first week will create a serious waiting list all over again!?

Edit: Actually I quite liked the cabin very much - very open, wide and airy. I am not going to put any claustrophobic film. Let the green tint do it's job. If in June on hot sunny day the AC is cold enough, things are adequate on the climate. Funny how people put dark film on windows and then spend 50-100k on sunroof...

Last edited by sandeep108 : 11th July 2006 at 12:28.
Old 11th July 2006, 12:29   #113

Totally : Was browsing the honda website and noticed that on the page where they detail the head and tail lights for the civic, the text and pics are interchanged. Under the headlight text is a pic of the tail light and vice versa... and so are the captions for the two .. hehe !! Rush job on the website maybe... still not expected of name like Honda

Have a look @ http://www.hondacarsindia.com/civic/...Taillight.html
Old 11th July 2006, 12:31   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
I earlier posted that Civic horn is pathetic. Just now while reading the broucher I saw - Dual Horn as feature... Has any one checked this?

Also I saw Green Tint as a feature, what does this mean?
Dual tinny horns=still puny. Still love my ohc horn.
The glass is tinted green to restrict heat. But it is a very light tint. e.g. Swift glass is not much tinted at all.
Old 11th July 2006, 12:35   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The cost of accessories are quite scandalous, but then again, it comes pretty much loaded so no need for much except the anti-corrosion/teflon/mats, etc. bits. I only feel honda could have upped the price a bit - by about 10-15k - and provided fog lamps. Anybody - especially in Delhi - who wants them will definitely think about alternatives since as accessories, set of rear and front are 30k+. But then one can always simply put in taiwanese/chinese stuff for 5k - even dealers will offer. Well maybe in next model upgrade in 6-12 months we will see HID/fogs as standard for total 20k+
Sandeep, I can understand that you are keen on buying this car but IMHO, its scandalous not to have fog lamps and leather upholstery in a car of this category that is being much touted as THE CAR TO OWN. I mean fog lamps are hardly to be considered as accessories in this day and age. They should have given them at this price, its a rip-off on Honda's part
Old 11th July 2006, 13:04   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I read somewhere that their annual target is only 2,500 cars. If so, 1,500 bookings in first week will create a serious waiting list all over again!?
Nah .. the annual target was around 12000-15000 ..
and they have 1500 in 5/6 days .. will surely ease off , but will equally surely exceed their annual targets.

Tuff times ahead for the Cedia. They badly need a spruced up sports version (not the current sports) with a more powerful engine and sundry goodies .. on the flip side, for 1L extra one can get a Cedia instead of a City VTec !

Corolla will have to take the beating till Toyota launches it's answer to the Civic .. Toyota now has a benchmark and the new Corolla should be some car .. maybe in 2008

Optra 1.6 .. well there is always a segment which will go by size and presence. You get a car as big at 65% of the price .. it will make sense to some.

The only possible competition in the times ahead IMO could be the new Elantra CRDi packed with features .. but then the Elantra brand has already taken a beating .. it'll be an uphill task to build it.
Old 11th July 2006, 13:29   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Sandeep, I can understand that you are keen on buying this car but IMHO, its scandalous not to have fog lamps and leather upholstery in a car of this category that is being much touted as THE CAR TO OWN. I mean fog lamps are hardly to be considered as accessories in this day and age. They should have given them at this price, its a rip-off on Honda's part
I never had fog lamps on my ohc. Since 6 months I have been driving a swift with them and have put them on once or twice. I agree, they should have given them, but if they are not there, does not mean I am going to buy the corolla/octy. As I have said in my earlier post, honda has completely benched the civic against the corolla. Even prices are set looking at current dealer discount on corolla (at least before launch). If I go for leather version of corolla and audio on steering, it is 80k+ diff. (see prices of H3/H4). For this I can get leather / fog lamps anyway.

Take a drive and see. This car simply 'feels' just right for the driver.

Octy RS may have been perhaps my first choice, but after hearing enough horror stories about high maintenance cost and dealer rip-offs....
Old 11th July 2006, 14:37   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I have said in my earlier post, honda has completely benched the civic against the corolla. Even prices are set looking at current dealer discount on corolla (at least before launch). If I go for leather version of corolla and audio on steering, it is 80k+ diff. (see prices of H3/H4). For this I can get leather / fog lamps anyway.
The first launch in recent times in this price band where fog lamps are not being offered. Whether or not you can buy them for the price difference is a debatable issue and brings on another Toyota vs Honda discussion as far as the price difference itself is concerned........I think its silly having accessories that do not come as standard fitment on at least one of the variants.

Also, your using fog lamps just twice in six months does not eliminate the need in other parts of the country so............
Old 11th July 2006, 15:41   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
The first launch in recent times in this price band where fog lamps are not being offered. Whether or not you can buy them for the price difference is a debatable issue and brings on another Toyota vs Honda discussion as far as the price difference itself is concerned........I think its silly having accessories that do not come as standard fitment on at least one of the variants.

Also, your using fog lamps just twice in six months does not eliminate the need in other parts of the country so............
I do agree and I also said that I am sure in future variants they may provide. But then do you want mfr. to provide accessories that can be easily fitted aftermarket?

See recent trend in trying to load accessories is also not right. e.g. look at increasing music systems coming as oem fitment, including civic, corolla, aveo, srv, etc. Reduce the price by 15-20k and allow one to use system of one's choice. With such huge variety of foreign quality brands, you get restricted to clarion/alpine/blaupunkt or whatever flavour of the year - all decent, but not great.
Old 11th July 2006, 16:48   #120
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to add rating to my review...
I would rate Civic as 8/10

chopped 1 point for Poor ABS, Narrow tyres and Alloys (lack of 16"s)
another 1 point for no Sunroof, Leather, Fog Lamps & Lumbar support.

To be fair, let's understand that every mfg does a new launch with some known shortcomings (though not significant), and as the model ages, they use these to refresh the dating looks. Honda is known to have a mid life cycle revisions (known as MMC), which is exactly what City has recently gone thru.

Also let's also understand that Corolla or Octavia today, are more loaded than what they were initially launched with.

IMO, Civic has no significant shortcomings, and the points listed around are only nitpickings. Over all it is a very good PRACTICAL package at very good price point and that is what will make it sell.

Compared to rest of the segment...
ABS - as good or as bad as others, over all braking stability much better than Corolla
Narrow tyres & Alloys - 195 with 15" is the standard in the segment, but Civic could have set a new benchmark
Sunroof - Not sure how many people want it, with too much hassle after 2 yrs, related to rattling and leaking, and it costs anywhere above 35k

Leather, Fog Lamps - are they really big deal?
Look at it practically, if I take leather from Corolla, I pay them around 35k extra for it. Here I can have the same Stanley Leather from after market at 25k, with my choice of colours, leather, design, finish, etc....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks