Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2015, 02:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!

Hello BHPians this is my first ownership review so kindly excuse/point me out if any mistakes are made

Lets directly get to the point, a car needed for myself driving mostly alone or with one passenger and occasionally with family (When XUV is at the service center) had set some criteria's which had to be ticked in order to go ahead with the purchase and they were as follows,

Criteria to meet :

Sedan
Fun to drive
Petrol/Diesel
Feature rich
Mod Friendly
Budget upto 25 lacs or a bit more
Back seat comfort (For parents, spoilt with the amount of space in XUV )

These all were the main criteria's I was looking for, Since the budget was till 25lac I was looking for a car around that cost itself, and hence the following cars were considered and here are my impressions over them,

Cars considered :

Chevy Cruze : Looks great, loaded with features (LTZ), Fun to drive (Not much in the corners but still ) the dealer was offering discounts of upto 60k, BUT the space at the back was cramped and that could not be ignored. It was a big letdown, considering the car is very well equipped and priced well lower than the Jetta and Octavia.

Hyundai Elantra : Looks great, Feature rich, but really wasn't fun to drive against its rivals, Dint take a decision yet on the car, started looking at other options as well. I would have probably gone for Elantra if the car would have been chauffeur driven.

Skoda Octavia : Loved the car the moment I saw her at the dealership near BKC Kurla, even though it was a test drive car, was really keen on getting race blue colour. But then the sales guy started pushing me for the superb even though I mentioned clearly I was looking for the Octavia. He clearly said, "Saar 8 months waiting on any colour any variant, can be delayed even further and Saar please don't expect a delivery date at least for 2 months after making the booking amount", No test drive was offered saying all slots are booked even though the showroom was empty at that moment, left the showroom and promised myself not to return back here anytime soon.

VW Jetta 2014 : One call is all it took at the VW downtown showroom at prabhadevi and there I was taking a test drive of the car near my place at BKC, to top it all the test drive car was in the new colour i.e. tempest metallic blue, highline TDI DSG, As soon as I sat in the car that thud of the door closing was really satisfying, made me feeling like sitting in a tank, interiors are really not flashy like for say as the Cruze but it does the job really well and the built quality is really good, the test drive was around 10kms all at bkc, give it a few short bursts and was impressed the way the power is delivered, loved the DRL's, and Xenon's etc. Ended up paying the booking amount the next day but for the manual version, more on it later.

VW Jetta Highline TDI Manual It Is!

Selection of Variant
I always believe in buying a car which is loaded with features, For instance, if I had a budget of 10lac's I would buy a fully loaded hatchback instead of a poorly equipped sedan. When it comes to Jetta I loved the Atlanta alloys, DRL's Bixenon's Etc so had to opt for the Manual Highline.

Booking Experience and Discounts
After paying the booking amount the car would be delivered in 2 weeks time and within that period rest of the amount had to be paid.
Discounts offered
1 Lac Cash + Free Zero Depreciation Insurance.

On Road price came down to nearly 20,75,000 INR Approx.

They hardly had a few units left and hence the heavy discounts, I knew a facelift was nearby but knowing Volkswagen it had to be majorly cosmetic and hence decided to go ahead with the deal.
Apart from this nothing else to be said everything went pretty smooth.
I did not go at the stock yard for the PDI, the sales person was kind enough to do it for me and gave the assurance for everything to be perfectly fine, Well I too was going really busy those days so skipped it.

Extended Warranty
Its available for the Jetta but I did not opt for it yet, Since I have planned a few mods which will anyways void the warranty and VW anyways isn't very honest for warranty claims.

Fancy Number Selection
Wanted a choice number for my car this time, Went to the MH 03 office myself at Worli, it was the first time for me, I reached the place at 1pm and I was told to select a number from a big Lcd screen in a room which were currently available, Wanted 7777 at first but since it wasn't available at the moment decided to get 7778, have to mention all the staff were really helpful in the whole process, might also be because I was the only one there who wasn't a broker. Also if you need a choice number, I suggest you guys to go to the registration office yourself since it will save the cut of the broker as well the dealer. It's hardly a half hour process and will save a good amount of money as well.

Delivery Day :
After many sleepless nights the day had finally come, I was all prepared, Would check the car before taking the delivery at the showroom itself, thanks to Team-BHP again for the PDI list, everything was perfect.
My dad asked me to drive the car for the first time even though I insisted him to do it, and well those first few kilometers were amazing to say the least, the sheer built quality, refinement of the engine, smooth gear shifts everything was just spot on, drove that whole day and night
I opted for the manual version for several reasons, well the first being I love manuals (its more engaging to drive), A remap was always at the back of my mind for some more power, and any chances of issues with DSG with remap well I just dint want to take.

Usage Pattern :
Since our business requires lot of field work, Visiting factory's in different states etc, Driving on highway and in the city is 50-50 and it has been a joy to use the Jetta for both the highway and the city. Jetta can be enjoyed completely only on the highway though, Specially the route from Mumbai to Nasik, Which includes good amount of curves and straight road as well.

An Unfortunate Incident.
While driving in the narrow lanes in Bandra, at a speed just around 10kmph a sharp edge of something near a lamppost hit my tyre and the result is as seen in the pic, I had driven the car just around 5000kms at that point of time. The guy at the tyre repair shop insisted I get a tube inside the tyre and then I can use it as a spare tyre. It won't be really a good idea guys isn't it?

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-img_20141014_193151466.jpg

The car has been with me for about 8months, And the first year servicing at 15k was recently done.

Likes And Dislikes

Slick manual shifts
Built quality
Xenons with DRL's, headlamp washers
Bending lights
Superb handling and high speed stability
Back seat comfort
Mod friendly
Tempest metallic blue
6 Airbags,ESP,Hill Hold etc
Atlanta alloys

Dislikes
After sales service is pathetic
Beige Interiors, Really tough to maintain
8 Speakers aren't really that great, Would rate them 7/10 Overall
Total of 8 Airbag would have been great
No memory seats
No Auto dimming side mirrors
Would have loved coloured MFD Like the Passat (Can live without it though)
No Sunroof
No ESP off button
No TPMS
No Navigation
No auto folding side mirrors
Quality of rear AC vents is really bad (Will break easily)
No Aluminum pedals

Wait the list for dislikes is longer?
Yes its longer, So why did I buy it? I knew most of the things in my dislike list before buying the car. Jetta is a driver's car, you just have to be in driving seat to enjoy this car and you'll have a wide grin pasted on your face till the time you're driving it. It's the main reason I bought the Jetta, comparing it with the XUV 500 in terms of driving pleasure, both just cannot be compared side by side, Xuv 500 is more like a family car with goodies to keep everyone in the car happy, good amount of power on tap for the driver, acre's of space for the front and second row passengers and now even a sunroof for the kids and when it comes to the Jetta is all about the person driving it and the only thing the passengers are left to do is to get scared every time the person driving is redlining the jet.

Initial Expressions till the 1st year servicing/15000 Kms.
The car is a joy to drive, being a diesel the fuel average shown on the MID is sometimes hard to believe, I would have loved a bit more pull in the 3rd gear but no complains its always in the powerband and really free revving as well. I have enjoyed the car more driving around the corners than in a straight line, for instance, Driving the car on kasara ghat in Nasik in a Jetta is too much fun and during the monsoon it becomes even better.

How does she look?
Just One Word, Elegant ! Specially in the tempest metallic blue colour. The side profile view is the best one I feel, Also because I love the Atlanta alloys. The rear shows how perfect the stance of the car is, and for some reason I love the tail lamps on the 2014 Jetta instead of the newer 2015 Jetta's.

Driving Position
12 way driver's power seats helps in finding the best position regardless of one's height or built, but it's a huge pain to set it every time once someone else drives the car, Memory seats are sorely missed.

AC
Works well but not as good as the XUV, Jetta takes some time cooling the cabin during the day time but currently Jetta does not have any window tints, on the other hand XUV has 3M tints all over, so that may play a part in cooling the xuv much quicker. But don't get me wrong, AC is great overall and love the MAX AC button which I really miss in the XUV.

Music System :
Comes with a RCD 510 with 6 CD changer, SD card slot, AUX, bluetooth, 8 speakers sounds pretty good, but could have been better for a car costing 20lacs, plus who uses a 6 CD changer? Instead of that Navigation would have been much useful. Got a iPhone Lightning cable with the car which is connected in the glovebox must say the phone charges really quick and also music streaming via media in is also really good.

Engine, Driving in city & Highway
2 TDI Engine is very well known for its performance and economy both, the engine feels just so much more refined and rev friendly than my XUV500 (though New age XUV is even better) Even though xuv's engine is quite refined according to diesel standards but Jetta TDi at times feels like a turbo petrol until you take it past 3000 rpm where the engine note does make you realize that your driving a diesel car. Driving the car in city is effortless, with the light steering at low speeds it's easy to move around in the city traffic with the slick manual gearbox. But this car is meant for the highways, the way the car masks the speed is amazing, It has been mentioned many times in several threads on Team-BHP itself, that in Jetta 100kph feels like 60kph and it is indeed very true.

So okay, the car is quick, has great stability but what about safety?

Safety
6 airbags, ESP, EBD, etc and Solid built quality makes you feel really safe in the car, you know the car will respond the way you want it to and when you want it to, gives you an added peace of mind.

Brakes
Simply outstanding, a slight tap on the brake is all is needed to bring the car back to your desired speed, no matter if you're doing 60 kph or 120 kph the brakes always works the same way, you can always be sure of stopping before you hit the car in front but the scary part is, there won't be another Jetta behind you every time as well.

Fuel Average
The car returns about 12kmpl in moderate traffic, With figures reaching around 15kmpl in light traffic at speeds less than 60kph, on the highway in the many trips I have done to Pune, Lonavala, Surat etc the mid was always showing figure's upwards of 18kpl, haven't really tried the tank full method though, the best I have achieved was 23kpl. Another thing I have noticed is the gear shift indicator is programmed to extract the best fuel efficiency it seems.

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-img_0059.jpg

Comfort & Space
I had already driven my other car XUV500 for almost 60000kms when I bought the Jetta, means I was very used to the spacious interiors and space in the xuv 500, Being a low sedan it's difficult to get in and out from the driver's seat but apart from that the space is just enough to be at ease all the time, Specially at the backseat which is really comfortable, I have noticed another thing is that anyone sitting behind tends to fall asleep really quick, Or maybe most of them are really tired, Then a few turbo pulls to wake them up is fun

NVH levels
Engine noise is really silent at low rpm's but is fairly audible towards the mid range and keeps on increasing upto the redline but never it is unbearable.
Wind noise is hardly felt, Noise from the tyres are on the higher side though.

Ground Clearance
With 4 adults on board the car's belly has never touched any part of the ground at anytime, so well I am happy with that. It really reminds me of my previous car (SX4) since it too had a massive ground clearance for a sedan.

Suspension
Brilliant, At 30PSi with me alone or one more passenger the ride is really comfortable and the car takes the potholes and unevenness of the road really well, This thing which is the biggest downside of the xuv where you can literally bounce from one place to another while going over bumps/potholes at low speeds.

Interior Fit & Finish
Most of the materials used are really top notch and feel really premium, Leather wrapped steering, Gear knob and handbrake too feels really good to hold, though quality of plastic near the window switches on all the 4 door's aren't of the same quality and is downgraded. Also rear AC vents seem to be really sensitive and can literally break if handled a little harshly, Front AC vents looks and feels much better and durable.

Steering
Leather wrapped steering feels really good to hold, Buttons for MID and telephone can be used really easily also the cruise control stalk can be used easily without moving the hands from the steering much. Steering feedback is strictly average though.

Its Fast Its safe but is it practical?
Well actually it is. Can comfortably fit 4 adults plus a child and 510 liter boot can eat up lots of luggage as well. Airport pickup's and drop hence is never an issue, though being a low slung sedan it's a tad difficult to get in and out and this can also be blamed to my other car (XUV 500) where getting in and out is really easy!

Mods Done Till now (Aftermarket)
Boot lip Spoiler
Roof lip Spoiler
Chrome Window trims
Rear sunshade (From eBay, regret installing it, has developed rattling noises will soon remove it)
A pair of cover for the steering controls
Magnetic sunshades for all 4 windows
Front fog lamps chrome cover

Modifications planned..
Self Parking 2.0
ESP Off button (Have the package, yet to install it)
Dynavin Headunit
Racechip pro 2/Racedynamics/Remap (Yet to decide)
Michelin Pilot sports 3 (225/50/16)

Tweaks Done Via VCDS.
Needle sweep/Indicator celebration
Lane change blinkers to 5
Activate fog lamps while engaging reverse gear
Refuel information on MID
Rain closing, Option to check/Uncheck on MID as well.
TSC to strong
Bluetooth connection chime

Niggles/Issues faced.
Spare key never worked (the red light never blinks)
Rattling noise from the dashboard near the ac vents (char char type)

Following is the Service Experience at VV Cottongreen,Mumbai.

Ill rate them 1/10 For my experience.

If I would have to select one word for the service center it would be "Horrible"

The car was given to the service center for the 15000Kms servicing along with 2 other issues that were, Spare key not working and rattling noise from the dashboard.

Took them 3 days to get the servicing done, Spare key and rattling noise issue's where completely ignored even though I had mentioned about it several times. Car was returned back to me with a broken AC vent, Dirty back seat and a broken left hand side passenger window switch. Switch and AC vent was changed under warranty which also took them a few days to do so, I had to get the interior washing done from outside to remove the black stains. In all my car was at the service center for more than 10 days just for the yearly servicing and two other issues which till date is present.

Final Verdict :
Am I happy with my purchase? Oh yes the product is amazing and most of it is because of the way it drives. If you're looking for a fun to drive car, the new Octavia and Jetta both will satisfy your need easily, Infect Octavia will provide you with even more goodies as well but tough luck for me I had a hard time even trying to get a test drive for it.
Am I happy with the After sales and VW ? Not at all, Service centers have people who don't know that Polo,vento and Jetta does not come with TPMS.

Please enjoy the few pics posted in the next post.

Please note : Pictures were always taken with the help of a passenger and a selfie stick, Please drive safe and always buckle up!

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-2c404ec41089485b865a8e1572991b6dba424659961c4d46acb28caf23ed3a62.jpg

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-94b62862bc790af369698f4e28dc9262.jpg

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-98dfaf62e1f54d4bb0b1ac6df8f1d1b675209cc888dc4f8e9df48b8dc16668c0.jpg

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-10616488_10203800886236290_1252016852227939803_n.jpg

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-99837689ecc148fcaf7807d3046899139d0f5e6f3cac4862a75c7e5b7d1023c6.jpg

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-ffca1c6fd4db2d001de2e91e644f8425.jpg

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-img_6458.jpg

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-img_2067.jpg

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-img_1687.jpg

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-img_2080.jpg

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-fullsizerender-2.jpg

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-c6026260dfef47e59446d01a790b25b785fc7c4944274396a5c1c4ef4b07b2d9.jpg

Any Request/Suggestions/Questions always welcomed.

Last edited by GTO : 19th June 2015 at 15:08. Reason: Adding pics to the opening post :)
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 15:09   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue EDIT : Now with Self parking & More.

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 17:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue EDIT : Now with Self parking & More.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Hello BHPians this is my first ownership review so kindly excuse/point me out if any mistakes are made
Belated congratulations Tanveer for buying a good car. Liked the color too. Wish you happy and safe motoring.

Quote:
An Unfortunate Incident.
While driving in the narrow lanes in Bandra, at a speed just around 10kmph a sharp edge of something near a lamppost hit my tyre and the result is as seen in the pic, I had driven the car just around 5000kms at that point of time. The guy at the tyre repair shop insisted I get a tube inside the tyre and then I can use it as a spare tyre. It won't be really a good idea guys isn't it?
Tanveer, that damage appears to be on the sidewall. I will suggest that this tyre shall not even be used as spare. It is unfortunate to have such a damage in a new car, but keep a better tyre (maybe secondhand tyre in good condition, if a new one is too costly)
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 19:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Belated congratulations Tanveer for buying a good car. Liked the color too. Wish you happy and safe motoring.

Thank you very much

Tanveer, that damage appears to be on the sidewall. I will suggest that this tyre shall not even be used as spare. It is unfortunate to have such a damage in a new car, but keep a better tyre (maybe secondhand tyre in good condition, if a new one is too costly)
Yes the damage was on the sidewall, Exactly my thoughts, ill probably get second hand tyre soon.
Old 6th July 2015, 11:19   #5
BHPian

Hearty Congratulations Tanveer!! Lovely choice of color. Wishing you miles of safety and joy.
Old 6th July 2015, 14:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Hearty Congratulations Tanveer!! Lovely choice of color. Wishing you miles of safety and joy.
Thank you very much! Yes i was too blown away with the color the first day i saw her.

Also can fellow jetta owners please confirm if VW has made a checkup at every 6 months compulsory? I received a call from the service center saying i need to get the car checked every 6 months or 7500kms and the yearly servicing stays the same at 15000 kms or 1 year. Previously it was just the yearly servicing i guess.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 16:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much! Yes i was too blown away with the color the first day i saw her.

Also can fellow jetta owners please confirm if VW has made a checkup at every 6 months compulsory? I received a call from the service center saying i need to get the car checked every 6 months or 7500kms and the yearly servicing stays the same at 15000 kms or 1 year. Previously it was just the yearly servicing i guess.

This is not a mandatory check up. It's advised by VW as a precautionary check up. I advise not to skip it.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 19:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
This is not a mandatory check up. It's advised by VW as a precautionary check up. I advise not to skip it.
Thank you, I was curious just because the lady on the phone was forcing me to take an appointment right away and by saying its an important checkup.

On the other hand, A Sad Update on the Jetta,
After i started the car today afternoon i noticed the outside temperature was not displayed, I was curious but decided to move on, After a while the AC stopped throwing out cool air if the temperature was set above 20, And finally after a while the check engine light lit up. Calledup the service center and booked an appointment for tomorrow. Everything was fine after i had parked the car last night after driving about 100 km.

Attaching a pic as well.
My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-img_1150.jpg

I hope its not a big issue. I had planned for a long drive the day after with the jetta, Might have to cancel it now or take the New age xuv
Old 19th August 2015, 19:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

A Small update on the car.
Tried installing the ESP off switch today at WagenWerkz, Everything went smoothly apart from the fact we ignored we had to even code the ABS module after installing it, And that's were everything fell apart. Have to say jatin was very helpful throughout the process, I have ordered the ESP off switch and the harness again this time from Aliexpress, Will get it installed then.

Apart from this, Jet is going to be a year old this 22nd of the month, Planning to take it for a polishing, New mats, Window flims and custom body kits aswell, And then will come the remap and pilot sports 3. Any suggestions on the mats would be helpful.
Old 19th December 2015, 00:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

re: My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now with Self parking & more

It was nearly when i had crossed 20k kms on the ODO when i got the itch to modify my jet a bit, Wanted to specially fill up those empty button slots near the gear lever

1. New pedals

Got these from aliexpress, Fits well, Not only does it look good, Using the brake and clutch pedal feels really grippy now, Totally worth it.

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-pedals.jpg

2. ESP (ASR) Off switch

One has to actually need to experience how much power the esp cuts off while taking off from a standstill ! Its fun launching the car once a while with the ASR off, Deactivating it also helps while driving on a beach, Got it from aliexpress too, Installation was simple, The wire goes into the ABS control module pin number 9 and power is taken from the cigarette lighter, 2014 + Models need coding the ABS module as well for it to get working.

Bold values have been changed.
A14B400C49240003850B02E7921E0041A1180022

Only the bold values have to be changed and is needed for the ESP switch to be activated, Once done you also get a notification on the MFD when its activated and deactivated, Also shows the yellow esp light when its deactivated.

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-asr-activated.jpg
My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-asr-deactivated.jpg

3. New can gateway. (AN Version)

Got it for from aliexpress again for a dirt cheap price, My current can gateway was the "AK" version which doesn't support the fatigue recognition, Or the 360 OPS, I wanted both and hence got it, Installation was simple, Can gateway was located above the clutch pedal, Swapped it with the New AN version, Copy pasted the coding, But the most important thing is ticking all the boxes in the installation list from the previous can gateway, Hence i had taken pictures and ticked all the boxes in the installation list, Activated driver alert and it was all set. Scan showed no fault code and everything is working as it should.

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-new-can-gateway.jpg
My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-driver-alert.jpg

4. Self parking (PLA 2.0)

This was the most exciting one, Got the kit from aliexpress (Obviously) Since i have the highline version, Which already has 8 sensors, a compatible ESP and MFD i just had to add 4 more sensors, Replace the 2 rear ABS sensors and replace the Park assist module, Sounds simple eh? Well not really! Locating the park assist control module was a pain, Even VW said its in the boot but it wasn't, Looked everywhere and found it behind the instrument cluster and to access it the whole dashboard had to be removed

Installation:
There are a couple of instruction manuals available online for the pla 2.0 install, Also a diagram which clearly shows where would all the wiring go. I was at wagenwerks for this install everything seemed to go well until the car was put back together and switched on, All sorts of error lights came up (As expected) Which did not even go away after some coding! Feeling helpless i contacted AVS tuning here in Mumbai, Since i know the guy personally, I told him everything and he agreed to help me out, He had the car for 2 days and he got everything fixed, There was also a wiring problem so he had to again open up the whole dashboard plus the front and rear bumpers! But gladly they got the work done for me and the system works like a charm.

They also activated the 360 OPS for me, But unfortunately they must have missed checking some wiring because of which i do not get any sound alerts if any object is next to the car, Can only see it on the screen, And also a couple of rattles from the dashboard, I hope they will fix it for me soon.

Would rate AVS tuning 9/10 for their work, Surely it costed me a bomb to rectify all the problem and get the kit working but well worth the price.

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-switches.jpg
My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-360-ops.jpg
The old and the New Module.
My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-old-new-pla-module.jpg

Had taken a rough video,

Was at the mall for some work and decided to give the car polish, though unsure of the outcome the price at which i was offered was pretty mouthwatering, Went ahead with it and i can easily say it was just worth the price i paid.

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-after-polish.jpg

Rain closing a very nifty feature which helped me save my interiors a couple of times during the last monsoon.

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-rain-closing.jpg

A big thank you to bhpain blackwasp and ajaypjayaraj for their inputs!
Also to AVS tuning for coming to the rescue and fixing everything for me at priority.
Also to wagenwerks for trying.

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 19th December 2015 at 00:35.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 01:21   #11
BHPian

Quote:
It was nearly when i had crossed 20k kms on the ODO when i got the itch to modify my jet a bit, Wanted to specially fill up those empty button slots near the gear lever
Can you please share the links of everything that you have bought ? I read it in VW Jetta manual about starting the Jetta with maximum acceleration. It was something like - Switch off the ESP and raise the RPM to 3200 and then remove the brakes. Something like that is in the manual. See if you can try it. I am out otherwise I would have looked for it.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th December 2015 at 11:29. Reason: Please avoid quoting a long post as it inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks.
Old 19th December 2015, 01:30   #12
BHPian

Hi there Tanveer. Even though I'm late to the party, congratulations for your Jetta buddy, infact a mini Passat . Those are some cool modifications which have been done by you buddy. The Jetta really needs an ESP off switch to exploit its full capabilities. Just have a small doubt regarding this, will the ESP kick back in if it detects the car is being driven in an unsafe manner? And the Automatic parking is uber cool buddy. May I know the total cost that was incurred for these cool modifications buddy and if I'm not wrong, your car's warranty is void right because of these modifications? Anyways buddy, have a great motoring ahead with the Jetta .
Aniruthan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 14:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

re: My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
Can you please share the links of everything that you have bought ? I read it in VW Jetta manual about starting the Jetta with maximum acceleration. It was something like - Switch off the ESP and raise the RPM to 3200 and then remove the brakes. Something like that is in the manual. See if you can try it. I am out otherwise I would have looked for it.
Hello, Surely will post the links as soon as possible, In a bit of travelling. I haven't read the manual frankly, So i don't really know whats mentioned in the manual, But any which ways, Switching off the ESP and then flooring the pedal from the standstill surely atlas "feels" fast, Even though i haven't done any 0- 60 or 0-100 timings yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruthan View Post
Hi there Tanveer. Even though I'm late to the party, congratulations for your Jetta buddy, infact a mini Passat . Those are some cool modifications which have been done by you buddy. The Jetta really needs an ESP off switch to exploit its full capabilities. Just have a small doubt regarding this, will the ESP kick back in if it detects the car is being driven in an unsafe manner? And the Automatic parking is uber cool buddy. May I know the total cost that was incurred for these cool modifications buddy and if I'm not wrong, your car's warranty is void right because of these modifications? Anyways buddy, have a great motoring ahead with the Jetta .
Hello! Thanks bro, Indeed my first choice was the passat but no dealers had any stock with them so had to suffice with the mini passat, ESP off switch only deactivates the ASR, So yes the ESP will still kick in if it detects the car is going out of control.

Surely automatic parking is a party trick and everyone seen it now has totally fallen in love with it, I will mention the costs soon with the links from where i had purchased the products. About the warranty, I don't expect VW to honour any warranty frankly, (Past experiences) And life is too short to think about warranty concerns, Just want to enjoy the car and hope for the best.
Old 22nd December 2015, 21:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, Surely will post the links as soon as possible, In a bit of travelling. I haven't read the manual frankly, So i don't really know whats mentioned in the manual, But any which ways, Switching off the ESP and then flooring the pedal from the standstill surely atlas "feels" fast, Even though i haven't done any 0- 60 or 0-100 timings yet.
I have ordered the Vag Com wire, ESP off, TPMS switch from Aliexpress. I am wondering why you did not buy the TPMS switch ? It doesn't need any sensors in the tire valves and work with the help of ABS sensors. You anyways had to open that part for the ESP switch.

What are your views on fatigue detection ? Feel any difference ? Can you please explain how does the 360 OPS works with the same existing sensors ? I have added the required gateway to my wishlist already.

I have a highline having 8 sensors already. The packages being sold on Aliexpress include a lot of sensors too, thus hiking its price. Getting confused between the options. Some help on that is required.

Last edited by Metallicar : 22nd December 2015 at 21:59.
Old 22nd December 2015, 23:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
I have ordered the Vag Com wire, ESP off, TPMS switch from Aliexpress. I am wondering why you did not buy the TPMS switch ? It doesn't need any sensors in the tire valves and work with the help of ABS sensors. You anyways had to open that part for the ESP switch.
I wanted to order the TPMS switch too, But for some reason TPMS is not getting activated for me, I have tried several ways but it just won't work, Even though i have the compatible ESP, So till i am not able to activate the TPMS there is no point getting the switch, But will surely get it once the TPMS starts working for me.

Quote:
What are your views on fatigue detection ? Feel any difference ? Can you please explain how does the 360 OPS works with the same existing sensors ? I have added the required gateway to my wishlist already.
Fatigue detection, Haven't had a chance yet to take the jet for a long highway trip, but several users over the net had reported that its not easy to fool the system, And for many it actually detected fatigue when the driver was about to fall asleep, It also throws a chime overtime if you drive continuously for over 4 or 6 hours i think. 360 OPS will work if you have a compatible gateway and also the additional 4 sensors which are required for pla 2.0, Its very useful since it covers the total car even from the sides and shows on the OPS screen when you engage the reverse or hit the parking switch.

Quote:
I have a highline having 8 sensors already. The packages being sold on Aliexpress include a lot of sensors too, thus hiking its price. Getting confused between the options. Some help on that is required.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/OEM-V...357539497.html

You need to get the 189 $ one, Which comes with 4 sensors.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks