Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2016, 02:07   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
Every time reverse is engaged, the front parking sensor gets activated as well which seems to be normal. However, once we slot it to D, the front parking sensor stays on and we have to turn it off manually which I personally feel is annoying. Is this by design? If so, is there anyway to change this?
TIA
Hey, Yes the front sensors remain ON and its indeed by design since how would the car know if your still un parking your car from the front? 25 kph is the default speed after which it automatically shuts, You can reduce the speed to 5 kph or 10 kph or so with the help of VCD's.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 03:53   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
The sensors (front & rear) should automatically switch-off after driving straight ahead for some distance or upon crossing a certain speed. If this does not happen on its own, then I guess you should get it checked at VW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Hey, Yes the front sensors remain ON and its indeed by design since how would the car know if your still un parking your car from the front? 25 kph is the default speed after which it automatically shuts, You can reduce the speed to 5 kph or 10 kph or so with the help of VCD's.
Thank you for the information. Haven't tried till 25Kmph as we have started turning it off the moment we slot it to D. Will give a try this weekend and update here
Astonite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 01:17   #138
BHPian

A sad incident happened on New Year's Eve, someone stole my car's Licence Plate lights (complete assemblies).

Discovered this when I was getting in my car for office in the morning. Will call up VW and find out when can I get a new pair installed.

I still can't understand why would someone steal licence plate lights

Last edited by maglev : 3rd January 2017 at 01:18.
maglev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2017, 21:24   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
A sad incident happened on New Year's Eve, someone stole my car's Licence Plate lights (complete assemblies).

Discovered this when I was getting in my car for office in the morning. Will call up VW and find out when can I get a new pair installed.

I still can't understand why would someone steal licence plate lights
What? Where was the car parked? And was it left unattended for a longer period of time? Licence plate with complete assemblies is simply

I did not know they could be taken out soo easily from the outside!

Edit : Also the car was remapped today! Will post impressions soon.

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 3rd January 2017 at 21:26. Reason: Adding content.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 14:42   #140
BHPian

Quote:
What? Where was the car parked? And was it left unattended for a longer period of time? Licence plate with complete assemblies is simply

I did not know they could be taken out soo easily from the outside!

Edit : Also the car was remapped today! Will post impressions soon.

The car was parked in the common parking lot of my locality, and the thieves also stole the rear view mirror of an E-Class parked next to my car. I had parked on Saturday afternoon (new year's eve), and got in to drive on Monday morning and the errors/warning lights showed up.

My car had factory fit LED license plate lights, and VW Gurgaon is quoting INR 3,500 per unit, with a delivery timeline of 5-6 days. I'm trying to find genuine OEM replacement lights online, will also try the local markets - Palika Bhawan and Khan Market.

Posting a pic for reference.

Additionally, eagerly waiting for your post remap experience, I hope its equally positive on the MT version as well.
Attached Thumbnails
My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-jetta.jpg  

Last edited by maglev : 4th January 2017 at 14:45.
maglev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 01:27   #141
Senior - BHPian

PETES TUNED!

Me along with bhpian iliketurtles (Jetta TDI) & Ajays (BMW E90) decided to go in for the remap together, Went to the petes dealer and dropped off the car, We were asked to wait till the evening, If the ECU can be unlocked at the dealer itself we would get the car back the same day, But do good things happen soo effortlessly no right? ECU could not be unlocked and hence it had to be shipped to Cochin, Which means Transit time would be 1 week! We had no option but to go ahead with it since we had already dropped our car there,

Fast Forward 1 week : All 3 ECU's were back, But unfortunately for me, My car wasn't starting up, And so my ECU had to be sent back again! The other 2 car's started fine and they had a smile on their face.

Fast forward Another week : My ECU was again back, But even this time it was a failed attempt, My car wouldn't start! I was frustrated and took the car anyways, I called up Kiirus to see if they are available and ready to remap my car the same day to which they happily agreed, From Pete's i directly dropped down to kiirrus and they started to remap via OBD! I agreed to pay their usual amount as well, To my horror even they could not remap my car via OBD and told me it would take them a couple of days to check regarding to why it wasn't happening.

I left from there and as soon as i reached home, I got a call from Peter him self who explained to me how rare he finds my car to be and that it did not happen even after 2 attempts, He assured me he wanted to remap my car and said Vinu would be coming down to Mumbai after 2 weeks and he would be able to remap the car in a couple of hours there itself, I was very convinced to how peter was sounding and i also appreciated his attempt to solve the issue from his part

I had to wait a couple of more weeks (Thankfully with the car now atleast) It was honestly pretty exhausting, The petes dealer in Mumbai is located at one of Mumbai's most busiest area, It would take more than an hour and half to reach there and again an hour and half to reach back home to my place, And i had to do this in total 5 times!

Fast Forward 2 weeks : The day was finally here, Dropped the car off a day before in the night to avoid having to face the day time traffic on that route again, And the next day got a call saying the car is ready! Finally i was excited, But then again one last trip in the taxi and in dense traffic was between me and the car.

Test Drive After the Remap : Took the wheels, Started the car, All seems normal, Waited for the car to heat up completely and then we started to find some empty stretch, Found one and i nailed the car in first gear and man, The amount of wheel spin was simply huge and the traction control light was continuosly up, And then the 2nd gear and i floored it again and what i see is the traction control light was still blinking all the way upto 4000 RPM! Indeed i have done 33,000 KMS on my stock tyres but they still do have around 10k left in them, Now yes i knew what the car has transformed into, What i wanted to check was how is the in gear acceleration, This is what matters more to me than the 0-100 timing of the car, And damm she flies and keeps building speed in every gear very quickly, There is no major push in the seat but enough for you to know your sitting in something which is a bit maniac now, What i love is down shifting from 4th to 3rd or 5th to 4th, Even though there is no need to as regardless of the RPM it takes just a slight nudge to the accelerator and the car shoots forward, But the downshifting just makes driving the car even more enjoyable.

Verdict : For 14250 + Taxes as their Christmas offer, it was ABSOLUTELY worth it, The heck even now when their remaps cost 20,000 INR i would gladly give my another car to them also in the future, It was worth the wait and trouble i had to go through, Kudos to Pete's for not giving up on my car and staying firm they would be able to pull it off and indeed they did and damm its like driving a whole new car all over again, Pete's says 190 BHP and 400 NM Torque, After driving the car i really don't feel like doubting their claim, But well maybe a dyno might give us some actual gains but a two wheel dyno is of any use for the jetta?? I might just keep the car for a couple of more months before i upgrade, Maybe i might even get tempted to put some better shows ASAP to enjoy the remap completely... Lets see..Nothing is decided yet..

I will try and post some In-gear acceleration videos soon,
Also Bhpian Mission_PGPX was at Petes to get his Jetta remapped as well, It seems he enjoyed the drive back to Ahmedabad after getting his car mapped, Sharing a nice picture clicked by him of my car, Till next time perhaps with some videos, CIAO !

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-img_2323.jpg
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 09:20   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Verdict : For 14250 + Taxes as their Christmas offer, it was ABSOLUTELY worth it, The heck even now when their remaps cost 20,000 INR i would gladly give my another car to them also in the future, It was worth the wait and trouble i had to go through, Kudos to Pete's for not giving up on my car and staying firm they would be able to pull it off and indeed they did and damm its like driving a whole new car all over again, Pete's says 190 BHP and 400 NM Torque, After driving the car i really don't feel like doubting their claim, But well maybe a dyno might give us some actual gains but a two wheel dyno is of any use for the jetta?? I might just keep the car for a couple of more months before i upgrade, Maybe i might even get tempted to put some better shows ASAP to enjoy the remap completely... Lets see..Nothing is decided yet..
Congratulations Tanveer, on the remap. Enjoy the new beast!

After reading yours, iliketurtles' and Mission_PGPX reviews of the performance post the VW software update and post remap, I am very much tempted to go for the remap. However, I am still going to try if I can have the workshop not to update the software in April when I leave the car for service. If this happens, I can then remap the car after 4 years, so that I get a mid-life refresh to the car.

Quote:
PETES TUNED!

Fast Forward 1 week : All 3 ECU's were back, But unfortunately for me, My car wasn't starting up, And so my ECU had to be sent back again! The other 2 car's started fine and they had a smile on their face.

Fast forward Another week : My ECU was again back, But even this time it was a failed attempt, My car wouldn't start! I was frustrated and took the car anyways, I called up Kiirus to see if they are available and ready to remap my car the same day to which they happily agreed, From Pete's i directly dropped down to kiirrus and they started to remap via OBD! I agreed to pay their usual amount as well, To my horror even they could not remap my car via OBD and told me it would take them a couple of days to check regarding to why it wasn't happening.

I left from there and as soon as i reached home, I got a call from Peter him self who explained to me how rare he finds my car to be and that it did not happen even after 2 attempts, He assured me he wanted to remap my car and said Vinu would be coming down to Mumbai after 2 weeks and he would be able to remap the car in a couple of hours there itself, I was very convinced to how peter was sounding and i also appreciated his attempt to solve the issue from his part
Great perseverance from you there! And great support from Pete's!

Any idea why there was a problem with your ECU? Was it a different ECU than iliketurtles and Mission_PGPX? Also when you say "My car wouldn't start! I was frustrated and took the car anyways", would the car not start with the new map, but they flashed the old map back so that you could drive the car?

I am a little worried with this bad experience of yours, and a little hesitant to get my car remapped! Hopefully, yours was a one off incident!

Last edited by graaja : 6th January 2017 at 09:33.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 09:29   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the remap and good to see that you are finally happy. Also, great support from Pete's.

Quote:
My ECU was again back, But even this time it was a failed attempt, My car wouldn't start
I did not understand this part buddy. You have said that car wouldn't start with tuned ECU. Then, how did you manage to drive down to Kiirus? Did Mumbai Pete's revert you back to stock map and started the car? If so, how did they flash the stock map..bench or OBD?

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 6th January 2017 at 09:30.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 15:00   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Congratulations Tanveer, on the remap. Enjoy the new beast!
Thanks bro, Indeed the car is a beast to drive.

Quote:
After reading yours, iliketurtles' and Mission_PGPX reviews of the performance post the VW software update and post remap, I am very much tempted to go for the remap. However, I am still going to try if I can have the workshop not to update the software in April when I leave the car for service. If this happens, I can then remap the car after 4 years, so that I get a mid-life refresh to the car.
Trust me its worth it, Chetan has been using his car which was remapped from petes for more than a year now and he is pretty happy with it, No issue's post remap, And after driving my car i can totally vouch the map is really good, When you do it is totally upto when you feel is the right time, But yeah get your car updated (Rather detuned) And then get the car remapped.

Quote:
Great perseverance from you there! And great support from Pete's!
Indeed, Was really happy to see how Pete's from Cochin handled all this.

Quote:
Any idea why there was a problem with your ECU?
The immobiliser of my car was kicking in when trying to start the car post remap.

Quote:
Was it a different ECU than iliketurtles and Mission_PGPX? Also when you say "My car wouldn't start! I was frustrated and took the car anyways", would the car not start with the new map, but they flashed the old map back so that you could drive the car?
Indeed there was a slight difference, Yes once the car did not start, They simply reverted to the stock map and the car started with no issues.

Quote:
I am a little worried with this bad experience of yours, and a little hesitant to get my car remapped! Hopefully, yours was a one off incident!
According to Peter, My incident was like 1 in a 100 case that he comes across, & i don't doubt them specially when iliketurtles Jetta was remapped in one go, Coming to pete's itself they have done like tons and tons of VAG car's so there is no reason to doubt them i feel, And now for 20,000 INR its TOTALLY worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Congrats on the remap and good to see that you are finally happy. Also, great support from Pete's.
Thank you, Indeed i am pretty happy and i have a smile on my face every time i am driving it.

Quote:
I did not understand this part buddy. You have said that car wouldn't start with tuned ECU. Then, how did you manage to drive down to Kiirus? Did Mumbai Pete's revert you back to stock map and started the car? If so, how did they flash the stock map..bench or OBD?
My bad for not being specific there, Yes since the car was not starting with the remapped ECU, The ECU was just reverted back to stock form and the car started with no issues, They had to remove the ECU so it had to be a bench and not via OBD.
Old 6th January 2017, 15:01   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea why there was a problem with your ECU? Was it a different ECU than iliketurtles and Mission_PGPX? Also when you say "My car wouldn't start! I was frustrated and took the car anyways", would the car not start with the new map, but they flashed the old map back so that you could drive the car?
Quote:
I did not understand this part buddy. You have said that car wouldn't start with tuned ECU. Then, how did you manage to drive down to Kiirus? Did Mumbai Pete's revert you back to stock map and started the car?
It was exactly that; the car wasn’t firing up with the new ECU (the immobilizer might have been kicking in) and so Pete’s had to restore the 140 BHP stock map, after which the car fired up and he went off to Kiirus.

Quote:
If so, how did they flash the stock map..bench or OBD?
I don’t believe that Pete’s uses the OBD to flash the map.

Quote:
I believe it was, because I haven’t heard of an issue like this happening at all, and it was mystifying when we first heard of it, all the more since mine went off without a hitch. Don’t fear the unknown, take a great big leap into it, I’m 100% certain you’ll come out smiling on the other side.

Quote:
I am still going to try if I can have the workshop not to update the software in April when I leave the car for service. If this happens, I can then remap the car after 4 years, so that I get a mid-life refresh to the car.
My 2 cents; let the update get done and get the remap done soon after it. Don’t suffer any heartburn trying to avoid the update. Any reason to get those power figures upped, really.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 15:09   #146
BHPian

Quote:

Don't worry about it, it's a one off case. I got my CL Jetta remapped and man the acceleration feels close to my 3. Its worth getting it done for 16K.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2017, 19:54   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Don't worry about it, it's a one off case. I got my CL Jetta remapped and man the acceleration feels close to my 3. Its worth getting it done for 16K.
Indeed it feels very close to a 3 series now, Which also makes the 3 series surely not an "Upgrade" from the jetta, Finding a right upgrade from the jetta just got a bit more tougher now.
Old 9th January 2017, 10:23   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Indeed it feels very close to a 3 series now, Which also makes the 3 series surely not an "Upgrade" from the jetta, Finding a right upgrade from the jetta just got a bit more tougher now.
I know what you mean; the purest upgrade from our machines now are a proper 6 cylinder machines. I don't think any other 4 cylinder cars will excite us any more.

Enjoy the drive mate, in case you are around, let's catch up in the evening at BKC for some sunset shoot.
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 12:27   #149
BHPian

Quote:
PETES TUNED!
Mate, congratulations on the re-tune. Your patience during the remap process finally paid off. Enjoy the even more powerful beast
Quote:

Graaja, if you can convince your SA not to update the software, it won't happen. My Jetta spent the entire day at the workshop couple of weeks back for break pads replacement/ complimentary interior cleaning and they spared my car from the software (so called) update upon my request.

Last edited by bhavik.1991 : 9th January 2017 at 12:29.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 14:13   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
I know what you mean; the purest upgrade from our machines now are a proper 6 cylinder machines. I don't think any other 4 cylinder cars will excite us any more.
Exactly, Only the 6 Cylinder one's would be able to give us the kick we would want after driving these tuned 4 cylinders, Choices are pretty narrow with the 6 cylinders and 530d would surely come out on top.

Quote:
Enjoy the drive mate, in case you are around, let's catch up in the evening at BKC for some sunset shoot.
Done, See you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
Mate, congratulations on the re-tune. Your patience during the remap process finally paid off. Enjoy the even more powerful beast
Thanks man, Yes the efforts which had to be put in has totally being paid off, Worth driving the car and i am finding reasons to go out for a drive.

Most Viewed