Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2017, 00:27   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
My car has factory fit parking sensors (4 each front & back), along with a button to manually switch the system on/off.
If your RCD 510 Shows the OPS, it will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Yes, the update is "VOLUNTARY". But, for some reason in future if service guys have to plug in their diagnostic tool..what about the update?? I am not sure how it is being calibrated. At times, the device would auto update before running the scan. Please get it confirmed.
AFAIK, The update is Mandatory, VW will keep bugging you till you don't get your car updated with them and its been stored in their system, I too wanted to opt out of the update but my friendly SA said, If not today, The next time you send your car here again they will update it even without asking you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Hi tanveer, Thanks for giving me that push to come down to mumbai.
Always a pleasure man, I knew it would be worth it.

Quote:
your opinion on below thing, did you also observe similar behavior?
Quote:
That thing called shudder:
I mentioned this in my first review post remap, in 5th and 6th gear. Today i wanted to see exactly what happens here. So i check the speed, 100 kmph, 6th gear, rpm around 1500 and then i floored the pedal. The car shudders exactly between 1700-1800 rpm and then flies. What i can make out is that the torque delivery is the reason. Entire 380 or 400 NM torque is released at 1750 rpm, which the gearbox or wheels can not handle and takes its own time till 1800 rpm and then starts flying.

Can someone come out with a right reasons for the same? Is this behavior expected or should the president be worried?
Yup! Don't worry that's common, I have faced it too several times on the highway when i was lazy to shift down and wanted a quick overtake, I have felt it too, Only in the 6th gear though, Exactly how you said, A little bit of shudder and then she flies, Though i expected this to be gone after the remap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
So Basically, i dont need to worry about this behavior. Petes said it will take about 1000 kms for the ECU to re-calibrate based on my driving style. I can expect such behavior until then. They say, its a self learning ECU. damn, these germans . The machines learn by themselves and we have to go to schools.
Yes give it some time, Let the car settle in, Try doing this again though after a couple of more thousands kms, See if it still happens, Ill try doing the same and post here.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2017, 01:06   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
If your RCD 510 Shows the OPS, it will work......
My car is the Comfort-Line variant, and it came equipped with a factory fit RCD 320 system.

The parking sensors only beep, there isn't any visual display.

Given these circumstances, how do I check if an RCD 330 will or will not display OPS markings.
Old 13th January 2017, 15:16   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
My car is the Comfort-Line variant, and it came equipped with a factory fit RCD 320 system.

The parking sensors only beep, there isn't any visual display.

Given these circumstances, how do I check if an RCD 330 will or will not display OPS markings.
AFAIK, It should work, But confirm again from the seller where your getting the RCD 330 just to be sure, Since 330 is a pretty new right now, There is very little information available about it.
Old 22nd February 2017, 23:08   #169
Senior - BHPian

Got the 45k Servicing done, ODO was at 34k only but since almost a year was up got it done with bill coming around 18k plus another 3k to get my interior cleaned by 3M Germ free, Car is driving like a dream and is a total highway beast after the remapa, I still don't feel like letting her go..

Some pictures,

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-screen-shot-20170222-11.03.16-pm.png

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-screen-shot-20170222-11.03.44-pm.png

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-screen-shot-20170222-11.05.59-pm.png

I won't be changing the tyres, Since i feel the upgrade is very near, Perhaps ill just go with a 3 series and then remap it? Or even the GT ? Or A6 3TDI ? 530D with BSI ? Seems very difficult to narrow it down to one, Let's see what does the destiny has in store for me..
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 09:17   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Got the 45k Servicing done, ODO was at 34k only but since almost a year was up got it done with bill coming around 18k plus another 3k to get my interior cleaned by 3M Germ free
Isn't 18K little high for a regular 45K service? Or are there some extra works done? Just wanted to know for my information as I am looking for an used Jetta as my next purchase.
Old 27th February 2017, 13:53   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Isn't 18K little high for a regular 45K service? Or are there some extra works done? Just wanted to know for my information as I am looking for an used Jetta as my next purchase.
I was charged, 1.2k for the AC disinfection and couple of more such stupid minor charges, This service too can be easily done for around 15k.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 13:58   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was charged, 1.2k for the AC disinfection and couple of more such stupid minor charges, This service too can be easily done for around 15k.
Tanveer sir, in your opinion, which so called customary checks by the service centre should I oblige to and which ones should I reject for the car.

I agree that a/c disinfectant is not worth the price paid and i have also noticed that many owners have ended up with broken a/c vents post this. Is there anything else I should ask them not to do for the car? The only check I think is worth it is the suspension greasing and wheel alignment.

Regards,
vishy
Old 27th February 2017, 14:04   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got the 45k Servicing done, ODO was at 34k only but since almost a year was up got it done with bill coming around 18k plus another 3k to get my interior cleaned by 3M Germ free, Car is driving like a dream and is a total highway beast after the remapa, I still don't feel like letting her go..
Hi Tanveer. Just wanted a clarity on the remap. Did the remap not get erased after the service?
Old 27th February 2017, 14:08   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi Tanveer. Just wanted a clarity on the remap. Did the remap not get erased after the service?
No sir. He had the car remapped after the dieselgate recall was done on his car if I am not wrong.

Volkswagen won't touch your car once you get the recall done and it gets stored in their database irrespective of what map your car is actually running post recall.

regards,
vishy
Old 27th February 2017, 15:26   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Unfortunately, the visit was inconclusive. Reason = VW's smart software fraud detects the car is on a dyno (as the rear wheels are stationary) and drops into 'cheat' mode. This has been reported internationally too. A 4-wheel dyno would solve this, but the only publicly accessible dynos are 2-wheel ones.
I have documented this in a different thread, but thought it would be relevant in this thread as well.

I recently downloaded and tested an Android App called PerfExpert that performs dyno using the accelerometer in the cell phone and car data keyed in by the user. Below is the result I got for my stock Jetta.

My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!-jetta-2.0-tdi-dsg-2017.02.17-04.24.05.png

As this is done while the car is on the run, the cheat software woud not have kicked in.

When time comes for my Jetta to be taken for the 3rd year service and when VW would definitely do the software update, I will do several dyno runs before and after software update and post the results.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 15:41   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
No sir. He had the car remapped after the dieselgate recall was done on his car if I am not wrong.

Volkswagen won't touch your car once you get the recall done and it gets stored in their database irrespective of what map your car is actually running post recall.

regards,
vishy
Hi vishy. I don't understand. Why would VW not touch your car post recall? I believe that VW would scan your car every time you send it for a service? During this time would they not identify the remap and possibly reset it to stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I have documented this in a different thread, but thought it would be relevant in this thread as well.

I recently downloaded and tested an Android App called PerfExpert that performs dyno using the accelerometer in the cell phone and car data keyed in by the user. Below is the result I got for my stock Jetta.

As this is done while the car is on the run, the cheat software woud not have kicked in.

When time comes for my Jetta to be taken for the 3rd year service and when VW would definitely do the software update, I will do several dyno runs before and after software update and post the results.
Very interesting. I think this will be the closest we can get to knowing whether there is a change/drop in performance post recall. The app is available for iOS also. I will download it and test it on my Jetta which has been updated with the new software.

Last edited by Epic : 27th February 2017 at 15:51.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 15:44   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi vishy. I don't understand. Why would VW not touch your car post recall? I believe that VW would scan your car every time you send it for a service? During this time would they not identify the remap and possibly reset it to stock?
That's exactly what I thought would happen but it seems that you can remap the car once your recall is done. Tanveer sir has also clarified the same before. It might sound strange but hey, I am not complaining at all. The end benefit goes to the owner himself.
Old 27th February 2017, 15:55   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is my understanding: Scanning the ECU for map would be a different process which would not be part of regular service. So, once the car gets flagged in the data base as updated, they will not perform the ECU update anymore, and the remap will not be affected.

Quote:
Very interesting. I think this will be the closest we can get to knowing whether there is a change/drop in performance post recall. The app is available for iOS also. I will download it and test it on my Jetta which has been updated with the new software.
Yes. Even if the dyno does not provide very accurate absolute data, it will give a very good relative data to understand how the performance is affected post update.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 16:04   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
That's exactly what I thought would happen but it seems that you can remap the car once your recall is done. Tanveer sir has also clarified the same before. It might sound strange but hey, I am not complaining at all. The end benefit goes to the owner himself.
Quote:
This is my understanding: Scanning the ECU for map would be a different process which would not be part of regular service. So, once the car gets flagged in the data base as updated, they will not perform the ECU update anymore, and the remap will not be affected.
Fair enough. Not that I found any negative difference in my car post update but was considering a remap just for kicks. But then was wondering what would happen during service. But fair enough if the software is not scanned during service. However, in the event VW comes up with another software update for the Jetta; then what happens? They would probably wipe off the remap and update the software, right?

Quote:
Yes. Even if the dyno does not provide very accurate absolute data, it will give a very good relative data to understand how the performance is affected post update.
Yes correct. Atleast we will know if there is actually a negative difference or whether we were just being paranoid
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 16:38   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
However, in the event VW comes up with another software update for the Jetta; then what happens? They would probably wipe off the remap and update the software, right?
Yes. If they come up with another ECU software upgrade, then that will definitely wipe off the remap. You will have to get it remapped again. I guess most if not all the tuners do this free of cost.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks