Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2016, 15:01   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: My VW Jetta Highline TDI - Tempest Blue. EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Wow..that's huge gain!! 140 bhp to 190 bhp with just a remap . Kryptonite had to put a bigger turbo and stage 2 remap to achieve 200 BHP from stock 140 BHP on his Laura. Are you planning to dyno again post remap? Petes Christmas offer is a steal indeed.
Yup, Those are the figures quoted by pete's, I am planning for a dyno as well, But the results can again vary on a 2 Wheel dyno, A proper 4 Wheel dyno would have done wonders really, Lets see i am very eager myself to know the output and the performance of the car post remap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Detuned = Lesser Power = Lower top Speed (actual & indicated).

As owners with s/w updated cars are reporting there is a loss of power in the mid and high RPM range & that is where the engine would be operating when being run at top speed.
There is a lot of parts sharing between VW/Skoda/Audi, VW specially has tons of models available internationally with several different instrument clusters, Its highly unlikely they decided to replace the instrument cluster after having detuned the car, Knowing german brands here they would even save money by deleting a small bulb or a hook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Thanks. While GTOs's brother's car is in cheat mode what is clear is that in the case of your car after the SW upgrade (after which there is supposed to be no cheat mode and just one standard mode) car produces significantly less torque than the claimed 320NM.
We need a 4 Wheel dyno to get some actual results out from after and before the SW upgrade.

Quote:
Assuming that all the new cars come with by default this mapping shouldn't VW be updating the specs.
Makes me wonder how they can get away with still claiming 320Nm?
They have cheated once, They are playing even smarter this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
NYT article on how US VW users are getting a handsome cash settlement while all non-US VW owners are being force-fed a restrictive SW/HW update:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/16/bu...ettlement.html
& What to we get? 2000 INR Worth some goodies? That's all !

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Hi Tanveer,

A bit of advice needed. My Jetta was last serviced on 10-Dec-2015 (1st 15K km/ 1st year service). Currently, my car has run less that 21K kms, and given the software update scare, I am sceptical of sending my car to VW.

I wanted to know? how anal is VW when it comes following dates and all. As my car has the additional 2 year extended warranty.

Secondly, is it possible to avoid the update this time around, and then deal with it during my next service, which based on my limited usage should happen around December 2017.

Thanks.
VW will keep bugging you till you don't get the update done, Its not a normal recall, Its something major for them to checkout the number of car's that has been updated, If you don't plan to remap the car now, Keep using it as it is till your next service and simply tell them you'll be able to give the car only during the next service, Ill advice plan your remap after the servicing of the car, That way you'll get some more kick without feeling bad you paid this much moolah to get your car detuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
I really wish that performance figures of cars under recall are validated legally, prior to the recall and the company be taken to task if the update meddles with it. They should label themselves as universal cheats if they are doing it to individual customers, apart from fouling with the overseas regulators.
Service centres are properly trained to tell you that there is no change in the power output of the car post update (Obviously they would say that) If there was no change in power and the car is emitting smoke under the required level than why cheat in the first place? There has to be a gimmick right? How smartly the power is taken off from the mid to top end knowing most of the indian's would spend them time driving in the city under lower RPM's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
My Jetta has gone for the software update today at B U Bhandari. Will post details here once I get it back. It is out of warranty and I think I could have probably avoided the update this time, but you never know what will happen at the time of the next service, so it seemed rather inevitable.
Yes its inevitable, Get it done, Least VW will stop bugging you.

Quote:
If the experience is anywhere near as bad as other reviews are suggesting, then I am planning to get it Pete'd at Mumbai. Can't live without that kick*** torque!
15,000 INR is a STEAL ! Trust me, Get your jetta mapped before 24th, Do let us know how you felt the car was behaving post update, Specially post 2nd gear.

Quote:
Dear @Tanveer_2558 and @iliketurtles - I understand your cars are getting remapped as I am writing this. Eagerly looking forward to your reviews.
Indeed, We might be getting the car back tomorrow, Have a planned drive on the weekend, Excited to see the results, Will surely post a review post remap.
Old 14th December 2016, 19:46   #122
BHPian

Just got the car back after the update.

Note that I have decided to be as neutral and as objective as possible when reviewing the car post update. Want to avoid any kind of confirmation bias seeping in having read other reviews earlier.

I took it for a short spin on my daily route and at first I didn't notice any significant differences. When I started the engine, it sounded more silent and free revving, but I am not certain if that's really the case because the car just has had a run of 20+ kms from the VW service centre. I will try from a cold start tomorrow morning and update again on changes in refinement if any.

The surge that you feel as you switch from 2nd to 3rd gear seemed missing at first, the acceleration also seemed a little too linear. Once I was on a slightly open stretch of road I pressed the accelerator and this I time I DID feel the surge. Although it felt a little too civilised and I am mostly certain that the beast has been tamed to some extent. This was the thing I was worried about the most and sadly that seems to be the case. I will do more testing, probably take it for a drive late at night.

I read someone reporting better drivability in 1st and 2nd gear but I felt no change to the torque or drivability in lower gears in b2b traffic.

BTW I didn't even get the free gift / cleaning kit or whatever others are getting. When asked, the driver said they are out of stock. Anyway isn't this their way of saying "Hey, we cheated you, but we are so generous that we are giving away something for free! Look, a nice gift - a cleaning kit, just for you, now be nice and don't blame us. The gift absolves us from all the wrongdoing while we cheat you again by reducing the power for what you paid for.".
MandarMax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2016, 20:06   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just got the car back after the update.

Note that I have decided to be as neutral and as objective as possible when reviewing the car post update. Want to avoid any kind of confirmation bias seeping in having read other reviews earlier.

I took it for a short spin on my daily route and at first I didn't notice any significant differences. When I started the engine, it sounded more silent and free revving, but I am not certain if that's really the case because the car just has had a run of 20+ kms from the VW service centre. I will try from a cold start tomorrow morning and update again on changes in refinement if any.
Exactly what i felt.

Quote:
The surge that you feel as you switch from 2nd to 3rd gear seemed missing at first, the acceleration also seemed a little too linear. Once I was on a slightly open stretch of road I pressed the accelerator and this I time I DID feel the surge. Although it felt a little too civilised and I am mostly certain that the beast has been tamed to some extent. This was the thing I was worried about the most and sadly that seems to be the case. I will do more testing, probably take it for a drive late at night.
Yes the acceleration has gone very linear post 2nd gear, As much as i observed the acceleration went linear, No power surge plus the car was taking much more time to reach speeds which it would reach before very easily.

Quote:
I read someone reporting better drivability in 1st and 2nd gear but I felt no change to the torque or drivability in lower gears in b2b traffic.
Jetta anyways did not lack in the lower end along with almost no turbo lag, So i found the drivability to be the same in b2b traffic.

Quote:
BTW I didn't even get the free gift / cleaning kit or whatever others are getting. When asked, the driver said they are out of stock. Anyway isn't this their way of saying "Hey, we cheated you, but we are so generous that we are giving away something for free! Look, a nice gift - a cleaning kit, just for you, now be nice and don't blame us. The gift absolves us from all the wrongdoing while we cheat you again by reducing the power for what you paid for.".
Ditto, Shoot an email or call up customer care to get your's, Its not like we are dying without that kit, But least that's what should be given to every customer after the update on their own!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 17:13   #124
BHPian

I gave my MK5 Jetta TDI for the recall. My instant observation was the idle rpm stuck at 1000 all through out my trip in the city. For a few initial kilometres, I felt I lost some significant power and I was suspicious of the fuel economy after the upgrade. The latter purely my problem since I thought this could cost me something I loved my Jetta for. I was still good losing 1-3 kms since I was already being spoilt with phenomenal fuel economy from a 2 litre motor.

Hit the highways this week and this is what I observed -

1. The engine starts shouting with the needle stuck at 1000
2. FE is just as good as pre-recall. I still get ~22 kmph on the highway. This, when I don't drive for fuel economy.
3. Over some distance, I find the idle rpm coming down to normal. But after a start, it goes all the way to its "new home"
4. Engine as a whole - is throaty now. I hate that - I called up the Service Advisor and he told me about instances where new Jetta owners freaked out.
4. Power Delivery - well, I feel it has taken a small hit. I had done this along with a service, still the overall drive feel was sore. It felt my car's engine is feverish and has a sore throat.

This was not so nice that I asked him "can I revert to the old version"

Yeah, the gift - a big one for reasons we all know!

Last edited by convivial : 16th December 2016 at 17:35.
convivial is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 13:20   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Indeed, We might be getting the car back tomorrow, Have a planned drive on the weekend, Excited to see the results, Will surely post a review post remap.
Is your Jetta back? Eagerly waiting for updates on Pete's tuning.
MandarMax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 14:08   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is your Jetta back? Eagerly waiting for updates on Pete's tuning.
Hey, Unfortunately its not (Yes my car is at pete's past more than a week) I know several guys are waiting for the update on the remap, I will post a clear update regarding everything that happened by today evening.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 00:35   #127
Senior - BHPian

Guys waiting for the review on the remap, I would be able to only post a detailed review by this saturday (Hopefully) As i have been told i would be getting the car back by this thursday, Also you can pay the remap amount now and get your car remapped at a later date as well, Since the offer expires on 24th of December, Also i drove BHPian Iliketurtles remapped AT Jetta, And in short, I could feel the extra meaty pull even while driving in city in almost lot of traffic, Eager to know how my MT Jetta would be to drive, Will keep you guys posted.
Old 21st December 2016, 10:04   #128
Senior - BHPian

Don't forget that wheelspin even from a rolling run in 2nd gear! That was grin inducing stuff.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 13:28   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Guys waiting for the review on the remap, I would be able to only post a detailed review by this saturday (Hopefully) As i have been told i would be getting the car back by this thursday, Also you can pay the remap amount now and get your car remapped at a later date as well, Since the offer expires on 24th of December, Also i drove BHPian Iliketurtles remapped AT Jetta, And in short, I could feel the extra meaty pull even while driving in city in almost lot of traffic, Eager to know how my MT Jetta would be to drive, Will keep you guys posted.
I am getting my ecu at 3:30PM today, I will update how the car feels (atleast in the city).
Old 21st December 2016, 14:45   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I am getting my ecu at 3:30PM today, I will update how the car feels (atleast in the city).
Awesome, Along with how the car feels, Do let us know your experience with petes as well, Also is yours a MT or AT?
Old 21st December 2016, 15:51   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Awesome, Along with how the car feels, Do let us know your experience with petes as well, Also is yours a MT or AT?

Mine is a MT. Just got the ecu. Will post the review soon. Dealing with Petes was very good. No hassles. Paid 16500 for the remap plus 750 for pickup and drop off of the ecu.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 19:26   #132
BHPian

Quote:
So I took my car out for a spin (in the city). I can now amble along in 2/3/4 gear at 1000rpm without lugging the engine. I expect better fuel efficiency. Traction control was kicking in very often whenever I found the road safe to give it some stick. Shibin, who is the representative of Petes, said that the car would be a beast on the highways and that I would need to change my tires (as it has gotten hard, though there is a lot of tread left, car has done only 25K in 4.5 years). Overall, I am very happy considering I paid very less compared to the 38K that was quoted earlier. Will post more when I take the car on the highways.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 23:00   #133
Senior - BHPian

So unfortunately it seems my car might be just a bit, Lets go with special, I have the car back with me in the stock form, Ill be again taking it to Pete's on January 3rd, Will explain everything once everything is sorted and my car is successfully remapped.

Also, I have been getting several messages from Teambhpian's who want to join in for meets, Drop me a PM ill add you guys up in the group, Most of our meets usually are decided at the last minute, So having everyone in a group chat helps.
Old 23rd December 2016, 01:50   #134
BHPian

This is regarding my FIL's Jetta TDI HL (AT), took delivery in April 2016

Every time reverse is engaged, the front parking sensor gets activated as well which seems to be normal. However, once we slot it to D, the front parking sensor stays on and we have to turn it off manually which I personally feel is annoying. Is this by design? If so, is there anyway to change this?

Not sure if this has been answered already here or elsewhere in the forum, apologies if this is a repetition

TIA
Old 23rd December 2016, 01:56   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
This is regarding my FIL's Jetta TDI HL (AT), took delivery in April 2016

Every time reverse is engaged, the front parking sensor gets activated as well which seems to be normal. However, once we slot it to D, the front parking sensor stays on and we have to turn it off manually which I personally feel is annoying. Is this by design? If so, is there anyway to change this?

Not sure if this has been answered already here or elsewhere in the forum, apologies if this is a repetition

TIA

The sensors (front & rear) should automatically switch-off after driving straight ahead for some distance or upon crossing a certain speed. If this does not happen on its own, then I guess you should get it checked at VW.

Most Viewed