Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2015, 08:35   #1441
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Preview: Hyundai Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Nice post- you've asked all the right questions. Though I like the Creta and it has obviously got more than its fair share of attention at launch, given that Hyundai is marketing it as "the perfect SUV" the question I have been asking myself is, is the Creta even an SUV?
At the risk of repeating myself, the average or standard Indian consumer is NOT a true SUV consumer. They vastly prefer the "looks" of an SUV but are NOT particular about having all the desired functionalities.

Which is exactly why the SUV look alike and CUVs are doing well in this market.

Hyundai is perhaps guilty of some "poetic/ advertising license" by marketing the Creta as the "Perfect SUV" but lets also remember the simple definition of SUV.
It is NOT at all an "accepted pre-requisite" for all SUV's to have fantastic 4WD and Wading ability and all the rest of it.
If it offers decent space and lots of features and is higher slung than the normal car/ sedan/ hatch, this more than qualifies it to be called an SUV.It is a psychological phenomenon that all the manufacturers are cashing in on!
For that matter, does the "famed American soccer mom" actually take her SUV off the roads? No way! It is the perceived space, size, safety, capability and overall image, that drives the sales of these vehicles and NOT pure function. This is a clear case of "Form over Function".

Saying that, all aficionados know that it is really a simple little CUV, Soft Roader.
Yet, does this stop consumers from buying it? No it doesn't, evidently, from the booking numbers.

I mean lets also note that the Ford EcoSport which is also not a real true blue SUV, was a runaway hit. So basically, however much a purist may crib, it is not going to affect the present tailwind and the current tide in favour of quasi SUV's/CUV's and Crossovers and Soft roaders in the marketplace!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd August 2015 at 08:41.
shankar.balan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 09:34   #1442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylife_myrules View Post
Hi All,

As like the other motor heads on this lovely forum, I was eagerly awaiting for the “Creta” launch. I have been following this thread religiously to an extent of fanaticism. In fact at work, my well-meaning colleagues were worried that I am in the process of turning insane and my better half seriously contemplating that there is something “not right” happening.

Well, personally I needed a reliable and hassle free commuter car that I need not be bothered about except tank up, check for air, and drive. Why Hyundai? Well that’s what the current ride - i10 has served me exceptionally well. Driven it for about 60000 kms in the last 5 yrs including a few round trips to Kerala and had no hassles. Heck, I have not yet replaced any part of the car, except for regular services. I am to change the tyre shortly this week. Never faced any problem at all till date!

The enthusiast in me drives a Laura L&K which is thoroughly enjoyed at holiday home on long winding roads. Just love the steering feedback and the rock solid stability and the confidence of drive that I derive from it!

Coming back to Creta, all hopes of owing a “Creta AT”, to be my next car, came crashing down the day it was launched. The AT was launched in the lower spec version of SX and not the top end model with additional safety features which I needed. A comparison of price made looking for other alternatives and I figured out the XUV 500 to be super “value for money” proposition, but I would wait for the AT. It also perplexed me to think and find as to why Hyundai priced it at a premium. After a wild goose chase, I think I have something that is worth which I could share …… Let pictures do the talking...

I think I also managed to get some details which I think would be in the larger interest of this group :
Hyundai factsheets are wrong. Ford ecosport's coefficient of drag is .371. Reference Ecosport team bhp's official review first page.
Sharp styling gives the EcoSport a drag coefficient of 0.371 (Duster = 0.42)
Old 2nd August 2015, 09:44   #1443
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Valid points but I will add a few thoughts here.

1. How many times in one's life does one expect to wade through 500mm plus of water? - for the average city dwelling young urban couple who probably have one kid, who are most likely to buy this SUV type vehicle, this feature is irrelevant.
Try going to Mumbai, Delhi or Kolkata. Everytime it rains you need that 500mm water wading capability. My uncle has had an engine seized on his Fiesta in Kolkata.

Forget those cities. Bangalore alone has the issue. Any low lying areas and you're finished with a hatch or sedan.

It is not at all irrelevant with our roads here. With a hydrostatic lock you are looking at minimum 1 lakh in repair. If I am paying a premium for a so called crossover or compact SUV, it should atleast handle the city deluge that happens every single monsoon.

Quote:
3. 180mm GC is perfectly acceptable. Even the Scorpio has the same GC.
The Ecosport is 200mm and Duster is even more. It's acceptable but amongst the lowest.

Quote:
4. Hyundai has a habit of loading their cars with features calculated to appeal to the Indian consumer - and the best thing is that all these features work well - unlike the XUV etc which are slightly suspect. I agree about the EcoSport having good features but I think Hyundai has an edge here.
The edge when it comes to manual transmission. Only thing I can see extra is the sat nav screen with reversing camera. The Automatic Ecosport is a 6 speed DSG with 6 airbags, ESP, hill hold and some extra features. The Creta Automatic is diesel with an older 6 speed torque converter and costs a whooping 6 lakhs more on road. For someone looking for an automatic crossover and is ok with the lesser space, the ecosport makes more sense. The 6 lakhs you save is more than enough for the fuel.

Quote:
6. - no normal human should be made to sit in that last row - even in the Innova or Lodgy or Xylo or Duster/ Terrano or indeed any other that last row is claustrophobic and anyway it seriously compromises luggage space. It is about time that Indians realised this fact.
The Lodgy, Innova are sold internationally as 7-8 seaters. Why are they deemed unsafe? I can understand on the Duster/Terrano with jump seats.

That should also mean the Fortuner, Land cruiser, Pajero, Range rover are all equally unsafe? These are certified 7 seaters world wide. So basically all 7-8 seaters world wide are unsafe?

Quote:
Saying that, this is easily one of the best VFM products available in the market now and knowing the Indian public they are voting with a resounding YAY, from the bottom of their wallets. Hyundai will trump the other manufacturers for sure in terms of sales of the Creta.
Only 2 variants appear to be VFM in my opinion. The SX+ petrol and the SX(O). The SX+ petrol at 14lakhs (on road Bangalore) is quite decently equipped with sat-nav, start/stop keyless entry, reversing camera and other features.

The SX+ diesel in comparison is 2 lakhs more just for the change from petrol to diesel.

The SX+ diesel AT is 17 lakhs on road which is way too much for the features you get.

The SX(O) is also 17 lakhs on road but you get a lot more for your buck. leather seats, 6 airbags, larger 17" alloys with spare alloy, leather seats, ESP, hill hold, supervision cluster and a lot more small features. Atleast you get everything you can imagine for a car of that price.
Vid6639 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 09:59   #1444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
1) what is its water wading depth? EcoSport is at 500mm most others who don't give a figure or do are at 300-350? It is a hidden ability but a requisite of SUVs.

3) Ground clearance? Decent but not best in class.
Quote:
3. 180mm GC is perfectly acceptable. Even the Scorpio has the same GC.
Slight correction - Ground clearance is 190 mm.

While the EcoSport with 200 mm GC boasts of a water-wading capability of 550 mm, I don't think the Creta is a slouch in this matter either. It can easily go through 400-450 mm of water, which makes it suitable for water-logged roads as well.

Quote:
Though I like the Creta and it has obviously got more than its fair share of attention at launch, given that Hyundai is marketing it as "the perfect SUV" the question I have been asking myself is, is the Creta even an SUV?
It is a compact SUV crossover, so Hyundai's marketing of positioning it as "the perfect SUV" is a tall claim. They should have added "compact" to that tagline.

And it needs an AWD option to make the "SUV" tag complete.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 10:04   #1445
BHPian

Quote:
At the risk of repeating myself, the average or standard Indian consumer is NOT a true SUV consumer. They vastly prefer the "looks" of an SUV but are NOT particular about having all the desired functionalities.

Which is exactly why the SUV look alike and CUVs are doing well in this market.

Hyundai is perhaps guilty of some "poetic/ advertising license" by marketing the Creta as the "Perfect SUV" but lets also remember the simple definition of SUV.
It is NOT at all an "accepted pre-requisite" for all SUV's to have fantastic 4WD and Wading ability and all the rest of it.
If it offers decent space and lots of features and is higher slung than the normal car/ sedan/ hatch, this more than qualifies it to be called an SUV.
And why do you feel compelled to defend Hyundai every time someone takes up this? You have to be blind to not see the blatant lie in calling the Creta a perfect SUV. True, they might get away in our ignorant society but that's not the point noopster and others making. Perhaps without "perfect" most people would have let this pass.
prakash_ajp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 11:28   #1446
Senior - BHPian

Perfect: by definition means which cannot be bettered. That this is the ultimate solution/iteration. Hence Hyundai's perfect SUV (as per them Creta) means that they have achieved nirvana in SUV speak. So Hyundai will not release any more iterations/versions or bigger SUV, this is it.

Jokes apart, there is no real definition of what should constitute a SUV. Off road vehicles are a different breed. The current road going SUV was born in US, where in they raised the suspensions of their station wagon cars, put in some 4x4 capability, added some body cladding, and ensured they could fit in 3 rows of seats and some luggage space.
If you break down any SUV it is a large station wagon, or a 2 box car, with macho styling. If we do the same thing to an Alto sized hatchback, we get a EcoSport and a I20 sized hatchback we get a Duster or a Creta. Nothing to crib about IMO, if it sells, manufacturers will make. Simple.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 11:40   #1447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
In India, it is a positioning error to place this close to XUV or above Safari Storme. Consumer will never see the rationale, beyond the initial euphoria.
At XUV level pricing, this is not going to make it.
What do you all think?
As it has the only Diesel Automatic, and the only practical Petrol in the bracket it will sell, though once the initial euphoria dies down numbers will be smaller.
Then they have two other additions viable. A SX(O) Automatic, and AWD in both manual & AT in highest two versions of 1.6 Diesel ad Petrol.

But if XUV500 comes up with an AT then the sales will dip.

Rahul
Old 2nd August 2015, 13:57   #1448
BNM
BHPian

NDTV video review Creta vs Duster

And a mishmash comparison of Creta Vs S Cross

Last edited by BNM : 2nd August 2015 at 14:13.
Old 2nd August 2015, 14:06   #1449
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
And why do you feel compelled to defend Hyundai every time someone takes up this? You have to be blind to not see the blatant lie in calling the Creta a perfect SUV. True, they might get away in our ignorant society but that's not the point noopster and others making. Perhaps without "perfect" most people would have let this pass.
No defence at all. Im not even going to buy one and I really don't care too much!
All I am saying is that Hyundai has used a little advertising license in claiming their Creta to be the perfect SUV. It IS most certainly an SUV as per the average Indian consumer's lights so they are not wrong in saying so.

If you're going to start splitting hairs on advertising of cars then there is a separate thread for this. For example I disagree with many of the car ads but Im not going to say which ones on this thread.

If you're a purist, you're not going to agree, but at the end of the day the consumer seems to be voting with his/ her wallet in favour of this vehicle, so thats that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
The current road going SUV was born in US, where in they raised the suspensions of their station wagon cars, put in some 4x4 capability, added some body cladding, and ensured they could fit in 3 rows of seats and some luggage space.
If you break down any SUV it is a large station wagon, or a 2 box car, with macho styling. If we do the same thing to an Alto sized hatchback, we get a EcoSport and a I20 sized hatchback we get a Duster or a Creta. Nothing to crib about IMO, if it sells, manufacturers will make. Simple.
I totally agree. If a vehicle type sells, the manufacturer will make and he will laugh all the way to the bank - the way Toyota has been with the hugely over priced Innova in India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Try going to Mumbai, Delhi or Kolkata. Everytime it rains you need that 500mm water wading capability. My uncle has had an engine seized on his Fiesta in Kolkata.

Forget those cities. Bangalore alone has the issue. Any low lying areas and you're finished with a hatch or sedan.

It is not at all irrelevant with our roads here. With a hydrostatic lock you are looking at minimum 1 lakh in repair. If I am paying a premium for a so called crossover or compact SUV, it should atleast handle the city deluge that happens every single monsoon.

The Ecosport is 200mm and Duster is even more. It's acceptable but amongst the lowest.

The edge when it comes to manual transmission. Only thing I can see extra is the sat nav screen with reversing camera. The Automatic Ecosport is a 6 speed DSG with 6 airbags, ESP, hill hold and some extra features. The Creta Automatic is diesel with an older 6 speed torque converter and costs a whooping 6 lakhs more on road. For someone looking for an automatic crossover and is ok with the lesser space, the ecosport makes more sense. The 6 lakhs you save is more than enough for the fuel.

The Lodgy, Innova are sold internationally as 7-8 seaters. Why are they deemed unsafe? I can understand on the Duster/Terrano with jump seats.

That should also mean the Fortuner, Land cruiser, Pajero, Range rover are all equally unsafe? These are certified 7 seaters world wide. So basically all 7-8 seaters world wide are unsafe?

Only 2 variants appear to be VFM in my opinion. The SX+ petrol and the SX(O). The SX+ petrol at 14lakhs (on road Bangalore) is quite decently equipped with sat-nav, start/stop keyless entry, reversing camera and other features.

The SX+ diesel in comparison is 2 lakhs more just for the change from petrol to diesel.

The SX+ diesel AT is 17 lakhs on road which is way too much for the features you get.

The SX(O) is also 17 lakhs on road but you get a lot more for your buck. leather seats, 6 airbags, larger 17" alloys with spare alloy, leather seats, ESP, hill hold, supervision cluster and a lot more small features. Atleast you get everything you can imagine for a car of that price.
Ok so lets warm up to this debate. I will state my agreement or disagreement one by one.
1.I have used my Yeti on the waterlogged streets of Bangalore and so far so good. I have driven my old shape Maruti 800 in the Madras rains when the water actually went over the bonnet. Same with my Bolero on Koramangala 80 feet road near the present day Nature's Basket. Nothing happened.
I think the Creta can handle the Indian rainy season as well as the EcoSport or Duster but I am yet to see proof.

2. GC: The Scorpio has a GC of 180mm as does the Yeti. This may be adjudged to be amongst the lowest but they certainly suffice.

3. Hyundai does load its cars quite well so I guess it is the buyer's choice if he / she wants to pay that extra premium for the overall car with the existing set of features. Personally Im unhappy with a few things which Ive stated in my earlier note. They could have done better at that price for sure.

4. Ref the Innova and Lodgy. I believe that the Top Spec Indian ones come with only 2 Airbags at the most. My point is that we are paying Top prices for de-specced versions when compared to the International standard that these self same vehicles adhere to. I also believe strongly that the last row of seats are claustrophobic and uncomfortable and severely compromise luggage space as well. I do definitely deem the last seats both uncomfortable and unsafe as per my lights because in the event of a crash, there is no protection by way of Airbags etc and one can't even easily extricate one's self from these last row seats.
These vehicles are marketed as 7 and 8 seaters yes. But they are not really 7 or 8 seaters where normal sized human beings can sit in comfort for sure. You can disagree all you like but this doesn't alter the above facts.

5. I appreciate the points made on pricing when it comes to the AT - as Ive said earlier, they could certainly have given us much more for the AT at that price.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd August 2015 at 19:18. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 14:23   #1450
BHPian

Just heard that Creta automatic has commenced production only now. Earliest availability will be in a month's time. Typical availability may even stretch upto 4-6 mths for someone who books it today.
Old 2nd August 2015, 15:34   #1451
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the car today. Did not take a test drive.

Positives:
Front seats with good support and a dead pedal for the driver
Good interiors - no where in the class of Elantra
Space - great for front and decent for back
Good build quality
Good styling, though I prefer the classy styling of S-Cross
Rear A/C vent
Practical for city and occassional highway trips

Negatives:
Rear seat is very low, offering very less under thigh support. The window is high with less glass area, making you claustrophobic at rear
Boot space is just ok, makes sense to get a Ciaz/ City at a much lesser price

Overall, a very good product. But hyundai has got the pricing wrong. In my opinion, Duster is selling at a premium price, Hyundai is very expensive - by 1.5 - 2 lakhs for higher variants in diesel.
PatienceWins is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 15:53   #1452
BNM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shethsa View Post
Just heard that Creta automatic has commenced production only now. Earliest availability will be in a month's time. Typical availability may even stretch upto 4-6 mths for someone who books it today.
Well you heard wrong. We have one BHPian who took delivery last week. I myself saw one in Bangalore yesterday. Production has commenced but the percentage is small around 12 to 15%.
Old 2nd August 2015, 16:39   #1453
Senior - BHPian

Not much of an SUV fanboy but did Test Drive the Creta yesterday in Bangalore as my Bro-In-Law has booked it and decided to go for it.

Pros:
1. The Drivers seat position and the view of the road is awesome. Drive is comfortable and feels car like. The pick up is awesome - Verna like.
2. The Noise Insulation level for the Diesel is awesome (given that I come from the 2014 iDTEC City experience of higher engine noise)
3. Quality of the Interiors and the Built-In TouchScreen System with Navigation
4. Class leading Bootspace

Cons:
1. No Cruise Control or Sun Roof or AWD - C'mon Hyundai - you cannot charge such a huge premium without such frills.
2. Price - like someone called out - the Ciaz/City still seems VFM compared to the Creta

Request to fellow BHPians, Any inputs on the approx. waiting time for the top end diesel in Bangalore would be useful in negotiating on delivery time with the dealer.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 16:53   #1454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.......given that Hyundai is marketing it as "the perfect SUV" the question I have been asking myself is, is the Creta even an SUV?
Well said. They have the temerity to leave out word like mini. At least Ford calls Ecosport an urban SUV, a euphemism for mini-SUV. If tiny Creta is "perfect SUV" then what are Pajeros and Fortuners? We may argue endlessly about monocoque versus ladder-frame but in the world of SUVs, SIZE DOES MATTER. The bigger, the better. Period. I say this from experience because I have seen guys who bought Dusters and Ecosports and later regretted why did they not buy full-size SUVs like Storme and Scorpios at nearly same price.

Last edited by pgsagar : 2nd August 2015 at 16:55.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 17:19   #1455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNM View Post
Well you heard wrong. We have one BHPian who took delivery last week. I myself saw one in Bangalore yesterday. Production has commenced but the percentage is small around 12 to 15%.

I too saw an automatic being delivered yesterday when I went for a TD.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks