Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2015, 10:49   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!

Congrats Frank! Wish you a happy and nigglefree ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
7. My instrument cluster (odometer) plastic is already rattling. I hear it on every bump. Irritating to the hilt!
You might have to tighten the 2 Torx screws of the cluster after removing the top trim of the steering column. A member here reported the same issue and the screws turned out to be loose.

Quote:
14. Also, one more niggle. There is a boot open button on the key, but all it does is unlock the boot. Which can be done by the unlock button on the key fob as well. The boot button should raise the boot open by a little, hence increasing the convenience factor.
Long press the boot open button for a few seconds and the boot would unlock itself. If the struts were powerful and bump stops had a springback mechanism, the tail gate would have opened itself. There is a mod available using Scirocco's bump stops and powerful struts which opens the boot with the long-press of the button.

Gannu_1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 12:49   #17
BHPian

Congratulations on the Polo GT! Also, the list of add ons is excellent (Especially the GTI steering wheel )

I remember there was a time when I hated the GT since it only came with a DSG gearbox. Being a Manual transmission zealot ( I actually have a T-shirt with "REAL MEN USE THREE PEDALS" written on it), I was never convinced that an automatic car can be fun. This was till I drove my friend's Polo GT about a few months back. And OMG! I totally fell in love with the car. If not for the hefty price tag, the GT could have been my next car :( Next time maybe :P

Oh, and the irony is that I was wearing the same tee when I drove it
Impala59 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 13:19   #18
BHPian

Quote:
1. Genuine Golf GTI Steering wheel with Paddle Shifters.
Now that's the piece of equipment that makes your GT TSI stand out!
I have a few questions though.

1. Is it a direct plug & play for the Indian spec GT TSI?
2. Any warranty issues?
3. What do you plan to do with the stock steering wheel?
4. What was the cost factor for the wheel and installation?
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 20:29   #19
BHPian

Congrats on your TSI frankmehta. Welcome to a slowly and rather speedily growing GT TSI club.

Very useful and apt mods there.

I see you have got most of your accessories from Ali Express. It has a treasure trove of VAG accessories and its easy to get carried away and spend a fortune there.

I particularly like the Android HU you have put in. With WiFi on, entertainment on the go with this set up is limitless.

Also liked the antiglare dimming side view mirrors. I am considering buying these too.
Would like to know how visibility is at night with this. These mirrors tend to have a greenish/blueish tinge to it due to the coating on them. Does it show in daylight and does it affect visibility at night when not dimmed?

Having spent so much, please do consider adding the adjustable center arm rest. It allows for a more comfortable drive and definitely ups the feel good factor.

Going by your previous ownership threads, I guess a power upgrade is very soon in the offing.

Loved the way you described the various behavioral aspects of the DSG unit. I couldn't have put it better.

On a side note, my wife too is a Dentist and is slowly turning into a car enthusiast herself courtesy her 9 months old car ( a GT TSI ). This car is so good, it has the ability to change your driving style and character once you bond with it.

Wish you Many Happy Times with your Car!

Last edited by psispace : 8th August 2015 at 20:34.
psispace is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 21:19   #20
BHPian

Congrats on the new buy.

So the steering wheel with paddle shifters over-rides the DSG manual mode, also how much did it cost?

I am currenly confused between Polo TSI and Vento TSI, what made you decide to go for Polo?

18.1 kml miellage, really?
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 23:28   #21

I took delivery of my Vento 1,2 TSI Highline just a day ahead, also from VW Downtown. Have to admit that VW sales persons do come across as "clever by half". Every feature they have is like super cool. Every feature that they don't have (for example missing seat belt warning) is "not really needed".

Having said that the TSI + DSG combo is deadly. On my Mumbai Pune trip, I was barely able to control myself from flooring the accelerator. A short tap is all thats needed to feel the turbo surge.

Beg to differ but I think that the Vento seats are pretty comfortable. Maybe its just me.

How do you get 18,1 kmpl? I barely got 13-14 on my Mumbai Pune run. Did I miss something? The trip meters sure are bit weird. Trip 1 resets itself if the engine is switched off longer than 4 hours. My Punto has better MID displaying time, distance and fuel efficiency for individual trips + instant fuel consumption.

I have complained to VW Downtown about the rattling. Surprisingly (or probably not so) their TD cars were in top shape. Will try out the DYI solution. Thanks a ton d_himan.

Will post my initial ownership review once I clock decent miles on the odo.
TejashM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 00:06   #22
BHPian

Congrats on your GT TSI. Even i am in that very state where i have been through each and every video and review . The HU looks neat for the price .Have you noticed any improvements in the sound with the new HU?
nishchal316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 01:42   #23
BHPian

Congrats Frank on the beauty. 5 cars in 6 years.! You are definitely a car freak. The GTI steering wheel looks fantastic
As mentioned above the GT TSI club is increasing day by day, which is really pleasing.
I hope FIAT will price the ABARTH EVO correctly to give a competition to TSI-DSG.
Wishing you many more happy miles with the car. Hope you will retain it for a longer period of time.
Old 9th August 2015, 01:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Could you also describe your experience with Aliexpress and Indian customs in detail. Would help members who want to purchase the same accessories
I have bought from good sellers on AliExpress (people who have high ratings, and people who respond well to questions.) Out of the 5 or 6 things ordered, I have only received 1. And that was wishing 4 days of ordering!
The package I already received was via HongKong post and I wasn't charged any duty for the same. The other 3-4 things are via China Post, which I assume will take time to get here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
I think your observation about lack of lower back support in Polo/Vento seats is spot on. Not seen a lot of people feeling/sharing it. But it has pretty much destroyed my back. I am still not 100% sure if this is the only reason, but I have a huge feeling that it is one of the biggest reasons. If you find a solution, kindly do share.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/r.html?C=1H...200641_TE_item

I have placed an order for this. Waiting for delivery next week. Will update this in the course of the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Can you please post some of pics of the Android Touch screen which you have procured (if installed) along with the useability and features. I am considering an upgrade and will help me (& others) who are too.
I don't have the unit yet. It has just reached the Mumbai customs (says DHL)
I will post very detailed photos of it when I get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The head unit looks very interesting Have you already got it or just ordered? Would it be a straight swap with the existing unit or some other changes will be needed? Looking forward to a detailed update on that.
The fact that it's a direct bolt-on fit in place of the original unit and will retain almost OE looks is the main reason why I have invested money in this.
Also, having a lot of issues with the bluetooth in the stock unit. Didn't like the bluetooth integration at all. My iPhone makes the system hang every 2 phone calls, and sound on my Android phone cuts in and out for 5 seconds every 30 seconds. So a conversation is impossible on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
1. The anti glare mirrors you got, Was it easy to install? I guess you probably had to remove the current mirrors and fit these, Hope so, Also did you opt for free shipping or a paid one?

2. The VCD's cable shows the software 14.10 which seems to be really good! I got mine 12.2.3 recently which still doesn't let me explore everything. The link you have given shows that its the Deutsch Version, Does that mean the language or anything else is different? Or the software it came with it is english only? I might as well get this one then.

3. Can you please post a few pictures of the headunit? And how is the touch responsiveness and everything?

4. Also if you don't mind to let me know from where did you source the wheel? Even a PM would work

Thanks in advance!
1. Mirror hasn't arrived yet. Looks easy to install. Opted for free shipping.

2. VCDS Cable Clones are grey areas. There's a chance that the cable you get might just not work. You always have an option to return it. It's a $25 clone of a $370 cable, so if it works, you are lucky. If it doesn't, no great shakes!

3. Head unit arriving next week. Will be installed immediately after.

4. Bought the wheel in a group buy with 9 other mad GT TSI owners (we have a Whatsapp group). This is from Mexico, if I am not wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
You might have to tighten the 2 Torx screws of the cluster after removing the top trim of the steering column. A member here reported the same issue and the screws turned out to be loose.

Long press the boot open button for a few seconds and the boot would unlock itself. If the struts were powerful and bump stops had a springback mechanism, the tail gate would have opened itself. There is a mod available using Scirocco's bump stops and powerful struts which opens the boot with the long-press of the button.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=A0GIgYgjjs4
I am going to VW on Monday to show these rattles, and a few small niggles.

About the boot release, I just realised how much damage would be caused, if this car were parked too close to the wall behind, and I was to open the boot with the remote. The force with which it opens in the video is scary!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Now that's the piece of equipment that makes your GT TSI stand out!
I have a few questions though.

1. Is it a direct plug & play for the Indian spec GT TSI?
2. Any warranty issues?
3. What do you plan to do with the stock steering wheel?
4. What was the cost factor for the wheel and installation?
1. Yes. Everything works.
2. I haven't cut any wires, but yes, I have a lot of explaining to do to my SA.
3. I still have it. Will keep it!
4. Wheel was DAMN expensive, but worth the expense. If you buy it in India through VAGTUNE with the airbag and stuff, you might touch a 100 Gandhis. Installation was easy, and done by Wagenwerkz (jatinpatel on the forum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post
It has a treasure trove of VAG accessories and its easy to get carried away and spend a fortune there.

Would like to know how visibility is at night with this. These mirrors tend to have a greenish/blueish tinge to it due to the coating on them. Does it show in daylight and does it affect visibility at night when not dimmed?

Having spent so much, please do consider adding the adjustable center arm rest. It allows for a more comfortable drive and definitely ups the feel good factor.

Going by your previous ownership threads, I guess a power upgrade is very soon in the offing.
1. Haven't received the mirror glasses yet.
2. This AliExpress has made fortunes, but it is also very dangerous for individuals with limited incomes like me. Man, it's lethal and looking at bank balances after a hard night of Internet Surfing on AliExpress is not recommended if you want to keep your health intact.
3. This car HAS changed the way I drive, but it feels SO sophisticated to drive, with it's refinement and power on tap, I almost feel like I am driving a 15 lakh rupee car.
4. Arm-Rest was on the cards, but the installation looks a little scary. ALSO, aftermarket-installed armrests (even though they are original) do tend to rattle and I am allergic to noises other than the right ones!
5. Power-upgrade not on the cards at all. Maybe a De-Cat and Straight-Pipe. But that's going to need a lot of procrastination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Congrats on the new buy.

So the steering wheel with paddle shifters over-rides the DSG manual mode, also how much did it cost?

I am currenly confused between Polo TSI and Vento TSI, what made you decide to go for Polo?

18.1 kml miellage, really?
Yes, you can over-ride the DSG manual mode (read: Downshift) at will, WHENEVER you want. You don't need to slide the gear lever into Tiptronic mode. Also, if you don't shift gears with the Paddles within 8 seconds of operating the Paddles once, the DSG defaults back to D.
ALSO, there's an OFF button on the "+" paddle, which you need to HOLD if you need to shift back to Auto mode.
For example, you want to overtake a lousy driver when you are in D7 at 60 kmph. 3 pulls on the left paddle will get you to 4th gear and the car will collect speed enough to overtake the car, after which you may want to return to cruising, so all you need to do is tug at the right paddle (+) and hold it for a second more. VOILA! You are back to D mode. This works with S mode too.

Very clever and very convenient.

I went in for the Polo, purely because a GT TSI costs 10 lakhs and the Highline Vento TSI costs 12 something. 2.5 lakhs for a boot? No way!
Also, you lose the GT branding and GT-Specific stuff, however minimal it is, is quite cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishchal316 View Post
Congrats on your GT TSI. Even i am in that very state where i have been through each and every video and review . The HU looks neat for the price .Have you noticed any improvements in the sound with the new HU?
I see the Head-Unit has garnered a lot of responses. I will be prompt in posting about it here soon.
frankmehta is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 02:49   #25
BHPian

All this sounds really cool but changing the steering causes any problems with warranty?

I tried searching aliexpress for this steering but not able to find. Could you post the link here or message. Thanks!

Have bookmarked this thread to remind me what all accesories to get if I do end up getting TSI.
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 02:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All this sounds really cool but changing the steering causes any problems with warranty?

I tried searching aliexpress for this steering but not able to find. Could you post the link here or message. Thanks!

Have bookmarked this thread to remind me what all accesories to get if I do end up getting TSI.
The steering wheel is not available on AliExpress with the airbag.

Also, the steering technically didn't involve modification or wire cutting of any kind. Besides, the only 'warranty' I might claim is the airbag if I am ever unlucky enough to get into an accident and deploy it. For those purposes, the GTI wheel has it's own airbag, so I am not worried about that aspect.
Old 9th August 2015, 03:15   #27
BHPian

To do all these cool mods I think I have to choose Polo over Vento. The cost of steering thing (almost 62k) is tilting it in favour of Polo.

Do let us know if the seats are as bad as some users have pointed out.
Old 9th August 2015, 06:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

I found in my GT, that a quiet relaxed cruise (say @ 40) along windy country roads is better off in tiptronic 4 than D wherein the latter can 'mislead' the DSG at the slightest additional load on the engine causing it to shuttle between D3 and D4 unnecessarily.
Another situation is a cruise at 70 in D7, when taps on the brakes to slowdown to 40 (a pothole or reacting to brake lights in the car ahead) the doesn't 'resume cruising in D7 in an unhurried manner, but kicks down to D4 and there's an unnecessary surge back to 70. It sure can't read your mind
Old 9th August 2015, 13:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejashM View Post
I took delivery of my Vento 1,2 TSI Highline just a day ahead, also from VW Downtown. Have to admit that VW sales persons do come across as "clever by half". Every feature they have is like super cool. Every feature that they don't have (for example missing seat belt warning) is "not really needed".

Having said that the TSI + DSG combo is deadly. On my Mumbai Pune trip, I was barely able to control myself from flooring the accelerator. A short tap is all thats needed to feel the turbo surge.

Beg to differ but I think that the Vento seats are pretty comfortable. Maybe its just me.

How do you get 18,1 kmpl? I barely got 13-14 on my Mumbai Pune run. Did I miss something? The trip meters sure are bit weird. Trip 1 resets itself if the engine is switched off longer than 4 hours. My Punto has better MID displaying time, distance and fuel efficiency for individual trips + instant fuel consumption.

I have complained to VW Downtown about the rattling. Surprisingly (or probably not so) their TD cars were in top shape. Will try out the DYI solution. Thanks a ton d_himan.

Will post my initial ownership review once I clock decent miles on the odo.

I am going to VW tomorrow for the rattles. Also, 18.1 kmpl is @ 70 mph in D7 for 20 km!!!!!
Trip-meter is not weird at all. In fact, I love the fact that No. 1 in all menus is for THAT current trip. Read the manual once to understand what I mean...
Trip 1 is for the current trip and Trip 2 is for this tankful (or until you reset the meter)
It's a little less intuitive, but it is very useful.
About the VW guys, who was your SA? Next time, ask for Hardik Parmar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
I found in my GT, that a quiet relaxed cruise (say @ 40) along windy country roads is better off in tiptronic 4 than D wherein the latter can 'mislead' the DSG at the slightest additional load on the engine causing it to shuttle between D3 and D4 unnecessarily.
Another situation is a cruise at 70 in D7, when taps on the brakes to slowdown to 40 (a pothole or reacting to brake lights in the car ahead) the doesn't 'resume cruising in D7 in an unhurried manner, but kicks down to D4 and there's an unnecessary surge back to 70. It sure can't read your mind
D7----> D1 is a sickening process when brakes are applied for a speed breaker or a signal. Which is WHY i use the paddles sometimes to stop.. Shift to manual mode from D7 to 7 and the jerks go away magically.

Quote:
To do all these cool mods I think I have to choose Polo over Vento. The cost of steering thing (almost 62k) is tilting it in favour of Polo.

Do let us know if the seats are as bad as some users have pointed out.
Seats are different for different body structures. My body doesn't take well to the seats. I have ordered this
http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00S...f_rd_i=desktop
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 16:10   #30

Congrats on your new ride. Loved the detailing in your post. The list of mods are really great.

I have been looking to change the stock Head unit on my Vento from long time now. Features wise the head unit you are getting seems to be the best out of all IMO. Looking forward to hear more about it from you.

Do you have any plans to get a reversing camera? I know its not a requirement for an hatch but just curious.
Anashku is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed