Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2015, 09:14   #61

re: Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!

This car is getting to be so awesome! And the mods are so well thought out and rational. Congrats on your set of wheels , you have gained a fan all the way from across the world.

As a new Maruti Swift owner (and worried of the reasons you sold it after just 26K), I might follow your steps in a couple of years, problem is that in my country we only get the Polo sedan not the HB.
GarotoCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2015, 14:06   #62

Hi Frank!

Let me officially congratulate you on the forum for your new acquisition. We have discussed this car so many times in each of our conversations and I know the excitement that you are feeling!

happy driving... happy modding (you can never be static, can you?)

Regards,

Rajiv

Mod Note: SMS Language is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th August 2015 at 08:33.
rajivrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 01:52   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Thank you for the update. Can I ask a small favor?
Can you please post a pic as to how it looks on your car seat.

Thank you very much

Regards
Rachit
I have shifted the seat to the Brio, as of now. The Polo is resting for a couple of days
Have left her at the other house. Will take a photo and post soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish.r View Post
Wonderful review Frank, rated the thread five stars. Ze German beauty is truly impressive inside outside and its even more enriched with those accessories esp GTI steering.

Slightly OT, thank you for pointing to this memory foam support seat. A question though, looking at the thickness, will it not push the driver so that it compromises under-thigh support? Eagerly looking forward for your review on this seat as I am also planning for the same.

Yes, you are right about the thigh support being compromised, but I have a (semi) workaround for that. It works with my body structure. Don't know if it will work with yours. I place the cushion a little higher up so the bottom of the cushion just ends at my lower back. This makes things a little comfortable, but yes, under-thigh support is slightly compromised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Hello

Wanted to check how easy or difficult installing this mirror was ? I see from Aliexpress its a universal one. Was planning to fit it in my Punto.
It's NOT a universal mirror. This replaces your car mirror which is attached to the windscreen (or the top of the roof) so you need to dismount your mirror and compare your mounting point photo with the various ones provided at the bottom of the page in this link:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-R...315331108.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsanand View Post
What a review, man..!

Every element of your review - the decision making, the vehicle assessment - mirrors my thoughts as I went through market assessment and then booked the GT TSI. Now awaiting for my baby.

Wish you the best of times with the white beauty.
Thank you. Try to take the delivery of the NEW GT TSI which is on the cards. It has all the missing features that I yearned for. The main ones are Cruise Control and Power Folding mirrors. SIGH! It's disheartening to see a facelift launched 15 days after delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarotoCR View Post
This car is getting to be so awesome! And the mods are so well thought out and rational. Congrats on your set of wheels , you have gained a fan all the way from across the world.

As a new Maruti Swift owner (and worried of the reasons you sold it after just 26K), I might follow your steps in a couple of years, problem is that in my country we only get the Polo sedan not the HB.
You don't need to be worried at all about your Swift. We have one more in the family that just touched 1,00,000 km and feels like it can do 50000 more without giving us much trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivrao View Post
Hi Frank!

Let me officially congratulate you on the forum for your new acquisition. We have discussed this car so many times in each of our conversations and I know the excitement that you are feeling!

happy driving... happy modding (u can never be static, can u?)

Regards,

Rajiv
Thank you Doc. We shall go out for a drive this week. For sure!
frankmehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 08:20   #64
Senior - BHPian

The car has been wheeled into Four Seasons Audio (Sounds Good) to Bass&Trouble Ajay's bunker for ICE installation.

Will be posting results about the head unit and how the car sounds.

Also, damping all doors and boot-lid heavily, so the car will feel as solid as ever, and maybe wind noise and road noise might just go down a little bit.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 22:55   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Will be posting results about the head unit and how the car sounds.
I am eagerly waiting for your views on quad-core Andriod HU. I am getting my white TSI in about 3 weeks and I have shortlisted Dynavin N6 and Philadelphia 835. But these are very pricey. Because I am planning some other retrofits I am on a tight budget. From whatever I have read about this HU it appears that it won't require additional BT module, or is it?
I have lot of other questions but will wait for your update
BlueEyes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 00:31   #66
Senior - BHPian

Here's a teaser ☺

More pics tomorrow.
This thing is MAAD! IT'S BEAUTIFUL!
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-1440097282240.jpg  

frankmehta is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 01:50   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's a teaser ☺

More pics tomorrow.

Looks good! Please update more on it, Eagerly waiting, It might be my HU upgrade in my jetta as well! Congrats!
Old 21st August 2015, 05:18   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's a teaser ☺

More pics tomorrow.
This thing is already in my cart. Waiting for your review before hitting the "Pay" button.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 04:17   #69
Senior - BHPian

Did a 191 km round trip today guys. NO, I didn't visit another city! It was all in Mumbai!
A few impressions:
1. The suspension components have now really bedded themselves in well. Bumps that used to be hard-edged during the first few days of the car are now soaked up very well. This statement may be incorrect due to tire pressure variations due to temperature etc, yet, the perception seems quite accurate, as the tire pressure is kept constant using this tool

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-61tjz5cl._sl1000_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Prog...195778&sr=1-19

This gauge is one of the most accurate ones available in the world, and also has a nifty feature that allows us to decrease air pressure and drop it to the pre-set (on the gauge) pressure, after which it beeps. You can pre-set separate pressure values for front and rear tires

Anyway, the ride has improved quite drastically over the last 1000 km and I am happy to say that the stock Goodyears are doing a good job, without creating much din, and this is the FIRST TIME in the history of a car purchase that I have stuck with stock tires.

2. Fuel efficiency hovered between 15 and 16, as I was constantly maintaining speeds of 70-80 in D7, with occasional bursts of accelerator stomping, kick down inducing moments. Also, the paddles showed their versatility, where one doesn't need them to gain speed drastically, but gradually. A prime example of this is how, if I am cruising at 60 kmph in D7 @ a lazy 1800 rpm and a silly truck driver is moving in the fast lane at 40.
Annoying, but I don't stomp the A-pedal. In fact, I downshift twice (by pulling the left steering paddle twice) from D7 to 5, RPM needles goes up to (a sedate) 2200 RPM, sufficient shove from the turbo is delivered (since we downshifted to spool it further) and needle jumps from 60 kmph to 90 kmph. Without much drama, I am ahead of the dude who clearly doesn't know the rules. This is overtaking without inducing kick down mode, or wasting much fuel. VERY practical, I must say!
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-img_2169.jpg
Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-img_2170.jpg

3. The New audio unit deserves it's own post, and I will make one shortly. It's OUTSTANDING, to say the least, but let me use it for a few days to extoll virtues (and drawbacks, if any) of this Android Head unit.

4. Activated a few features using a 12.12.3 VCDS cable (not mine). Managed to get VCDS 12.12.0 (ahem, version) working with a lot of trial and error on my Macbook Pro Retina 15 inches running Windows 8.1 64 bit! It worked after I installed the LATEST version from the Ross-Tech site over it, but since the cable was older, I had to uninstall 15.xx (due to some firmware abnormalities.) Something from the 15.xx installation stayed, and 12.12.0 recognised an el-cheapo cable without trouble. That's Windows for us!

VCDS Tweaks:
1. Switched off horn while locking and unlocking.
2. Indicator Celebration ( my MOST favourite reason for buying a VCDS cable)
3. Switched time from 12 hour to 24 hours format.
4. XDS set to strong
5. Comfort Rear Wiper operation
6. Tear wipe for the front wiper
7. Lane-change indicator from 3 blinks to 4 (just for fun)

The customary Staging Video
frankmehta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 17:42   #70
BHPian

Quote:
VCDS Tweaks:
1. Switched off horn while locking and unlocking.
2. Indicator Celebration ( my MOST favourite reason for buying a VCDS cable)
3. Switched time from 12 hour to 24 hours format.
4. XDS set to strong
5. Comfort Rear Wiper operation
6. Tear wipe for the front wiper
7. Lane-change indicator from 3 blinks to 4 (just for fun)

The customary Staging Video
Good stuff! I also need a few of these VCDS tweaks on my GT TSI but dont know how to go about it. Also, how much did you spend on the HU and how easy was the installation?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st August 2015 at 09:04. Reason: Removing video from the quoted post.
#ish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2015, 20:59   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ish View Post
Good stuff! I also need a few of these VCDS tweaks on my GT TSI but dont know how to go about it. Also, how much did you spend on the HU and how easy was the installation?
I spent around 21k on the head unit with custom duties and octroi.

Also, here's a good way to start with VCDS:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...highlight=vcds
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2015, 09:42   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Also, here's a good way to start with VCDS:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...highlight=vcds
Thanks! I was wondering since you already have the cable if you let me use it I just want to experiment with a few things. Dont want to spend a fortune for a one time thing.
Old 24th August 2015, 13:16   #73
BHPian

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Prog...195778&sr=1-19

This gauge is one of the most accurate ones available in the world, and also has a nifty feature that allows us to decrease air pressure and drop it to the pre-set (on the gauge) pressure, after which it beeps. You can pre-set separate pressure values for front and rear tires
Congratulations on your TSI ! Happy revving

Where did you buy the tire pressure gauge ? Did you buy in US and shipped it here ? Please let me know.
Old 25th August 2015, 00:14   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ish View Post
Thanks! I was wondering since you already have the cable if you let me use it I just want to experiment with a few things. Dont want to spend a fortune for a one time thing.
Hi. I'll tell you as soon as my cable arrives. I used another friend's cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu View Post
Congratulations on your TSI ! Happy revving

Where did you buy the tire pressure gauge ? Did you buy in US and shipped it here ? Please let me know.
Yes.. Shipped from us to India via aramex shop and ship. Customs and shipping cost more than the gauge itself. But that damn gauge is worth it's weight in gold. I'd buy one more for the other car soon.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st August 2015 at 09:05. Reason: Removing unwanted spacing.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 00:23   #75
BHPian

Quote:
It's NOT a universal mirror. This replaces your car mirror which is attached to the windscreen (or the top of the roof) so you need to dismount your mirror and compare your mounting point photo with the various ones provided at the bottom of the page in this link:
Hi Frank, Congrats on your new ride and welcome to the Polo TSI club.
Could you please tell me which one of the mounts did you order for your IRVM from the list? Few images of installation and wiring would be much helpful.
Thanks,
D.
delta5 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks