Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2015, 20:36   #151
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for back to back replies.
But I'm going to vcds my Polo and end this debate once and for all. Whether I have ops sensors or not.
frankmehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 22:52   #152
BHPian

re: Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
What is this cable you speak of? My head unit has a Canbus box. What's the name. Please find out if you can.
And I'm very keen on front sensors. Let's see if I can do a retrofit.
If you haven't already read this post, here is the link;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post3837075

They are very much doable. I don't know if your unit has OPS support. But with the CANBUS built in, I guess the audio beeps will work.
Let us know what the VCDS showed.

During my installation at VagTunes, Sugesh had said the beeps would definitely work. He was only not sure of the OPS. Routing it through the module mentioned in the above link solved the problem.

Here's the VagTunes website link to the product;

http://www.vagtune.in/volkswagen/vw-...59475-b-detail

Last edited by psispace : 29th October 2015 at 22:53.
psispace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 14:21   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But I'm going to vcds my Polo and end this debate once and for all. Whether I have ops sensors or not.
I have verified with VCDS. GT TSi does not have the park assist module (at least mine does not have it). It is just a standalone setup with only beeps and hence cannot be integrated to the HU to display OPS.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 15:07   #154
Senior - BHPian

All Polos and Ventos since the facelift doesn't have the OPS enabled parking module. These cars do have a parking module but its not OPS enabled. I had mine replaced with the OPS enabled item at Vagtune and i guess an additional wire too was connected to BCM.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 15:24   #155
Senior - BHPian

Drat! One more expense, then! I am not keen on the ops display, though. The rear camera is sharp and very convenient.
Old 1st November 2015, 16:29   #156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
All Polos and Ventos since the facelift doesn't have the OPS enabled parking module. These cars do have a parking module but its not OPS enabled. I had mine replaced with the OPS enabled item at Vagtune and i guess an additional wire too was connected to BCM.
Quote:
Drat! One more expense, then! I am not keen on the ops display, though. The rear camera is sharp and very convenient.
Your car is the previous version without cruise control, right. As Sankar mentioned, if all cars after facelift do not have OPS, maybe yours has. Should be worth checking it once.

Since my car does not have OPS module, I have ruled out the RCD510 option and have placed order for the same Android HU as yours. Thanks for all the information you provided. I will also plan for a reverse camera.

I have a question regarding the reverse camera setup you have used. Did you drill a hole on the rear bumper to fix the camera? Or did you use the number plate light?

In AliExpress, there are two types of cameras available. One is integrated into the number plate light, and another is the flip camera that replaces the VW logo in the boot. The one that retrofits into the number plate light is cheaper, but in Polo, the number plate lights are not centered. Because of this the camera will be offset to right or left side. Will this be a problem with the alignment of the reverse parking image? What are your thoughts on this?
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 17:55   #157
BHPian

Frank finally got the Android Head Unit and fitted it in the car. It is simply awesome and also believe a whole topic can be written on it. The internal mic was non-functional nearly and external mic was choppy. So bought a Pioneer Mic and after changing the bluetooth type module in factory settings the performance is acceptable.

However am facing 2 issues:
1. I am unable to customize the steering key functions than the default ones using the steering keys option in the settings. Its very wierd and I dont know if you faced similar issues.

2. The unit thinks this is a LHD vehicle instead of RHD. Hence when the driver side door is opened it shows on the screen on the left hand side. However while the rear right door is opened it shows correctly on the screen. Its a very wierd quirk. Dont know if you also faced such a thing.

I got a version update of Oct 23 which I have installed which brought in the Google apps and playstore. Another feature solely missed is the mute mic button when one is using the phone.
Jamsukh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 18:32   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamsukh View Post
Frank finally got the Android Head Unit and fitted it in the car. It is simply awesome and also believe a whole topic can be written on it. The internal mic was non-functional nearly and external mic was choppy. So bought a Pioneer Mic and after changing the bluetooth type module in factory settings the performance is acceptable.

However am facing 2 issues:
1. I am unable to customize the steering key functions than the default ones using the steering keys option in the settings. Its very wierd and I dont know if you faced similar issues.

2. The unit thinks this is a LHD vehicle instead of RHD. Hence when the driver side door is opened it shows on the screen on the left hand side. However while the rear right door is opened it shows correctly on the screen. Its a very wierd quirk. Dont know if you also faced such a thing.

I got a version update of Oct 23 which I have installed which brought in the Google apps and playstore. Another feature solely missed is the mute mic button when one is using the phone.
Hi. I'm glad you liked the unit.
Where did you procure the pioneer mic? I have ordered an El cheapo one from Ali. But i think a higher quality one would be nice.

As for the right and left hand thing, it is very easy. Go to settings, factory settings, enter 126 as code and go to last tab and click on "rudder"
Restart unit and you're done.

As for the steering, we have a Canbus box In the middle, so we can't teach the unit anything. The functions are coded. There's a mute button on my steering, so that works. But mute mic, is not there and cannot be taught. The
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 21:34   #159
BHPian

Hi Frank, Your thread has been immensely helpful in identifying the various mods and has helped me in deciding which all accessories I need. I have noted down all the links you provided, but you have not mentioned where you sourced your GTI steering wheel and how much it costed.

If it was purchased via online, pl share the link and also pl tell us from where you got it installed.
petrol_power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 23:27   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Hi. I'm glad you liked the unit.
Where did you procure the pioneer mic? I have ordered an El cheapo one from Ali. But i think a higher quality one would be nice.
I bought it from Reliable Radio (Amol) at Shop No. 30, Kartar Mansion, Tribhuvan Rd, Off Lamington Road, from where I got the unit installed in my car.

Quote:
As for the right and left hand thing, it is very easy. Go to settings, factory settings, enter 126 as code and go to last tab and click on "rudder"
Restart unit and you're done.
Thanks will try this out!

Quote:
As for the steering, we have a Canbus box In the middle, so we can't teach the unit anything. The functions are coded. There's a mute button on my steering, so that works. But mute mic, is not there and cannot be taught. The
Unfortunately in the steering there are 2 buttons - one is the actual mute button which does that functionality as well as the speak command button on the right hand side which instead also acts as a mute button and was trying hard to reconfigure with no success.
Old 2nd November 2015, 19:31   #161

Hi Frank,

I am a newbie here on this forum but I have been following your posts with a great deal of interest. I purchased a Vento TSI myself this Jan and was looking of ways to spruce it up. Then I stumpled upon your blog and have been following it ever since.

I love the stuff that you have ordered and upgraded and someday (the next day after warranty expiry) I might follow suit.

I just had a question though. I thought the cruise control lever not come with the GTI steering wheel? Where did you purchase that from and where did you get it fitted?

Last edited by ampere : 2nd November 2015 at 20:15. Reason: Formatted post
farzadm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 16:07   #162
BHPian

Hi Frank, a quick question. The Head unit model that you have purchased is with CANBUS. what is it and what functions does it aide in the car?

I also see a 8" model in aliexpress without CANBUS, what difference does an unit without CANBUS do?

What will I miss if i buy the model without CANBUS?
Pr_007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 17:28   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farzadm View Post
Hi Frank,

I am a newbie here on this forum but I have been following your posts with a great deal of interest. I purchased a Vento TSI myself this Jan and was looking of ways to spruce it up. Then I stumpled upon your blog and have been following it ever since.

I love the stuff that you have ordered and upgraded and someday (the next day after warranty expiry) I might follow suit.

I just had a question though. I thought the cruise control lever not come with the GTI steering wheel? Where did you purchase that from and where did you get it fitted?
Cruise control stalk has been ordered with its own wiring loom.
That's already with me. Waiting for Gannu_1 to finish his cruise control installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr_007 View Post
Hi Frank, a quick question. The Head unit model that you have purchased is with CANBUS. what is it and what functions does it aide in the car?

I also see a 8" model in aliexpress without CANBUS, what difference does an unit without CANBUS do?

What will I miss if i buy the model without CANBUS?
Buy with Canbus only. Canbus works to get steering controls working as well as sends a signal to start the reverse camera.
Also, the Canbus box shows up a lot of info in the head unit which cannot be ignored.
In all, a Canbus box is a must.
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 14:25   #164
BHPian

I got the same HU ordered and installed it couple of weeks back. My car interior looks so much premium now. I had couple of other 8" Android HU shortlisted but your installation and review sealed the deal. I see quite a few other members bought the HU, and I know some other non-member Polo/GT owners planning to buy this same unit. From your one purchase, I guess this seller made fortunes
I have not connected USB cables, not a fan of cables dangling near the steering wheel or inside the glove box. Built in memory and SD card slots or enough for me. Though I have connected the GPS receiver to the HU I haven't sticked it on the dashboard yet. I am planning to buy this shark-fin antenna which should support both GPS and GSM and will remove the supplied GPS receiver.

Quote:
Apparently, the Bluetooth version of the OBD-II adaptor doesn't pair with the Android Head Unit. Which means that I need to buy the Wi-Fi version of the adaptor. I will definitely try it out and tell you. I already have the paid version of the Torque Pro app.
I too have Torque paid app installed and am about to place order for BT OBD adapter. So I guess you have already tried with BT adapter? I remember product description saying it supports BT adaptor. I will hold on to this one for now.

Quote:
I had to reset it once, when it came back from the A.S.S. I am sure the people at the workshop had a good time playing with the settings.
That's my major concern too. I had this problem with my earlier ride as well. Every time car returns from service center all HU settings and audio profiles are messed up!! I did try install some screen lock apps on this one but because there is no option on the installed OS itself to lock the screen, an independent app won't be any help unfortunately. Still trying to figure out something.

Quote:
Caller name shows on the head unit only if you sync contacts onto the head unit (which is going to happen if you input your Google account)
I need some help here, I am logged into my google/gmail account on the HU, phone is connected via BT. When I make/receive call only number is displayed, no names!! What am I missing here ?
BlueEyes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 15:12   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post

I too have Torque paid app installed and am about to place order for BT OBD adapter. So I guess you have already tried with BT adapter? I remember product description saying it supports BT adaptor. I will hold on to this one for now.
Hi BlueEyes the BT ELM327 adaptor works fine with the said HU and hence you can go ahead with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
I need some help here, I am logged into my google/gmail account on the HU, phone is connected via BT. When I make/receive call only number is displayed, no names!! What am I missing here ?
Well I see some of the calls as numbers and some as names and guess that is down to all the numbers not getting synced on Google. That said in the BT module there is an option to sync your phone call log details. Try doing that and check.

Another issue I have seen is the 16gb memory of the HU is divided into 1Gb where all programs are stored. This will lead to the memory getting filled up soon coz not all apps can be moved to SD card.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks