Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2015, 08:57   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
It may be useless on manual transmission cars, but I find it very useful on my Rapid DSG.

I drove from Lonavala to Pune till expressway exit on cruise control. I set the cruise control at 120kmph. Of-course you have to brake and the CC will be disengaged. But with DSG , as soon as you press the resume button, DSG works it magic and attains the set speed in no time. It is ultra comfortable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamsukh View Post
Frank, I too am keenly following your installation of the cruise control stalk and await your installation and running experience. However am surprised that the image you have shown is of the older stalk where the trip meter functions are on the right stalk. While your GT TSI is the newer variant where all controls are on the steering wheel.

From the post of Ventoman and his TSI, "the part number is 6R0953521B for newer Polo/Vento as the MFD display buttons are now integrated to steering wheel."

Any specific reason for going with the older version? Also can you share the link for it?

Further wanted to check if the vcds cable you purchases is working fine and would you recommend us to pick that one up?

Also awaiting the photographs of your Android HU eagerly!
I agree about the merits of cruise control, and I totally relate with what F150 has said.

As of now, I am very skeptical of the cruise control install. I have pored over forums where it has been an absolute nightmare to install the system and make it work. Once it works, it does so flawlessly, though.

The older version of the stalk was bought out of lack of knowledge and proper research in one of those 'midnight' buys (oh, we all regret those, sometimes!)

The VCDS cable works fine, but my Macbook Pro running Windows 10 doesn't really like the cable.

As for photos of the HU, sure! Today or tomorrow for sure!

GUYS, is Auto headlights supported in our BCM by default? Or does it not work?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VOLKS...74_75,201560_1

This is the kit that I want to get!

Last edited by ampere : 8th October 2015 at 09:25. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 00:01   #122
Senior - BHPian

re: Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!

Ok so, there's a LOAD of updates for today!!!!

Got the TPMS system delivered yesterday and boy, was I impressed with the build quality, packaging, and documentation. The package shipped from HK on 6th and was delivered on the 8th. Paid Rs. 2000 as customs. So that makes the landed cost around 14k. Quite steep, but then you get this, you're not going to complain!!!

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151008_195622.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151008_195716.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151008_195719.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151008_195733.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151008_200025.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151008_200034.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151008_200202.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151008_200232.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151008_200243.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151008_200256.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151008_200315.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151008_200322.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151008_200350.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151008_200355.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151008_200403.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151008_200409.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151008_200419.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151008_200440.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151008_200509_004_01.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151008_200509_013.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151009_161624.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151009_161627.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151009_161631.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151009_185317.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151009_185318.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151009_185330.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151009_221919.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151009_221905.jpg

Got it installed today too! And here's the video!

Last edited by frankmehta : 10th October 2015 at 00:18.
frankmehta is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 00:13   #123
Senior - BHPian

Also, got the OE armrest fitted. Trust me, guys, this thing took less than 10 minutes to install and is SO amazingly comfortable and practical, and also has
storage inside. I am stoked by it's presence, and I recommend it to everyone! Impeccable quality, and so well integrated.

BY THE WAY, this link just worked. The GTI install is just a 10 minute install with this installation link!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...226&type=3#_=_

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151009_221950.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151009_222011.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151009_222028.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151009_222043.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151009_222110.jpg

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151009_222115.jpg

Also, managed to get Torque working on the Android Head Unit. A photo and a video!

Frankmehta's VW Polo GT TSI! EDIT: Sold!-20151009_154437.jpg

Last edited by frankmehta : 10th October 2015 at 00:16.
frankmehta is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 06:51   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Also, got the OE armrest fitted.
Also, managed to get Torque working on the Android Head Unit. A photo and a video!
The OE armrest looks very good. I too have ordered the same. Will follow the same link you have provided to fit it.

The video you have shared is marked private. Can you change the privacy setting of the video to "Unlisted"? Also, awaiting your full review on the Android HU with more photos, videos etc. I am planning to upgrade my HU and right now have shortlisted the RCD510 + 9W7 Bluetooth combo and your android HU.

EDIT: Is this HU plug and play replacement? The website shows a plethora of wires and connectors that come with the unit. When fixing to the Polo, does the connector that is already connected to the present RCD320 system directly plug into the connector in the android HU, or does it require some modifications?

Last edited by graaja : 10th October 2015 at 07:16.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 09:35   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The OE armrest looks very good. I too have ordered the same. Will follow the same link you have provided to fit it.

The video you have shared is marked private. Can you change the privacy setting of the video to "Unlisted"? Also, awaiting your full review on the Android HU with more photos, videos etc. I am planning to upgrade my HU and right now have shortlisted the RCD510 + 9W7 Bluetooth combo and your android HU.

EDIT: Is this HU plug and play replacement? The website shows a plethora of wires and connectors that come with the unit. When fixing to the Polo, does the connector that is already connected to the present RCD320 system directly plug into the connector in the android HU, or does it require some modifications?

The OE armrest is a must and should have come in all Highline variants of the Polo.
Changed video settings to PUBLIC. Sorry for the trouble.
Please do not waste your money on an RCD510 plus 9W7 combo. The only, ONLY advantage this combo has over the Android unit is superior call quality. The Android head unit has poor microphone quality. I have ordered a new, higher quality microphone, since the unit has a universal jack, which accepts any external microphone solution.
About the Plug & Play part, yes, it's partly plug and play, but reverse camera and amplifier connections might require a little knowledge. Also, it's not a DIY since you need to know which connections to tap from your OE socket for the auxiliary devices.
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 10:52   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please do not waste your money on an RCD510 plus 9W7 combo. The only, ONLY advantage this combo has over the Android unit is superior call quality. The Android head unit has poor microphone quality. I have ordered a new, higher quality microphone, since the unit has a universal jack, which accepts any external microphone solution.
About the Plug & Play part, yes, it's partly plug and play, but reverse camera and amplifier connections might require a little knowledge. Also, it's not a DIY since you need to know which connections to tap from your OE socket for the auxiliary devices.
Thanks Frank. Following are what I see as advantages and disadvantages between the RCD510+9W7 combo and the Android unit.

RCD510 Advantages:
Integrated amplifier directly drives the speakers
Can be a DIY
Integrates optical parking sensors
Better call quality

RCD510 Disadvantages:
Bluetooth not integrated
No navigation option

Android unit Advantages:
Better UI
7" Touch screen
Android support
Navigation using Google Maps

Android disadvantages:
Requires external amplifier
Not a DIY install
Requires complex cable assemblies to bridge between original connector and the unit

Comparing the above, if an external mic with good quality is fixed in a good location, I think the Android unit definitely looks a better solution.

I have some follow up questions.

1. Where did you get the amplifier? Did you source it locally or did you get it from AliExpress? What is the cost?
2. Was the installation done without affecting the original cable assembly? Or were any wires cut?
3. Did you order any custom cable assemblies to bridge the original cable assembly with the android unit? Or did the installer get this done locally?
4. Do the steering wheel controls work with the Android unit?
5. Does the android unit support Optical Parking sensors through the CAN bus?
6. Are you planning for reverse camera integration? Have you got any camera modules? If yes, can you share details and links?
7. How is the sound quality? I guess the sound quality will greatly depend on the amplifier, but just want to confirm the pre-out audio is of good quality.

Please bear with me for the deluge of questions. I would like to get everything right before I bite the bullet.

Thanks in advance for all your patience and pointers.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 11:07   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
RCD510 Advantages:
Integrates optical parking sensors
We don't HAVE optical parking sensors. And by the way the Android head unit also supports OPS. We have a CANBUS box with it, that supports all these features.

Quote:
Android disadvantages:
Requires external amplifier
Not a DIY install
Requires complex cable assemblies to bridge between original connector and the unit
It has a built in amp that can drive speakers. But I don't use it.
Also, it does NOT need any complex cable assemblies. I told you, it's a plug and play fit if you don't want extra ancillaries.

Quote:
Comparing the above, if an external mic with good quality is fixed in a good location, I think the Android unit definitely looks a better solution.
An external microphone changes the whole picture. I will post my findings when I get the mic.

Quote:
1. Where did you get the amplifier? Did you source it locally or did you get it from AliExpress? What is the cost?
Many, many years ago, I had a very HUGE affinity for ICE. So I do have lots of equipment lying around. Most equipment here was a direct fit from the Swift, and then the Cruze. The Clarion amplifier has seen 5 cars, though.

Quote:
2. Was the installation done without affecting the original cable assembly? Or were any wires cut?
Yes, even a basic installer avoids cutting anything factory now.
Quote:
3. Did you order any custom cable assemblies to bridge the original cable assembly with the android unit? Or did the installer get this done locally?
Everything that's needed just comes in the packaging.

Quote:
4. Do the steering wheel controls work with the Android unit?
Yes, out of the box. With the attached CANBUS box.

Quote:
5. Does the android unit support Optical Parking sensors through the CAN bus?
Yes, this, and much more with the CANBUS.

Quote:
6. Are you planning for reverse camera integration? Have you got any camera modules? If yes, can you share details and links?
I already have an HD camera mounted above my license plate. It's a DHC camera and is very good quality. This was procured here by my installation team.

Quote:
7. How is the sound quality? I guess the sound quality will greatly depend on the amplifier, but just want to confirm the pre-out audio is of good quality.
More so, on the speakers, and then the amps. The source, of course, decides how good or bad speakers will sound, but this unit is in the middle. Nothing exceptional, yet FLAC and WAV formats, along with digital streaming wows you at times.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th October 2015 at 18:46. Reason: Fixing quote tag
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 01:12   #128
Senior - BHPian

Hey Frank - while looking around for the Android based HUs, did you come across VW lookalike iOS HUs too? I am looking for one but haven't been able to find one yet?
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 18:42   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Hey Frank - while looking around for the Android based HUs, did you come across VW lookalike iOS HUs too? I am looking for one but haven't been able to find one yet?
I have never come across aftemarket iOS HU's. And you probably never will. If you do, it might be a cheap knock off with a non-standard OS. iOS devices and products are only released by Apple Inc. and believing that any other company can release them is difficult, purely due to the closed nature of their devices and softwares.
Old 13th October 2015, 15:04   #130
BANNED

Quote:
I have never come across aftemarket iOS HU's. And you probably never will. If you do, it might be a cheap knock off with a non-standard OS. iOS devices and products are only released by Apple Inc. and believing that any other company can release them is difficult, purely due to the closed nature of their devices and softwares.
Might be confusion with https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

The swift windsong edition came with a sony HU that was car play enabled
Old 18th October 2015, 20:33   #131
BHPian

Quote:

Negatives:
1. Poor sound customisation options.
2. Bluetooth mic quality not 100%
8. Lollipop update future not very sure.

Have taken some screenshots in the head unit and need to transfer to the USB drive. Will do it and post here this week...
Frank please do share some screenshots of the head unit esp the one of canbus integration features. Does it show the optical representation of the default rear parking sensors of the car?

I checked with the vendor and he has stated that in the next 4-6 months they expect a Android upgrade to Lollipop.

However does it give the feel of what is shown in VW Android adaptation as shown below:

http://www.vwcarnetconnect.com/

How does the sound compare with the stock RCD 320?
Jamsukh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 15:07   #132
BHPian

Quote:
The Android head unit has poor microphone quality. I have ordered a new, higher quality microphone, since the unit has a universal jack, which accepts any external microphone solution.
Hi Frank, basis your feedback I too have placed an order for the said Android unit. I understand the unit comes with an external microphone as well? Is the quality of that good?

Have you installed the external microphone and where have you placed it?

Thanks for all your inputs and insights! It makes things easy for us to adopt.
Old 24th October 2015, 11:19   #133
BHPian

Hey Frank!

You promised me a shot with VCDS cable once it arrived!
Old 24th October 2015, 11:27   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Frank please do share some screenshots of the head unit esp the one of canbus integration features. Does it show the optical representation of the default rear parking sensors of the car?

I checked with the vendor and he has stated that in the next 4-6 months they expect a Android upgrade to Lollipop.

However does it give the feel of what is shown in VW Android adaptation as shown below:

http://www.vwcarnetconnect.com/

How does the sound compare with the stock RCD 320?

Quote:
Hi Frank, basis your feedback I too have placed an order for the said Android unit. I understand the unit comes with an external microphone as well? Is the quality of that good?

Have you installed the external microphone and where have you placed it?

Thanks for all your inputs and insights! It makes things easy for us to adopt.

Hi. Sorry for the late replies.
1. Our cars don't come with Optical parking sensors anymore. So the unit doesn't display that on the screen. With the rear cameras, you don't need that display anymore.
What it does display is which individual door is opened and shut, and also displays a lot of other information without connecting the unit to obd via Bluetooth! Like battery voltage, fuel mass (no of litres present in tank), handbrake status, battery low status, seat belt status, engine rpm, speed and other parameters. This is via Canbus and not via obd. So it's pretty cool!

2. The microphone that came with the unit in my car was not of good quality. I've asked for an Olympus microphone that you can attach in a Go Pro camera. Hence, quality should be good. Waiting for it to arrive. I shall place is just behind the sun visor, clipped on to the edge of the roof carpet via the lapel clip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ish View Post
Hey Frank!

You promised me a shot with VCDS cable once it arrived!
Sure. The cable is working fine. You need to download the vcds software on your laptop. Or just get your car down to my place and we can do it.
frankmehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2015, 23:39   #135
BHPian

Quote:
2. The microphone that came with the unit in my car was not of good quality. I've asked for an Olympus microphone that you can attach in a Go Pro camera. Hence, quality should be good. Waiting for it to arrive. I shall place is just behind the sun visor, clipped on to the edge of the roof carpet via the lapel clip.
Thanks Frank for your inputs. Its sad to know that the inbuilt microphone & external one supplied by them doesn't do the job well. Do let us know how the Olympus Microphone works.

One more query - where did you fix the gps antenna in the car? Want to avoid keeping it on the dash and would prefer to put it out of sight. But doubt it will work without line of sight.

They are apparently shipping an OBD Bluetooth with the device as well.
Jamsukh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks