Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2015, 11:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Mrs. frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Keep an eye on your Fuel Efficiency.
80 to 100 takes more time ? Disturbed the back pressure ? Not sure whether its right to remove the catalytic conveter. Removing the resonator is Okay . Many tuners say that the catalytic converter nowadays are very well designed to provide the proper back pressure.

The flat spot was a myth. Sorry, I was not really sure if it was there or not. But I'm glad to inform you that there is no such thing!
And sir, removing the Cat has made a whole hell of a difference. The low and mid end are an absolute pleasure. The car feels light, nimble footed and quite punchy. It's not a placebo as driving 200 km in regular traffic is enough to make out a change, if any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
De-Cat gave gains on the 1.2TSI. Smaller engines need all the free flow they can get.
Haha. You've kinda spoken my mind. My 1.2 tsi is next (monstrous laughter)
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2015, 17:21   #47
BHPian

Excellent thread Mr. Mehta! I too was planning an exhaust mod on my Brio. However, since my dad will pay for it, I first need to convince him
Also, is there a cheaper option for the exhaust?
Impala59 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 01:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

In other news, I opened the bonnet of the car to top up the windshield washer fluid today and was shocked to see the under surface of the bonnet. From what I remember, the Brios and Amazes in the showroom had this plastic contraption on the undersurface of their bonnets. Basically, this was a guide for the cool air from the bonnet into the air intake of the air filter box.

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-hondabrio02.jpg

My car didn't have this!
Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-201302050594.jpg

I was alarmed and I asked my Honda SA and also the RSM of Hallmark Honda. They said they would check and get back to me. Both opened the hoods of the Amazes around them and sent me a photo.
Both photos had the damn air intake thing on their bonnets, and this meant either two things, Honda forgot to put it onto my car (highly unlikely) or it was removed for some purpose and never put back.
All these thoughts were racing in my head, when suddenly the RSM sent me a text message saying all models after the Honda Brio 'S' variant had this plastic intake.

I was taken aback. I agree, Honda should skimp on the creature comforts of the higher models to give us base models, but since all variants came with the same engines, it also meant their requirements of air intake were equal. The fact that my car didn't come with this guide (abysmal example of cost cutting) meant that I was feeding hot air from the engine bay into the intake box. Basically the job of this intake guide is to direct cool air into the box, without mixing it with the hot air in the engine bay. With my 'guide' missing, I was involuntarily feeding hot air into my engine. NOT DONE, HONDA! I am going to the workshop tomorrow and demanding this 'basic' plastic fitting be fitted in my car (I don't mind paying for it, but it is sure to leave a bad taste in my mouth)

I will post findings about this as the day advances.

In other news, the constant need to upgrade the car continues, and part #33-2422 was ordered from the K&N stables, and a stock replacement filter will soon grace the car.
Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-screen-shot-20150929-01.40.34.png
Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-screen-shot-20150929-01.40.26.png
Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-screen-shot-20150929-01.40.42.png
Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-screen-shot-20150929-01.40.49.png
Cheers guys!
frankmehta is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 14:36   #49
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Honda should skimp on the creature comforts of the higher models to give us base models, but since all variants came with the same engines, it also meant their requirements of air intake were equal. I am going to the workshop tomorrow and demanding this 'basic' plastic fitting be fitted in my car (I don't mind paying for it, but it is sure to leave a bad taste in my mouth)
What also seems to be missing from your Brio is the under-bonnet insulation that came as a standard fitment. My Brio is a 2012 mid-variant SMT(O) and has both the air-intake scoop and the under bonnet insulation. Please demand that Honda fit these to your car even if you have to pay for it. This attitude clearly reeks of cost cutting which is unfair coming from a manufacturer such as Honda.
gpa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 00:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

I went to Honda today and ordered the part nos. They said the part nos. Could not be ordered from my car's VIN which means that my model, the E, base variant did not come with the above Cooling Duct and Cloth inside the bonnet.

So they used their boss's VIN (top variant) and ordered the parts for my car.
The cooling duct is a mere Rs. 489 rupees but the insulating cloth was 700 bucks. (that's expensive)
Also, clips and install would add around 3-400 rupees.

Phew, at least I can retro fit these essential parts, which technically should have come pre - installed in all variants. After all, the poor engine needs to breath well, be it the base variant or the top variant..

In all, another top class experience with Hallmark Honda and I appreciate how they deal with fussy customers like Me.
They said this is the first time an E model customer has asked for a part like this and they will receive it from their Honda factory soon...

I am relieved.
Old 30th September 2015, 03:06   #51
Senior - BHPian

Thats a really sweet sounding exhaust. 10.5k is pretty cheap. I so want to fit my ritz with one however the Automech dealer in Kolkata wants 21k for a ss one. Atleast thats what he wanted for my esteem last year and am sure it would be more now. Automech also refuses to ship one to Kolkata and would only deal through him.

What about warranty? What does your SA have to say about that ?
Old 30th September 2015, 06:45   #52
Senior - BHPian

Oh that's a pity.. My sa heard the exhaust note yesterday and was very excited to take her for a spin.
I don't think he'll be anal about the warranty.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 11:41   #53
BHPian

Frank, reading your post I can't seem to agree that our Brio has both these parts as well - the cooling duct and the insulation cloth.

It's a June 2012 SMT. Should I be concerned? Are these a part of the deal for SMT model?

I need to check as soon as I return home tonight.
ankitahuja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2015, 15:47   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In other news, the constant need to upgrade the car continues, and part #33-2422 was ordered from the K&N stables, and a stock replacement filter will soon grace the car.
You could have gone for a full custom cold air intake. Automech had crafted one for my old 800. They had designed the pipe and fitted a conical K&N filter. The difference between the stock replacement filter and the conical is much better and the intake noise was to die for.

Edit: Prior to the conical filter, i also had a stock replacement filter which i would use in the rainy season by removing the CAI. The engine definitely breathes better with the conical.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 30th September 2015 at 15:48.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 23:13   #55
Senior - BHPian

I got a check-engine light! This was expected, since i removed both the cat-cons.
Now I need to figure a solution where the second O2 sensor (the one after the cat) doesn't throw up the reading to the ECU. (this error cropped up on Torque)
Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-screenshot_20150924172820.png
An easy fix is raising the height of the o2 sensor with a bung, but it's not working in my car.

Any solutions?
Old 10th October 2015, 13:39   #56
Senior - BHPian

So I ordered a K&N Replacement Filter (model no. 33-2422) from Italy via post. It travelled to my address in Milan and came to India from there via courier in 4 days. I paid 800 rupees for freight and 500 as duty.

Despite this, I still managed to pay much less than HALF of Indian MRP. Such is the apathy of legit car products in India! The taxes are too damn high!

Anyway, I installed the same in my car today. It was a 3 minute DIY. Honda doesn't really make it tough to replace consumables in their cars.
The car has done 4747 km and the stock filter was quite dirty. Not dirty enough to throw away, so I have kept it. Here are some photos. Drove 2 km with this filter on. I see NO difference in ANYTHING. Nothing at all. It's the old, proverbial SNAKE OIL! But I just put it in because I got a great deal on the filter. I expect nothing from it. EVEN though, they advertise 'the benefits' so much. I had it on the Swift, and there was no tangible difference even then. But such is the draw of these products. Whether they give you any benefits or not, they are marketed in such a way that you always want to give them that one last try!:dead horse

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20151010_122033.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20151010_122037.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20151010_122040.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20151010_122042.jpg

Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!-20151010_122317.jpg
frankmehta is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 14:37   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. I see NO difference in ANYTHING. Nothing at all. It's the old, proverbial SNAKE OIL! But I just put it in because I got a great deal on the filter. I expect nothing from it. EVEN though, they advertise 'the benefits' so much. I had it on the Swift, and there was no tangible difference even then.
Thank you sir for your honest opinion. I have never believed in such plug & play after market filters and your honest review confirms the same. If in any corner of my mind I had the urge to use it, its gone now.

A clean OEM filter is much better (& safer) bet.

Thanks!
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 15:20   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Drove 2 km with this filter on. I see NO difference in ANYTHING.
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
K&N will go crazy if they read your post regarding no effect of the car after the air filter replacement.

Honestly, rather than putting 5K+ on this air filter, it best to channel the money on detailing or may be some kind of gadgets or best of the lot for fuel. Till date none of my friends who have used it have given a positive review on this filter that can urge me to buy one for my Swift. I'd be better off to put that 5K amount on fuel.

If I am not wrong, there is a slight difference in sound (during acceleration) too as compared to stock air filter?

Psychological marketing tactics these are.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 15:57   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I see NO difference in ANYTHING. Nothing at all. It's the old, proverbial SNAKE OIL!
I unfortunately learnt this the hard way for my M800 MPFI. Generally this stock replacement filter retails for Rs. 5000. However one day it was available for Rs. 2400 on Amazon. Ordered it without any delay. One ride with it and I was in for a huge surprise- no difference in either sound, or acceleration or mileage.
Luckily there are a lot of people going after the K&N brandname, and I managed to sell this " one week used K&N" filter on OLX for a greater price than I bought for.
The person who bought those was more than happy to get brand new filters for 3K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

Thanks!
I agree!! Both from an economic point of view and engine safety. I have read many contradicting reports on other international forums that K&Ns have done more harm to engine than good due to their reduced filtration rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

If I am not wrong, there is a slight difference in sound (during acceleration) too as compared to stock air filter?

Psychological marketing tactics these are.
No sound difference, since this is a stock replacement filter. If you go for the conical K&Ns, then there will be that trademark K&N roar during acceleration.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 10th October 2015 at 16:13.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 20:21   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Finally the recording you all were waiting for! Remember to put on your computer speakers or attach headphones to feel the literal bass in the track!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...JrVk9LbnJDNktR
Sounds like an Italian sports car from the 60s

Cheers
Nikhil
nsbhagwat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks