Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2018, 14:54   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mrs. Frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Hello guys!
We managed to crack the Bosch ecu! That's the first Indian made Honda Brio with a 1.5 litre engine running with a stock setup and a remapped Bosch ecu.
That's a crazy linear power delivery! Time to go for a 6 speed GB and better stopping power with stiffer springs. Way to go Doc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Insane linear sweep of the needle! Have you upgraded the stopping power? You might want to invest in a roll cage now.
True that! With the cage, a track day in the BIC or the Kari motor speedway, this will be a real sleeper monster and can take a lot of higher powered heavier vehicles by complete surprise.
AlphaKilo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 15:04   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh! And great news! This is the first Indian Brio to be delimited! We could easily go to 220 kmph on the dyno but we didn't because we weren't sure of external factors!
Great job. Time to be worried about a certain Brio in Bombay now. It'll easily give my stock Abarth a run for its money. Can we expect to see this car in the future Valley run / Speed run?
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 17:17   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Insane linear sweep of the needle! Have you upgraded the stopping power? You might want to invest in a roll cage now.
Yes, sure! I shall ask my mom if she needs a roll cage
Jokes apart, this car doesn't see even 50 kmph on a daily basis. Such is the irony of this 'project car.'
On the other hand, the fact that my family drives it also highlights the versatility and the robustness of the build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
This is just insane Frank . The linear speed gain , linear acceleration and the engine sounded as if it was doing it without even sweating a bit . You should give us all a ride in this go cart .

On a side not , it the car sticking to the ground while doing these speeds . How does it feel when it crossed 150 ++ . I know the car is light and small am wondering if you feel that you're still in control while doing those insane speeds ?

Lots and lots of questions .

but I am awestruck .
The Brio is NOT a handler, nor is it a corner carver. But one thing is very certain, it is VERY stable at good speeds and surprisingly, the brakes are more than adequate for good, hard runs.
After delimiting, this thing would be a different story, though and I am quite sure she would need better brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
That's a crazy linear power delivery! Time to go for a 6 speed GB and better stopping power with stiffer springs. Way to go Doc!
I was actually thinking if the Mobilio 6 speed GB will fit into the same drivetrain in a stock manner. If it does, I will be doing that, next!
The ride quality is very stiff, anyway. I don't need stiffer than this in a daily driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
True that! With the cage, a track day in the BIC or the Kari motor speedway, this will be a real sleeper monster and can take a lot of higher powered heavier vehicles by complete surprise.
I have never taken her on the track, but it has surprised MANY big cars at the signal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Great job. Time to be worried about a certain Brio in Bombay now. It'll easily give my stock Abarth a run for its money. Can we expect to see this car in the future Valley run / Speed run?
I have never participated in any track races, or runs, but I think this may change sometime soon.
I will have to check if the 1.5 naturally aspirated segment exists or not.
frankmehta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 17:27   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys!
We managed to crack the Bosch ecu! That's the first Indian made Honda Brio with a 1.5 litre engine running with a stock setup and a remapped Bosch ecu.
Special thanks to Zakie from TunedIChips who flew down from Colombo to map my car and a huge hug to Karan Shah for dynoing my car and putting up with our nonsense.
We are all so intently glued onto this thread. Thank you for bringing in the kid in every Honda fan in the country. The company has lost a bit of sheen lately and such intuitive thinking from someone in their payroll will serve them well.

You sure have got my interest tingling, as I acquired a Honda Jazz CVT recently. To know that the gearbox is the same that's used in the Honda City and to have these information filtering from your thread - what can I say? I am all eyes and ears now. Karan may be hearing from me pretty soon.

By the way, I have been going to Amol from Reliable for a few years now, and he talks very highly of you. I can be rest assured, your sense of selection is impeccable. Thank you once again.
Overlander is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2018, 14:04   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
We are all so intently glued onto this thread. Thank you for bringing in the kid in every Honda fan in the country. The company has lost a bit of sheen lately and such intuitive thinking from someone in their payroll will serve them well.

You sure have got my interest tingling, as I acquired a Honda Jazz CVT recently. To know that the gearbox is the same that's used in the Honda City and to have these information filtering from your thread - what can I say? I am all eyes and ears now. Karan may be hearing from me pretty soon.

By the way, I have been going to Amol from Reliable for a few years now, and he talks very highly of you. I can be rest assured, your sense of selection is impeccable. Thank you once again.

Thanks for the kind words. I believe the Jazz will be an easier conversion due to the ECU being more responsive to the swap.
Old 31st March 2021, 12:10   #111
Senior - BHPian

New battery, new suspension, new clutch, new brakes and new starter.

This is all I have needed to spend on my Crio in the last few weeks!

She's reliable and FAST!

Our family HAS got an upgrade bug and we may be getting a new Automatic car for Mom.

Need advice: Keep her in her current guise, or put her up for for sale in her current guise OR put the old engine back in and put her up for sale!

Thanks in advance.
frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 18:43   #112
BHPian

Quote:

Need advice: Keep her in her current guise, or put her up for sale in her current guise OR put the old engine back in and put her up for sale!
If you can keep her in her current guise, KEEP HER!

This is undoubtedly a passion project. Why your baby go? Besides, unless you sell her to an enthusiast, I'd imagine the resale value would be below market compared to a stock Brio (even after the conversion).

You said it yourself – "she's reliable and FAST". That's the dream combo! A perfect pocket rocket for the city.

The only exception to this is if you need the cash to get the new AT car. Or if you don't see yourself using the car that much in the foreseeable future. In which case, best to sell her in her current guise to someone who will drive her like she's meant to be driven
AnInternetUser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 12:40   #113
Senior - BHPian

We took delivery of a Hyundai Venue 1.0GDI manual SX this month.
The car is a silent monster and is everything my parents needed in a car and more.

The Crio, on the other hand, is back with me. We were reunited properly after a good 4 years. Drives like a charm, and I just upgraded the ICE on the car this week.
I intend to give her a slight makeover cosmetically, and I believe, a new map, when Wolf Moto comes to Mumbai again.

She's still a BOMB. 6 years old, with 40000 on the odo, and 28000 with the new engine.
Testimonial to the bulletproof swap that was done in her 2nd year.

Love her to bits.

Moral of the story: WE ARE NOT SELLING!
frankmehta is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 13:35   #114

Re: Mrs. frankmehta's Honda "CRIO™": Brio with a City Engine!

Is there any performance benefit that you have seen after installing the air duct??, love the swap.
sid@0005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 17:30   #115
BHPian

Oh My God! I just stumbled upon this thread. The car has been transforming like an AVATAR in the virtual reality world. Unbelievable.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 11:37   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid@0005 View Post
Is there any performance benefit that you have seen after installing the air duct??, love the swap.
No performance benefits seen after the air duct. I didn't perceive anything notable.
Thanks for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Oh My God! I just stumbled upon this thread. The car has been transforming like an AVATAR in the virtual reality world. Unbelievable.
Thank you!

There's a long planned upgrade on the cards.

HINT: I may be shifting up a gear soon!
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 20:29   #117

Love the spontaneous reply but,

Sorry to bug you again, but you are my only source of reliable information. I am also planning to swap my brio with a similar 1.5 l Honda city engine.

Please let me know the things that I need to be careful about. Your experience with the swap will be helpful as it would give me an upper hand in getting things done without screwing it up.

Also another question, does any modification take place in the gearbox or clutch side of things?

Is the ac compressor and alternator from the 1.5 or stock 1.2 as the stock ones that come with the brio are really weak?

What would be your choice of Ecu for a hassle free swap?

will also share updates as the swap progresses
Old 16th August 2022, 20:52   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also another question, does any modification take place in the gearbox or clutch side of things?
Nope, nothing on that side.

Quote:
Is the ac compressor and alternator from the 1.5 or stock 1.2 as the stock ones that come with the brio are really weak?
Nope. Works well and chills the cabin as well as it did since she came. Try checking your cooling coil (condensor) for leaks, or a small refrigerant leak elsewhere.

Quote:
What would be your choice of Ecu for a hassle free swap?
STOCK! I have a Bosch Motronics ECU that was difficult to work with, but if you have a Keihin ECU, it's very simple to just load a 1.5 map on it.

feel free to DM me, or email me.
for my contact details, please DM.
frankmehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 21:18   #119

Thanks Dr that will do, really appreciate the quick reply. Will definitely let you know if i need anything
Old 21st May 2023, 18:36   #120
BHPian

Happened to chance upon this thread after someone linked it on @Ovais's 1.3L City swap and I'm so happy I did, doing this to a Brio has been such an intrusive thought for me and barring that fact that I'm not 18 yet, I'd have done this in a heartbeat

I know I'm pretty late to the party but how much did procuring the new engine cost you?
jono213 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks