Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2017, 15:30   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective

Today being a Sunday I cleaned the car and thought of cleaning the air filter as well, inspired by fellow BHPian procrj. However when I tried to rotate the screw (encircled in the picture below) of Air Filter Housing outlet hose clip with a star screw driver, the whole clip used to flex. Thus the screw could not get the necessary torque to loosen. Tried it 2-3 times, but could not succeed, hence finally gave up. I guess I will have to get the air filter housing opened and the filter replaced during the 20K service only at the MASS, which is about 3K kms away. Till then I will have to live with the presumably dirty air filter.

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-air-filter-housing-outlet-hose-clip2.jpg

I really miss my Indica. Air filter cleaning was such an easy task, just remove the two clips, with thumb pressure, open the front portion of the housing, remove the air filter element, tap to remove the dust, blow compressed air (from vacuum cleaner), fit it back in place, tighten the clips and you are ready to go.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 11:06   #272
Senior - BHPian

To beat the fuel price hike, I did a tankful on 15th Jan from my regular HP bunk. My orange Tank gulped in 46.79 litres of diesel and had covered 703 kms since last tankful, giving a fuel efficiency figure of 15.02 kmpl. Note, out of the above 703 kms, almost 300 kms was on highway (my Konkan trip during Christmas) and the balance running has been home-office-home.

Also from this tankful I am going to modify my driving style a bit. Use the low end torque to amble around in the city and not cross 2000 rpm during upshifting. Sounds difficult, but definitely doable with my driving style.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 17th January 2017 at 11:07.
Old 29th January 2017, 14:18   #273
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I did a one day return trip to Satana (Nasik District). Had to attend one obituary of a relative at 09:00 am. Hence decided to leave home at 04:00 am in the morning. However but the best we could manage was 04:45 am. Fortunately the four laning work of NH60 (erstwhile NH50) Pune-Nasik highway is almost 90% complete. There are diversions at quite a few places, but most of the times I could maintain a steady pace of 90-100 kmph. We were 6 adults and a kid. Due to sparse traffic and no breaks in between we managed to reached Nasik in under three hours. After crossing the Nasik Road railway bridge, took a right turn towards security press bypass and reached NH3 (Mumbai-Agra highway) at Adgaon Naka (near hotel Jatra). After some 50 kms, we reached the Sogras Phata and took a left diversion towards Satana. We crossed Deola and reached our destination, Satana @ 09:15 am. So we could cover 285 kms in 4.5 hours.

During the return journey did a tankful, Normal Diesel from HP bunk, Satana, Nasik, manual cut-off and top-up. Car had covered 700 kms and the tank gulped 50.36 litres of diesel, giving an FE of 13.90 kmpl (lower than expected as 300 kms was highway running and remaining 400 was in city running)

The return journey with one break was covered in 6 hours, caught up in some traffic at Sinnar, Narayangaon & Chakan. Total distance covered on Saturday - 585 kms

Today being a Sunday performed the ritual of car washing and polishing. When I decided to take a peek under the bonnet, I was surprised to see some oil drops on top of the engine cover. Also the oil dip sticks yellow grab handle looked to be soiled. Refer the pictures below. Could it be that due to yesterday's highway running (engine rpm between 2500 and 2750 for prolonged duration), some oil have spilled out through the dip stick? I don't think it was loosely fitted. Need to observe this in the coming days.

Another observation was that near the battery wires, I could see some precipitate. Is this the battery water/ electrolyte that might have come out from the battery? Due to continuous running the battery might have heated up leading to this spillage?

Odo has crossed 18K kms. Tomorrow, i.e. early Monday morning, I have a Pune-Mumbai-Pune returned trip planned. Have to drop my parent's at my cousin's place in Vikhroli and have to reach Pune office by 10:30 am. Doing some reverse calculation. taking 2 hours for onward journey, 3 hours for return and 30 mins margin, planing to leave home at 05:00 am. This trip will add another 270K to the odo.

The soiled grab handle of oil dip stick
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-img_20170129_104119.jpg

The oil dip stick in place
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-img_20170129_104057.jpg

Oil spots on top of the engine cover
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-img_20170129_104026.jpg

Precipitate due to battery electrolyte leaking out
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-img_20170129_103936.jpg

Last edited by AutoIndian : 29th January 2017 at 14:21.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 18:54   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
During the return journey did a tankful, Normal Diesel from HP bunk, Satana, Nasik, manual cut-off and top-up. Car had covered 700 kms and the tank gulped 50.36 litres of diesel, giving an FE of 13.90 kmpl (lower than expected as 300 kms was highway running and remaining 400 was in city running)
Air filter. Change it and see the FE jump up

Quote:
I was surprised to see some oil drops on top of the engine cover. Also the oil dip sticks yellow grab handle looked to be soiled.
Havent observed this in my car even after 750+ kms of driving in a day.

Quote:
Another observation was that near the battery wires, I could see some precipitate. Is this the battery water/ electrolyte that might have come out from the battery? Due to continuous running the battery might have heated up leading to this spillage?
Again I dont think duration of use should have anything to do with this. I haven't checked for precipitate. Will do so once I clean the car next weekend.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 11:04   #275
Senior - BHPian

Two trips to Mumbai & back & a trip to Satana (Nasik) & back within a span of 2 weeks saw my odo cross the 19K mark. Today morning while coming to office it reached this figure. So the year 2017 has started on a good note and turning out to be touring year as wished.

In all likelihood I will have to get ready for the 20K service in the first or second week of March. Tank is performing flawlessly (touchwood). Planning to get the tyre rotation (mounting of spare tyre on alloy) before the service. After the 20K (with air filter and oil change) the tank will get a new lease of life hopefully.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 9th February 2017 at 11:05.
Old 11th March 2017, 19:09   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In all likelihood I will have to get ready for the 20K service in the first or second week of March. Tank is performing flawlessly (touchwood). Planning to get the tyre rotation (mounting of spare tyre on alloy) before the service. After the 20K (with air filter and oil change) the tank will get a new lease of life hopefully.
I had scheduled the 20K service appointment for today i.e. 11th March assuming that my Orange Tank's odo will cross the 20K km mark by this time. However for the last 8 days my office timings changed from 2nd shift to 3rd shift, which meant I could not use my tank for office commute and had to mandatory use the office cab. This meant my odo got stuck at the below mark and could not cross the 20K mark by 11th March.

Odo shy of 20K mark by 252 odd kms.
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-img_20170311_100219.jpg

Also I was not keeping well for the last two days & I had planned to postpone this service by at least week to ten days. However persistent follow up from the service center meant I had to relent & took the car to Kundan Motors at 10:00 am. There was nothing major to report besides the regular oil/filter change. I wanted to get the belt retraction problem addressed and the small dent over the front right wheel fender mended. I particularly asked for the air filter replacement (although the replacement interval is 40K kms). The Service Advisor (SA) was trying to sell me the AC cleaning/ disinfectant (whatever it is called) and charged me Rs 1000/- for that on the service bill estimate. I put my foot down and said a firm no. He immediately striked it off. He asked me if I want to go for wheel alignment/ balancing etc, to which also I said no. The estimate given to me was Rs 3.2K + taxes extra. Promised delivery time 05:00 pm.

To my utter surprise I got a call from the SA @ 02:30 pm itself saying that my car was ready for delivery. This was a pleasant surprise nevertheless. On reaching the service center first thing I looked for was the seat belts, if they were replaced and then the small dent. Both the things were not addressed. Reason being belts not in stock, order placed and for dent removal the fender panel would have to be dismantled and repainted, which would take a long time. Rest of the regular servicing stuff was done. SA promised me that I would be informed as soon as the belts are available. Regarding the dent, I can live with it or will try to get it addressed myself as & when time permits.

The final bill came to Rs 3691/-. Ravinder, when I compared this with your 20K service bill (Rs 3125/-), a difference of Rs 566/-, that is perhaps due to the inclusion of maxicare products in my service. These are some 3M products like dashboard polish, anti-rust on battery terminals, hinges lubrication etc, which my service center invariably does for every service.

Final Invoice - Parts cost break-up
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-img_20170311_173459.jpg

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-20k-service-breakup.jpg
Old 17th March 2017, 22:08   #277
Senior - BHPian

Since a long time I was contemplating on getting a new Jopasu Duster. My existing one is more than two years old and the threads have lost all their wax coating. As a result it does not pick up the dust from the car's body even after multiple swipes. A new Jopasu Duster comes for Rs 679/- (on Amazon). Fortunately while browsing Amazon I came across another Jopasu product called, Jopasu Duster Rejuvenator (500 ml, White). PLaced an order 2 days back for Rs 429/- and received it today evening.

The bottle and the nozzle packed separately
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7160.jpg

My dirty looking Duster after 3 coats of rejuvenator applied
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7161.jpg

Quote:
A unique formula of sprayable highly thick paraffin that rejuvenates the duster to attract dust particles from your car's dusty surface. Keep out of children's reach. Shake well before use.

Process for washing Jopasu Car Duster:
  • Soak the duster in water 2-5 minutes
  • Pour shampoo/liquid detergent over it and generate the foam over the duster by rubbing by hand with help of little water (if powder detergent. 1 litre - 1 teaspoon). Allow it to react for 10-15 minutes.
  • Repeat the procedure one more time if required.
  • Rinse it with fresh water.
  • Allow the Duster to dry for 5-6 hours.
Process of applying Duster Rejuvenator:
  • Check whether the Duster is perfectly dried. Shake the Duster Rejuvenator before use and ensure the sprayer nozzle is in the spray mode and not in stream/off mode.
  • By holding the Duster in one hand, spray Duster Rejuvenator on the Duster at least 50-60 times covering the overall surface o Keep the Duster aside for atleast 30-40 minutes. This step is crucial to allow wax to be soaked on cotton strands. During this time water and solvents evaporate thus making wax absorption successful.
  • Again hold the Duster in one hand, spray Duster Rejuvenator on the Duster at least 50-60 times covering the overall surface. Keep the duster aside for atleast 30-40 minutes.
  • One more time hold the Duster in one hand, spray Duster Rejuvenator on the Duster at least 50-60 times covering the overall surface. Keep the duster aside for atleast 30-40 minutes and allow the duster to dry well.
  • Note that spraying and keeping aside is done three times. Spraying overall for 150-180 times.
After applying 3 coats of this rejuvenating wax on my old duster, I have kept it for drying overnight. Tomorrow morning will try it out on my Dusty TUV and see how effective the duster has become. Depending on the outcome will recommend whether one should go for it or not.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 17th March 2017 at 22:11.
Old 18th March 2017, 14:17   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After applying 3 coats of this rejuvenating wax on my old duster, I have kept it for drying overnight. Tomorrow morning will try it out on my Dusty TUV and see how effective the duster has become. Depending on the outcome will recommend whether one should go for it or not.
So today morning got a chance to try out the rejuvenated Duster on my TUV. Since last Saturday from the time I brought back my Orange Tank from the 20K service, it was lying idle in the parking for almost a week so it had gathered a lot of dust

Look at the amount of dust settled on my tank
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7162.jpg
The Duster tried & tested on the driver side windshield
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7163.jpg

And later on over the whole car.

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7165.jpg

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7166.jpg

Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7167.jpg
As you can see above the results were truly amazing. The duster threads have got the dust pulling power back. In one swipe the duster is now picking a lot of dust. Only one minor issue I observed was that there were some wax streaks being left behind by the threads. I guess the wax has not completely dried up yet. Not a big problem though, I could easily clean it with water spray and swipe with micro fibre cloth.

Overall pretty satisfied with the result and I would highly recommend this product to everyone
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 19:37   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So today morning got a chance to try out the rejuvenated Duster on my TUV.
I was using Jopasu on my wagonR and over time I observed that swirl marks increased. Right now I just let the tank get dirty over 2 weeks and then use ONR to mist all surface and then wipe down with many MF towels. Repeat again to get the shine going. Once in 2 months I also top up the coat of Optimum OptiSeal on the car to ensure that most dirt, dust and droppings are sitting on top of it and are easy to remove.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 21:06   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I was using Jopasu on my wagonR and over time I observed that swirl marks increased.
That is probably because the wax coating of the threads might have diminished over a period of time. If you still have your old Jopasu Duster, I would strongly recommend you try out the Duster Rejuvenator over it, it will surely bring back the old duster to life. The convenience of wiping off the dust with just one swipe of the Jopasu duster is unmatched.

Quote:
Right now I just let the tank get dirty over 2 weeks and then use ONR to mist all surface and then wipe down with many MF towels. Repeat again to get the shine going. Once in 2 months I also top up the coat of Optimum OptiSeal on the car to ensure that most dirt, dust and droppings are sitting on top of it and are easy to remove.
My ritual is like this:
  • Daily: Use the Jopasu duster to wipe off the dust over the car body and window panes. Use water spray & MF towel only to remove the smudge marks and other stains, which the Jopasu cannot remove. Time: 6-8 minutes
  • Weekly: Sprinkle a litre of water over car body. Wipe off the muddy water with one MF towel. Use another clean MF towel to dry out the surfaces. Use another MF towel for interior cleaning. Time: 30 - 45 minutes
  • Monthly: After cleaning with a litre of water and drying with MF towel, I use the Jopasu liquid wax polish. Spray it on the panel and then spread it evenly with an MF towel until the surface becomes dull/foggy. Use another MF towel to rub the wax until the dull surface becomes glossier again. Repeat this on all body panels, till the car gets back the wet fresh look . Takes about 2 hours. Good exercise for my hand muscles.
Old 27th March 2017, 08:40   #281
Senior - BHPian

Over the week end of 25th & 26th did a trip to Vinchur & Sinnar near Nasik about 560 kms round trip. Visited the Gondehwar Temple and Gargoti Museum in Sinnar on 25th & then evening of that day & 26th visited the Wine Information Centre & Vinsura Wines in Vinchur. Will try to put up a separate travelogue. Meanwhile here are some pics.

West side entrance of the Gondeshwar Temple
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7178.jpg

A closer look at the entrance gate
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7181.jpg

The complete temple complex as seen after crossing the entrance
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7182.jpg

A closer look at the main central temple
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7195.jpg

The temple complex as seen from the Southern entrance gate
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7200.jpg

The pillars and circular domb adorning the Southern entrance gate
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7207.jpg

Another look from the same gate
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7214.jpg

Seen up close is the Nandi temple in front of the Mahadev temple
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7216.jpg

Another view from the Southern entrance gate
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7212.jpg

Once again the main temple side view
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7219.jpg
Old 27th March 2017, 08:57   #282
Senior - BHPian

The main entrance to the Gargoti Museum, Sinnar
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7224.jpg

The fibre glass statue of "Bharat Mata" as we enter inside
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7225.jpg

This blue sparkling stone is Pentagonite from Wagholi, Pune
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7253.jpg

Lord Ganesha Carved out of Corundum Ruby
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7257.jpg

TUV taking a halt enroute a bridge on the Godavari River near Nandur Madhyameshwar Bird Sanctuary
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7295.jpg

This bridge is a bit risky with no railings
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7296.jpg

Our tent at Wine Information Center, Vinchur
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7301.jpg

Seen here are the other tents
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7302.jpg

A small pond inside the campus, where ducks swim merrily
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7338.jpg

Some natural rocks inside the center
Orange Tank to conquer the road - Mahindra TUV3OO owner's perspective-dscn7340.jpg
Old 27th March 2017, 09:24   #283
BHPian

Quote:
I really miss my Indica. Air filter cleaning was such an easy task, just remove the two clips, with thumb pressure, open the front portion of the housing, remove the air filter element, tap to remove the dust, blow compressed air (from vacuum cleaner), fit it back in place, tighten the clips and you are ready to go.
Agreed. Clip type of locking clamps was sure convenient. But Tata too has moved over to screws over the air filter box, over the recent years. Safari's air filter element is protected by a strong army of 5 screws (maybe 6? ) . Drop one in the engine bay during removal or refit, and that's it! hehe.
Old 2nd April 2017, 12:41   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Over the week end of 25th & 26th did a trip to Vinchur & Sinnar near Nasik about 560 kms round trip. Visited the Gondehwar Temple and Gargoti Museum in Sinnar on 25th & then evening of that day & 26th visited the Wine Information Centre & Vinsura Wines in Vinchur. Will try to put up a separate travelogue. Meanwhile here are some pics.
Dear AutoIndian,

I have been off TBHP for some time - due to work load.

I just saw this. Once in 2/3 years I go to Wani. My family always spends time at Gargoti. I would like to go to the other places some day. I am just a bit jealous!

Congrats on one more successful trip. I shall be looking forward to the travelogue.

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2017, 12:53   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear AutoIndian,

I have been off TBHP for some time - due to work load.

I just saw this. Once in 2/3 years I go to Wani. My family always spends time at Gargoti. I would like to go to the other places some day. I am just a bit jealous!

Congrats on one more successful trip. I shall be looking forward to the travelogue.

Girish Mahajan
Thank you Mahajan Sir. Due to work load and one or the other health issues in the family even I am not getting much chances to venture out. This trip just happened without much planning. My friends insisted that its been a very long time that we ventured out. One enthu soul planned the venue and booking, I planned the logistics and it just happened. I am not sure if I will be able to put up a travelogue together, but if you have any specific queries, just call me.

The list of places around Nasik is endless. Just Google it and you will get a long list. However the prominent ones are Trimbakeshwar, Pandav and Jain caves etc.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks