Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2017, 10:19   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT

Sharing some early experiences with the new Petrol we picked this week.

Stocks tyres, Bridgestone are useless, on recommendations of fellow members from NCR, got these changed with Michilien Primacy - SUV 215/65 R16. There is an appreciable difference in overall ride and handling( If at all there is something ) besides these are super quiet.

Guys who buy Innova for self-use better stay away, this MUV is strictly meant for the second row. Anyone who has different views must take extended drives of other contenders in my opinion.

For some reasons, there is a difference in fuel mileage when driven with A/C and without it although one hardly notices A/C getting switched On/ Off in the Petrol variant its effect on mileage can surely be seen on MID. On a side note, blame it on the weather or efficiency of the Innova, A/C is super Chilling, for some reasons even setting temperatures at 27-28 it will chill, hope there is not any fault and it was due to rains and overall cool atmosphere. I had to manually switch off the A/C most of the time.

Mileage within the city is low but improves considerably on highways, the best I can manage in traffic in Delhi was about 7 Kmpl but on highways, it went as high as 12 Kmpl and will happily cruise at 110-120. It has a super quiet cabin and definitely recommended for guys who get annoyed from noise/ vibrations. The only noise coming in the cabin is from exhausts at cruising speeds, this issue was in previous generation Petrol Innova as well. Perhaps will have to lay an extra carpet or get some sound deadening sheets in the trunk. Not that it's too intrusive just that spoils otherwise silent cabin especially when sitting on the rear seats.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT-1.jpeg  

Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT-3.jpeg  

Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT-2.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 3rd September 2017 at 10:46.
Turbanator is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 09:08   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Stocks tyres, Bridgestone are useless, on recommendations of fellow members from NCR, got these changed with Michilien Primacy - SUV 215/65 R16. There is an appreciable difference in overall ride and handling( If at all there is something ) besides these are super quiet.

Guys who buy Innova for self-use better stay away, this MUV is strictly meant for the second row. Anyone who has different views must take extended drives of other contenders in my opinion.

For some reasons, there is a difference in fuel mileage when driven with A/C and without it although one hardly notices A/C getting switched On/ Off in the Petrol variant its effect on mileage can surely be seen on MID. On a side note, blame it on the weather or efficiency of the Innova, A/C is super Chilling, for some reasons even setting temperatures at 27-28 it will chill, hope there is not any fault and it was due to rains and overall cool atmosphere. I had to manually switch off the A/C most of the time.

Mileage within the city is low but improves considerably on highways, the best I can manage in traffic in Delhi was about 7 Kmpl but on highways, it went as high as 12 Kmpl and will happily cruise at 110-120. It has a super quiet cabin and definitely recommended for guys who get annoyed from noise/ vibrations. The only noise coming in the cabin is from exhausts at cruising speeds, this issue was in previous generation Petrol Innova as well. Perhaps will have to lay an extra carpet or get some sound deadening sheets in the trunk. Not that it's too intrusive just that spoils otherwise silent cabin especially when sitting on the rear seats.
Mileage of 7 in the city seems too low.How many kms have you driven?Why do you say its not for self drive?
I am also planning to buy an innova petrol automatic.Request info
Old 19th November 2017, 09:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Primacy SUV is very good and they are silent. After I upgraded to Michelin P3ST 225/55/17 from Primacy SUV 215/65/16 i noticed that the latter is more silent, P3ST has a wee bit more noise compared to PSUV.

Quote:
Hahaha too late now! I selected an 8 seat version because I didn't want my passengers to be more comfortable than me But i believe they still enjoy the drive.

Quote:
Probably because of the lesser torque of the petrol motor at any given RPM plus the load compressor put on the engine. The normally aspirated petrol cars I have driven before have shown similar behaviour.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 12:26   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mileage of 7 in the city seems too low.How many kms have you driven?
We have done around 3000 Km and mileage seems to have stabilised around 10 as per MID for an 80 % highway and 20 % city ( Chandigarh)

Since you are based in Delhi, extended test drive for Petrol variants should be possible from the dealership, if you cannot find a petrol test drive, check with Gurgaon MGF. They may have unsold Pearl white from March built and can negotiate. We got accessory pack worth 35 K but that was pre-GST Cess when everything was sold at Zero discounts, things may be different now.

Quote:
Why do you say its not for self drive?
Multiple reasons, first of all, more options in this segment/price point which are more driver-oriented, You may also not need to lug a 7 seater all the time in the city or even highways and hiring 7 seaters for those occasional outstation trips including self-drive option is not difficult or expensive. If you take a back to back drive of Innova and Fortuner, you will be clear how Fortuner differs on the driveability, I think some of this difference can be reduced by upsizing so if you are keen to go for Toyota, do try the one with 17 inch Tyres.

If you can mention your requirements in details, maybe you will get more views based on experiences of others.
Old 19th November 2017, 13:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think some of this difference can be reduced by upsizing so if you are keen to go for Toyota, do try the one with 17 inch Tyres.
Yes. On 17inch wheels with its relatively lower profile tyres the vehicle seems to handle better and the roll is reduced. The negative being the plushness of 16" larger profile tyre is lost. So +1 for handling and maybe -1 for ride over broken roads.
Old 10th December 2017, 19:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
We have done around 3000 Km and mileage seems to have stabilised around 10 as per MID for an 80 % highway and 20 % city ( Chandigarh)

Since you are based in Delhi, extended test drive for Petrol variants should be possible from the dealership, if you cannot find a petrol test drive, check with Gurgaon MGF. They may have unsold Pearl white from March built and can negotiate. We got accessory pack worth 35 K but that was pre-GST Cess when everything was sold at Zero discounts, things may be different now.

Multiple reasons, first of all, more options in this segment/price point which are more driver-oriented, You may also not need to lug a 7 seater all the time in the city or even highways and hiring 7 seaters for those occasional outstation trips including self-drive option is not difficult or expensive. If you take a back to back drive of Innova and Fortuner, you will be clear how Fortuner differs on the driveability, I think some of this difference can be reduced by upsizing so if you are keen to go for Toyota, do try the one with 17 inch Tyres.

If you can mention your requirements in details, maybe you will get more views based on experiences of others.
I would be using it for about 1000-1500kms every month in the city mostly self drive.I am considering the innova instead of sedan as it ticks almost all boxes except maybe the sedan is more fun to drive around corners.
I love to travel with the family so reliability and safety are very important Also,my kids loved the roomy scorpio 7 seater which i have recently sold so an innova will be an apt replacement
Also,I plan to keep the car for a long time ie 7+ years and nothing can beat an innova in reliability.
I thought that an autobox would make it easier to lug the car in city but your experience is quite different.Hows the pickup and body roll.I havent been able to get a petrol automatic for test drive in delhi, been trying for a month now.
Request for more info.
Old 10th December 2017, 21:25   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
my kids loved the roomy scorpio 7 seater
In that case, Innova will be like a Villa

Quote:
Hows the pickup and body roll
2,7 Engine is very good, it goes well past mentionable speeds without a sweat and can cruise all day at high speeds. Problem is the lazy Auto box that appears like a CVT from past, though you can switch to manual gear selection, it does make noise when you press hard. Body Roll is well contained & it feels more rigid, much better than the last generation. It's noticeably quieter as well and I no longer like to use the old one, the new one is whisper quiet.

Quote:
I haven'tz been able to get a petrol automatic for test drive in delhi, been trying for a month now.
That's strange, anyway try MGF Gurgaon. They have Petrol Innova for a test drive. Ours is mostly at Chandigarh, else I would have arranged a quick drive for you.

Last edited by Turbanator : 10th December 2017 at 21:27.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 21:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
How much did the exchange of tyres cost?

Last edited by ampere : 12th December 2017 at 22:23.
caraholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2018, 13:00   #24
BHPian

Quote:
In that case, Innova will be like a Villa

2,7 Engine is very good, it goes well past mentionable speeds without a sweat and can cruise all day at high speeds. Problem is the lazy Auto box that appears like a CVT from past, though you can switch to manual gear selection, it does make noise when you press hard. Body Roll is well contained & it feels more rigid, much better than the last generation. It's noticeably quieter as well and I no longer like to use the old one, the new one is whisper quiet.

That's strange, anyway try MGF Gurgaon. They have Petrol Innova for a test drive. Ours is mostly at Chandigarh, else I would have arranged a quick drive for you.
After you have experienced the petrol automatic,would you buy the 2.4 MT ,2.8 AT or continue with 2.7 AT if given a chance.Request for honest answer with reason
Old 27th May 2018, 19:54   #25
BHPian

Hi,
I have been following this thread
especially your posts closely for some time now as I am in the process of deciding which which crysta variant to buy.
I finally got the chance to test drive 2.8 AT and 2.7 AT cars one after the other,that too for 12-13 kms each.(from MGF Gurgaonas per your suggestion)
The 2.8 AT has got better pickup but the engine booms at RPM's greater than 2500.Also, there is a pronounced drone at higher gears.
In power mode it becomes a different beast altogether and is fast enough to challenge most high end sedans but it becomes jerky to drive in city as you press or lift foot over the accelerator.
Next, I got to lay my hands on the 2.7AT. It felt so much quieter as compared to its diesel counterpart.Its NVH levels and the comfort of a Innova combined together seem unparalled.
The pickup is lesser than the diesel but its quite adequate for city.I reset the km/ltr and drove for about 13 kms on normal mode mostly,using power mode for a minute or so during the drive.Also touched 85kmph for 5-7 minutes during the drive and got a mileage of 10.3kmpl on the info display at the end of the drive.
Both diesels do seem crude in comparison to this petrol and as of now i am inching towards the petrol as i plan to keep the vehicle for a long time(Diesel's got a 10year RC validity in NCR) and usage would not be more than 10000 kms an year.

Quote:

caraholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 18:09   #26
BHPian

I have been contemplating purchasing an Innova Crysta petrol for sometime. I have been to a couple of showrooms in bangalore - the dealers tend to discourage interest in petrol versions. They keep saying that they haven't sold more than one in a 100. Not sure if that is true. If it is, why is anyone not buying petrol outside of delhi.

I have always owned petrol, am not a big diesel fan and my mileage is low (~10-12K km/year).
Keep hearing that diesel is on the decline across the globe - delhi being closest to home.
I am a keeper, my wagonR from 2001 is still doing service for my dad, current ride is Palio Stile 1.6 from 2007. Assuming I will keep the Crysta for 10-15 years or more, I am confused if I should go for petrol or diesel.
Fuel efficiency is not a great concern for me.
I will buy an AT this time.

Given the above, any advice anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraholic View Post
Hi,
I have been following this thread
especially your posts closely for some time now as I am in the process of deciding which which crysta variant to buy.
I finally got the chance to test drive 2.8 AT and 2.7 AT cars one after the other,that too for 12-13 kms each.(from MGF Gurgaonas per your suggestion)
<<I truncated quote for better readability>>
Thanks for sharing your views on both versions. Did you finalize on what you want to buy?
Old 19th February 2019, 09:16   #27
BHPian

Requesting owners to provide an update here from time to time. There are hardly any long term reviews on the web as well, this thread serves as the only credible reference for people who might look to buy Crysta petrol. Thanks !
indivic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 11:21   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakri400 View Post
I have been to a couple of showrooms in bangalore - the dealers tend to discourage interest in petrol versions. They keep saying that they haven't sold more than one in a 100.
Given the above, any advice anyone?
Missed your post previously. If you have still not bought, should consider Petrol without any reservations. If I have to pick something again, I will still order the Petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Requesting owners to provide an update here from time to time.
We use mostly for official purpose and my own usage is very less due to some other interesting additions If you have any specific questions, please let me know and I will try to answer.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 12:20   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Missed your post previously. If you have still not bought, should consider Petrol without any reservations. If I have to pick something again, I will still order the Petrol.
Between innova and fortuner Petrol --which one would you recommend considering 40% off road usage (village type potholed road usage --to be driven at high speeds) --manual or automatic--which is more preferred considering it would be 100% chauffeur driven.

Last edited by ajmat : 19th February 2019 at 12:26. Reason: fixing quote
Old 19th February 2019, 12:34   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal9999 View Post
Between innova and fortuner Petrol --which one would you recommend considering 40% off road usage (village type potholed road usage --to be driven at high speeds) --manual or automatic--which is more preferred considering it would be 100% chauffeur driven.
If you are ok in sitting in the front, Petrol Fortuner will be better. Toyota sells only Automatic Petrol Fortuner in India. If you want to sit mostly in Rear, nothing beats Captain seats of Innova except LC-200 Ride Quality on the rear bench of Fortuner is bad and I won't recommend you to consider it. You can ask Toyota guys to give you Demo on the Diesel, there should be no difference on the suspension.

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th February 2019 at 12:39.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks