Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2021, 13:03   #91
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraned View Post
Does it make sense to change the tyres right after taking delivery? If so, what are the options (if not Michelin)?
Cost of Michelin = Cost of Apollo + 2.5K (My guess) [That is if you can get a set]

Since its not a performance car there is only the benefit of lower tyre noise and a longer life (suppleness + maybe 5k extra kms over Aollo) of the tyre that you would be cashing in on. Grip levels will be mostly at par till say the last 20 % of life left in the tyres.

There are two ways you can look at it:

If you drive less - tyre change at 5th year due to age, then no need to change. Throw away the Apollos after 4 years of use without guilt even if they have some tread left in them.

If you drive a lot - In which case expenses are already high and okay with you, change them now so that you have a nice time (comfort and lesser road noise) in the car every time you are out.

Apollos Aptera / Alnac range is any day better than equivalent tyres from MRF, JK, CEAT.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 14:32   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Cost of Michelin = Cost of Apollo + 2.5K (My guess) [That is if you can get a set]

Since its not a performance car there is only the benefit of lower tyre noise and a longer life (suppleness + maybe 5k extra kms over Aollo) of the tyre that you would be cashing in on. Grip levels will be mostly at par till say the last 20 % of life left in the tyres.

There are two ways you can look at it:

If you drive less - tyre change at 5th year due to age, then no need to change. Throw away the Apollos after 4 years of use without guilt even if they have some tread left in them.

If you drive a lot - In which case expenses are already high and okay with you, change them now so that you have a nice time (comfort and lesser road noise) in the car every time you are out.

Apollos Aptera / Alnac range is any day better than equivalent tyres from MRF, JK, CEAT.
Thanks @Iyencar, @Tgo for the inputs.

The main reason I would look to switch out tyres right away is for a quieter ride. Most of my drives are going to be out of the city and in addition to the quiet cabin of the petrol engine, it would be good to have less noise coming from the road/tyres.

I'll check with Madhu tyres if they have stock of the Michelin Primacy. Is there any other brand/model that's recommended for a quieter ride? Any other reliable alternatives to Madhu Tyres if they don't have stock of the brand/model that I'd be interested in?
Old 23rd April 2021, 16:08   #93
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll check with Madhu tyres if they have stock of the Michelin Primacy. Is there any other brand/model that's recommended for a quieter ride?
My order of preference: Michelin > Yokohama > Apollo > Goodyear > MRF

Would stay away from: CEAT, JK, Hankook, MOMO, Kenda etc.

Haven't tried these yet: Bridgestone, Continental, Pirelli, Dunlop
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 18:05   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does it make sense to change the tyres right after taking delivery? If so, what are the options (if not Michelin)?
Please swap those Apollo's ASAP. You can even go for stock size but 215 sections would be good. You can try Bridgestone Turanza or Pirelli Cinturato, the latter is on the softer side I am told. Michelling Primacy seem to be good.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 18:25   #95
BHPian

Quote:

The main reason I would look to switch out tyres right away is for a quieter ride. Most of my drives are going to be out of the city and in addition to the quiet cabin of the petrol engine, it would be good to have less noise coming from the road/tyres

I'll check with Madhu tyres if they have stock of the Michelin Primacy. Is there any other brand/model that's recommended for a quieter ride? Any other reliable alternatives to Madhu Tyres if they don't have stock of the brand/model that I'd be interested in?
Just a suggestion. I understand that you want less cabin noise and you also said that you do drive outside the city quite a bit. Why not try out the Yokohama Earth 1s?
They might not be as silent as the Michelins but the sidewall is much harder than the Michelins. I have these on my Honda Amaze and even the sharpest of rocks couldn't cut through the sidewall.
You could probably consider these tyres in case you don't get Michelins.

Sreesh.
Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 11:04   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Please swap those Apollo's ASAP. You can even go for stock size but 215 sections would be good. You can try Bridgestone Turanza or Pirelli Cinturato, the latter is on the softer side I am told. Michelling Primacy seem to be good.
Thanks, @PrideRed, Sreesh1099, @Tgo.

I spoke to Madhu Tyres and they don't have Michelin, but do have Bridgestone Turanza T001 and Yokohoma (though not earth 1s).

Now given that the only (main) reason for me to consider swapping out the stock Apollo tyres are for a quieter ride, would Bridgestone do the job?

Also, Madhu's are offering 3K buyback for each of the stock apollo tyres, which means I still need to shell out Rs.5,500 per tyre for the Bridgestone (quoted price 8750 per tyre). Worth it?
Old 27th April 2021, 11:14   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now given that the only (main) reason for me to consider swapping out the stock Apollo tyres are for a quieter ride, would Bridgestone do the job?

Also, Madhu's are offering 3K buyback for each of the stock apollo tyres, which means I still need to shell out Rs.5,500 per tyre for the Bridgestone (quoted price 8750 per tyre). Worth it?
Difference in tire noise will not be significant but there will be considerable improvement in ride quality and handling. Which Yokohama they have in stock?
Apollo's are good for bad roads but are bad on tarmac.
Old 27th April 2021, 11:24   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Which Yokohama they have in stock?
Apollo's are good for bad roads but are bad on tarmac.
The only Yokohama they have is G015 - GeoLander (?) - off and on road tyre.
Old 27th April 2021, 11:29   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only Yokohama they have is G015 - GeoLander (?) - off and on road tyre.
I am not an expert, but with AT, tire noise might be as much as Apollo's. Also there might a bit drop in Fuel efficiency if AT. Earth series is available in stock size they are pretty good. Improvement in noise, handling and ride can be noticed.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 09:10   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Earth series is available in stock size they are pretty good. Improvement in noise, handling and ride can be noticed.
Madhu Tyres in Bangalore did not have stock of Earth series. Have to look elsewhere. Any pointers?

ps - In other news, got the delivery of my GX Petrol AT y'day. Review and pics to follow
vraned is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 09:29   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Madhu Tyres in Bangalore did not have stock of Earth series. Have to look elsewhere. Any pointers?

ps - In other news, got the delivery of my GX Petrol AT y'day. Review and pics to follow
There's a Mobiles Tyres Tech in Kamanahalli , next to Sena Vihar (not sure if you know where that is). You can also check out SLNP Pitstop or Tyre Empire in HSR. Bridgestone is not a bad option, not sure why nobody has recommended it.
I'm not sure as to where you're based. Another thing you can do is search for Yokohama dealers in Bangalore and check with them.

Congratulations! Waiting for pictures and a review.

Last edited by Sreesh1009 : 28th April 2021 at 09:47.
Sreesh1009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 09:48   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations, you can check tire empire or any nearby Yokohama dealer. That said, with lockdown imposed I doubt you will find anything for next 15 days.
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 16:39   #103
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
8k is the ballpark your apollo would cost originally as your car would have rims greater than 16 inch I suppose...

Just use the free tyres you got from the factory with 5 wheel tyre rotation. They sould last you 50K km or at least 4 years. Why poscket a big expense of 20k just after buying a car and discarding a set which is practically brand new.

Quote:
Congratulations. Can I know which Apollo brand tyres does it come with? Aptera or Alnac?
Old 30th April 2021, 12:18   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
8k is the ballpark your apollo would cost originally as your car would have rims greater than 16 inch I suppose...

Just use the free tyres you got from the factory with 5 wheel tyre rotation. They sould last you 50K km or at least 4 years. Why poscket a big expense of 20k just after buying a car and discarding a set which is practically brand new.

Congratulations. Can I know which Apollo brand tyres does it come with? Aptera or Alnac?
Thanks! My car came with Apollo Aptera. I might end up just retaining the stock tyres after considering all the valuable inputs provided above (rather than chase the elusive quieter tyres)
vraned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 15:58   #105
One
BHPian

Test drove the vehicle today, automatic variant. My frame of reference is sedans on which I have experience. Planned the route over large craters, single lane and highway driving. Below are my impressions:

- Petrol might be more silent than diesel, but it still wasn't completely silent as compared to what I am used to (caveat: I do have sensitive ears)

- The Power mode seemed to be not that gung-ho as I thought it would. I thought pressing throttle on Power would give me an immediate surge but it was more linear. The bigger point for me was at lower speeds (<30-40), I was hoping I could shift to Power mode and execute a quick overtake. But not once could I manage to do that. It felt that Power mode came alive only after 50-60.

- Normal and Eco mode seemed same till around 40 with a light foot. The difference between the two was more pronounced when extra throttle was given below 40.

- At lower speeds, I couldn't really differentiate between modes based on a light foot.

- The steering was extremely heavy at low speeds. I think it was heavier than the Harrier I had driven few months back. Sure am not used to driving SUVs, but this seemed unnaturally heavy to the point of being uncomfortable.

- I went over some pretty big craters, and not once did I feel I would scrape the underbody inspite of riding it for the first time.

- Experience in the second and third rows is different from the first. Feels like a different car in terms of roll as compared to the first row. I don't know if I am imagining this but riding in the third row felt less rolls as compared to the second row.

- Lovely sharp turning radius, didn't expect it at all.

- Don't think the SA knew much about the vehicle, I was told about its CVT ?! gearbox and few other things which made me realise this car probably sells easily without Test Drives. To be a Sales person with such a product must be a good feeling.

- Lastly, experienced other four wheelers actually giving me right of way. I was confused initially that a lot of cars were waiting for me to turn/ cross etc. The first couple of times i gave a friendly wave to the drivers thinking these are well mannered folks. I wonder if that surprised them and next time they will stop waiting. Reached parity with the small tempos and more respect from mid sized trucks. The two wheelers though were largely unaffected so I guess can't win them all. The SA told me Fortuner improves this "feature" of the car, I believe him. It starts from base variant onwards for the Innova as well.
One is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks