Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2021, 22:25   #61
BHPian

Thanks Asit and Sierra.
Most of my usage will be in Gurgaon - Delhi -NCR. May be two trips in a year outside of this area. My current car - Hexa XTA has run only 27K in 44months.
Of course money does matter and so does safety, and value.

If I look at overall comparison, can I say the following :
Crysta Petrol is 1.5X of XL6 in terms of weight, safety, build quality.
XL6 is 1.5X of Crysta in terms of fuel efficiency, features, price advantage.

Both are almost equal in terms of seating comfort, maintenance cost and coverage, repair costs. I guess power/torque to weight ratio may be close.

This seems very challenging puzzle to solve.
Abhishek_Garg is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 23:03   #62
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek_Garg View Post
Thanks Asit and Sierra.
Most of my usage will be in Gurgaon - Delhi -NCR. May be two trips in a year outside of this area. My current car - Hexa XTA has run only 27K in 44months.
Of course money does matter and so does safety, and value.

If I look at overall comparison, can I say the following :
Crysta Petrol is 1.5X of XL6 in terms of weight, safety, build quality.
XL6 is 1.5X of Crysta in terms of fuel efficiency, features, price advantage.

Both are almost equal in terms of seating comfort, maintenance cost and coverage, repair costs. I guess power/torque to weight ratio may be close.

You are correct in your assessment.
However, I missed that you already own a Hexa . The XL6 is more or less 2 segments below the Hexa and I cannot fathom how you would be able to adjust to the XL6 after getting used to and enjoying everything the Hexa offers. The Crysta will seem to be less of a compromise as a vehicle and Toyota ASS is in a league of its own. Just one more thing, the XL6 shares it's drivetrain (and other components) with pretty much evey Maruti Suzuki vehicle on sale. That gives you a wide choice of options if you would ever want to get your vehicle worked upon outside MASS. The Crysta Petrol is still extremely rare (however I am seeing more of them in and around NCR now) and your options are more or less limited to Toyota Authorized Service.

If you do end up buying the XL6 Automatic, do not opt for the Alpha. The Zeta offers everything and is priced quite a bit lower (mine is an Alpha). Also, the XL6 has a very light steering at City speeds (think one finger twirl) which weighs up adequately at higher speeds. The Crysta is said to have a heavy steering in the diesel variant. The petrol one may have a lighter steering owing to lesser weight up front. Do check up on this considering your use will be primarily within NCR and a lighter steering helps in reducing a lot of fatigue.

P.S: The following is an image I captured in my dashcam sometime last year. Believe it or not, that was the first time I saw a Petrol Crysta.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT-psx_20210214_224808.jpg  

sierrabravo98 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 22:40   #63
BHPian

Thanks Sierra.
We had brought a Brezza zxi plus AT in Jan 2021 for my wife. Pretty light to drive and it feels good. I think its best in the segment - balance of safety, drive dynamics, comfort, features, space, price and service.

Now, for second car - as XL6 has no safety ratings, I am feeling a bit confused. Though most other parameters are fine in XL6.
Have test driven so many automatic cars - Yaris, Vento, Polo, Nexon, XUV300, safari, innova, MG hector.. but not able to decide.
Old 18th February 2021, 01:25   #64
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Thanks Sierra.
We had brought a Brezza zxi plus AT in Jan 2021 for my wife. Pretty light to drive and it feels good. I think its best in the segment - balance of safety, drive dynamics, comfort, features, space, price and service.

Now, for second car - as XL6 has no safety ratings, I am feeling a bit confused. Though most other parameters are fine in XL6.
Have test driven so many automatic cars - Yaris, Vento, Polo, Nexon, XUV300, safari, innova, MG hector.. but not able to decide.
Congratulations on the Brezza. Wish you and your wife lakhs of happy and safe kilometres ahead. About the safety rating for the XL6, though it has not been officially tested by GNCAP, it should score 3 stars considering that the Ertiga scored the same and the XL6 is basically the same car underneath ( although the XL6 weighs a bit more).

Your choice of potential options across segments is a real dilemma. I would suggest you to wait for a few more month (till Q2 and potentially early Q3 if you can wait). You may find a better/more suitable option in some of the upcoming launches. Else, the Crysta Petrol is something you cannot go wrong with. All the best
Old 18th February 2021, 14:33   #65
BHPian

Quote:
My current car - Hexa XTA has run only 27K in 44months.Of course money does matter and so does safety, and value.

Hi Abhishek, I am in similar situation and wanted your views about the New Safari, which seems to reclaim our life. In few days it would be up for sale and the online reviews about new safari seems decent. I am guessing you are looking for a Petrol vehicle only this time.
Old 18th February 2021, 20:33   #66
BHPian

Hi Punya,
I did drive new Safari automatic. It is huge and feels huge to drive as well. No complaints. Boot space is zero. Seats are comfortable. Acceleration, Steering, stability is all good. I did not feel steering heavy at low speed, may be as I am used to Hexa. Sunroof is awesome. All in all, great vehicle.
However, I had to drop it from my list due to following:
1. We need petrol car, as NCR has restricted life of diesel car to 10yrs. I may change car at my will earlier but do not want to be forced.
2. My 2017 Hexa XTA had its share of niggles and I would like to stay clear of initial batches this time. In two years, Safari will get refined and should become more desirable, as would be its price.
3. This time I will decide by Head. Hexa was by Heart.
Old 22nd February 2021, 06:39   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Punya,
I did drive new Safari automatic. It is huge and feels huge to drive as well. No complaints. Boot space is zero. Seats are comfortable. Acceleration, Steering, stability is all good. I did not feel steering heavy at low speed, may be as I am used to Hexa. Sunroof is awesome. All in all, great vehicle.
However, I had to drop it from my list due to following:
1. We need petrol car, as NCR has restricted life of diesel car to 10yrs. I may change car at my will earlier but do not want to be forced.
2. My 2017 Hexa XTA had its share of niggles and I would like to stay clear of initial batches this time. In two years, Safari will get refined and should become more desirable, as would be its price.
Hey Abhishek,
Almost in the same boat as you are and completely agree to your points.
I am an existing Hexa owner and looking to upgrade and seriously thinking about the 2.7 petrol as my monthly running is very less. I use the seven seater for long distance outings with full family and have a small car for city run about. Have gotten addicted to Hexa's pull from the diesel mill and the rear wheel drive including ride quality and stability.

Hexa has spoiled me for expectations and now I cannot go Back to Ertiga / XL6 or Marazzo at all. (Also I upgraded from 1st Gen Ertiga to Hexa). Now the question is Crysta - Diesel or Petrol ?

A quick question to the existing owners, can a Petrol 2.7 Crysta pull a full load of 7 + luggage on say a ghat road or a mountain slope as easily as Diesel ?
swarnava.ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:00   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
can a Petrol 2.7 Crysta pull a full load of 7 + luggage on say a ghat road or a mountain slope as easily as Diesel ?
Absolutely. This engine does duty on many other pickups and even on Prado.

I got a chance to drive 2,4 diesel recently and also the newer Fortuner, this petrol engine is totally different, super quiet and should be the choice if running is low.

I wonder why Toyota has not given the option of a 4x4 Auto Petrol in fortuner. Would have gladly considered. Apparently, they are seeing a lot of bookings in Petrol in NCR market.

So, we if you are looking at a self drive with lower yearly running and you want a quiet cabin, look no further.

Z variant, is expensive but if money is not a major issue, should consider, it has a nicer cabin.

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd February 2021 at 10:03.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 14:08   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnt View Post
500 kms a month
Petrol AT makes a lot of sense here. Just for the EMI difference (In case you go for a loan) between the petrol AT and diesel AT, you will be able to fill and run it too.

Quote:
What would be the mileage difference between petrol AT and diesel AT, where the route I travel requires me to drive at around 50kmph for about 100 kilometers with stop and go traffic, 80kmph for another 100 kilometers with multiple slow-downs and 100+kmph all clear traffic for the rest?
I kept a petrol AT for a few months, and then sold it to a close friend (Now I have a 2.8 D-4D), who is still holding it. And we reached a rather simple conslusion after driving a lot:
Petrol AT FE is roughly around this:
City - 6-7 kpl, at times 5 too, depending on traffic
Highway -
  • 12-13 kpl under 100 kph
  • 11-12 kpl till 100-120

Overall, for a 33-67 city-highway run, you can expect around 10 kpl overall, and yes, although it's a 2.7l engine, it is still quite efficient for what it pulls.

Quote:
And yes, the dealer is literally pleading with me not to take petrol car.
Nothing as such in Delhi NCR. We drove the 2.7 petrol and 2.8 diesel together to Mcloedganj and back, none of the two could cover the entire distance in one full tank. It's just that, the FE of the 2.7 is quite pathetic while going uphill, but so is for 2.8. It's the downhill sections which still help you reach some decent figures.

Still, the 2.8 ran at around 6 to 6.5 rupees per km, while the 2.7 ran at around 9 rupees per km. With the 2.8, you can manage decent FE of 12-13 kpl at even the speeds you can't mention here. the 2.7 fells to 8-9 kpl on those speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
refinement of a petrol car which is unmatched.
No doubt, the 2.7 is silent as a grave even at 120 kph in 6th cog, that's the smoothness of operation you enjoy in the car. The 2.8 was a more potent motor which used to run at lower revs and hence used to offer fantastic cruising ability, the 2.4 is not there any more. So, if the cruising comfort and silence/smoothness of operation is in the mind, the 2.7 is absolutely creamy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Real world difference in mileage of Petrol and Diesel will vary greatly on how you drive. Higher speeds and more crowded traffic will surely hit Petrol more, expect around 7-8 kmpl in your case. On diesel, it should be 12 plus on the 2.4.
Absolutely correct, word to word. Especially, the higher the speed gets, the bigger the delta gets between the FE that is offered by the diesel and petrol.

Even I also have a question here. Never driven or traveled in the 2.4 AT. But I have heard that the high speed FE of 2.8 is better than the 2.4 too. Is it true? Just for reference, I frequently drive my 2.8 at 2000-2200 rpm range in sixth cog (can't mention the speed) on expressways, and the FE of 2.8 is astonishing then too, easily 13 kpl. While the 2.7, at same speeds, is at 8-9 kpl only.

That said, these bigger engines offer his distinct charm of lesser FE loss at higher speeds. A 2.7 Crysta offers equal or better FE than an Ecosport 1.5 or Creta 1.6 petrol at speeds north of 120, just because the Ford and Hyundai engines start running rich, while the 2.7 still doesn't seem to feel any stress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraned View Post
Reason for choosing Petrol AT over Diesel AT: My driving mileage of 350-400 month, quieter cabin/low noise levels, and the ~2L price difference can easily fuel the car for the first few years.
With a running of 5000 kms per year:

Diesel AT @ 6 rupees per km: 30,000 bucks
Petrol AT @ 9 rupees per km: 45,000 bucks

With a difference of 15,000 bucks per year, you have good 13 years to go for even the break even to come.

This is when you don't take other factors into consideration. Also, you never know if the diesel will be even allowed to survive past the 10th year of ownership.

Quote:
I am also looking at Petrol Innova Auto but came across XL6 petrol automatic. It does 80-90% of the job at about half the price.
XL6 is a simple, robust, reliable and honest people mover. If you are self driven, have only 3-4 members to carry, and want the comfort of captain seats along with a decent comfort. XL6 makes a lot of sense, in fact I would recommend it over Innova Crysta if the usage is really less. What is the price of a new XL6, a Crysta petrol will depreciate more than that in 5 years. I have driven the XL6 Automatic all the way from Dehradun to Nainital. Other than slightly laggy nature of the 4 speed box, everything else is simply perfect.

And the gearbox is ought to be laggy man, it has a big difference between all 4 gears, hence it will hold more, that's the basic common sense. If Crysta is a reliable and comfortable car, so is XL6, no two ways about it. Safety aspect is only where the XL6 takes the beating. Else buy one, put 195 section nice tyres, and XL6 is good to go.

Quote:
Does anyone know why Toyota has branded Innova with one more seat that it actually has?
That's the reason, the 8 seat version needs you visit the RTO time and again for the fitness certifications to be done, even in private ownership.

Quote:
Innova is definitely safer in terms of crash etc and looks to be built to last 15years.
Can't comment much on the safety of Maruti. Ertiga was rated 4 stars, but you never know if the specs are same or not.

Coming to 15 years part, even Ertiga / XL6 will also easily last 15 years quite well. I have seen multiple Ertigas running on the roads with Innova type mileage. And we have the BHPian Paragsachania, his Ertiga is holding very well even well past 2,00,000 kms. You can expect it to last well IMO.

Quote:
Question: should we put 6Lakhs more on Innova compared to XL6 ? Please suggest.
Completely your call. If you want more VFM option, the XL6 is any day the one to pick. If you want to focus more on safety, look towards Crysta, and yes, for the long distance touring, the Crysta will offer slightly more comfort too, though the people with motion sickness etc will be happier in XL6.

Quote:
A quick question to the existing owners, can a Petrol 2.7 Crysta pull a full load of 7 + luggage on say a ghat road or a mountain slope as easily as Diesel ?
Drive the 2.7, you will never talk about the 'addiction' you had with the pull of Hexa. The responsiveness at any RPM range, the ease with which the 2.7 moves uphill, and the way it maintains the momentum at any kind of slope, will keep you happy.

That said, I drove one to Mcloedganj, there is this dreaded path called 'Khada Danda', which is a steep incline for a few kms, even a few local drivers also avoid it at times, and I, always take that route only for some clutch burning too. I have taken that route, and a few more such dreaded routes in the Crysta 2.7, it's a proper big bore petrol, it doesn't even consider that a proper load.
VKumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 08:14   #70
BHPian

Link to Beta Onboarding : link
Link to Commercialization : link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Z variant, is expensive but if money is not a major issue, should consider, it has a nicer cabin.
Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Petrol AT makes a lot of sense here. Just for the EMI difference (In case you go for a loan) between the petrol AT and diesel AT, you will be able to fill and run it too.

Drive the 2.7, you will never talk about the 'addiction' you had with the pull of Hexa. The responsiveness at any RPM range, the ease with which the 2.7 moves uphill, and the way it maintains the momentum at any kind of slope, will keep you happy.

That said, I drove one to Mcloedganj, there is this dreaded path called 'Khada Danda', which is a steep incline for a few kms, even a few local drivers also avoid it at times, and I, always take that route only for some clutch burning too. I have taken that route, and a few more such dreaded routes in the Crysta 2.7, it's a proper big bore petrol, it doesn't even consider that a proper load.
Thanks VKumar sir for your points abaove and they seem to be valid regarding the mileage part.

I just had a few points which I want to add again:
1. My Ertiga experience was nice - great in the city, poor on the Highways in pulling with full house.
2. Hexa - Rear wheel drive, great pull, great ride quality. The only thing I don’t like is driving a diesel.

I consider Petrol engines much more refined, less complex and having longer life compared to their Diesel counterparts.

So the only two options are Tiguan All Space or Petrol Innova.
I would love to get a Body on Frame Rear wheel drive car after the Hexa and Innova checks the boxes there besides the fact the Tiguan is 9 big ones more costly that Crysta.

I would have waited for the XUV500 as well because there are rumours it will have Petrol AT 4X4 option like the Thar (which has got good reviews already) however buying a new Mahindra from first batch will be big risk.

Then there is also the Safari bug biting me. Dont know what will happen, lets hope it all goes well. I have some time before a final call.
Old 23rd February 2021, 09:40   #71
BANNED

Quote:
I don’t like is driving a diesel.
Both of us belong to the same class, but I have to drive the oil burners due to the kind of running we have. Our cars easily cover 5000 kms per month, all three combined. I have done more than 2 lac kms on both my Polos itself in 5 years.

Quote:
longer life compared to their Diesel counterparts
Can't agree more. I have never seen a petrol engine last as long as modern day diesels. But yes, petrol engines cost a lot lot lesser to maintain in longer run and after the odo is nearing or crossed the 6 digits.

Quote:
Tiguan is 9 big ones more costly that Crysta.
Also Tiguan offers lesser flexibility too. I would love to take the Tiguan any day, but if I can have a Toyota against it, I will pick the Toyota.

Quote:
Petrol AT 4X4 option like the Thar (which has got good reviews already)
No reviewer will tell you the real world FE of the 2.0l turbo petrol. But always remember one thing, a turbo petrol will never be a sober guy when your right foot goes down - they are heavy drunkards.
See, just to make sure that the Petrols offer the toruqe, they are made under squared. After that, the manufacturers add a turbo to them, for even stronger mid range. But a turbo comes with one drawback, it runs your engine rich, and when the engine runs rich - it drinks fuel - that's the basic mechanics; and no technology, no electronics can defy the basic rules of Physics.

It's not for no reason, that I favor the big displacement NA engines any day over a turbocharged small displacement unit. These small displacement units only look and sound good, but they run rich in lower revs to avoid stalling, then they run rich while being turbo charged, and every engine runs rich in top end. A proper big bore N/A petrol simply has enough inherent power to keep on pulling the vehicle load without any much stress or risk of stalling, hence they offer a better driving comfort, more linear power delivery, and still a higher FE as compared to the turbocharged counterparts. And way higher long run reliability too, they are simpler after all.

The speeds at which the Innova petrol will give you 10 kpl while running around 2500-3000 rpm in sixth cog, the turbocharged petrol car will give hardly 7-8 kpl, they will deliver the same amount of work, but the turbo has to run rich, you can't avoid that. To calculate the speeds I am talking about, just take into account that the petrol Crysta AT does 100 kph around 1850-1900 rpm in sixth cog, and 120 comes at around 2200 rpm.

That's my experience with turbo Petrols, we have multiple Crysta 2.7 owners; as well as people like Turbanator sirji, who have a varied experience of owning and driving virtually every kind of engine in the world, further queries shall be directed to him

Quote:
Then there is also the Safari bug biting me. Dont know what will happen, lets hope it all goes well. I have some time before a final call.
Crysta offers you adjustable under thigh support, experience a drive with well supported thighs, would love to listen to your opinion after that.

I too used to ignore this small aspect, but my friend recently rejected Safari for two reasons, the seat design and comfort, under thigh support, and lack of a boot. When I drove a ZX Crysta again with properly adjusted seat on a trip from Dehradun to Lucknow and back, even I also realized what difference this very small, but ignored aspect makes to the driving comfort on long highway drives. This one, not being a Tata thread, I just wrote my brutally honest opinion without the fear of bombardment.

Last edited by VKumar : 23rd February 2021 at 09:41.
VKumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 00:16   #72
BHPian

Quote:
I had made conscious decision in December that I won’t wait for Tata’s 7 seater or XUV500 because my last two cars were bought when they were launched. And this time I wanted to have something proven and reliable hence Innova.
Hopefully will get my Petrol AT ZX by 15th March and the test drive will be on my own car
silverknight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 22:38   #73
BHPian

Decision done : booked XL6 auto alpha.

Reasons for me: Mainly city usage, easy to drive and park, low upfront cost(1.5X), low running cost(1.5X) and may be slightly more service costs compared to Crysta. Lower safety ratings and build quality are known as well.
I have not crossed 100 kmph even on highway runs in any of my cars till date as well as usage is an average of 6-700kms per month. XL6 fits better than Crysta for me.

Final tilt towards XL6 was from the thread by Leoshashi on XL6.

As the car is not in stock, Delivery looks like end of March or early April.
Old 18th March 2021, 09:43   #74
BHPian

Quote:
I am an existing Hexa owner and looking to upgrade and seriously thinking about the 2.7 petrol as my monthly running is very less.
Quote:
My 2017 Hexa XTA had its share of niggles.
Can you folks kindly let me know the niggles that led you to move on from the Hexa. I am on the opposite side of the spectrum here . I am in the market for a second hand Hexa (even planning to wait a few months to see if the new BS6 variant will be launched) since I fell in love with the build and ride quality after driving it a couple of times. But if more Hexa owners are going for the Innova then maybe I should change my opinion too. Are there any other major complaints that I need to be aware of. Thanks.
Old 18th March 2021, 10:54   #75
BHPian

I had brought Hexa in July/Aug 2017, which was just after launch. Most niggles got resolved in next 12-15months. People who brought Hexa in 2019-early 2020 were better off.
Hexa in itself is best, no comparison till now in market.
If BS6 hexa was available, i would have myself got new one.

Most Viewed