Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2022, 07:26   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT

Lightfoot and constant speed are the key. I am sure you would have got a very similar average at 100-110 as well. I don’t think the increase in PSI would have helped.

That’s the reason why Toyota is betting so much on Hybrids. Whatever inefficiencies of slow-moving traffic or sudden acceleration, petrol cars have to suffer, these get supported by batteries.

Last edited by Turbanator : 10th July 2022 at 11:00. Reason: added a word.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 20:20   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Our Petrol Innova is not in use, and yesterday, when the driver went home to start, he found some fuel leaking. He took the car to the dealership and found that the oil pipe (high-pressure side) had a small leak. Dealership won't have stock and had to get from Thailand in around two weeks. It will cost around Rs 3000. Given the risks involved, I asked my driver to see if he could get something done locally, like a patch.

Could be a manufacturing defect. A random check of a few hoses from the batch would have allowed this one to pass.

The after-market pipe has hose bands and not mechanically connected to the unions. For fuel system with pressure rating at 5 bar or more, this type of hose should not be used as it poses a fire risk.

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th August 2022 at 20:24. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Brumby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 20:37   #123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
The after-market pipe has hose bands and not mechanically connected to the unions. For fuel system with pressure rating at 5 bar or more, this type of hose should not be used as it poses a fire risk.
We have used the connector from the OEM one, do you mean those are fixed on the OEM, and there are no clamps?
Old 6th August 2022, 10:41   #124
BHPian

Quote:
We have used the connector from the OEM one, do you mean those are fixed on the OEM, and there are no clamps?
The OEM unions are connected to a non-OEM hose. For connecting the hose, screw type hose clamps are used which are suitable only for low pressure if there are serrations on the area of the union where the hose band (Russian Jubilee clip) is tightened. Unless it is fitted properly, there are chances of the hose slipping out of the connector.

Since the hose band that is used has screw type arrangement for tightening, it is suitable only for very limited applications.

Following are the pictures of high pressure and low pressure hoses and their securing arrangement can be seen in the pictures.

You can compare the make-shift arrangement with the original hose to understand if the temporary arrangement is safe for use.

The concern here is that you mentioned in your post that the hose is for high pressure and the reason for my posts.

High pressure hose
Name:  highpressurehosepipe500x500.jpeg
Views: 1193
Size:  11.4 KB

Low pressure hose
Review: Toyota Innova Crysta 2.7L Petrol AT-low-pressure_hoses.jpeg

Image credits : Google
Brumby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 06:50   #125

@Vkumar/@Turbanator,

Could you please help in clearing the dilemma I'm stuck in to finalise the variant for booking Innova Crysta. I was all set to book next week VX Diesel variant. But due to sudden below news of Toyota stopping the bookings of Diesel variants, I'm confused between Petrol vs Diesel

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5380086

Many articles have come up in last 1-2 days anticipating that Diesel engine will be completely phased out by Toyota in coming years. This could be due to shift in the industry towards hybrids, EVs or new stringent EURO emission norms due in 2025.

Since I'm outside Delhi, the 10 year NGT ban doesn't impact my decision. Monthly I could be running the car for ~1000 KMs. This would be 80% within city.
How much FE can I expect from ZX AT petrol variant?

Anything below 8 kmpl will be deal breaker for me and I would have to shift towards diesel or completely ditch Innova and restart my search for next vehicle.
Old 15th August 2022, 09:18   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by san.gaurav View Post
@Vkumar/@Turbanator,

Since I'm outside Delhi, the 10 year NGT ban doesn't impact my decision. Monthly I could be running the car for ~1000 KMs. This would be 80% within city.

Anything below 8 kmpl will be deal breaker for me .
I drive a 2.7 ZX AT since June. In city use with stop-go-stop sort of traffic, the FE is between 8-9 kmpl. Mostly between 8-8.5 and in eco mode. This is in Trivandrum. If I spend a lot of time in traffic at < 40 kph, decelerating, stopping and accelerating rapidly to the next traffic signal without being able to maintain a steady driving pace, or long bumper- bumper stretches, then the FE keeps around 7.5-8 only. (All readings based on FE display, I realise this may not be exact) Adjusting the throttle based on the indicators helped a bit during the first few days, but I am not sure if one may be able to maintain such a slow acceleration always in larger cities where one has to rush to the next signal in synchrony with the traffic.
JayG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 19:53   #127

Quote:
Lightfoot and constant speed are the key. I am sure you would have got a very similar average at 100-110 as well. I don’t think the increase in PSI would have helped.

That’s the reason why Toyota is betting so much on Hybrids. Whatever inefficiencies of slow-moving traffic or sudden acceleration, petrol cars have to suffer, these get supported by batteries.
Could you please help in clearing the dilemma I'm stuck in to finalise the variant for booking Innova Crysta. I was all set to book next week VX Diesel variant. But due to sudden below news of Toyota stopping the bookings of Diesel variants, I'm confused between Petrol vs Diesel

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5380086

Many articles have come up in last 1-2 days anticipating that Diesel engine will be completely phased out by Toyota in coming years. This could be due to shift in the industry towards hybrids, EVs or new stringent EURO emission norms due in 2025.

Anything below 8 kmpl will be deal breaker for me and I would have to shift towards diesel or completely ditch Innova and restart my search for next vehicle
Old 15th August 2022, 20:09   #128
BANNED

Quote:
@Vkumar
Hi San

If your running is on a higher side, say 18k or above per annum then just look for the diesel, call a few dealers, especially the ones in interior districts of Haryana and Punjab, you may find a car readily available in the diesel itself (Check once with Uttam too).

I replaced my 2.7 ZX with a 2.8 GX due to some personal reasons, I don't have a habit of calculating FE in kpl, I calculate my running cost in rupees per kilometer and its simply 6-7 rupees per km for a 2.8 GX vs 8-10 rupees per kilometer for a ZX 2.7 AT. And this is for Gurgaon to Dehradun runs which include short hilly route, high speed highway runs and mad traffic at various places too. It doesn't matter how good or bad you drive or how much you try to save the fuel, the 2.7 will give you an overall FE of 9-10 kpl if you calculate a long term fuel consumption for say 5,000 kms of usage, the 2.8 AT will give you 11-12 overall and the 2.4 AT will give around 13. I am not counting some occasional highway trip here, I am talking about using the car daily. So it's your call now, if you drive less and want to keep the car for a longer term - go petrol.

Petrol has a higher variance because its too sensitive to your driving style, you can manage 13 as well as 6.5 on same stretch under same driving conditions in the 2.7 AT.

2 rupees per kilometer - the classic dilemma:
It doesn't matter what anyone advocates, the running of 2.7 wont cost you more than 2 rupees per kilometer as compared to the diesel version. Now if your running is up to 1500 kms per month, then this amount won't negate even your EMI difference, leave aside even thinking about savings on the running costs.

Point to be noted: Irrespective of the fuel cost, my running cost for all the work related trips I make is still same as it was in 2017, thanks to the good highways which allow me to cruise more efficiently and quickly than before (Perspective of a UP wala)

Quote:
Anything below 8 kmpl will be deal breaker for me and I would have to shift towards diesel or completely ditch Innova and restart my search for next vehicle
Crysta petrol will deliver you 8-9 kpl in city drive of Chandigarh, in fact for anyone living in CHD, expect the FE figures which we people never get to experience in NCR. You can churn out 11-12-13 on highways and even 10+ overall in long term usage too.

Rest looking elsewhere will be a better idea in your case IMO, try the Scorpio N or XUV 700.

Last edited by VKumar : 15th August 2022 at 20:14.
VKumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 01:15   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Hi San

If your running is on a higher side, say 18k or above per annum then just look for the diesel, call a few dealers, especially the ones in interior districts of Haryana and Punjab, you may find a car readily available in the diesel itself (Check once with Uttam too).
Thanks for your detailed inputs.

I need car by Nov/Dec. Innova is available by that timeframe.

I have booked XUV700 AX7L MT in Mar 2022 but I don't expect its delivery by this year end. I didn't like Jeep Compass due to its limited interior space. Scorpio-N is rejected due to ingress issues my mother will experience due to its large stance.

Toyota was selected based on its proven long term reliability. My budget is 28 Lakhs at maximum possible stretch.

I never could really connect with Alcazar and Hector and hence didn't even included them in my list.

Multiple car manufactures have already moved to Petrol only cars. Even I end up today on a 2021 article where Maruti CTO C V Raman stated that Maruti will stay away from Diesel segment. He cited next phase of 2023 emission norms which will jack up cost of Diesel vehicles.

My monthly running would be ~ 1000 KMs. I'm planning to keep the car beyond 10 years.
I don't want to end up on a variant which is getting phased out in 1-2 years after I have purchased it. There is also a 10-year diesel ban under discussion in Chandigarh though in 2022 it has been tabled for further discussion by UT administration.

Due to all this I'm in dilemma of Petrol vs Diesel for Toyota Innova

Last edited by benbsb29 : 16th August 2022 at 04:59. Reason: Trimmed post quote.
Old 8th November 2022, 17:00   #130

Quick question. Should I buy the 2.7 Crysta, which is available now or wait for the Crysta Hycross with the 2.0 Petrol engine? I am sure it will be priced higher by at least 4 -5 lacs. But can anyone help me decide, please?

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th November 2022 at 09:45. Reason: Short words.
Old 9th November 2022, 08:18   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harifire View Post
Quick question . Should I buy the 2.7 Crysta which is available now or wait for the Crysta Hycross with the 2.0 Petrol engine ? I am sure it will be priced higher by at least 4 -5 lacs . BUt can anyone help me decide pls ?
I would suggest waiting for the Hycross to be released before you take a call. Depending on your need, you may not need the 2.7L gas guzzler after all, and a modern 2.0 might do the job pretty well.
vraned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 09:42   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harifire View Post
Quick question . Should I buy the 2.7 Crysta which is available now or wait for the Crysta Hycross with the 2.0 Petrol engine ? I am sure it will be priced higher by at least 4 -5 lacs.
One of my neighbours had the same question, but his GLS was down, so he needed something urgently. He got the Z Petrol on my recommendation last week and is super happy. So, it will all depend on how soon you need this.

I don't know for sure, but one of my knowns has been telling me about another car, smaller than Innova but larger than Ertiga, coming in November/ December first. I don't see the newer Innova anytime before February or March.

If someone wants to buy as a chauffeur driven, I will not wait and buy the current generation. If you are the one driving mostly, then the newer one should be more fun and comfortable to drive (expected).

Also, that 2,7 Ltr engine is very good, doing duty in Fortuner and Prado too. It's not at all outdated as far as engines go. If your running will be on the highways, I don't think mileage between Hybrid whenever it comes will be drastically different over this. Local usage is another matter though.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 01:01   #133
BHPian

Hello friends, I request feedback on crysta petrol automatic starting variant I3 - GX (7s) AT from owners. I am planning to buy as it's the cheapest automatic crysta. I am a sedate driver and will do not more than 12k km per year. Passenger comfort is my highest priority and am ok with compromising on driving thrill. It's around 23.5 L OTR in Kerala and I felt it's the most comfortable in that budget. Would mostly be traveling with family. I don't want to wait for diesel AT as it's almost 4L more OTR. Also don't want to go for V or Z as the added features didn't feel like VFM for extra money. Happy to hear thoughts.

Key concern I have is why petrol AT G variant vehicles are so few on the road - is it mileage, resale value or something else. Does it have mileage of >8 in the city or is it less.
Old 27th December 2022, 13:04   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystafan View Post
Hello friends, I request feedback on crysta petrol automatic starting variant I3 - GX (7s) AT from owners.
Hi,

I have the exact same model - 2.7 G AT and with usage preferences and annual mileage very similar to yours. Purchased 1.5 years ago just after it was released.

Best mileage I have seen so far has been 11Kmpl on a highway drive. Within city it always has been between 7.5-8Kmpl.

Also, Z variant was beyond my budget for features that weren't a must-have for me (auto air-con, keyless entry, start/stop, cabin illumination etc.,). After 1.5 yrs of owning the car, I don't miss any of those features. But if you do get a G model, make sure you get rear-view camera installed at the dealer. Quite good and helpful.

Hope this helps!
vraned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 13:15   #135
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the reply @vraned. Great to hear that you're happy with it. The dealer here in Calicut doesn't have a petrol AT to test drive. I hope the passenger comfort is similar to diesel crysta.
Also for rear view camera, I am thinking if it would make sense to install a third party 360 cam outside as it's a large vehicle. Are you happy with the dealer installed rear view camera?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks