Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2022, 14:11   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Driven: Volkswagen Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Dear all,
need an advice on buying a used passat. There are two examples both with close to 40000 kms driven. Tight condition, one with one owner and other with second owner. asking is 25 and 22 respectively. service records are clean. What am i looking at when opting for either of them?
Was this sold at 25.99 ex-showroom? Calculate the OTR net of discounts at that time to get an idea of the actual outflow to the first owner. Prices seem too high but then the used car market has gone crazy post-pandemic.

The vehicle itself is rock solid and the 2.0 TDI even more so. One concern is the adaptive suspension which has reputedly high replacement costs. Otherwise, the vehicle is superb (pun intended). Incidentally, what colours are they?

Again, it's a very very slow mover on resale. There was a white one in BLR (pre-pandemic) which took a huge amount to sell on.

Best of luck!

Last edited by itwasntme : 10th May 2022 at 14:12.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 09:44   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Was this sold at 25.99 ex-showroom? Calculate the OTR net of discounts at that time to get an idea of the actual outflow to the first owner. Prices seem too high but then the used car market has gone crazy post-pandemic.

The vehicle itself is rock solid and the 2.0 TDI even more so. One concern is the adaptive suspension which has reputedly high replacement costs. Otherwise, the vehicle is superb (pun intended). Incidentally, what colours are they?

Again, it's a very very slow mover on resale. There was a white one in BLR (pre-pandemic) which took a huge amount to sell on.

Best of luck!
situation here is totally different man. both cars are black. The catch is dealers know that they will find a passat guy sooner or later and not sell in hurry, specially with this kind of ODO reading and VW not offering diesel now a days. This is one of the reason of slow mover. I have given my offer for the cheaper one and i am threatened that someone has paid booking amount and closed the deal in higher than my offer, imagine. Could be true or could be a game plan to push me. Its all a mind game with this established dealers, they know they have the gold and rarity makes it more special. Imagine the second owner bought the car in 25 lacs which has original invoice of 32 lacs OTR.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 16:12   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

One concern is the adaptive suspension which has reputedly high replacement costs.
Ask me about it!

The front struts have taken 40 days to come from Germany!!!

And they cost 35K for the pair! Plus all the rubber bushings and mountings and then labour at ASC.
MileCruncher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 08:49   #319
BHPian

My 2019 highline is at 39.5k.
There have been no major failures.
Minor issues have been as follows:
Sun visor getting dislogded, noise in the rear brakes, rear sun shade popping out, and creaky sunroof. All fixed free of cost by the service centre.

The tyres will be replaced in the next 5k, not so much e they are worn out, but if I am gonna replace them, I might as well enjoy the new ones.

I'd suggest
1) get it checked by both the service centre, and an fng.
2) if the car is under 4 yrs, get the extended 2 yr warranty even if it costs you a lot.

In an era where a loaded slavia goes above 20 lac, a petrol superb goes to 40+, a 320d goes to 60+, annual mileage is 12k plus, I'd be very comfortable putting 22-25 on a highline 2.0 tdi that I intend to use for 4-5 yrs. I know I will easily take mine to 100k with the fngs help post the 6yr warranty period.
srgntpepper is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 10:41   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Ask me about it!
Milecruncher, was there any formal diagnostic about why they failed in <4 years? How much has it run and/or did the original owner thrash the suspension? Unless the 'normal' life on Indian roads of this feature is anyway very low as per the service techs?

65K is not a small sum
Old 15th May 2022, 13:32   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Milecruncher, was there any formal diagnostic about why they failed in <4 years? How much has it run and/or did the original owner thrash the suspension? Unless the 'normal' life on Indian roads of this feature is anyway very low as per the service techs?

65K is not a small sum
The car had done about 58k in 3.5 years and one of the dampers had started leaking. 58K is a good duration for a damper, so am not surprised.

However am surprised that the rear dampers are in decent condition, so haven't changed them yet.

BTW some part costs for reference purposes:
  1. Damper Pair - 35.5K
  2. Buffer set - 11K
  3. Boot - 2700
  4. Stud mount - 4500
  5. Bearing - 2400
  6. Labour -3K
Total Bill - 59K
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 10:44   #322
BHPian

Quote:
The car had done about 58k in 3.5 years and one of the dampers had started leaking..

BTW some part costs for reference purposes:
  1. Damper Pair - 35.5K
  2. Buffer set - 11K
  3. Boot - 2700
  4. Stud mount - 4500
  5. Bearing - 2400
  6. Labour -3K
Total Bill - 59K
What was the reason for changing so many other parts besides the front strut pair ?
Old 27th June 2022, 14:16   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishesh View Post
What was the reason for changing so many other parts besides the front strut pair ?
Because they are all part of the sub-assembly of front shockers and need changing when you change the shock absorbers.
Old 28th June 2022, 01:09   #324
BHPian

Quote:
I just got myself a July 2018 registered Passat B8 Highline and boy it is a feature loaded car.
Hi, do you mind sharing how much you paid for the car ? If you wish, you can inform me via a private message
Old 3rd September 2022, 11:27   #325
BHPian

My friend's passat got water damaged recently and the control unit(under the seat) which controls the electronic seat adjustment isn't working now, is there a way to source this? Moreover is this unit common between passat and superb? His passat is the last generation which was sold.

The seat is not moving front and back but rest other functions are working, and 360 camera isn't working. These are the 2 issues which he's facing after water got into the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: Volkswagen Passat-img20220901wa0025.jpg  

Driven: Volkswagen Passat-img20220901wa0027.jpg  

Old 3rd September 2022, 11:46   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
My friend's passat got water damaged recently and the control unit(under the seat) which controls the electronic seat adjustment isn't working now, is there a way to source this? Moreover is this unit common between passat and superb? His passat is the last generation which was sold.

The seat is not moving front and back but rest other functions are working, and 360 camera isn't working. These are the 2 issues which he's facing after water got into the car.
Claim under insurance if possible? Buying / sourcing a module directly from VW can be expensive. If he intends to keep the car for a long period of time, it may be worth getting it repaired at an authorized VW service center (peace of mind about repair quality + new part warranty).

Alternatively if an insurance claim isn't possible or if your friend does not want to work with VW service, try contacting used part sellers. This will be cheaper, but no guarantee about part quality / condition.

Getting used parts in the open market for the B8 Passat can be difficult considering they didn't sell as many compared to a Superb (for example).
Old 15th November 2022, 12:09   #327
Senior - BHPian

Today morning, during the first startup, suddenly my Passat gave low coolant warning on dashboard. I checked below the engine, no sign of any coolant.

Topped up about 200ml and took to the ASC and they checked and said no leakage anywhere. Bought a bottle of premixed coolant and came home. Have been asked to monitor.

Is coolant consumption a standard noted issue in Passat B8? My car has done 71.5K Kms and I have owned it for 8 months ( 12K Kms ) and this is the first time. I know the standard diagnostics in this are:
  1. Pipeline leakage
  2. Water pump
  3. Head Gasket leakage
Anything else that I'm missing? Car is approaching 4.5 years and is under extended warranty.

Also the roof liner is slowly coming off. ASC said its not covered under EW. Is it true? I remember a member here had gotten it replaced under warranty.
Old 15th November 2022, 12:21   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today morning, during the first startup, suddenly my Passat gave low coolant warning on dashboard. I checked below the engine, no sign of any coolant.

Topped up about 200ml and took to the ASC and they checked and said no leakage anywhere. Bought a bottle of premixed coolant and came home. Have been asked to monitor.

Is coolant consumption a standard noted issue in Passat B8? My car has done 71.5K Kms and I have owned it for 8 months ( 12K Kms ) and this is the first time. I know the standard diagnostics in this are:
  1. Pipeline leakage
  2. Water pump
  3. Head Gasket leakage
Anything else that I'm missing? Car is approaching 4.5 years and is under extended warranty.

Please get the area around the water pump checked! Water pumps are notorious for failure including leaking and seizure both of which we have experienced! That's the only possible place it can leak unless the engine is overheating or something.

You may want to get a second opinion with an FNG experienced with these complex Germans.

Last edited by Turbohead : 15th November 2022 at 12:22.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 13:07   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99octane View Post
Hi! I'm looking to getting a pre owned example from 2018/19 and am specifically looking for a post update connect model with the larger infotainment screen and cooled seats. Please PM me if there are any leads!!

Preferences are low kms and the color white because the passat looks so regal in it!!

Please let me know what are some known issues with this gen of the passat, if any and the price I should expect to pick it up at.
I'm looking to upgrade from a 70k kms run Jetta and am open to other options as the learned members of teambhp may suggest!

Mod note: if this is the wrong thread, please repost and help me out..
I am on the look too, when did the cooling seats and big screen happen ?
Old 8th January 2023, 12:52   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Today morning, during the first startup, suddenly my Passat gave low coolant warning on dashboard. I checked below the engine, no sign of any coolant..........Also the roof liner is slowly coming off. ASC said its not covered under EW. Is it true? I remember a member here had gotten it replaced under warranty.
Hey,
I have been topping my coolant every now and then, whenever it comes Close to the ===MIN=== MARKER.
So far I have consumed around 150ml (half of the mixed coolant bottle), since the ownership began and I am just at half the milage as you are.
Also During A Service cycle i.e 15k kms my car also consumes around 200 to 250ml of Engine Oil. Considering a VW this is normal consumption, of which VW never informs their customers.
These things should not be a worry, until the time they reduce drastically in a short Span of Time i.e FULL TO EMPTY within a month. Then you need to check for leakages.
So far on the Roof Liner Warranty front, Yes there are members who were Lucky and smartly pursuant, but to my confirmation VW does not honour claims on Plastic, Fabric and Few Electronic parts during the EXTENDED Warranty period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
I am on the look too, when did the cooling seats and big screen happen ?
Make Year May 2018, onwards till Last sold in July/August 2019.

Last edited by Kanboy : 8th January 2023 at 12:58.
Kanboy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks